Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all -

So, I'm trying to figure out which books will be worthwhile and which I shouldn't waste my $$$ on. This has to have been discussed somewhere ... can anyone direct me? Or at least answer me this: Which book is the absolute best for anatomy? Good ol' Netter? I've seen some fantastic others (Sobotta, Clemente, Moore, Gray's). But, I want one with great text AND easy to understand visuals for study purposes. I'm a science illustrator, so I cannot even explain how psyched I am to pull out my sketch book. Every morning, out by the water, coffee, and sketch book and pen in hand. Feel those structures come to life .... :)

Thanks!
Monica

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would call admissions and ask if they are offering any interviews so you're not wasting your time. If they are, then a LOI won't hurt! Good luck :)
Whenever i call they say they interview into mid april ish but they wouldnt tell me how many seats are left/open... So that sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone familiar with the Okemos area? Is it family friendly? There is about a $400 difference in rent between 'on' campus and 5 minutes away

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone familiar with the Okemos area? Is it family friendly? There is about a $400 difference in rent between 'on' campus and 5 minutes away
Okemos is a really well off, nice town where lots of professors and their families live :)

Reactions: 2 users

Lets just say ive been robbed twice throughout undergrad and both times it happened in lansing while the nicest people ive talked with were people that lived in okemos. This is just my personal opinion and my experience but for a family
Okemos/Meridian>>>East Lansing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lansing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am sorry to hear that! As an incoming MSUCOM student, where are you leaning towards?

I am sorry to hear that! As an incoming MSUCOM student, where are you leaning towards?

I dont have a family and am a "traditional" pre-med so i have no issue with east lansing, just more of your typical loud college parties and drunk usually harmless kids :) EL is more expensive rent wise and continues to be more expensive by the year (major leasing companies are jacking rent up a ridiculous amount each year). So as of right now im between EL for conveniences like walking to class such as hannah/the lodges/berrytree, and saving a couple hundred per month with okemos/meridian. I really enjoyed the people working at/and the community feel of okemos station for example! Still havent decided but you cant go wrong with either if you dont mind your classic college environment!

Yo fam wtf is a titer

Yo fam wtf is a titer
You get your blood drawn (5 tubes) to assure you're still immune to the things you were vaccinated for. If you're under the level for immunity, you have to get a booster of the vaccine aka some extra antigens all up in ya blood.

You get your blood drawn (5 tubes) to assure you're still immune to the things you were vaccinated for. If you're under the level for immunity, you have to get a booster of the vaccine aka some extra antigens all up in ya blood.
Sheeeeeeeesh my PCP is gonna be drawing a hella lot of blood.

5? Mine did 3 or 4...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all -

So, I'm trying to figure out which books will be worthwhile and which I shouldn't waste my $$$ on. This has to have been discussed somewhere ... can anyone direct me? Or at least answer me this: Which book is the absolute best for anatomy? Good ol' Netter? I've seen some fantastic others (Sobotta, Clemente, Moore, Gray's). But, I want one with great text AND easy to understand visuals for study purposes. I'm a science illustrator, so I cannot even explain how psyched I am to pull out my sketch book. Every morning, out by the water, coffee, and sketch book and pen in hand. Feel those structures come to life .... :)

Thanks!
Monica
dont buy any book, they give you an atlas at orientation. If you buy anything i recommend you buy essential anatomy app

I dont have a family and am a "traditional" pre-med so i have no issue with east lansing, just more of your typical loud college parties and drunk usually harmless kids :) EL is more expensive rent wise and continues to be more expensive by the year (major leasing companies are jacking rent up a ridiculous amount each year). So as of right now im between EL for conveniences like walking to class such as hannah/the lodges/berrytree, and saving a couple hundred per month with okemos/meridian. I really enjoyed the people working at/and the community feel of okemos station for example! Still havent decided but you cant go wrong with either if you dont mind your classic college environment!

Thanks for the insight! Don't have family quite yet, just my girlfriend and I. Figure further from campus/more families means more courteous and quiet neighbors. Have had bad experiences with drunken idiots and loud music til 2-3am in undergrad.

Okemos is my second choice after the family housing at 1855. Prefer the quality + price of the on-campus option but I think I'd be happy with either. Love the bike/bus options because I just don't have the will to commute far by car anymore.

Hey all -

Thanks!
Monica

dont buy any book, they give you an atlas at orientation. If you buy anything i recommend you buy essential anatomy app
I second this and recommend going in on a subscription to anatomy and physiology revealed with a couple classmates to prelab and since all the quiz questions come from images off of this site

Also the green gray's question book is really good for clinical anatomy questions and is like $15 used

Don't buy an atlas. You get one from SOMA for free and I barely used mine.

I second this and recommend going in on a subscription to anatomy and physiology revealed with a couple classmates to prelab and since all the quiz questions come from images off of this site

Also the green gray's question book is really good for clinical anatomy questions and is like $15 used

Don't buy an atlas. You get one from SOMA for free and I barely used mine.

