2019-2020 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted off the waitlist! Ironically before I could send my letter of intent. Was waitlisted in December. I look forward to meeting some of you ^_^

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know what the average indebtedness is for graduates here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems early for waitlist movement. I assumed most of it happened after April 30th. Hopefully that means more people are getting off the waitlist this year!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! This was my reach school. Read the letter several times to make sure it was real. Waitlisted in December.

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats everyone who got in!
Wondering if those of you who were accepted off the waitlist today all received the email at the same time. If you don't mind sharing the time and zone you're from, that'll be super helpful in shedding some more light on how they send out acceptances. Thanks!

Congrats, everyone!

PS:
Students must successfully pass the urine drug screening test administered during matriculation. As marijuana is not legal in the State of North Carolina, the urine drug screening will test for the presence of this substance.

Also, newly admitted students, you need to have your immunizations, physical, etc., finished by June 1 even if we end up starting online it seems so if you haven't done those yet, I'd try your best to get started

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist today! Interviewed 10/21. Also, I didn’t send any letters of intent because I got accepted elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist yesterday at 12:41 pm EST! Interviewed 2/5. Submitted a Letter of Intent.

Aggh, still on the waitlist, even after my letter of intent... I hope they still have lots of waitlist movement coming up! I am going to send in some new updates!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrawing my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you well-qualified individuals! It was a hard decision, because Wake Forest was my top choice. However, I decided to go to another school which would open up more opportunities for my fiancé. That's life, sometimes.

Reactions: 15 users
Any updates on financial aid awards?
Originally scheduled to tell us April 15 but we were supposed to get a login today.. which we didn't haha

Edit: "On April 1st, you will receive an email that contains your user name, temporary password and instructions on how to access your financial aid award. Financial aid award letters will be available on April 15th. Scholarship and loan offers made by that date will be included. If scholarships are added after initial offers, our office will notify you through your personal email. Be sure to monitor your spam folder from April through June should our messages land there rather than your in-box."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed in October and submitted an LOI the day after being placed on the waitlist. Today, I logged on and saw that I had the option to "Upload a Letter of Interest" AS IF THE PRIOR HAD NEVER BEEN SUBMITTED. There was no sign that a previous Letter of Interest had been uploaded.... Does anyone else's portal look like this? I am unsure if I should reupload my previous Letter of Interest?
does it still show the file in the portal when you open it?

I interviewed in October and submitted an LOI the day after being placed on the waitlist. Today, I logged on and saw that I had the option to "Upload a Letter of Interest" AS IF THE PRIOR HAD NEVER BEEN SUBMITTED. There was no sign that a previous Letter of Interest had been uploaded.... Does anyone else's portal look like this? I am unsure if I should reupload my previous Letter of Interest?
I had the same problem here. I uploaded it again, now it shows up on my portal. Still concerning though.

MSAR states that the entering class of 2016 (c/o 2020) had 60 males and 69 females - I'm curious if 15 students take research years/extra time or if they had a higher level of attrition than normal?

@TheDataKing . Did you or anyone by chance happen to find out if the attrition rate was high or the reasoning for this discrepancy?

Aggh, still on the waitlist, even after my letter of intent... I hope they still have lots of waitlist movement coming up! I am going to send in some new updates!
Good luck peaches_doctor you derserve to ge that A for waiting so long. BTW, how is the food at the Pomona Mining Company?

• Love
I found this on MSAR:
Required relationship to school or state for non-resident or international applicants. Wake Forest School of Medicine accepts both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Applicant must be either a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident.

I just want to double check that as a non-resident with no ties, I should take Wake Forest completely off my list for application. Are all their OOS acceptances people with relationships to Wake?

I found this on MSAR:
Required relationship to school or state for non-resident or international applicants. Wake Forest School of Medicine accepts both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Applicant must be either a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident.

I just want to double check that as a non-resident with no ties, I should take Wake Forest completely off my list for application. Are all their OOS acceptances people with relationships to Wake?
they're a private med school, but if by non resident you mean of the country, then yes... if by of the state, then, no

they're a private med school, but if by non resident you mean of the country, then yes... if by of the state, then, no
That is the only thing mentioned on MSAR, exact same wording. That's what I'm wondering because I would love to apply but don't want to waste my time. Maybe someone got an interview with no ties and OOS?

