2008-2009 Wake Forest University Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump. Quiet around here lately. Anybody's app getting discussed next Wednesday along with mine (10th)??

For those of you who have gone through the decision process, what is the consensus? Friday notifications for all? I guess it looks that way looking back over the thread. The 12th it is...:scared::D:rolleyes:

I received e-mail notification on a Monday

Members don't see this ad.

I just tried checking my status and it said that it couldn't find my application number. Has anybody else had that problem? Does it mean I have been rejected?

I just tried to check mine and I got the same error. Something about data requested not existing. But my status was still pending (or whatever euphemism they use for "You Have to Wait Longer...muhaha!") last week. Probably something wrong on their end.

Anybody receive any interview invites recently? I'm still patiently waiting for them to dip into my "interview pool", which is seemingly the second tier of applicants that they want to interview if they have the time/need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone here who has already been accepted since being placed on the waitlist?

Anybody receive any interview invites recently? I'm still patiently waiting for them to dip into my "interview pool", which is seemingly the second tier of applicants that they want to interview if they have the time/need.

Me too. If I ever call and ask, all I get is "All I can tell you is..." basically I'm on hold.

for those on hold pre-interview, how did you find out? did the status page change from just saying your app is complete?

for those on hold pre-interview, how did you find out? did the status page change from just saying your app is complete?

I had to call. They won't tell you much.

Is there anyone here who has already been accepted since being placed on the waitlist?

Though Wake's waitlist moves alot, I don't expect it to move until they have finished giving out initial offers, or until a large number of accepted students withdraw their acceptances. I would think that neither of those situations would arise until atleast after the new year. Movement is most likely after financial aid comes out in april.

Does anyone know if Wake is one of those schools that ONLY initially accepts as many students as they have seats? I can't recall from the info session. That would be one explaination for their large waitlist movement, and the large number of students on this board who have been put on the waitlist.

I'll be voted on tomorrow, AHHHH :eek:

Though Wake's waitlist moves alot, I don't expect it to move until they have finished giving out initial offers, or until a large number of accepted students withdraw their acceptances. I would think that neither of those situations would arise until atleast after the new year. Movement is most likely after financial aid comes out in april.

Does anyone know if Wake is one of those schools that ONLY initially accepts as many students as they have seats? I can't recall from the info session. That would be one explaination for their large waitlist movement, and the large number of students on this board who have been put on the waitlist.

I'll be voted on tomorrow, AHHHH :eek:

Scean,

People can come off the WL at anytime. Everyone is under active consideration at each meeting, according to the information presented at my interview day.

I emailed them about something else regarding my app, and after answering that question they mentioned my status of being in an "interview pool, but not the one they are currently selecting from."

Scean,

People can come off the WL at anytime. Everyone is under active consideration at each meeting, according to the information presented at my interview day.

Good call chuck, sorry for the mis-info, that was just my speculation.

Should have listened more closely. Do you know about the initial acceptance number? Do they initially accept more students than they have seats? Also, does anyone recall exactly how many seats they will have this year? (I think it was increased a tad)

Good call chuck, sorry for the mis-info, that was just my speculation.

Should have listened more closely. Do you know about the initial acceptance number? Do they initially accept more students than they have seats? Also, does anyone recall exactly how many seats they will have this year? (I think it was increased a tad)

No problem, there is so much info out there it is easy to miss something. I don't have info on the other numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the entering class profile on their website, the entering class of 2006 had 114 people matriculate.

They accepted 257people, IF IF IF they initially only accept for the number of seats available (which for some reason I feel like they do) then you are looking at HUGE waitlist movement (over 140 ppl accepted of the waitlist!!!)

......maybe that is not the case, it seems ridiculous.....

According to the entering class profile on their website, the entering class of 2006 had 114 people matriculate.

They accepted 257people, IF IF IF they initially only accept for the number of seats available (which for some reason I feel like they do) then you are looking at HUGE waitlist movement (over 140 ppl accepted of the waitlist!!!)