I was also told that First said step 1 is a nice compliment to fall semester. Obviously more useful later on, but thought it might be a good idea to get familiar with it in the fall

Are anyone's background checks/fingerprinting coming up as completed or compliant on stuinfo? I completed mine two months ago and it doesn't show up as compliant.

Are anyone's background checks/fingerprinting coming up as completed or compliant on stuinfo? I completed mine two months ago and it doesn't show up as compliant.

I completed mine 2 months ago too so I contacted the school and they said they had received all of the info, but were a bit delayed in entering everything into the system! So it should be up soon!

Where on stuinfo can we check this? Whatever website we use to get them done says mine is complete/accepted, but i havent heard anything directly from msu!

I remember that they never really updated it last year at all lol. Don't worry about it as long as you submitted it.

Anybody know how deep each of the site's waitlist runs, and how often people get off that and into the site of their preference? I don't want to sign a lease at Macomb yet.

EL! (But low key go blue)

(going to root for both until they play each other, go blue)

Anybody know how deep each of the site's waitlist runs, and how often people get off that and into the site of their preference? I don't want to sign a lease at Macomb yet.

(going to root for both until they play each other, go blue)

Yeah if you're on EL's waitlist I wouldn't commit to anything in Macomb just yet. I was placed at Macomb (and EL waitlist) on March 2nd then notified of an opening at the EL site about 10 days later. (go blue)

Do we need to be current on all immunizations prior to starting med school or by third year clinical rotations? My immune system needs some work done apparently. Do we just contact our PCP to get vaccines/titers? Seriously never had a titer in my life.

Do we need to be current on all immunizations prior to starting med school or by third year clinical rotations? My immune system needs some work done apparently. Do we just contact our PCP to get vaccines/titers? Seriously never had a titer in my life.
Yep! I just saw my PCP for the blood work then his office mailed me a copy of my vaccination records and the titer results. If you aren't up to date with vaccinations, call their office and see which they can do there. Walgreens or CVS locations can do a lot of the vaccinations too. I'm pretty sure we need to be current on all immunizations before school begins, but if you are in the middle of a series or something and won't be completely finished, I'd give them a call.

Needs to be before med school. And yes contact your PCP and ask for an order to be sent to the lab for titers for all your vaccines (MMR, chicken pox, hepatitis B). Then you'll get a report from the lab saying if you're immune or not. You'll also need to contact your local heath department to get a copy of your immunizations if you're over 25, because people born before 1992 aren't always apart of MICR.

Do you need to resend your transcripts even if they have been uploaded and verified by AACOMAS? I would assume they went through your grades before the interview and after they accepted you.

Do you need to resend your transcripts even if they have been uploaded and verified by AACOMAS? I would assume they went through your grades before the interview and after they accepted you.
Yes. It says right on the admissions offer that they don't have access to the transcripts from AACOMAS.

Yes. It says right on the admissions offer that they don't have access to the transcripts from AACOMAS.

Hey! Idk if I jumped into this mid-convo, but the class of 2021 page (Important Information ALL Incoming Students MUST Know - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Michigan State University) scroll down to Course Deficiencies and Transcripts. I think it's insinuating that only new/uncleared courses need to be updated. I have not confirmed this with the office, however I think it would be crazy if every accepted student had to resend allllll of their transcripts

Hey! Idk if I jumped into this mid-convo, but the class of 2021 page (Important Information ALL Incoming Students MUST Know - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Michigan State University) scroll down to Course Deficiencies and Transcripts. I think it's insinuating that only new/uncleared courses need to be updated. I have not confirmed this with the office, however I think it would be crazy if every accepted student had to resend allllll of their transcripts
No you literally have to send all your transcripts to msucom! They do not have the ability to get them from aacomas and they need them on file.

From our admissions offer:

Prior to your enrollment at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) we require official transcripts from all institutions attended. AACOMAS does not release transcripts. Wait until you have completed your degree, if applicable, before having the transcript sent. If you are currently completing prerequisite requirements, wait until you have completed this coursework to order the transcript. Be sure to allow sufficient time for the student records office to record your courses and/or degree before requesting the transcript. Please have transcripts mailed from ALL institutions you have attended in the past.

So, is there any way at all to get the $1000 deposit refunded if someone decides not to end up going to MSUCOM? Or is it 100% that money is gone for good?

The match , no specific. But here
ImageUploadedBySDN1490897348.631616.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not sure if I should order the lab coat or scrubs for anatomy. Does anyone know if we will ever need the lab coat after anatomy is over?

I'm not sure if I should order the lab coat or scrubs for anatomy. Does anyone know if we will ever need the lab coat after anatomy is over?
no you wont but you will be back in the lab for uro, cardio, neuro, and resp. I suggest you get the Scrubs, you can use those for both opc and Lab

Doesn't it seem a little odd that there's no AOA peds matches? Not that it's a bad thing, just seems weird for a DO school with a lot of SCS residencies.
i think a majority of them went ACGME thats why, but dont quote me on it