Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying!

Essay Questions

(Please note there is no word limit)

If not currently in school, what have you been doing since you were a full-time student?

Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?

Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?

Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's Colorado Campus?

What unique characteristics, abilities, or skills will you bring to RVUCOM and the Osteopathic Profession?

Have you ever been convicted with a criminal offense? Failure to disclose could result in the revocation of your acceptance to RVU. Further, any incidences occurring after acceptance and prior to matriculation must also be brought immediately to the attention of the Executive Director of Admissions and Marketing. Any incident occurring while you are a student at RVU must be reported immediately to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. An additional background check will be run prior to starting clinical rotations at the end of your second year. Any blemish on the background check may result in dismissal from RVU, failure to be accepted for clinical rotations, not being considered for a residency program, or failure to receive a license to practice medicine. RVU reserves the right to request additional information as needed regarding anything appearing on the background check and is not responsible for consequences occurring as a result of any information contained on any background check.

If yes, explain completely.

Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

Early Decision Option

RVUCOM offers an Early Decision Option. Candidates applying for Early Decision consideration must agree to only apply to RVUCOM. If accepted, the candidate must accept the offer to attend RVUCOM and submit a deposit of $2000 upon notification of acceptance. Those candidates not accepted for Early Decision will be considered as part of the regular admissions process and are free to apply to other medical schools. All acceptances are provisional and contingent on the successful completion of meeting the requirements set forth in the matriculation agreement prior to orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

How is this school with in-state vs OOS? I am a Colorado resident and am putting RVU as my top choice right now (I'm not applying until next year though)

How is this school with in-state vs OOS? I am a Colorado resident and am putting RVU as my top choice right now (I'm not applying until next year though)

Approximately a third of the accepted students are from Colorado.

Members don't see this ad :)
Approximately a third of the accepted students are from Colorado.
Thank you! I visited the school last year and was highly impressed. Felt like a "family" more than a body of students.

Reactions: 1 user
I am having trouble pre-writing last year's essay on the "why RVU". I am not from the area and can only obtain information from their website and others who post here. I hate sounding generic and only referencing the curriculum, student body as a whole, match list, and area. Anyone have any ideas for overcoming bland essay responses like these?

Is it worth applying here if I am out of state? I have a 3.86 GPA and 507 MCAT.

I got a call today from RVU asking if I had any questions or concerns regarding the start of the school year. I love this place already!

Does anyone know anything about their Southern Utah campus? It's hard to find info on their website.

Does anyone know anything about their Southern Utah campus? It's hard to find info on their website.

February's Vista View (RVU's internal newsletter/magazine) discusses some of the details of the new campus, linked here beginning on page 6.

Anybody else apply here without an MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
ya, i learned mine was expired. retaking in august. how does this affect our app? can we still get secondaries?
I just got a message saying I didn't meet minimum requirements. I called and they said it's just because I haven't submitted my MCAT and once I submit my score they will rereview.

I just got a message saying I didn't meet minimum requirements. I called and they said it's just because I haven't submitted my MCAT and once I submit my score they will rereview.

ya, i learned mine was expired. retaking in august. how does this affect our app? can we still get secondaries?

It doesn't seem like this will affect us negatively. Especially with @pr3m3d3r 's call to them and the email they sent saying they would reconsider your app if you update. I think we're okay. I e-mailed just to make 100% sure.

But yes, if someone could post the prompts that would be greatly appreciated :D I'm bored and need something to kill time while I await my MCAT score... (14 days & counting *sigh*)

But yes, if someone could post the prompts that would be greatly appreciated :D I'm bored and need something to kill time while I await my MCAT score... (14 days & counting *sigh*)

I'm fairly certain it's the same ones as last year!

It doesn't seem like this will affect us negatively. Especially with @pr3m3d3r 's call to them and the email they sent saying they would reconsider your app if you update. I think we're okay. I e-mailed just to make 100% sure.
Awesome! Please let me know what they say to you when they email you back!

Awesome! Please let me know what they say to you when they email you back!

