Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview for the UT campus next week. Can anyone tell me about the campus, area, interview, attendance policy, etc.? I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview for the UT campus next week. Can anyone tell me about the campus, area, interview, attendance policy, etc.? I appreciate it!

If this link works you can see the construction site being built. It's in the middle of a beautiful red rock area. Building is not finished yet but should be a very nice new facility with some good simulation labs and great views. http://www.rvu.edu/utah-campus-webcam-feed/

If you have more specific questions about the interview or area feel free to PM me.

It'll provide you with a list of what you're supposed to buy and the option to buy it through a contact the main PCM instructor has, after school begins. A stethoscope is the only thing you REALLY need to own outside of the walls of the practice clinics (all the other tools hang on the walls of clinics that see actual patients), but the PCM instructors will get mad if you don't buy a kit with an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, etc that you drag to every PCM lab. I think you buy a stethoscope separate from that kit though, so you can buy that early if you want. Just make sure it's a quality stethoscope. And don't get a stethoscope with electronic augmentation or you will not be allowed to use it when you take the PE.

And make sure the stethoscope has both a BELL AND a DIAPHRAGM which means it must be "cardiology grade." If it doesn't have a bell, the course director will ask you to purchase another one.
The school has a very good relationship with a few vendors and students get a really good deal on supplies with great insurance included. Honestly, I would recommend just waiting it out and buying it from the school. Ask your parents for an amazon gift card instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview in October and was accepted at the Utah Campus. Absolutely love this location and really enjoyed the atmosphere at the interview. This school is now my #1 choice, I am so excited to start in July!! RVU-UT Class of 2021!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping to be a competitive applicant with a 507 and 3.91 and avg ECs and volunteering

I had my interview in October and was accepted at the Utah Campus. Absolutely love this location and really enjoyed the atmosphere at the interview. This school is now my #1 choice, I am so excited to start in July!! RVU-UT Class of 2021!!!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

What is the key point? If I submit my secondary late, (like around now) do you think I'll get an interview spot?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is the key point? If I submit my secondary late, (like around now) do you think I'll get an interview spot?

Simply put, no. You will already be a reapplicant to those schools though so maybe just get them in as soon as you can and see what happens.

How long does it take to find out the utah decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if any students here have found time to hunt during first or second year? I've always wanted to hunt elk in Colorado.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know if any students here have found time to hunt during first or second year? I've always wanted to hunt elk in Colorado.
Haha same here! I doubt there is time but would be awesome just to get out a few days!

You'll be able to find time. Plenty of people take full days or half days off to ski. Taking a full day off occasionally is definitely doable, and encouraged (at least from me)!

Does anyone know when we will start to get updates as to what our schedules will look like?/ When the white coat ceremony will be? SU

What time can we expect a call from UT? Live in eastern time zone.

What time can we expect a call from UT? Live in eastern time zone.

I interviewed on 2/6 and haven't heard anything yet. I could have sworn they said we would know in a week- is that what you were told as well? If they take a longer time I wouldn't worry- a week is super fast compared to most other schools anyway. I would start worrying if people post about getting acceptance phone calls and the day ends without getting one.

I interviewed on 2/6 and haven't heard anything yet. I could have sworn they said we would know in a week- is that what you were told as well? If they take a longer time I wouldn't worry- a week is super fast compared to most other schools anyway. I would start worrying if people post about getting acceptance phone calls and the day ends without getting one.

Yeah, a weekish. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the same boat-ish. I'm hoping for a call sometime soon. I really loved the campus, dean, staff, and everything about RVUCOM-SU

Yeah, a weekish. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the same boat-ish. I'm hoping for a call sometime soon. I really loved the campus, dean, staff, and everything about RVUCOM-SU
Hey there! As far as I know, we who interviewed 2/4 have yet to be contacted regarding admission. They said 1.5 weeks for us, and we should hear by valentines. Hopefully we don't have to start a broken hearts club :(

Hello, does anyone know the end date for interview season at Rocky Vista?
I called them recently and they told me they are basically done at CO campus but there still is a small chance that they may schedule another interview date if something changes (prob won't).

I just got the acceptance call for the UT campus! So excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call! I'm officially gonna be apart of the RVU-SU innagural class!
Interviewed 2/4

Reactions: 4 users
It says on the portal acceptance letter that it's provisional. What does that mean?

Yes, if you fail it doesn't look good- especially since you'll be taking biochem in med school.

Got the call yesterday, Accepted! Super stoked!
Interviewed 2/7

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking the une biochem course. Does my grade matter at this point?

If I'm not mistaken biochemistry is a required pre-requisite course so if you fail you could have your acceptance revoked.

I remember some people asking and I just saw this posted on myvista.

"Tentative dates:

Orientation will be held the week of July 17

White Coat Ceremony Friday, July 21

First day of classes Tuesday, July 25

Please note that these dates are subject to change.

More details about first year student orientation will be posted closer to matriculation. We look forward to seeing you in July!"

Does anyone know when orientation and classes start this summer?

Anyone who interviewed at the Utah campus recently know if they are planning on doing the White Coat Ceremony in July? I remember him saying it would be at Tuacahn (which is outdoors) so it would be moved back because of the heat.

I heard rumor we are not allowed to work while in medical school? Is this true? I am an RN and can cut down to PRN or one shift a week plus there is plenty of time to do homework at work.

I heard rumor we are not allowed to work while in medical school? Is this true? I am an RN and can cut down to PRN or one shift a week plus there is plenty of time to do homework at work.
I'm not sure if there is a hardfast rule, however, it might be in your best interest to not work at least during the first semester. If after the first semester you think you can handle both medical school and a job, and there is no rule against it, I would say go ahead. However, don't set yourself up for failure from the get go.

Anybody else applying for the navy hpsp scholarship? I'm trying to find a recruiter in my area to start the application process.

Last edited:

It's a real rule. You could maybe have a job and keep it a secret, but I would really strongly recommend setting all that stuff aside and focusing on school. One shift a week surely wouldn't net much money... do you mind if I ask why you want to keep working?

It's a real rule. You could maybe have a job and keep it a secret, but I would really strongly recommend setting all that stuff aside and focusing on school. One shift a week surely wouldn't net much money... do you mind if I ask why you want to keep working?
If its a real rule ill quit. Do not want to do anything i'm not supposed to. Reason being is that on a typical 12 hour shift I could probably get 6-7 hours of homework done and get paid 28 bucks an hour to do so!

Interviewed 2 weeks ago at CO. Accepted pending space. Anybody else get this/what are the chances I'll get in for this year?

Yes but only kind of. Guaranteed acceptance to next year's class if there is not room in this year's class