2010-2011 Duke-NUS GMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Singapore government plans to make the country the biomedical hub of asia, and the establishment of duke-nus is an important part of the plan.

are you currently in sg, talktohui? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

are you currently in sg, talktohui? :idea:

No, I am currently in Shanghai and have been to Singapore twice.

Nine years ago, I had a very happy holiday in Malaysia (visited Kuala Lumpur, Melaka, Ipoh, Taiping and George Town). From that time on, I have a special feeling about Malay Peninsula. I like the people, culture, sunshine and sea breeze there.

I guess you are in sg, am I right?:laugh:

No, I am currently in Shanghai and have been to Singapore twice.

Nine years ago, I had a very happy holiday in Malaysia (visited Kuala Lumpur, Melaka, Ipoh, Taiping and George Town). From that time on, I have a special feeling about Malay Peninsula. I like the people, culture, sunshine and sea breeze there.

I guess you are in sg, am I right?:laugh:

hah,nice! i was born in Jiangsu province :p but i moved to the US many years ago:D Right now, I am just drooling all over the awesome food in sg :laugh:

Btw, are you applying to the MD or MD/PhD program? :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you applied to the MD program? From what I know, with scholarships + bursaries + loans, it can cover up to 90% of your tuition :smuggrin:

Yes, I applied to the MD program. I know you can get loans that cover 100%. But I was curious if scholarships alone (merit + financial need based) can also cover a significant portion of your tuition for 4 years. They did mention that they even offer bursaries for living expenses to highly qualified students, so it is encouraging!

hah,nice! i was born in Jiangsu province :p but i moved to the US many years ago:D Right now, I am just drooling all over the awesome food in sg :laugh:

Btw, are you applying to the MD or MD/PhD program? :thumbup:

I was also born in Jiangsu.:laugh:

Which sg food do you like best? I prefer fried rice and sea food.

I am applying to the MD/PhD progam. How about you?

Hey Guys,

I thought it would be helpful to everyone if those who have attended interviews already can list the number of candidates that were there on applicant day. This way, we can sort of get an idea of our chances. How about we use the following format:

Interview date/location: Jan. 5th, 2011 in San Francisco
Number of candidates at interview: 8

I was also born in Jiangsu.:laugh:

Which sg food do you like best? I prefer fried rice and sea food.

I am applying to the MD/PhD progam. How about you?

I like all those tropical fruits the best, haha. I hear they have awesome food on the interview day :p

I am really interested in the MD program cuz I really want to go back to Asia :laugh:

Anyone knows when's the next time admissions committee will be reviewing our cases? As well as when offer letters will be sent?

Hey Guys,

I thought it would be helpful to everyone if those who have attended interviews already can list the number of candidates that were there on applicant day. This way, we can sort of get an idea of our chances. How about we use the following format:

Interview date/location: Jan. 5th, 2011 in San Francisco
Number of candidates at interview: 8

From past threads, they interview around 150 of 800 applicants, and accept around 50-60 (they used to have data posted on their website). Since there will be declines to offers, around 70-80 applicants should be accepted in the end. Duke-NUS claims to have more number of applicants this year, so if we make that to 1000, they will probably interview 200?

So far, it seems that they interview 20 at each Singapore session, and 8 at each US session.

I like all those tropical fruits the best, haha. I hear they have awesome food on the interview day :p

I am really interested in the MD program cuz I really want to go back to Asia :laugh:

I don't know about the Singapore session, but in the US one, we had hotel catering :D

From past threads, they interview around 150 of 800 applicants, and accept around 50-60 (they used to have data posted on their website). Since there will be declines to offers, around 70-80 applicants should be accepted in the end. Duke-NUS claims to have more number of applicants this year, so if we make that to 1000, they will probably interview 200?

So far, it seems that they interview 20 at each Singapore session, and 8 at each US session.

Thanks for your reply! Those numbers seem reasonable and certainly suggests they aren't simply interviewing most applicants. That's good to know.

I just received my email to fill out the financial needs information. As a North American, my decision to attend Duke-NUS would be contingent on receiving financial support that covers 90+% of my tuition fees.

Also, for anyone applying with a PhD, you do have the option of finishing your degree in 3 years instead of 4, which is fantastic! Since the 3rd year is devoted to research, those who have completed a PhD can opt out of that year and work as a postdoc or commence 4th year clinical rotations.