They just e-mailed me back, it is as we suspected. All you have to do is make sure you submit your MCAT score to AACOMAS. They sent me instructions on how to do that, and they said that it wouldn't affect us negatively in any way for having our applications initially being closed for "not meeting the minimum requirements." All we have to do is update AACOMAS and we're golden. No worries.

Essay Questions (No Word Limit)
  1. If not currently, in school, what have you been doing since you were a full-time student?
  2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?
  3. Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?
  4. Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's Colorado Campus?
  5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skills will you bring to RVUCOM and the Osteopathic Profession?
  6. Have you ever been convicted with a criminal offense? [Failure to disclose could result in terrible consequences. Failure to update upon incidence could result in terrible consequences. An additional background check will be run and any lies will result in terrible consequences. Did we mention the terrible consequences?]
    • If yes, explain completely.
  7. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.
  8. Do you want to participate in the Early Decision Option? Select "yes" to participate, or "no" to decline participation.
Also, there's an option to attach your resume before the essay section which I would recommend.

Good luck on receiving your MCAT score! I'm sure you did superb!

Reactions: 1 users
They just e-mailed me back, it is as we suspected. All you have to do is make sure you submit your MCAT score to AACOMAS. They sent me instructions on how to do that, and they said that it wouldn't affect us negatively in any way for having our applications initially being closed for "not meeting the minimum requirements." All we have to do is update AACOMAS and we're golden. No worries.
Glad to hear and thanks again for double checking! I'm taking it Friday so hopefully this process can hurry along.

Just to help you out, I did the exact same thing last year! I felt like such an idiot but I ended up getting accepted! Good luck!

New news everyone, RVU has just gained and opened applications to their brand-new Masters of Biomedical Sciences program.
If interested, you can read more about it at these two links:
Article: http://www.rvu.edu/news/rocky-vista-university-offer-master-science-biomedical-sciences-program/
Program Details: http://www.rvu.edu/academics/msbs/
I got in and am starting this new MSBS program in Aug! Super excited about this opportunity and think it will be a Great transition if you have been out of school for a couple years like I have! Rocky Vista is a phenomenal school and their admissions department staff could not be more supportive! Seriously, the nicest, most helpful people I've worked with by far; and I worked with numerous programs across the country. Its the best feeling in the world knowing I'm going to a university where in addition to receiving an excellent education, the staff is exceptionally supportive and truly desire for their students to succeed!

Last edited:
When they ask about a criminal offense, what are they asking for exactly? If I have speeding tickets and an open container from 2 years ago, do those count?

Anything that would show up on your criminal record, essentially. This includes misdemeanors and felonies. These checks are geared to filter out those with a history of felonies, as well as those exhibiting behaviors of negligence and danger.

Depending on the city, state, and/or specifics of your tickets, they may be misdemeanors or they may be non-criminal infractions. The latter you would not have to report, but the former will show up on your record and should be disclosed. PM me if you're unsure about the classification of your infractions. Assuming you got speeding tickets and not reckless driving/endangerment charges, don't sweat it. Many matriculants have plenty of vehicular moving and non-moving violations - everyone's human.

In general, it's better to adopt an open reporting policy now than to have it uncovered during the course of the background check. Every allopathic and osteopathic school, will conduct this check so it's better to be honest now and explain yourself during an interview than to get red-flagged down the line.

Anything that would show up on your criminal record, essentially. This includes misdemeanors and felonies. These checks are geared to filter out those with a history of felonies, as well as those exhibiting behaviors of negligence and danger.

Depending on the city, state, and/or specifics of your tickets, they may be misdemeanors or they may be non-criminal infractions. The latter you would not have to report, but the former will show up on your record and should be disclosed. PM me if you're unsure about the classification of your infractions. Assuming you got speeding tickets and not reckless driving/endangerment charges, don't sweat it. Many matriculants have plenty of vehicular moving and non-moving violations - everyone's human.

In general, it's better to adopt an open reporting policy now than to have it uncovered during the course of the background check. Every allopathic and osteopathic school, will conduct this check so it's better to be honest now and explain yourself during an interview than to get red-flagged down the line.

