2020-2021 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there will be more information sessions after March 3rd? Just got an II this afternoon(yay!), but it says I need to complete the AAMC VITA prior to the interview and that the VITA invitations come out on Thursdays, but the only available information session is next Wednesday, March 3rd. Just wondering how I am supposed to complete the VITA first if the only information session is going to happen before I get the invite to do the VITA.

Members don't see this ad.

No idea how many information sessions are left. The sessions themselves are very casual. They aren't actually interviewing you...just showing you what the school/faculty are like. So I would just get it done when they send you the vita invite. I'm sure if you call admissions on Monday they will be helpful in sorting it out--or at least making you feel less worried. In the mean time, don't spend your weekend stressing. Good luck!

Hey y’all! My question is for current students or anyone who knows of this situation. I have seen and heard online that Wake Forest provides students with computers. However, in the Next Steps email they sent after acceptance, they mentioned that we need to bring our own laptops. Which is it? Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a few people have been offered full rides here but does anyone know when the bulk of award packages/scholarships are offered?

Hey y’all! My question is for current students or anyone who knows of this situation. I have seen and heard online that Wake Forest provides students with computers. However, in the Next Steps email they sent after acceptance, they mentioned that we need to bring our own laptops. Which is it? Lol
So in previous years wake did. I am an M1, and we had to buy our own (could be anything for the most part), and wake reimbursed us for our computers. Since COVID is still a thing I am assuming that is the same for you all, though that's just a guess. The good news is if you are a mac user you can keep using it, the bad news is the tech people at the med school are really good a fixing a specific type of hp, so I am assuming the tech support is not as great for us as in previous years.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I was just wondering for those who’ve been accepted, if you had to pay a deposit to hold your seat? All that comes up in my portal is submitting the form of whether you want to accept or decline. I’ve already clicked accept and there’s nothing else on my portal. Is that all I should do? Thanks!

Hey guys, I was just wondering for those who’ve been accepted, if you had to pay a deposit to hold your seat? All that comes up in my portal is submitting the form of whether you want to accept or decline. I’ve already clicked accept and there’s nothing else on my portal. Is that all I should do? Thanks!
No enrollment fee!

That is the last freebie of medical school for almost all of us! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hey future Deacon Docs! Congratulations to all of those who have been accepted during this cycle and to those of you who are still on the waitlist, keep your heads up! Also best of luck to those of you all interviewing soon. I know that this is an exciting time but also filled with lots of unknowns for those of you about to start medical school, so I wanted to open up this as a place you are welcome to ask some older students here at Wake for any advice or thoughts now that you are a few months out from starting school. I'm a current second/third year student at Wake (third year starts next week). I know there are a few of us on SDN, from M1s to M4s, who can answer questions you might have about Wake or Winston since I know you all haven't been able to visit us in person yet this year. Y'all also have Second Look coming up in a few weeks and we are excited to meet you all there as well, but this is a free place to ask any questions you might have or to address any worries you might be thinking of during the next few weeks.

If you have been accepted, you also should have access to the class Facebook page by now, which is run by some awesome M1 students here at Wake--definitely use them as a resource too during this time as they have been through this process most recently (although they are also in an exam week so give them a break if they don't respond super quickly right now).

• Care
Hey future Deacon Docs! Congratulations to all of those who have been accepted during this cycle and to those of you who are still on the waitlist, keep your heads up! Also best of luck to those of you all interviewing soon. I know that this is an exciting time but also filled with lots of unknowns for those of you about to start medical school, so I wanted to open up this as a place you are welcome to ask some older students here at Wake for any advice or thoughts now that you are a few months out from starting school. I'm a current second/third year student at Wake (third year starts next week). I know there are a few of us on SDN, from M1s to M4s, who can answer questions you might have about Wake or Winston since I know you all haven't been able to visit us in person yet this year. Y'all also have Second Look coming up in a few weeks and we are excited to meet you all there as well, but this is a free place to ask any questions you might have or to address any worries you might be thinking of during the next few weeks.