That is the only thing mentioned on MSAR, exact same wording. That's what I'm wondering because I would love to apply but don't want to waste my time. Maybe someone got an interview with no ties and OOS?
if you're out of state and have no ties, wake is fair game. I don't understand what you're asking

Are you a US resident? They don’t accept international applications, but they do accept US apps with no ties to the state. I was accepted with no ties to the state as a CA applicant. Found this on MSAR.
5F3F0F92-5B88-40F0-A19E-34D7BDBE7651.jpeg

Edit: in fact, I believe the majority of their matriculants are OOS, and I didn’t get the impression that any of us had ties to the state at the second look.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you a US resident? They don’t accept international applications, but they do accept US apps with no ties to the state. I was accepted with no ties to the state as a CA applicant. Found this on MSAR.View attachment 301490
Dual citizens or green card holders that are Canadian applicants

Are you a US resident? They don’t accept international applications, but they do accept US apps with no ties to the state. I was accepted with no ties to the state as a CA applicant. Found this on MSAR.
Edit: in fact, I believe the majority of their matriculants are OOS, and I didn’t get the impression that any of us had ties to the state at the second look.
I am a US citizen/ resident and all that. Is it just me finding this wording confusing or am I dumb.

Attachments

• wake.JPG
    wake.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 87
I am a US citizen/ resident and all that. Is it just me finding this wording confusing or am I dumb.
You don't have to have ties to Wake Forest to apply there and get accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you confused by the “state residency eligibility for non-residency: no” line? Because that usually refers to in-state/out-of-state tuition policy—which doesn’t really matter since there is no difference.

Are you confused by the “state residency eligibility for non-residency: no” line? Because that usually refers to in-state/out-of-state tuition policy—which doesn’t really matter since there is no difference.
"Required relationship to school or state for non-resident or international applicants. Wake Forest School of Medicine accepts both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Applicant must be either a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident. "
In the middle of the screenshot, while they say they accept OOS and international, the phrasing makes me thing that OOS and international applicants need strong ties to the school/state. TheDataKing implied its only for international students or doesn't matter?

"Required relationship to school or state for non-resident or international applicants. Wake Forest School of Medicine accepts both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Applicant must be either a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident. "
In the middle of the screenshot, while they say they accept OOS and international, the phrasing makes me thing that OOS and international applicants need strong ties to the school/state. TheDataKing implied its only for international students or doesn't matter?
Ohhh I see, you are confused by the heading. That heading is in each school-specific page under the “Application Policies” sections. It’s not a bolded note saying “you have to have ties.” Rather it’s a heading to which, “Wake Forest School of Medicine accepts both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Applicant must be either a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident” is the response. In other words, they are saying, “no relationship to the school or state is required.” Look at any other school. That is a common section.

Ohhh I see, you are confused by the heading. That heading is in each school-specific page under the “Application Policies” sections. It’s not a bolded note saying “you have to have ties.” Rather it’s a heading to which, “Wake Forest School of Medicine accepts both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Applicant must be either a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident” is the response. In other words, they are saying, “no relationship to the school or state is required.” Look at any other school. That is a common section.
+1 on this - it's just a common header. Wake doesn't require strong ties to the school if you're OOS or Canadian. If you're Canadian, you have to be a dual resident or have a green card.

You do not need state ties, as it is a private school not funded by the state. Most people on my interview day had never even been to North Carolina. Schools with rules such as this (think MUSC, UConn, SUNY Schools) will clearly state that on their site. You’ll also see they don’t admit nearly as many OOS applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all, I appreciate your patience with me haha

Does anybody know if Wake does NBME or in-house exams?

Both. In-house exams every 3-4 weeks, NBME exam (referred to as CAS) at the end of each block.

For example, Neuro has three in-house exams throughout the block, then at the end of the block you take an NBME exam (unless there's a pandemic). That exam at the end is a small part of everyone's grade, but is also an opportunity to remediate any failed in-house exams.

Reactions: 5 users
Is there a specific form we are supposed to use for the medical evaluation?

Question for current students - are there any classes/activities during the summer between MS1 and MS2? My graduation travel trip for next month is on hold and am hoping to reschedule for next summer.

Question for current students - are there any classes/activities during the summer between MS1 and MS2? My graduation travel trip for next month is on hold and am hoping to reschedule for next summer.

There are no required classes or activities, you can absolutely choose to travel for the duration of the Summer.

Is there a specific form we are supposed to use for the medical evaluation?

No. If you go to a provider with an online portal, I know many students just uploaded a copy of the Visit Summary that met the listed requirements (within a certain time frame, has your name on it, (e-)signature of the provider, etc).

Also don't worry, they'll let you know if you need to resubmit something.

For anyone curious about finaid, I got impatient and emailed them and they said:

"The letter containing your log-in information and password will be sent on April 15th. You will also receive your financial aid award letter on that day. I apologize for the delay."

Reactions: 8 users
Also received info. All loans. RIP

• Sad