You were referring to their very first batch? Because the number was around 300 applicants then; it was reported here http://dukechronicle.com/article/singapore-med-school-stays-right-track

Each Singapore session has about 10-15 applicants from what I heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
So no one has any idea when's the next adcom meeting?
How unnerving

So no one has any idea when's the next adcom meeting?
How unnerving

Given how they don't even publish their application statistics, I think knowing their internal adcom review dates is next to impossible. At my Jan. 5th interview, I was told that we can expect to receive offers towards the end of March or early April at the earliest. I also know that they have interview dates in March for people who will be writing the MCAT between now and March (still for acceptance in 2011, not next year). So that suggests they have adcom meetings as late as sometime in March.

Thanks for the reply.
Hmmmm I sure there will be answers in between those dates though.

just got back from the 12th Durham one, actually forgot to count,i think around 14 ppl -.- was too nervous and kept going over prepared interview questions over and over again,haha

dr.kamei said the same thing, decisions will be late march and early April

gl everyone! /fingercrossed

just got back from the 12th Durham one, actually forgot to count,i think around 14 ppl -.- was too nervous and kept going over prepared interview questions over and over again,haha

dr.kamei said the same thing, decisions will be late march and early April

gl everyone! /fingercrossed

hmmm, interesting 14 ppl eh? So I guess this rules out the theory of 8 at each US site.

I too was practicing my interview Q's in my head, though it turned out my interview was soooo laid back. I had no ethics questions asked and the only typical interview questions I had was why a doctor and why Duke-NUS?

All three interviewers spent more time telling me about and selling Duke-NUS to me than listen to me sell myself! This had me thinking whether they were desperate for students, but in hindsight, I think they just wanted to make sure we understood where they stand as a new school still trying to establish an identity and teaching methods/reputation, etc.

Or it could be that I am such an awesome candidate that they wanted to impress me :D:laugh:

hmmm, interesting 14 ppl eh? So I guess this rules out the theory of 8 at each US site.

I too was practicing my interview Q's in my head, though it turned out my interview was soooo laid back. I had no ethics questions asked and the only typical interview questions I had was why a doctor and why Duke-NUS?

All three interviewers spent more time telling me about and selling Duke-NUS to me than listen to me sell myself! This had me thinking whether they were desperate for students, but in hindsight, I think they just wanted to make sure we understood where they stand as a new school still trying to establish an identity and teaching methods/reputation, etc.

Or it could be that I am such an awesome candidate that they wanted to impress me :D:laugh:

Three interviewers? My session only had two, and neither talked about the school at all actually during the interview. They asked about my family background, work experience, any other non-medical related goals that I wish to achieve in the future, etc.

Three interviewers? My session only had two, and neither talked about the school at all actually during the interview. They asked about my family background, work experience, any other non-medical related goals that I wish to achieve in the future, etc.

Yes, the Jan. 5th applicant day had 3 interviewers: 1) Dr. Kamei 2) A local doctor from the San Fran area and 3) 1st year student from Duke-NUS.

I really did find the interviews were quite laid back and I would say more than 50% of the time was spent on pitching the school to me rather than the other way around as at other schools. I am not sure if all interviews on Jan. 5th were conducted in this fashion or if I was an anomaly. For what it's worth (and not to tout my own horn at all), but I would think my application ranks very highly at any top tier school in the US, so maybe they realized this and wanted to give me the sales pitch. One of the interviewers did openly ask me if I would choose Duke-NUS over a top US school.

Yes, the Jan. 5th applicant day had 3 interviewers: 1) Dr. Kamei 2) A local doctor from the San Fran area and 3) 1st year student from Duke-NUS.

I really did find the interviews were quite laid back and I would say more than 50% of the time was spent on pitching the school to me rather than the other way around as at other schools. I am not sure if all interviews on Jan. 5th were conducted in this fashion or if I was an anomaly. For what it's worth (and not to tout my own horn at all), but I would think my application ranks very highly at any top tier school in the US, so maybe they realized this and wanted to give me the sales pitch. One of the interviewers did openly ask me if I would choose Duke-NUS over a top US school.

Why would you even apply to Duke-NUS in the first place? I'm just curious since Duke-NUS is really an IMG school if you plan to practice in US eventually. If your application is that strong, you would get in somewhere for sure in the US. While I'm sure your application must be stellar, I don't think anyone can safely say that his/her application would rank very highly at any top tier US school. I mean, not even a 4.0gpa and 40 MCAT can guarantee anything at top tier schools, unless you have some mind-blowing achievements in research and/or other extracurricular activities. Just to let you know, my application isn't in the cream of the crop for sure, but they also asked if I would choose them over a top US school=)

haha.. I got so nervous cuz I prepared so many things that i wanted to get across to the school. >.<

