Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My deposit only took a day or two to post. Am I the only one worried about these dang titers?

I still dont have a primary care doc lol, never got a new one after i turned 18. Haha so yeah im worried about it as well, im gonna get on it this week if i can

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I still dont have a primary care doc lol, never got a new one after i turned 18. Haha so yeah im worried about it as well, im gonna get on it this week if i can

Same! I was thinking I would write my own order and next time I am on shift at the clinic. Not to mention the costs of these tests as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone comment on the cost of living in Parker, utility bills, groceries, that sort of thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the cost of living in Parker, utility bills, groceries, that sort of thing?
Expensive af. Apt by yourself could run $900+. Even w/ roommates, its fairly steep - The cheapest option is likely to rent one of the huge 5 bedroom houses (as low as 2000 per month) and split that 5 or 6 ways. I will be trying to find some guys to go in with me on this, come next summer. Groceries aren't unreasonable. King Soopers have good prices on things. Also, alcohol in CO is taxed heavily.... :( I recommend checking craigslist and searching 'Parker' to get a handle of things.

Expensive af. Apt by yourself could run $900+. Even w/ roommates, its fairly steep - The cheapest option is likely to rent one of the huge 5 bedroom houses (as low as 2000 per month) and split that 5 or 6 ways. I will be trying to find some guys to go in with me on this, come next summer. Groceries aren't unreasonable. King Soopers have good prices on things. Also, alcohol in CO is taxed heavily.... :( I recommend checking craigslist and searching 'Parker' to get a handle of things.
Do you have a link for the 5 bedroom apartments? Are they close to the campus and 24 hour fitness? That would be cost effective.

Do you have a link for the 5 bedroom apartments? Are they close to the campus and 24 hour fitness? That would be cost effective.
once the 2021 class FB group starts, it'll be easy to find roommates. Sometimes the 2nd years will join your FB group to also post about roommate opportunities. But there are plenty of apartments by school that's 5-10 minutes drive.

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II to the UT campus but will be declining as I got accepted to KCU. Good luck everyone!

Not apartments, but houses. There are a ton of "McMansions" in Parker. Individuals bought up these houses for investment property several years back (prior to the real estate boom in Denver metro) and now rent them out. Not really a company or anything - really just trying to snag one as they come up on the classifieds/craigslist and possibly from a rental management company. Possibly close to campus and gym, but then again, Parker is pretty easy to get around.

I got a call from the dean of the UT campus yesterday wishing me a Merry Christmas. He told me how excited he was for our class. What a good guy! This school is going to be awesome!

Sorry if this a repeat comment, but I searched here and their website and couldn't find anything. Can you all comment on RVU-CO's rotation sites? Do they have set-up rotation options or is it completely up to you to organize?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alt Listed. You can see the status update on your portal.

Sorry if this a repeat comment, but I searched here and their website and couldn't find anything. Can you all comment on RVU-CO's rotation sites? Do they have set-up rotation options or is it completely up to you to organize?

Hey! So I saw on a previous comment that the places you can rotate are in Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo! And I believe if you want to go elsewhere you set that up on your own.

Has anyone gotten the official word as to how much tuition will be? I have heard 48,000 but I thought it was more around 52,000.

Hey ya'll. Congrats on all the acceptances!
Just wanted to let you all know that I was on campus yesterday and the school was interviewing some terrific people for the Utah campus faculty. The school is really trying their best to recruit some awesome people and mimic the CO campus as closely as possible.
For example, while the Denver campus "shares" our Ultrasound/Radiology faculty with CU's Medical School and this is a situation that obviously couldn't be replicated at the St. George campus (because the nearest other med school is a few hours away), they are hiring a full time radiology professor. I thought that was pretty cool. Also had the chance to meet with the new Dean and he is awesome. He is literally bending over backwards to make sure the Utah campus is a success.
Have a happy holiday season! Feel free to message or tag me in any questions you may have!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew from my Jan 6th interview today. Good luck to everyone!

