Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looking now myself, but anyone know historically what the turn around is for first batch of interview invites here?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Looking now myself, but anyone know historically what the turn around is for first batch of interview invites here?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I was in the first batch of interviews last year. The interview was in the beginning of September and got my invite the around the end of Aug (28th). Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I was in the first batch of interviews last year. The interview was in the beginning of September and got my invite the around the end of Aug (28th). Hope that helps!
Yes it does. Thanks bud.

Members don't see this ad :)
Help with interpreting this question:

"Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's Colorado Campus?"

I want to answer what it exactly asks, but I have this itching feeling I'm also supposed to say something about "why RVU" in general. What do you guys think?

I ended up talking about just generally "why RVUCOM" curriculum-wise then went into why I like Denver and how I thought the environment and curriculum combined will make me both a successful and also happy medical student. I was kinda stuck on this as well for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know this is probably not known but does anyone have info on what would be a "recommended" or average word limit? I cringe at the idea of my type-A personality trying to figure this one out.

Also what is the recommendation for the resume? Most of the stuff that I have on my resume is already in my primary application...are they looking for anything else in a resume?

Thank you!!!

I accidentally uploaded the wrong resume and now I can't change it to the one I want, whoops.

Anyways super excited about this school, #1 choice by far. CO resident, grew up literally ~ 5 minutes away from RVU, 3.3 s/cGPA, 506 MCAT, tons of clinical experience. Pretty good other ECs. Here's to hoping they will look past my low GPA...

I know this is probably not known but does anyone have info on what would be a "recommended" or average word limit? I cringe at the idea of my type-A personality trying to figure this one out.

Also what is the recommendation for the resume? Most of the stuff that I have on my resume is already in my primary application...are they looking for anything else in a resume?

Thank you!!!

Maybe you could try typing something up, and then reading it out loud. See if it feels like you ramble too much while making your point, or if you don't have enough material written down to be convincing. Bonus points if you read to someone else who can give you feedback. But the right length is going to be more or less unique to you, they're not playing a game of "Let's not put a word limit down and see if applicants can guess the correct word limit!"

Use the same resume you'd send to anywhere, regardless of what's in your primary

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted the secondary! Hoping for some OOS love. One of my top choices

I received the secondary too!

Do you guys think I will get any love here? I have 3.55cGPA, 3.3sGPA and 504 MCAT. I am in state and I would love to go to this school!

Tossing my pokeball in the ring. 30+ MCAT, strong ECs, but ~3.3sGPA. Good luck to all!

Thank you!!!

Hello. I'm a 2nd year student at RVU. My answers were ~600 words (4000 characters with spaces) or shorter. I also sent in my resume simply because it provided a more concise way of looking at my application. You can get a printout of your Primary that RVU received via AACOMAS's website. You can see how the information is grouped - and then you'll understand how a resume might be easier to read if you make it properly. However, there are plenty of accepted students who did not send a resume, so don't consider it a requirement. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in and am starting this new MSBS program in Aug! Super excited about this opportunity and think it will be a Great transition if you have been out of school for a couple years like I have! Rocky Vista is a phenomenal school and their admissions department staff could not be more supportive! Seriously, the nicest, most helpful people I've worked with by far; and I worked with numerous programs across the country. Its the best feeling in the world knowing I'm going to a university where in addition to receiving an excellent education, the staff is exceptionally supportive and truly desire for their students to succeed!

What you said in your comment is actually a strong point I used in my application/interview as to why I wanted to attend RVU specifically out of all other schools. The help and support I received from the staff, as well as the feedback from the students is what convinced me to choose RVU. Amazingly close-knit and no cut-throat competition. For everyone else reading this - I probably don't have to say this but ...never insult other schools during the application process. For all you know, the interviewer or person reading your application actually worked at the school you're talking about.

Good luck in the new MSBS program - I'm looking forward to meeting all the new students!

does anyone know if the income selection means the past total three years or each year? not a make it or break it question for sure, but the wording is really confusing me and I just.. want to.. know.. :eyebrow:

does anyone know if the income selection means the past total three years or each year? not a make it or break it question for sure, but the wording is really confusing me and I just.. want to.. know.. :eyebrow:

I just imagine someone came up to me on the street and asked it. I'd take it to mean "each year, average." So I think that's how I answered!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey did you guys write anything for the last question "Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician."

Like what exactly does it mean lol

Hey did you guys write anything for the last question "Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician."

Like what exactly does it mean lol

I just took it to mean "do you have any other qualities you want to highlight here which didn't fit into the other essay questions or your primary application?" I think these "anything else?" questions are generally up to personal interpretation and whether you feel like you want to address anything else that may be concerning regarding your application/life story.

In the secondary, they capitalize Osteopathic Physician...

Should we capitalize those two words each time we use it in our secondary?

Does anyone know the hospitals in the surrounding area where rotations are? I wanted to talk about the opportunities in my "Why RVU" question. I was also wondering if anyone found any extensive information about the Utah campus. It doesn't look like they have much info on their site.

Anybody have any idea how long it takes to hear back about if you get a II? I just got marked "file complete" today on the portal.

What are the word or character limits on the secondary essay questions? I can't seem to find it in my notes

Anybody have any idea how long it takes to hear back about if you get a II? I just got marked "file complete" today on the portal.
It's quite variable. Could span a day (if late in the cycle) to months.
In my case I think it was a month.

My GPA likely did me in. I was hoping the fact that RVU-SUCOM was new this year would help me out. 3.0cGPA/3.13sGPA (significant upward trend)/514

I did not apply to RVU in Colorado.

I received the secondary too!

Do you guys think I will get any love here? I have 3.55cGPA, 3.3sGPA and 504 MCAT. I am in state and I would love to go to this school!
I think you will

Question on one of the prompts:

Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?

Any advice on how much to expound on my answer of "yes?" What else are they hoping to gauge from this question?

Question on one of the prompts:

Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?

Any advice on how much to expound on my answer of "yes?" What else are they hoping to gauge from this question?

I assumed it was rigor of schedule. I just included a very brief description of the hours I worked and how long. Texas A&M asked, in their description for things they take into account, is if you had to work full-time during undergraduate.

Looks like (from checking portal) I became complete 7/18 (all letters and AACOMAS app).

Looks like (from checking portal) I became complete 7/18 (all letters and AACOMAS app).

My apologies if you stated earlier in the thread or not. But did you use AACOMAS to deliver your letters?

My apologies if you stated earlier in the thread or not. But did you use AACOMAS to deliver your letters?

No worries, and I have not stated already.

But yeah, all of my letters were through AACOMAS (sent to them from Interfolio).

Dates for RVU: AACOMAS App - 7/5; Supplemental - 7/6; All of my LORs are listed as "complete" as of 7/18.

Reactions: 1 users
No worries, and I have not stated already.

But yeah, all of my letters were through AACOMAS (sent to them from Interfolio).

Dates for RVU: AACOMAS App - 7/5; Supplemental - 7/6; All of my LORs are listed as "complete" as of 7/18.

Awesome, thank you!!

RVU-CO secondary submitted 7/23. RVU-UT submitted 7/24.

Last edited:
Submitted Utah secondary today, no word from CO yet

Anyone know where I can find RVU's match list? I couldn't find it on their website..

Interview waitlist from CO via the portal. No email or anything but looks like some decisions are up!