Last edited:
Why would you even apply to Duke-NUS in the first place? I'm just curious since Duke-NUS is really an IMG school if you plan to practice in US eventually. If your application is that strong, you would get in somewhere for sure in the US. While I'm sure your application must be stellar, I don't think anyone can safely say that his/her application would rank very highly at any top tier US school. I mean, not even a 4.0gpa and 40 MCAT can guarantee anything at top tier schools, unless you have some mind-blowing achievements in research and/or other extracurricular activities. Just to let you know, my application isn't in the cream of the crop for sure, but they also asked if I would choose them over a top US school=)

yea..my day, we had a guy with 43 MCAT -.- he told us he had several offers from top us ones already 0.0

Honestly, I applied because the application has no fees and I had 3 out of the 4 essay questions already completed as part of my other applications. So I just got my stuff together for Duke-NUS at the last minute. I am Asian so I certainly wouldn't mind going to Duke-NUS though (I love Singapore). But only if I get full financial support for 90+% of tuition (scholarships + financial aid). This is actually hard to get in the US, so that is one advantage to Duke-NUS over top US schools.

As for coming back to US as IMG, it's not that difficult after the bond commitment since ACGME-I will have evolved by then to fast-track accredited IMGs back into US system (Duke-NUS would be top pick here). But I actually would like to settle in Asia, so that's another reason for Duke-NUS.

Honestly, I applied because the application has no fees and I had 3 out of the 4 essay questions already completed as part of my other applications. So I just got my stuff together for Duke-NUS at the last minute. I am Asian so I certainly wouldn't mind going to Duke-NUS though (I love Singapore). But only if I get full financial support for 90+% of tuition (scholarships + financial aid). This is actually hard to get in the US, so that is one advantage to Duke-NUS over top US schools.

As for coming back to US as IMG, it's not that difficult after the bond commitment since ACGME-I will have evolved by then to fast-track accredited IMGs back into US system (Duke-NUS would be top pick here). But I actually would like to settle in Asia, so that's another reason for Duke-NUS.

I think Duke-NUS is a good choice if one want to settle in aisa, especially settle in sgp.

Oh I see. I'm a Canadian (and Asian) so spots for medical schools are pretty limited here, hence I have to apply very broadly. Plus many of my relatives live in Singapore so that's another reason why I don't mind settling there.

Last edited:
Has anyone contacted the school for updates on the outcome?

I was told those who rank highly would be accepted and informed within two weeks from the date of his/her interview.

I was told those who rank highly would be accepted and informed within two weeks from the date of his/her interview.

So far, only some of the early interviewees were accepted.

They do rolling admissions, but it's simply based on when your file gets reviewed by the adcom, not necessarily cherry-picked for what they deem to be top candidates. At my interview on Jan. 5th, I was told offers will only begin sometime in March and occur right up till the end of April. Whether this holds true for those interviewed prior to Jan. 5th, I'm not sure.

They do rolling admissions, but it's simply based on when your file gets reviewed by the adcom, not necessarily cherry-picked for what they deem to be top candidates. At my interview on Jan. 5th, I was told offers will only begin sometime in March and occur right up till the end of April. Whether this holds true for those interviewed prior to Jan. 5th, I'm not sure.

i like strawberries better :laugh:

Hey guys, are there any other Applicant Day dates coming up? Trying to get a sense of when the results will be released.

Anduril1: where did you hear about the two weeks timeline for top applicants? I was told on my Applicant Day all results will only be out around April 2011.

It was from the admission staff during the day of interview. Two weeks, or you wait (because you would be on waitlist) until April.

It was from the admission staff during the day of interview. Two weeks, or you wait (because you would be on waitlist) until April.

I find that very surprising, because I was specifically told that offers will not begin until March/April at my interview on Jan. 5th (no such thing as top candidates getting first offers).

When was your interview and did Dr. Kamei mention this himself to you? Was it in Singapore? I am wondering whether there is a difference for those interviewed prior to January and/or in Singapore vs. overseas.

In fact, you only submit your financial aid info 2 weeks after your interview. So I cannot see how they will give you an offer of admission without having assessed that info (they send you financial aid/scholarships offers the same time as the offer of admission).

Can anyone else confirm either the March/April or the 2-weeks post-interview dates for offers being sent out?

I find that very surprising, because I was specifically told that offers will not begin until March/April at my interview on Jan. 5th (no such thing as top candidates getting first offers).

When was your interview and did Dr. Kamei mention this himself to you? Was it in Singapore? I am wondering whether there is a difference for those interviewed prior to January and/or in Singapore vs. overseas.

In fact, you only submit your financial aid info 2 weeks after your interview. So I cannot see how they will give you an offer of admission without having assessed that info (they send you financial aid/scholarships offers the same time as the offer of admission).

Can anyone else confirm either the March/April or the 2-weeks post-interview dates for offers being sent out?

