Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone feeling brave and would like to start the FB group? Otherwise I will take the plung and do it!

Edit: Another question I have is regarding financial aid. I read somewhere that RVU students can't get federal loans to help pay for school? Is that just total nonsense, can RVU students get the same loans as other DO schools or is that true? I know that brand new schools such as BCOM don't get federal loans but RVU isn't that new...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone feeling brave and would like to start the FB group? Otherwise I will take the plung and do it!

Edit: Another question I have is regarding financial aid. I read somewhere that RVU students can't get federal loans to help pay for school? Is that just total nonsense, can RVU students get the same loans as other DO schools or is that true? I know that brand new schools such as BCOM don't get federal loans but RVU isn't that new...
We definitely can get federal loans to pay for school :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Total nonsense :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the call, putting the deposit down tomorrow. For those that got accepted feel free to message me about living situations or anything in particular!

Just got the call, putting the deposit down tomorrow. For those that got accepted feel free to message me about living situations or anything in particular!
Going to start looking for apartments and roommates in March. It will be easier once more people commit to their schools.

What are your thoughts on the Utah campus?

Right now the campus is just two buildings, but they said most of the student housing should be done by spring semester of 2018. Everything is brand new, which is nice, and the surrounding area is really beautiful (red desert mountains, national parks, nice quiet suburb).

As far as academics are concerned, the RVU-SU staff definitely stressed that you get the same quality of education as RVU Colorado. A good portion of the lectures will be video streamed from the Colorado campus though.

Those were my impressions from my interview day. Definitely exceeded my expectations, seems like a great school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how likely am I to get off the waitlist? I was waitlisted after interviewing in early november

Does anyone know whether or not RVU's rotations are ward based, preceptor based, or a mix? Just curious!

Does anyone know if RVU has a second look or open house day for accepted students? I haven't heard of anything but it would be nice.

Does anyone know if RVU has a second look or open house day for accepted students? I haven't heard of anything but it would be nice.

I know RVU hosts a large open house in the Fall, usually around November but I do not recall a specific event for just accepted students.

Waitlisted. Honestly shocked, I thought the interviews went great. I don't really understand.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I felt the same way (interviewed in early fall.) I got the interviewers to laugh pretty hard a few times and had solid answers for everything (IMO.) They review your entire app before making a post-interview decision though, so it's not necessarily your interview that rendered that decision.

Hi, I'd be grateful if anyone could answer a few questions to help me book flights. My Utah interview is scheduled for 2/3 and ends at 1:30pm. Would I be able to make a 3:16pm flight (airport is a 30 min drive from campus)? If it's cutting too close, would leaving a few minutes early reflect poorly on me? I'd have to return the rental car too - is that in the airport or would I need to take a shuttle from the drop off location? The next available flight is 6 hours longer and $150 more expensive so I'm hoping to avoid that. Thanks you!

Hi, I'd be grateful if anyone could answer a few questions to help me book flights. My Utah interview is scheduled for 2/3 and ends at 1:30pm. Would I be able to make a 3:16pm flight (airport is a 30 min drive from campus)? If it's cutting too close, would leaving a few minutes early reflect poorly on me? I'd have to return the rental car too - is that in the airport or would I need to take a shuttle from the drop off location? The next available flight is 6 hours longer and $150 more expensive so I'm hoping to avoid that. Thanks you!

That's cutting it crazy close in my opinion. Granted most of my interviews haven't lasted as long as they were scheduled, dropping off a rental car and (I'm assuming) getting the shuttle back to the airport, getting through security, etc plus the 30 minute drive. Is it a small airport? Seems weird there's only one other flight.

I think that is cutting it too close. My interview day ended right at 1:30. Traffic is not bad in St. George but it is a long way from the school to the airport.

It was a very hard choice but I officially withdrew my RVU-CO acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you incredible deserving people!!! This school is absolutely amazing and so is the area!!!(had to promise myself to one day eventually move out to the denver area haha)

Accepted to RVU-UT today! Just received the call!

I think you would be 100% fine with that flight I've flown out of the St George airport multiple times... Its small almost no security line, traffic is not really a factor, and my interview ended on time, but if you want to be sure just call Utah admissions and ask them what they think. They seemed like very nice people they aren't going to hold it against you trying to save a few dollars.
I ended up calling the admissions office and the person I spoke to seemed confident that it wouldn't be a problem, so I figured I'd book it. From what I was told, the interview day will likely end around 1 pm, the rental drop off area is in the airport so no shuttle needed, and security usually takes <20 min to get through.

Are there any apartments in Parker that most/a lot of students live or are people pretty spread out? I am having major sticker shock at the prices of some of these 1 bedrooms..

Are there any apartments in Parker that most/a lot of students live or are people pretty spread out? I am having major sticker shock at the prices of some of these 1 bedrooms..
There's a lot of of apartments nearby and most students live at Courtney Downs, Dove valley, etc. If you log into your RVU account, there should be a downloadable file that has a list of apartments close by. There's more apartments than those listed, but that list provides some good starting points. The one bed one bath apartments start around 1k-1.3k a month. It's pricey, but the neighborhoods are super nice, most of them have a gym, pool, hot tub, etc. I'm paying 1.3k right now for an apartment, but some of my friends are paying 500-600 dollars because they are renting a house and have a few roommates!

