Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't believe that researched helped me at all in my application to RVU. I had 1000+ hours and 3 pubs but they didn't seem to care that much about it. You can do research if you want, but you're going to have to work to get it.
The school is very much about how you "fit" into the program.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe that researched helped me at all in my application to RVU. I had 1000+ hours and 3 pubs but they didn't seem to care that much about it. You can do research if you want, but you're going to have to work to get it.
The school is very much about how you "fit" into the program.
What aspects allow an applicant to "fit" into RVU? Nontrad, rural, military, ultrasound experience?

Seeing how many applicants are getting rejected is giving me an ulcer. I was complete on 8/3 but nothing has changed on my portal

Members don't see this ad :)
What aspects allow an applicant to "fit" into RVU? Nontrad, rural, military, ultrasound experience?
I wish I knew the answer to this question. Only the AdCom knows what they want in terms of fit.

Im now File Complete at both schools. Utah seems to be moving a little slower than Colorado. Here are my dates if anyone is interested.

Colorado
Secondary submitted: 8/1
File Complete: 8/8

Utah
Secondary submitted: 7/27
File Complete: 8/12

Reactions: 1 user
Im now File Complete at both schools. Utah seems to be moving a little slower than Colorado. Here are my dates if anyone is interested.

Colorado
Secondary submitted: 8/1
File Complete: 8/8

Utah
Secondary submitted: 7/27
File Complete: 8/12

Thanks. was wondering when UT would complete me. I submitted 8/2 and I'm still listed as an applicant.

Seeing how many applicants are getting rejected is giving me an ulcer. I was complete on 8/3 but nothing has changed on my portal
Tell me about it. I was complete 7/21 and there's already been a II given to FILEC's on that date. No news for me though!

Do any current students know if Rocky Vista drug tests and how often? I use cannabis for medical use.
I don't know when or if they do, but I do know that the Dean said that if you test positive you're gone. I'm sure there's an exception of you have a medical prescription though. I'd contact the school.

Do any current students know if Rocky Vista drug tests and how often? I use cannabis for medical use.
You get tested when you turn in your paperwork for matriculation, and you get tested again before rotations start for 3rd year. In between that, I haven't heard of anyone getting randomly tested. But that's never a guarantee. However, since you are prescribed it..not sure? I'd call and ask!

Tell me about it. I was complete 7/21 and there's already been a II given to FILEC's on that date. No news for me though!
I think I was complete around 8/3 and I have yet to hear anything. But with the way they've been handing out rejections, no news is good news.

Members don't see this ad :)

No news is good news for this particular case! I was complete around the same time I think, and was rejected 2 weeks ago. You still got a chance, fight on!

I actually like how RVUCOM is handling admissions. They're not handing out interviews like it's candy, and are waiting to interview those who they've offered interviews to before handing out more. This school reminds me most of how MD schools run admissions.

Edit: I don't have an II myself, but mean to say I respect the admissions committee for doing their job the way they are.

Reactions: 2 users
No news is good news for this particular case! I was complete around the same time I think, and was rejected 2 weeks ago. You still got a chance, fight on!
Sorry to here about that! I hope you have better luck at the other schools you applied to!

I've been an applicant "APPL" since 8/3. How long did it take you guys to get complete?

I've been an applicant "APPL" since 8/3. How long did it take you guys to get complete?
No news is still good news. It might take awhile for them to go through all the secondaries and applications, but at least you're not rejected yet! If you've been rejected the applicant tab will disappear.

No news is still good news. It might take awhile for them to go through all the secondaries and applications, but at least you're not rejected yet! If you've been rejected the applicant tab will disappear.
I see. Thanks.

It only took me a couple days. You should check the portal and see if theres anything holding up your app

It only took me a couple days. You should check the portal and see if theres anything holding up your app
Nothing. I submitted the secondary and and can view my application, check admissions/file status and withdraw my application but still not complete.