I was one of the early interview applicant in US and Dr. Kamei did not mention anything about the two weeks notification. For us, we either get accepted in December (very few) or wait till March/April. I've heard of the two weeks notification from previous cohorts but this year is different due to the introduction of the early applicant phase, I think.

i had my interview day at US, and we were told letters will go out later march or early april. maybe he heard the 2 weeks thing from his singapore interview?

So to summarize, it seems that US applicants are generally told that their results will be out in March and April regardless of the strength of their application.

Can anyone else from the Singapore campus verify if the two weeks notification for stellar applicants is true (any longer would automatically means we are on the waitlist)? This is all every confusing! :confused:

So to summarize, it seems that US applicants are generally told that their results will be out in March and April regardless of the strength of their application.

Can anyone else from the Singapore campus verify if the two weeks notification for stellar applicants is true (any longer would automatically means we are on the waitlist)? This is all every confusing! :confused:

to be honest, i hardly believe the 2-week thing, even for top top applicants. they invite you to the FA registration after the interview and give you 2 weeks to complete it. and they send the offers right after it? i highly doubt it..but you never know, maybe you will get the letter within one week with 45 MCAT,4.0 GPA and 2 science papers :laugh:

"Two weeks" was what was specified, not by Dr Kamei, but by one of the admission officers.

While I also doubt it would be within two weeks, I do think offers will be made fairly quickly if your application is strong. In fact, they are already giving out offers.

"Two weeks" was what was specified, not by Dr Kamei, but by one of the admission officers.

While I also doubt it would be within two weeks, I do think offers will be made fairly quickly if your application is strong. In fact, they are already giving out offers.

If I recall, you had your interview in November as part of the early acceptance batch, correct? Perhaps you guys were considered for quicker (as fast as 2-weeks post-interview) offers. But I think all candidates from the regular Dec. 1st deadline are being evaluated as a "group" and they will make final offers in March/April, and not before. There was no mention of any possibility of top candidates being ushered to the front of the line.

The other possibility is that MD/PhD applicants are notified earlier than MD-only applicants (some schools in the US do this). Either way, don't worry guys if you thought your application was of top standing and you haven't heard back yet. I think the vast majority of us will hear back in March/April.

Believe in yourself and you will succeed!

fingers crossed :xf:

If I recall, you had your interview in November as part of the early acceptance batch, correct? Perhaps you guys were considered for quicker (as fast as 2-weeks post-interview) offers. But I think all candidates from the regular Dec. 1st deadline are being evaluated as a "group" and they will make final offers in March/April, and not before. There was no mention of any possibility of top candidates being ushered to the front of the line.

The other possibility is that MD/PhD applicants are notified earlier than MD-only applicants (some schools in the US do this). Either way, don't worry guys if you thought your application was of top standing and you haven't heard back yet. I think the vast majority of us will hear back in March/April.

I was in the early acceptance batch too but the 2 weeks notification did not apply to us. I believe we all got a notification in early December if we were accepted or would be further reviewed along with the regular pool.

Does anyone know how many more rounds of interviews will there be? Also, does anyone knows how many acceptances (and seats left) have been given out already?

What a nail-biting wait this is turning out to be! :oops:

Does anyone know how many more rounds of interviews will there be? Also, does anyone knows how many acceptances (and seats left) have been given out already?

What a nail-biting wait this is turning out to be! :oops:

:(:(:( I have been waiting since 23 Sep 2010. :sleep::sleep::sleep:

I wasn't in the early applicant batch, although the interview invitation came prior to the regular deadline.

Anyway, the two-week comment was made when one of the applicants asked about when the result would be out. The admission staff was probably basing the comment on past year's experience.

I do think offers are in the pipeline and will come out in phases, and that's applicable to everyone who had been interviewed. They want to avoid last-minute rejection of offers.

You may contact the school if you are anxious about your application status; they told us so. Guess they understand that waiting isn't fun!

hi all, did any of you guys apply to the MD/PhD program? I am just wondering how many offers they will give out ppl who applied to the dual program :idea:

Is there anyone here who applied and did NOT receive an interview? I know the regular posters in this thread have all had interviews, but is there someone who did not receive an interview? This might give us insight into just how selective/un-selective they are this year (i.e. did everyone who applied get interviewed?).

Is there anyone who received interviews with less than 30 MCAT?

I know there are more interviews in March in the US. Presumably the last batch of interviews if March/April is decision time.

hi all, did any of you guys apply to the MD/PhD program? I am just wondering how many offers they will give out ppl who applied to the dual program :idea:
Hi, kahome! I am applying to the MD/PhD. Interviewed on 16 Dec. Still waiting for the results now.

Status
Not open for further replies.