If you have been accepted, you also should have access to the class Facebook page by now, which is run by some awesome M1 students here at Wake--definitely use them as a resource too during this time as they have been through this process most recently (although they are also in an exam week so give them a break if they don't respond super quickly right now).
Thank you! I was looking at the nearby apartments and most seem expensive for just a 1 bedroom. I'm not sure how much others spend on rent or if it would be too much to be paying $1000-$1500 a month. What do you think?

Thank you! I was looking at the nearby apartments and most seem expensive for just a 1 bedroom. I'm not sure how much others spend on rent or if it would be too much to be paying $1000-$1500 a month. What do you think?
Hey! Wake M4 (almost, 1 more week) here. Where and how you chose to live in medical school is very personal. What's your loan burden going to be? Do you have a car? Do your parents provide financial support? Do you have kids or a SO? Do you need space from others? What can you not live without? I live in one of the $1k-ish 1 bedrooms Downtown by the medical school. I am an older student who is living off savings and have a significant other that comes from out of town to visit. When I was looking for places, I definitely priorities things over others (ex. no roommate, washer and dryer in unit, parking included). There are plenty of cheaper 1 bedroom privately owned apartments or homes in Winston Salem and students live in them. Do not think that if you aren't living in one of the more expensive options that you will be the only one. Most people eventually move to Ardmore by the hospital to live in houses in M3 and M4. There is already a google doc in the works of places others are moving out of their spots for residency or people looking for roommates.

Reactions: 3 users
@<3ClinicalResearch gave you some good questions to answer that will help as you look at housing. You can make it as expensive or as cheap as you want if you are flexible with living arrangements--there is nothing wrong with living out in some of the suburbs of Winston (Ardmore, West End) even as a first-year (so long as you bring a car with you to school). Some people choose to live closer to downtown at least for their first year due to convenience. However, nothing in Winston-Salem is too far so even living in one of the surrounding neighborhoods only means about a 7-10 minute drive to the school and about a 3-5 minute drive to the hospital. If you have a family and want some space, I know some of my classmates live outside of Winston in some of the surrounding towns like Clemmons or Kernersville.

Reactions: 1 users
How many of us are still sitting with no pre-II rejection and no II? Maybe just like this comment instead of flooding the topic with notifications for our friends with As and WLs :) Trying to gauge where we're at.

Does anybody have any insights about whether or not we should still be hopeful to hear from Wake? I love Winston-Salem so still hoping to hear...

Reactions: 50 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many of us are still sitting with no pre-II rejection and no II? Maybe just like this comment instead of flooding the topic with notifications for our friends with As and WLs :) Trying to gauge where we're at.

Does anybody have any insights about whether or not we should still be hopeful to hear from Wake? I love Winston-Salem so still hoping to hear...
+1

I think it's been mentioned before in this thread that their last interview date is 3/10. Hoping for a last-minute II but expecting a mass execution.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hey! Wake M4 (almost, 1 more week) here. Where and how you chose to live in medical school is very personal. What's your loan burden going to be? Do you have a car? Do your parents provide financial support? Do you have kids or a SO? Do you need space from others? What can you not live without? I live in one of the $1k-ish 1 bedrooms Downtown by the medical school. I am an older student who is living off savings and have a significant other that comes from out of town to visit. When I was looking for places, I definitely priorities things over others (ex. no roommate, washer and dryer in unit, parking included). There are plenty of cheaper 1 bedroom privately owned apartments or homes in Winston Salem and students live in them. Do not think that if you aren't living in one of the more expensive options that you will be the only one. Most people eventually move to Ardmore by the hospital to live in houses in M3 and M4. There is already a google doc in the works of places others are moving out of their spots for residency or people looking for roommates.