Ok, thanks for the info.

EDIT: It looks like I have a minor infraction but I'll be report it anyways. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Help with interpreting this question:

"Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's Colorado Campus?"

I want to answer what it exactly asks, but I have this itching feeling I'm also supposed to say something about "why RVU" in general. What do you guys think?

Help with interpreting this question:

"Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's Colorado Campus?"

I want to answer what it exactly asks, but I have this itching feeling I'm also supposed to say something about "why RVU" in general. What do you guys think?
Hmm I guess this has changed since the branch campus opened up. I'd say to mainly gear your answer to the general question of "why RVU" with a minor emphasis on which campus.

Is the Colorado campus secondary the same as the Utah one?

No word limits, eh? That's a positive.

Is the Colorado campus secondary the same as the Utah one?

No word limits, eh? That's a positive.
Not sure if it's the same secondary, but it's a good bet. The lack of word limit made me quite happy, though I think I had only 200 words per essay.

Not sure if it's the same secondary, but it's a good bet. The lack of word limit made me quite happy, though I think I had only 200 words per essay.

With the slew of secondaries coming in, I'm taking the 'less is more' approach and keeping my answers and responses as simple, concrete, and direct as possible.

As for question #4 (why RVU-CO); would it be in my favor to mention I have an aunt and uncle who live in boulder and I have always loved the state each time I visit (obviously not in those words..) Basically, let them know that I'm not merely an OOS applicant but have ties to the state?

With the slew of secondaries coming in, I'm taking the 'less is more' approach and keeping my answers and responses as simple, concrete, and direct as possible.

As for question #4 (why RVU-CO); would it be in my favor to mention I have an aunt and uncle who live in boulder and I have always loved the state each time I visit (obviously not in those words..) Basically, let them know that I'm not merely an OOS applicant but have ties to the state?
Mention it, but have the focus be on the school itself.

The questions for Utah and Colorado are the same. Is it okay for me to just use the same essays for both applications (obviously changing the name of the school)? Or will the same people be reading them?

The questions for Utah and Colorado are the same. Is it okay for me to just use the same essays for both applications (obviously changing the name of the school)? Or will the same people be reading them?

Highly likely different people will be reading it.

Some quick tips I wish someone told me while completing RVU's secondary last year:
- "Fit" is really big at this school. Make sure you read up on the school in the news and bulletins and see if you're a good fit and complete your secondary to reflect that.
- Send a resume! I didn't and my interviewer asked if I had one on hand. It makes their job easier.
- The application works best on Internet Explorer (for my computer anyway). I had a little bit of trouble completing the application on Chrome.
- A big chunk of the faculty is MDs. Keep that in mind when completing the "Why do you want to become an osteopathic physician" question.

Good luck to you all!

Some quick tips I wish someone told me while completing RVU's secondary last year:
- "Fit" is really big at this school. Make sure you read up on the school in the news and bulletins and see if you're a good fit and complete your secondary to reflect that.
- Send a resume! I didn't and my interviewer asked if I had one on hand. It makes their job easier.
- The application works best on Internet Explorer (for my computer anyway). I had a little bit of trouble completing the application on Chrome.
- A big chunk of the faculty is MDs. Keep that in mind when completing the "Why do you want to become an osteopathic physician" question.

Good luck to you all!
This exactly. Many applicants get caught up in the bs of "DOs are more friendly". Good luck telling that to the two MDs that are interviewing you.

This exactly. Many applicants get caught up in the bs of "DOs are more friendly". Good luck telling that to the two MDs that are interviewing you.
I was editing my good friend's essays this week and he talked about "DOs are more holistic than MDs" and "MDs over-prescribe" and all I can think about was how would an MD interviewer feel when reading that.
The safest way to answer that question, in my opinion, is to talk about a shadowing experience, talk about a personal experience, or just read up on DOs and see what you are attracted to (like the profession's commitment to primary care, commitment to underserved rural regions, significant military involvement, etc.).