2022-2023 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @runner31 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Wake Forest Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. (200 words or less)

2. Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words or less)

3. From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? (200 words or less)

4. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine. (150 words or less)

5. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words or less)

6. If you have received a C+ grade or lower in any coursework, please explain. (200 words or less)

7. If there is anything specific that you would like for us to know regarding how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected you and your application you may do so here. (200 words or less.) (Please note that this is optional. Also, please do not repeat any information provided in your previous required responses.)

8. Please list your CASPer testing date for the 2023 admissions cycle.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@wysdoc

OOS Secondary Received.

2022-2023 Wake Forest Secondary Prompts:

1. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. (200 words or less)

2. Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words or less)

3. From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? (200 words or less)

4. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine. (200 words or less)

5. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words or less)

6. If you have received a C+ grade or lower in any coursework, please explain. (200 words or less)

7. If there is anything specific that you would like for us to know regarding how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected you and your application you may do so here. (200 words or less.) (Please note that this is optional. Also, please do not repeat any information provided in your previous required responses.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How do they send secondaries? Is there a portal you sign up for? Or are they emailed?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they send secondaries? Is there a portal you sign up for? Or are they emailed?
You'll be sent an email that prompts you to sign up for a Wake Forest secondary portal.

After looking at last year's thread, people received them all throughout the day and not all at once. So just keep an eye on your inbox. According to the email I received, they do utilize a screening process: to receive a secondary you need at least a 502 MCAT and 3.2 sGPA. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't believe it's already starting 🥴 Good luck everyone! Edit: Secondary invite received at 11:36 AM IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You'll be sent an email that prompts you to sign up for a Wake Forest secondary portal.

After looking at last year's thread, people received them all throughout the day and not all at once. So just keep an eye on your inbox. According to the email I received, they do utilize a screening process: to receive a secondary you need at least a 502 MCAT and 3.2 sGPA. Hope this helps.
Guess I’ll have to chalk this one up as my first R. 😮‍💨

Secondary Recieved at 8:37 AM EST OOS. Verified 5/31

Secondary received and submitted! IS, best of luck everyone!

First MD secondary received! OOS.

Submitted at 5:33 PM PST

Last edited:
OOS secondary received 11:19 am. Submitted 6/2, verified 6/22. Good luck everyone!

On the website, it states that applicants who are in a post-bacc and graduate education will have their secondaries reviewed by the Dean of Admissions upon receipt. I'm assuming this means a longer wait for us because the Dean has to see if we qualify for the secondary in the first place?

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

OOS Secondary Received.

2022-2023 Wake Forest Secondary Prompts:

4. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine. (200 words or less)

OOS secondary received. FWIW, question #4 has a limit of "150 words or less" for me. @wysdoc

Reactions: 4 users
Can’t believe their secondary fee is $130…

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
On the website, it states that applicants who are in a post-bacc and graduate education will have their secondaries reviewed by the Dean of Admissions upon receipt. I'm assuming this means a longer wait for us because the Dean has to see if we qualify for the secondary in the first place?
Interesting. I'm guessing the secondary screening is automatic, but then again I have no idea how any of this works. I'd guess that they review those secondaries after being submitted, not necessarily before.

Interesting. I'm guessing the secondary screening is automatic, but then again I have no idea how any of this works. I'd guess that they review those secondaries after being submitted, not necessarily before.

That's what I was thinking, too! But I don't think we receive them first, I believe it happens a little later?

I was below the cutoff and got a secondary.

can anyone else not see their application status or like if they received lor's/casper under the MD Application Checklist Status tab?

Exactly. Why turn down free money.

Did anyone submit and marked incomplete due to materials not being received? Other CASPER schools say they have received and same deal with LoRs

Did anyone submit and marked incomplete due to materials not being received? Other CASPER schools say they have received and same deal with LoRs
It'll take a few days. You'll eventually get an email that reads, "Your current application status is 'Waiting on Materials.' If you have submitted all of your materials, allow 5-10 business days for your application status to be updated to 'File Complete.' You will receive an email notification once all materials have been processed."

does wake forest require snapshot and duet?

Hey, any current students able to help elaborate on some questions I have regarding the school? I am currently applying and interested but wanting to get more information.
1. How is Wake Forests community outreach and what are some of the programs the medical school does specifically? I saw the DEAC for example but interested in others
2. How is the teaching method?
3. The Department of Implementation Science, I have read a bit about it but would like more information if possible.

Have any other OOS applicants who are above the screening cutoffs not received a secondary application yet? Primary submitted June 1, verified June 15

Submitted my secondary yesterday! Also took the CASPer yesterday. Kicking myself a little because I didn't even consider that some schools wouldn't start reviewing applications without a CASPer score. No idea how I did either. Has anyone gotten their quartile back and did it make sense for how you felt about it?

Submitted my secondary yesterday! Also took the CASPer yesterday. Kicking myself a little because I didn't even consider that some schools wouldn't start reviewing applications without a CASPer score. No idea how I did either. Has anyone gotten their quartile back and did it make sense for how you felt about it?
casper is a test of typing speed. so do not get down on yourself when you see your quartile. Plus schools see a much different layout of your performance than what is sent to you.

Does anyone know if there are opportunities for med students to get involved in the Center for Healthcare Innovation?

For the Most Meaningful prompt, do you think it'd be OK to write about an experience that isn't one of the one's I listed as most meaningful in the primary?

For the Most Meaningful prompt, do you think it'd be OK to write about an experience that isn't one of the one's I listed as most meaningful in the primary?
I want to - but won't b/c following direction n what not.

Did anyone else get an email from the office of student affairs/student inclusion and diversity? I am wondering if I did only because I am URM lol

Hey guys, I was wondering how you guys are checking your completion status? I clicked on the "view checklist" but it just shows me where I can upload documents, not if they received my LORs, secondary, etc.

Hey guys, I was wondering how you guys are checking your completion status? I clicked on the "view checklist" but it just shows me where I can upload documents, not if they received my LORs, secondary, etc.
I received an email

In addition to an email, you will also see something like "Application Complete" in small text at the top of that screen.

Does anyone know if they require Duet/Snapshot in addition to Casper? Thanks!

Hey can anyone tell me a little bit about the school's mission, focus, etc? Usually I can get this information from their website, but I can't find anything on theirs that isn't going to be a bit generic so I'm struggling with the "why us" question. Thanks!

It is sort of difficult to talk about their mission/vision and not sound generic, so I just talked about programs/research that I have experience with or am interested in