......maybe that is not the case, it seems ridiculous.....

Let's look at a probable/worst case scenario.... Some schools accept @ a 2-1 ratio.

And the data I have from USNWR Fall 2007 Class:
501 Interviewed
276 Accepted
120 Enrolled
And they are shooting for 120 again this year.

So if they do 120 acceptances only, that would be huge wait list movement, of 156.

If they do 1.5 acceptances per spot pre-WL move, that would give a WL move of 96, which is deep.

If they do 2 acceptances per spot, that would give a move of 36, a small movement.

Interesting numbers.

I like the breakdown.....any way you slice it though, a waitlist is FAR from the end of the game ESPECIALLY at Wake. They were very vocal about the amount of movement while I was there (administrators and students alike). :thumbup:

I am almost certain they said that their waitlist moves so much becuase they do not accept more seats than they have. So they only accept 120 right off the bat until people start withdrawing.

Just saw this thread and wanted to try and help. I am a first year at Wake and can give you my experience with applying here. I interviewed in October, was waitlisted the first week of November and was accepted in late May.
After I was waitlisted, I was bummed out but still optimistic about the "you will be continually reviewed at every meeting." Don't count on this. Many many people in my class were accepted off the waitlist (I'd be willing to guess >50%), but of all the people I talked to, most were accepted after the interview season (May and later). I think there is some waitlist movement before then, but its pretty rare.
If you are waitlisted, dont take it personally or think you had a bad interview...Wake seems to waitlist a ton of people....think of it more as a 'hold.' Many of my classmates who were very competitive and accepted to other good schools were accepted off the waitlist here...its just the way they do it here for some reason. They are being honest when they say there is a lot of waitlist movement. I am pretty sure they never give out more acceptances than seats available in the class.
After I got waitlisted, I wrote 3 letters of interest/intent I think. I would assume they helped, but cannot say that for sure. My feeling with Wake is that if you really want to go there, you should be able to get off the waitlist. Because they interview such a small % of applicants, you know you are in really good shape if you get invited to interview. After that they just want to know you really want to go there, so show your interest. A lot of people drop off the waitlist bc they dont want to wait any longer, so your chances of being accepted after interviewing are really >50% in my mind.
I think the applicant pool is so competitive now, that they just want to give everybody an equal chance, so they end up waitlisting a ton of people and making decisions later on.
Also, there is a wide range of people in our class. Some people did not do great on their MCAT, many seemed to do very well. Again, if you interviewed, you are in great shape.
Hope this helps. I dont really use this website anymore, but if you have any other questions, I will try and check this at some point.

thanks vin, i was pretty bummed about my waitlist designation at wake, it was my first decision i had heard from anyone and it felt like a rejection to me to tell you the truth, but everything i have heard tells me that i still have a chance...

hey guys..just thought i would send out some congratulations to the people that have been accepted to Wake so far...some good lucks to those waitlisted..and keep trucking to those that are none of the above..a very stressful process..but i do wish all you the best...i love the school..:D

Interviewed this week.... here's to the #1 choice!..... now the wait

From the looks of the those who have spoken up in the thread it's just me and you this time around Clp.....Hopefully both of us will be hearing some great news in the next few hours :thumbup: Good luck!

From the looks of the those who have spoken up in the thread it's just me and you this time around Clp.....Hopefully both of us will be hearing some great news in the next few hours :thumbup: Good luck!
good luck!

I will most likely be giving up an acceptance or waitlist spot if i'm not rejected, which I don't think anyone is after an interview there. I'll be at UNC next year. I didn't want to wait for the financial package at each school and couldn't take up more than one spot if I knew where I wanted to go. Primarily because it hurts everyone else's chances and I couldn't understand picking a school for financial reasons. I just couldn't get my W letter to them in time for the committee and just said forget it. So good luck to you guys, I'm sure we'll know very soon. BTW, Wake is an awesome school.