For those that interviewed already, what did you wear? A suit or something business casual? They didn't mention any expected attire and since everyone keeps saying how relaxed the interview is, I don't want to come overdressed.

For those that interviewed already, what did you wear? A suit or something business casual? They didn't mention any expected attire and since everyone keeps saying how relaxed the interview is, I don't want to come overdressed.

Suit for sure! Always suit up for these interviews. Everyone I have seen at all of my interviews have worn suits with the exception of one guy who was in military uniform. When you hear that the interview is casual it is usually about the actual conversation during the interview. They don't grill you too bad on your application and don't hit too hard on ethical questions. PM me if you would like about anything.

Huge fan of the Southern Utah campus. I just withdrew my acceptance because got accepted at my state school, but I loved the energy here when I interviewed and would have been thrilled to attend. There is a real excitement around this school and the prospect of a clean slate, and taking leadership roles in student groups and in the community of Ivins would be really valuable in my opinion. Dean Park is very personable (called to congratulate after acceptance) and I think is creating a really great program. Plus, the curriculum has been refined at RVU-CO, where they are dedicated to providing the best education possible and maintaining their top board scores nationally. I was really impressed by their innovative curriculum (in-depth ultrasound training, cut suits for surgery practice, etc.). Sorry if I seem like a pumper, but wanted to say this was a tough school to turn down and anybody would be lucky to attend. Good luck to all!

Huge fan of the Southern Utah campus. I just withdrew my acceptance because got accepted at my state school, but I loved the energy here when I interviewed and would have been thrilled to attend. There is a real excitement around this school and the prospect of a clean slate, and taking leadership roles in student groups and in the community of Ivins would be really valuable in my opinion. Dean Park is very personable (called to congratulate after acceptance) and I think is creating a really great program. Plus, the curriculum has been refined at RVU-CO, where they are dedicated to providing the best education possible and maintaining their top board scores nationally. I was really impressed by their innovative curriculum (in-depth ultrasound training, cut suits for surgery practice, etc.). Sorry if I seem like a pumper, but wanted to say this was a tough school to turn down and anybody would be lucky to attend. Good luck to all!

Good summary. Got similar vibes from the CO campus.

I'm really looking forward to my interview here. Should I bring anything particular, other than the usuals?

I'm really looking forward to my interview here. Should I bring anything particular, other than the usuals?

I wouldn't. Bring your phone to take pictures of Ivins because its GORGEOUS! You should also ask if they have any pricing estimates on the housing when your down there. ;)

I wouldn't. Bring your phone to take pictures of Ivins because its GORGEOUS! You should also ask if they have any pricing estimates on the housing when your down there. ;)

The housing information is being finalized and will be released mid-late February. As soon as any information regarding housing is available, it will be posted on your portal.

II to UT today (CO pending), pretty excited! Curious if anyone knows if interviewing earlier is better or do they hold open spots for all interview dates through the season? Choices are next week or early March, early March gives me a lot more flexibility with work/flights (and to prepare) but don't want to pass up on potential remaining spots. Also posted to the UT specific board, but this has a lot more activity.

Thanks!

Withdrew my acceptance to the UT campus today. Good luck everyone!

Does anybody know if the CO and UT campuses share any admissions faculty? I have an interview in UT on Friday, and I'm thinking about canceling because I was accepted to COMP Pomona. I'm just wondering if canceling my UT interview could somehow impact a potential II from the CO campus.

Does anybody know if the CO and UT campuses share any admissions faculty? I have an interview in UT on Friday, and I'm thinking about canceling because I was accepted to COMP Pomona. I'm just wondering if canceling my UT interview could somehow impact a potential II from the CO campus.

Totally different admissions committee. I really don't think it would change if you get an II or not from CO.

Does anyone have information on what diagnostic tools we need to buy? I know they will give us some info on this but I have a birthday coming up and some parents who are interested in getting me something med school related. I'm guessing we need to get a stethoscope.

Does the school provide anything?

Does anyone have information on what diagnostic tools we need to buy? I know they will give us some info on this but I have a birthday coming up and some parents who are interested in getting me something med school related. I'm guessing we need to get a stethoscope.

Does the school provide anything?

It'll provide you with a list of what you're supposed to buy and the option to buy it through a contact the main PCM instructor has, after school begins. A stethoscope is the only thing you REALLY need to own outside of the walls of the practice clinics (all the other tools hang on the walls of clinics that see actual patients), but the PCM instructors will get mad if you don't buy a kit with an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, etc that you drag to every PCM lab. I think you buy a stethoscope separate from that kit though, so you can buy that early if you want. Just make sure it's a quality stethoscope. And don't get a stethoscope with electronic augmentation or you will not be allowed to use it when you take the PE.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a third year RVU core rotation site in Pennslyvania? I heard something about that from a student, just wanted to see if anyone's heard anything