Hey ya'll. Congrats on all the acceptances!
Just wanted to let you all know that I was on campus yesterday and the school was interviewing some terrific people for the Utah campus faculty. The school is really trying their best to recruit some awesome people and mimic the CO campus as closely as possible.
For example, while the Denver campus "shares" our Ultrasound/Radiology faculty with CU's Medical School and this is a situation that obviously couldn't be replicated at the St. George campus (because the nearest other med school is a few hours away), they are hiring a full time radiology professor. I thought that was pretty cool. Also had the chance to meet with the new Dean and he is awesome. He is literally bending over backwards to make sure the Utah campus is a success.
Have a happy holiday season! Feel free to message or tag me in any questions you may have!

Do you know if construction is still on time?

What was your impression of the school on interview day? For me, although the faculty all seemed super nice, the students were fairly quiet and few were on campus (maybe they'd just had a big exam or something?). I really wasn't impressed, but wanted to like it since I have family in the area. Currently weighing RVU vs. DMU. Any insight would be appreciated.

What was your impression of the school on interview day? For me, although the faculty all seemed super nice, the students were fairly quiet and few were on campus (maybe they'd just had a big exam or something?). I really wasn't impressed, but wanted to like it since I have family in the area. Currently weighing RVU vs. DMU. Any insight would be appreciated.

Unless you also really weren't impressed by DMU that makes your decision obvious. If you go somewhere you have to override your gut feeling for because you want to like it, you'll regret it in spades. Hopefully the fact that the students were few in number and quiet aren't all that made that opinion form, but everyone's got their own preferences....

So on which day are exams given? I will be attending next year, but will likely have to miss one day. Just curious if I will totally be boning myself one way or another.

I think a student needs to comment because I don't have a clue. What's the chances that the exam is on the same day you have to miss though?

Also how long does it take the background check to clear?

I think a student needs to comment because I don't have a clue. What's the chances that the exam is on the same day you have to miss though?

Also how long does it take the background check to clear?

I submitted mine around a month ago, still nada!

I'm sorry that you had an average interview day. If you interviewed in December, the campus was probably a little emptier than usual because anatomy, PCM, and Osteopathic labs were finished and students were mostly working on completing the science courses, which can be done at home. Personally, I only stepped foot on campus maybe 4 times the last 2 weeks of December. Everyone was studying for final exams. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

So on which day are exams given? I will be attending next year, but will likely have to miss one day. Just curious if I will totally be boning myself one way or another.

It's too early to worry about the testing schedule haha
There is a protocol in place when you have to miss an exam. You usually make it up a day or so after you return.

If you are interviewing tomorrow, please leave your home/hotel early as we are expecting heavy snow.
If the school closes, I'll post it here to let you all know.

I definitely would agree that probably most students were at home studying because on my interview day there were tons of students on campus and actually several of them popped into the area we were all hanging out to chat and just answer questions. But it wasn't like in a planned way like admissions asked them to do it. It came off as very genuine and was honestly one of the coolest parts of my interview day, I felt like the current students actually cared a little bit about us. That sounds cheesy but at no other interview did any students talk to us. Also on our tour there was a lot of students preparing for an OMM exam and they seemed to be having so much fun, laughing, joking around, etc. Maybe its just me but I've always thought the sign of a good school was students who seemed relatively happy (all things considered). Just my two cents!!

Reactions: 2 users

If you interviewed in December, it definitely would have been more empty, especially if it was during one of our exams or one of the days where we didn't have to come to school. We had finals throughout December and most of us didn't have lab towards the end, so we didn't have any mandatory classes to attend and a lot of us we were at home studying for finals. Normally it's pretty busy! With that said, RVU and DMU are pretty different in terms of their locations, curriculum, etc so only you can decide what it's the best fit for you! :)

I really liked DMU and it was hard to turn it down. I personally think I will like the curriculum at RVU better. If I were you I would just go where you feel more at home as I think that is the place you will do your best. Good luck with the decision!