Thanks chubby! (have you received your full ride scholarship from wake yet? :D)

Clp: glad you found your place, enjoy the rest of a relaxing year :thumbup:

I'm waiting too! I interviewed a week and a half ago and I'm a little nervous!

W from ECU too. I have friends who deserve a spot and I feel like everyone should do their part to make sure the process is most efficient. Plus, thats the reason there is so much WL movement later on, because ppl hold multiple acceptances. I think its ridiculous to be holding multiple spots if you're 100% certain.

W from ECU too. I have friends who deserve a spot and I feel like everyone should do their part to make sure the process is most efficient. Plus, thats the reason there is so much WL movement later on, because ppl hold multiple acceptances. I think its ridiculous to be holding multiple spots if you're 100% certain.

congrats on chapel hill i'm slightly jealous, if you get accepted at wake let them know that you withdraw, but i am still alive and wouldn't mind going there...

congrats on chapel hill i'm slightly jealous, if you get accepted at wake let them know that you withdraw, but i am still alive and wouldn't mind going there...

There is one thing for sure about this process. Its not over till its over and a lot happens in between. lol. Good luck worrier.

Thanks chubby! (have you received your full ride scholarship from wake yet? :D)

Clp: glad you found your place, enjoy the rest of a relaxing year :thumbup:
lmao...not likely.

That would be nice though, then my cycle would be over with.

nope, still waiting, did the committee meet on Monday?

I thought they met this past Wed...

I just tried to check my status and got a weird error message and could not log in. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe they are working on status updates right now...

nope, still waiting, did the committee meet on Monday?

The commitiee definitley met on Wednesday.

Nothing here either. GaaaaaH! I do NOT want to have to wait it out all weekend............

My biggest question is... What actually goes on during these meetings. I mean reviewing a good 50 aps means they maybe spend like 5 minutes on each person. If that. I'm guessing this is whyeveryone says it's a crapshoot

oh well, I guess Monday it is.....

Weird that the past two meeting cycles had Accept/WL notifications go out on the Friday after, maybe we all got rejected? :eek: (I'll just stick to the monday scenario)

Have a good weekend everybody.

oh well, I guess Monday it is.....

Weird that the past two meeting cycles had Accept/WL notifications go out on the Friday after, maybe we all got rejected? :eek: (I'll just stick to the monday scenario)

Have a good weekend everybody.

chill out i got wl 10/13, which i believe was amonday

what time did you find out on monday?

Hey anyone here applying to Wake forest early assurance? If so, when/did you interview?

Woke up this morning to a status change:

"Your application is on the wait list and under active consideration. You will be notified of any status change."

Well damn, I just had such a great gut feeling about my interview at wake.......:(

Looks like a nice update letter is now on my to-do list for christmas break.

I am on the waitlist too - I now have the same message. Is "active consideration" a good sign? Or is that what they tell everyone who is on the waitlist?

"Your application is on the wait list and under active consideration. You will be notified of any status change."

Well damn, I just had such a great gut feeling about my interview at wake.......:(

Have you received an email yet?

nope no email, i assume it will come around closing time (5-6ish)

Just got my alternate list email...they said in the email that last year, over 1/3 of their class was selected from the alternate list.

I'm declining my interview invitation. I just got into SUNY Upstate and really don't see myself picking Wake Forest over Upstate (due to personal reasons). I hope one of you guys will benefit from it. Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited:
Anything new from Wake anyone? I'm still on the waitlist... I don't expect it to move much until around March...

Anybody receive an interview invite recently? And if so, how far out was it?

Anybody receive an interview invite recently? And if so, how far out was it?

I was told that I was eligible to schedule one, just that they were not scheduling for February yet.

That's weird because they let me schedule for Feb 3rd. All of January is full.

Status
Not open for further replies.