@<3ClinicalResearch gave you some good questions to answer that will help as you look at housing. You can make it as expensive or as cheap as you want if you are flexible with living arrangements--there is nothing wrong with living out in some of the suburbs of Winston (Ardmore, West End) even as a first-year (so long as you bring a car with you to school). Some people choose to live closer to downtown at least for their first year due to convenience. However, nothing in Winston-Salem is too far so even living in one of the surrounding neighborhoods only means about a 7-10 minute drive to the school and about a 3-5 minute drive to the hospital. If you have a family and want some space, I know some of my classmates live outside of Winston in some of the surrounding towns like Clemmons or Kernersville.
Thank you! This is really helpful. I definitely want to live on my own and considering all the apartments near the school. However, I asked because if there were other options for housing. Thanks for the info!

so if 3/10 is the last interview date, tmrw might be the last II date?

Godspeed to all, i hope they make our imminent deaths short and painless

Also for current students, I was reading up on the crime rate at Winston-Salem and was surprised to find that it has one of the highest rates of violent crime and also property crime in the US. What has been your experience ? Do you feel safe?

Also for current students, I was reading up on the crime rate at Winston-Salem and was surprised to find that it has one of the highest rates of violent crime and also property crime in the US. What has been your experience ? Do you feel safe?
Yes, there is crime. Now to put it all in perspective, I have lived in St. Louis, Baltimore, and DC and they all have crime too. Winston is a small city, but it is a city so you have to be aware of your surroundings and make smart decisions like not leaving valuables in your car in plain sight. I would routinely walk home from the medical school or a bar to my apartment before in the middle of the night and never had a problem. It's all about common sense.

I did my master's here, and I have seen some property crime, and to be honest we did get alerts about a shooting in a parking garage last year.
But overall I think there is mostly property crime, like most urban areas. I do have a funny (ironic) story... My apartment complex was near the innovation quarter, downtown. It has a gated parking lot and someone stole a car from the gated lot..of all the places.

I'll be attending Wake this summer and I'm so so excited! I loved the relaxed and warm vibe of the community. I'd love to know your favorite parts of Wake and what you wish you knew before starting - any and all tips and advice/things to look forward to would be greatly appreciated!
Got messaged this today and thought a reply might be helpful to more than this one student. Also, I'd open this up to @<3ClinicalResearch @GoofyGubernaculum and some of the other Wake students to reply with your answers (if you want).

I think you've hit the nail upon the head pretty solidly when you describe the community as warm and relaxed. Let's start with some tough love that I struggled with when choosing a medical school: frankly, Winston Salem doesn't have the outside appeal of living in a NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, or an Atlanta. I struggled with this for a while because I wanted to live in a prestigious and notable city (selfishly) and I had acceptances to some schools in these places. But something that Winston can boast about that isn't necessarily the case with many other places is how fundamental the medical community is to the surrounding community. Winston is big enough that you will always be meeting new people but also small enough that if there is something you want to do during your time in medical school, you will know someone who either does it or can connect you into that field. The perk of being one of five major trauma centers and academic hospitals in the state is that we see and do just about everything at Wake--particularly now with our partnership with Atrium Health in Charlotte, the few things that we didn't have at Wake are also now likely happening somewhere in the health system (more on that partnership later). Some examples of this community in action:
-One of my professors had me shadowing a doctor the day after she found out I had a potential interest in a certain specialty. This happened within my first month at school.
-I have the personal phone number for many physicians in the community and regularly receive text messages checking in from some of them
-This morning, at 5:30 AM, one of the students in the year above me texted of his own volition to ask if I was ready for my rotation and helped me figure out scrub access before I had to be in the hospital this morning
-The Dean of the Medical School (who also is the head of the whole Wake Forest Baptist Medical System and a distinguished surgeon) has office hours for medical students where she sits with you one-on-one to address any concerns you might have, answering any burning career or medical questions, or to just chat to get to know you. This is a monthly event that she has in her calendar open to all medical students.
-Lots more that I won't go into much detail about: big-little programs, M1-M3 mentorship, small clinical rotation groups your first two years of school, receptive faculty, Step coaches who have time to analyze your specific study habits
The last thing I will say on the subject of community is something I didn't know about Wake when I ended up choosing it for medical school. Because Wake is private, there are no physician contracts that force doctors into teaching during your first two years at medical school. What this means, practically, is that all of the doctors (which is a lot) during those first two years of the curriculum choose to teach and work with you because they enjoy educating medical students and because they care about your success--I realize it doesn't sound like a big deal but take the word of an internet stranger that it is huge when you look for mentorship and research and guidance from doctors as you start medical school. This isn't a fact that is true at all medical schools and the experiences between me and of some of my friends at other medical schools are notable because of it.