Rejected just now, FILEC 7/21. Good luck everyone!

Email. Also got a rejection email from UT admissions although I only applied CO.

Achievement unlocked: get denied from a school you didn't actually apply to.

LizzyM ~ 65. I'm banking on my scheduled interview with another school next week, wish me luck.

Reactions: 7 users
Is the "APPL" stage supposed to change once complete?
Akv0kaX.png

Yeah your letters will show up below and it'll change to FILEC!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hmm I wonder if it's because I sent in my letters through interfolio before I submitted my secondary and they just never got updated. Just re-sent them. Thanks.

Has anyone gotten an interview that is not a traditional Biology/Physiology/Chem major? Admissions office has repeatedly told me that if I only have the minimum requirement of bio, I won't look as favorable as someone who has upper-division classes. Hard to do with my major; seems odd to me because most other schools embrace diversity and people of different backgrounds...

Submitted RVU-CO and RVU-UT on 7/23 and still have not heard back. Status did change to FILEC though. Anyone who submit around then not hear back either?

Submitted RVU-CO and RVU-UT on 7/23 and still have not heard back. Status did change to FILEC though. Anyone who submit around then not hear back either?

Yup! Very similar submission date still waiting, however with this school I feel like not hearing back could be a good thing for now lol

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten an interview that is not a traditional Biology/Physiology/Chem major? Admissions office has repeatedly told me that if I only have the minimum requirement of bio, I won't look as favorable as someone who has upper-division classes. Hard to do with my major; seems odd to me because most other schools embrace diversity and people of different backgrounds...

I'm a second year at RVU with a finance degree and I only had the bare minimum requirements. I believe there are other like me. It's doable!

i sent in my letters about a week ago and still nothing updated- still appl. did i f up somehow?

Complete since...07/22/2016...still crickets.....:shrug:

Current student. I would strongly advise thinking twice before attending this school. I have been massively disappointed with my experience here and regret attending this institution. Bottom line: this place sells its self to be way better than it actually is. If you would like more information about my story PM me

Current student. I would strongly advise thinking twice before attending this school. I have been massively disappointed with my experience here and regret attending this institution. Bottom line: this place sells its self to be way better than it actually is. If you would like more information about my story PM me
Just made your account today, huh? :troll:

Just submitted my primary to Rocky, hope i'm not too late! :confused::eek:

Just made your account today, huh? :troll:

Not a troll. I spoke with him/her and they provided valid facts about the school that they PERSONALLY did not like. They also did not bash the school and mentioned a lot of positives especially about board scores and such.

Reactions: 5 users
Not a troll. I spoke with him/her and they provided valid facts about the school that they PERSONALLY did not like. They also did not bash the school and mentioned a lot of positives especially about board scores and such.

+1

A few of the things that were brought up were issues that I have seen from other posters as well. Great information to know going in.

Agreed. They gave some solid insight. I'd advise messaging and hearing what they have to say.

As fun as super-secret criticisms are, would someone care to paraphrase or copy/paste?

As fun as super-secret criticisms are, would someone care to paraphrase or copy/paste?
Agreed. I messaged but never got a reply so I would like to know too.

Basically just make sure the school is a good fit for you. A school could be considered great based on board scores and such but that doesn't make it a good school for you. Make sure you thrive in the type of teaching environment that the school you choose offers ( ie teach yourself vs need closer attention from professors, the level of competition amongst students, etc.)

@GBCrzzyy @durangotang I'll try to give the TL;DR version. Basically more concerned about board scores than putting students first, pulled recorded lectures without asking student input, major competition between classmates. There was a bit more that I'm sure I'm missing.

They administration recently decided to stop recording lectures for students. May be a red flag to some, seeing as this school prides itself in supporting its students as much as possible.

They administration recently decided to stop recording lectures for students. May be a red flag to some, seeing as this school prides itself in supporting its students as much as possible.

Thats concerning. Did they say why?