I just applied.. today. Kind of late, but I figured why not due to the GPA drop next cycle. I've never been to colorado, so can anyone provide my any insight on answering the secondaries? Or any insight on the school that I can't find on the website? Thanks!

Anyone know when the FB group is going to be made? Can't wait to get to know some of my possible future classmates!

Are there any current students/previous students on here that can give a little insight to daily life as a med student at RVU? What can we expect for our first semester? What is a typical day like for you?

Are there any current students/previous students on here that can give a little insight to daily life as a med student at RVU? What can we expect for our first semester? What is a typical day like for you?

A typical day depends mostly on which "block" you are in. So, first semester, you begin with the Biochemistry "block," then immunology/hematology, then musculoskeletal system, Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Nephrology. Concurrent to your systems classes, you have Osteopathic Principles and Practice (OPP), Ethics, Clinical Medicine (where you learn how to be a doctor). A "block" can last 3 weeks (like Respiratory) or 2 months (like musculoskeletal). What's nice is that the schedule is set up in such a way that your "block/systems" class correlates, in some way, with OPP and clinical medicine. So, for example, in Cardio, you will learn thoracic osteopathic maneuvers in OPP and auscultation in clinical medicine. Concurrent to all of this is also gross anatomy lab dissections. You begin anatomy lab during the musculoskeletal and finish next May in Neurology. In some blocks, you will be in lab every day. In some blocks, there is no lab at all. Again, depends on which block you are in. But a "typical/average" day looks like this:

8/9AM - 12PM: lectures. Most are recorded but most students show up anyway because they are usually very interactive and you get a lot more out of them if you are there in person.
12PM-1PM: lunch/club meetings. There's at least 1 club meeting every day. Lots to do on campus. Some students also organize volleyball games or other fun stuff to do during this time too.
1PM-5PM: labs. 1 OPP lab per week + 1 clinical medicine lab per week + variable amount of anatomy lab. Each "lab" is 2 hours long. So if you have an anatomy lab and a clinical medicine lab on the same day, we are done at 5PM. If we only have 1 lab, we are done at 3PM. If we have none, we are done at noon. We also have other stuff sprinkled in every few weeks like ultrasound lab or a lecture or tutoring. But this is what the typical school schedule looks like.
And then most of us go home and rest/eat and then study until 9PM.
You get used to it very fast and the school walks you through it all.
Typically, we have 1 big exam per week from 8AM to 9AM.
Second year looks completely different so I will not comment on that.

Congratulations on all the acceptances

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II yesterday for the CO campus! Totally surprised/excited

Anyone going to make a Facebook group for the Colorado campus? I would, but I'm a terrible moderator.

Has anyone gotten a call yet post interview for this past interview week (jan 7)

Anyone going to make a Facebook group for the Colorado campus? I would, but I'm a terrible moderator.

They like to have an official facebook group for each class. If anyone makes an unofficial one now, they'll probably ask them to close it when they make theirs. You could always call/email and say you're excited to take a look at your future classmates and ask if they have a date for when the facebook group will be running.

Does anyone know when orientation and classes start this summer?

I could have sworn that the Dean said that classes start on or around July 25 each year. I've also heard that there is an optional pre-matriculation week (of classes and such) to get the laggards up to speed.

July 17 is the tentative start day for orientation and July 24 is the tentative start day for classes.
You will receive more information later in the Spring.

Last edited:

At the interview I thought they had told us July 25 which is a Tuesday. I don't know if that was supposed to be classes or orientation.

They like to have an official facebook group for each class. If anyone makes an unofficial one now, they'll probably ask them to close it when they make theirs. You could always call/email and say you're excited to take a look at your future classmates and ask if they have a date for when the facebook group will be running.
The Facebook page for the incoming class is always started by an accepted student. This is encouraged and will not be closed down.

I could have sworn that the Dean said that classes start on or around July 25 each year. I've also heard that there is an optional pre-matriculation week (of classes and such) to get the laggards up to speed.
RVU will not offer a pre-matriculation course this year.