Something to consider: Wake did partner with Atrium health recently to open a Charlotte-based Wake Forest medical school branch--this will be opening a few years down the line but more importantly for you is that your "home" clinical rotation sites now have several more options including the busiest Emergency Department in the state (at CMC-Main) and some excellent subspecialties that are associated with Atrium Health in Charlotte. Expect some more details about this over the next few months but our class (2023) is about to start the first Wake Forest medical student rotations there ever as of this coming Monday! The teaching staff in Charlotte has been incredibly welcoming and impressive to us as a class.

Some things I wish I had known before starting medical school:
-Every one of your future classmates can be stunningly impressive. It is so easy to default into feeling like you were accepted by mistake or that you shouldn't be here. Imposter syndrome is very real for everyone--I promise everyone gets it, even if they never admit that they do. You do belong.
-You will feel stupid in medical school (wherever you go). You will also have days where you feel brilliant. Take it in strides, because the victories of medical school are amazing but the lows are far more consequential and will teach you a lot more about yourself.
-Medical school can be incredibly fun. I won't spoil the surprises but you have some cool things headed your way.
-The human body is truly amazing and the more you learn about humans, the more amazed you will become--definitely get excited for that!
-Wearing a white coat means patients are going to be oddly transparent with you about some very personal things. It took me off guard when it first happened but was also so unique to be deeply trusted by a patient simply because I had a badge and a white coat. It puts the onus on you to keep up that trust and to be wise with your words.
-Medical school is tough but probably not for the reasons you are expecting. Academically, it probably will be more difficult than you expect initially (I certainly had no idea how to even quantify it before starting medical school--still struggling to make a good analogy) but you will make the jump successfully, even if you don't think you are going to at first. What is just as difficult (if not more so) is the emotional toll of the rollercoaster that is medical school. Once it starts, it doesn't really stop and the stakes just increase every year. That being said, so do the rewards. This isn't to scare you (really, I promise, you've made it this far) but to give you a friendly reminder that medical school is just as much about the emotional and mental journey as it is the knowledge you gain.
-With that last point in mind, the importance of having a good community and support system is invaluable. Let me say that again because of everything I've said, this is your homework and the takeaway lesson. You will be getting a new community in medical school and Wake does a great job (see above essay on it) integrating you into a place where you can turn to just about anyone for help. But don't forget that there will be days you want to be anything but a medical student--so having a person or a group of people to turn to in these times is something I can't stress enough. You are a human first before being a medical student. Maintain that humanity. Find things you love to do outside of medicine. Share that passion and joy with other people. Medicine will take anything and everything you are willing to sacrifice to it, but ultimately family, friends, and other things in life are more important. Grounding yourself outside of medicine is the best thing you can do before starting medical school. This looks different for every person, but that is my suggestion for you over the next few months is to make that a very solid foundation because come summertime, you are hopping on the non-stop doctor train to May 2025.

It is an incredibly exciting time. I know that there is so much unknown attached onto the future as well which can be frightening. But Wake is a great place to call home for at least four years of medical school where people care about watching you grow.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
A yesterday afternoon!! Complete in mid July, info session 2/18. OOS, 5.93/518

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know if they're still sending IIs?

