2022-2023 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone compare RVUCOM-Colorado Vs Utah? Do we need to select only one location?

One is in the Denver suburbs, so urban and mountains, the other is outside of St. George, so more rural and desert. Both schools have the same curriculum, same schedule, take the classes with the same professors and take the same exam. The clubs and on campus events will obviously be different. Colorado is more established and has had many years of great board scores and matches. Utah has only graduated 2 classes and the first one didn't go so well. Colorado rotations seem to be descent and 75% are in Denver/CO Springs. Utah rotations seem to be more spread out. They also seem to rotate at smaller hospitals and less with residents.

Not sure if its changed but I think you can select a preference and then can also select to be considered for the other campus. I think you can also select no preference, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Email received today acknowledging receipt of primary app. No secondary yet.

Reactions: 6 users
They sent email to me saying I don't need 3.0 minimum cummulative. I have a 2.96. Worth emailing them and fighting to receive my secondary?
Unfortunately not, as the secondary is autogenerated based on the 3.0 science and overall GPA as well as an official MCAT score taken within the 3 year timeframe. If you are able to hit the 3.0, you will be able to move forward in the process. Also, you may want to look at their MSBS program (applications are being accepted for the class starting this summer). The program has a high acceptance rate into the COM and other medical schools as well for those that do well in the program. I know that the MSBS graduates that go into the COM are very well prepared and do very well in the program.

Reached out personally. They said nope. low-key pissed me off. 2.96. It's like I climbed a mountain and missed the last rock and tumbled all the way down. Close but no cigar haha
thats so dumb. if they treat you with that little respect now, is it even worth going to this school?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
thats so dumb. if they treat you with that little respect now, is it even worth going to this school?
At least they are being honest. Better to know now than to let you submit an application when you never really had a chance.

Reached out personally. They said nope. low-key pissed me off. 2.96. It's like I climbed a mountain and missed the last rock and tumbled all the way down. Close but no cigar haha
I feel ya, I reached out too. I have a 2.99 science and it's taken me YEARS to get it up to that point. Trying not to feel discouraged by it. Other schools will see our upward trend!

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT score is still not received by AACOMAS :( can someone post the secondary questions please?

I feel ya, I reached out too. I have a 2.99 science and it's taken me YEARS to get it up to that point. Trying not to feel discouraged by it. Other schools will see our upward trend!
Do you think it's worth the hassle for us to take 1-2 classes in late summer to barely surpass 3.0, then send an update letter to schools? I feel like schools would receive the update in like aug./sept. which is not good considered rolling admissions.

Do you think it's worth the hassle for us to take 1-2 classes in late summer to barely surpass 3.0, then send an update letter to schools? I feel like schools would receive the update in like aug./sept. which is not good considered rolling admissions.
I think that's a good idea! Isn't Aug/Sept still early for DO in general? Might be worth a shot

Also generally speaking, if I receive a secondary from a school, should I assume I cleared their stats screening, or not necessarily?
Not necessarily because some schools just send secondaries to everyone

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else being retrodicted to a scam site called buymskey when trying to access Rocky Vista's website?

Has anyone received a secondary yet? Looking through past threads it seems like they send them around this time.

Is anyone else being retrodicted to a scam site called buymskey when trying to access Rocky Vista's website?
Getting this as well… it only happens when I try to access the site via google. If you type rvu.edu into your browser then it goes to the correct site, but still shows that windows logo/scam site in the top of my browser. Haven’t received a secondary yet, but I’m definitely going to try and make sure the site is secure before I make any payments

Respectfully, this is not a competitive GPA at all, even for DO schools. Many DO matriculants are averaging in the mid 3.x, depending on the program. Every year it gets more competitive and comparable to MD. Also need a strong MCAT, scores <500 or even in the low 500s are just simply not competitive either. Obviously, all programs will have an anecdotal story about someone getting in with low stats but this is the exception, not the rule. I am not sure who was advising you through this process, but I would not waste money applying this cycle.

I know this is really hard to hear, but if you want to pursue medicine you need to be realistic. I do not believe the program was rude in enforcing their minimum. You should absolutely consider doing a masters or post-bacc in order to demonstrate strength in academics. The road to get there might take longer than you'd hoped, but it's not impossible. Just develop a realistic plan and keep working hard!

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to this school in 2020 cuz MCAT was waived when Covid had just begun. I applied late so was on the waitlist hence couldn’t get in but post II acceptance rate is 85%. If you get an II here, you’re chillin. They say this in the email too. One of my friends goes here, he likes it a lot….goes to the UTAH campus tho.

I have not received anything from them besides my MCAT score which was submitted after my primary after like 2 days. I emailed them yesterday and they said they will communicate with me in the "coming weeks" whatever that means.

IS, verified mid-July and just got their secondary!
There is only one prompt and no text limit:

"What unique characteristics, abilities, or skills will you bring to help advance the mission and vision of RVUCOM?"

ETA: @PapaGuava

Last edited:
Is there some sort of error here? Is this really the prompt? Last year they had 5 prompts and this is a recycled prompt from last year?

Is there some sort of error here? Is this really the prompt? Last year they had 5 prompts and this is a recycled prompt from last year?
Idk but it's already been submitted so I'm not going back to do 4 more essays ❤️

In the email they explicitly say that it's a brief supplemental application.

I applied to this school in 2020 cuz MCAT was waived when Covid had just begun. I applied late so was on the waitlist hence couldn’t get in but post II acceptance rate is 85%. If you get an II here, you’re chillin. They say this in the email too. One of my friends goes here, he likes it a lot….goes to the UTAH campus tho.
Do you mind if I asked how late did you apply in 2020?

Check Spam and promotion folders of email! Secondary received 7/22 but just found it today.

can someone post the questions? finishing up all of mine and would love to be fully completed and submit when I receive

can someone post the questions? finishing up all of mine and would love to be fully completed and submit when I receive
@PapaGuava just one question!

1. What unique characteristics, abilities or skills will you bring to help advance the mission and vision of RVUCOM?