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted yesterday! Complete mid-July, interviewed 2/10.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
does anyone know if they're still sending IIs?
Probably not :(. This is all just speculation based on interview/info sessions dates available that showed up when other posters on this thread scheduled their interview, but the last date that popped up for them was 3/10. If this is true, then I'm super bummed out because Wake was one of my top choices.

• Care
  • Sad
“Final decision on portal” is an R, right? Loooooooool I’m too lazy to check, but just confirming

Reactions: 6 users
“Final decision on portal” is an R, right? Loooooooool I’m too lazy to check, but just confirming
Mirrors my experience. I resent that they make us check, though...

Joining the Pre II R wave. Complete all the way back on 07/15/20.

It took them 238 days to decline me, someone seems incompetent. Is it really that hard to say no? LOL.

Stings a little extra that they made us hold out hope through those other waves just to get that R

Pre-II R. OOS, complete in early Sept. Didn't even bother to check the portal lol

-This morning, at 5:30 AM, one of the students in the year above me texted of his own volition to ask if I was ready for my rotation and helped me figure out scrub access before I had to be in the hospital this morning
Speaking of rotations, I was searching past threads and came across the methodology for clinical grades during third year at Wake:

In order to get Honors, High Pass, etc in clinical years, you have to get honors on everything (shelf exam, OSCE, faculty feedback, etc. If you get honors in all but one part (ie: high pass from faculty feedback) you get the lower grade)

Idk how much information you have about this considering you just started, but I was wondering if you had an idea of what percentage of students typically get honors vs. high pass vs. pass. Additionally, do you think this method of clinical grades adds a extra level of difficulty in receiving good clinical grades. Cause if I am understanding it, someone can get honors in all but one component and then get a low pass in that last component giving them a low pass overall on that given rotation?

Also caught the R. Good luck folks and congrats to those who got in!

Also in that R. Haven’t officially checked the portal for my “final decision” but context clues are telling me it’s an R. Good luck to everyone still in the running.

$125 for them to ignore my app 8 months and then hit me with a Pre-II R. Le sigh.

Also in that R. Haven’t officially checked the portal for my “final decision” but context clues are telling me it’s an R. Good luck to everyone still in the running.
maybe it was a surprise pre-II A!

Speaking of rotations, I was searching past threads and came across the methodology for clinical grades during third year at Wake:

In order to get Honors, High Pass, etc in clinical years, you have to get honors on everything (shelf exam, OSCE, faculty feedback, etc. If you get honors in all but one part (ie: high pass from faculty feedback) you get the lower grade)

Idk how much information you have about this considering you just started, but I was wondering if you had an idea of what percentage of students typically get honors vs. high pass vs. pass. Additionally, do you think this method of clinical grades adds a extra level of difficulty in receiving good clinical grades. Cause if I am understanding it, someone can get honors in all but one component and then get a low pass in that last component giving them a low pass overall on that given rotation?
M3 transitioning to M4 here. Clinical grades are based on: shelf scores, faculty/resident scores, clerkship specific requirements (quizzes, didactic presentations, oral board style exams, etc.), and professionalism (did you show up to stuff). To put it in context between 1-3 people each year honor all rotations. I would say that the majority get a mix of high pass and few honors with maybe a pass if they had a bad testing day. The grading is fairly reasonable for example the grade you need to get honors is usually set at about 1 standard deviation above the national mean for the shelf and the faculty scoring is clerkship dependent based on last years data (ie they know how difficult the faculty usually rank so they pick a cut-off that is not absurd). The scales shift for clinical grades as they year goes on as well because theoretically you should know more about being on clinical rotations at the end versus the beginning of the year. Also, they do not cap how many can obtain Honors, so if everyone earns it everyone gets it which is nice.

The "lowest" score you can get is a pass because if you do not pass the rotation you will be given a chance to remediate (which you will) and pass is the best you can get.