Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Questions from last year, hopefully they do not change too much

1. Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500 words maximum

2. How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skill sets? 500

3. What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life? 250

4. If you had to choose a different career path what would that be? 250

Members don't see this ad :)
also do the questions change a lot year from year? does anyone happen to know this?

They changed slightly between the two years I applied.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

I don't think AACOMAS has even released the primary apps to schools for this cycle so nobody will have gotten a secondary with the prompts.

when are the primary apps released to schools? I thought it was as soon as your primary app gets verified by AACOMAS.....

Also, would you recommend writing secondaries based on the prompts provided above or just wait till actual questions are released?

when are the primary apps released to schools? I thought it was as soon as your primary app gets verified by AACOMAS.....

Also, would you recommend writing secondaries based on the prompts provided above or just wait till actual questions are released?
It is to your advantage to get it in so it gets verified but none of the apps get released by AACOMAS to schools until June 15. I had mine submitted this past cycle in early May though that way I was all verified and my app was sent out with the first batch to all the schools.

That's your call on prewriting. I didn't do it because I knew I had the time to sit down and type my essays out quickly. I had all of my secondary apps returned to schools within two days after receiving them. The downfall to this approach was that for about a month or two all I did was type essays. I still would do it this way though if I had to do it again. I still got a lot of interviews this way so it worked out for me.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile app

Hi everyone -- I'm just starting my third year and am happy to answer any questions you may have about the school. Being a bit removed from the applicant side of things I probably can't help much there (the process has changed a lot in the last few years!), but hopefully there will be a few other COM people checking out this thread now and again.

Good luck with your applications! :)

Reactions: 3 users
^Piggybacking off of that....

I am an incoming first year student at MSUCOM. Happy to answer questions from the applicant side and whatever else I can help you all with. (SpartanWolverine is awesome and super helpful btw).

Reactions: 3 users
What do you guys think the chances of MSUCOM breaking an average of 30/508 for MCAT this year? I have a subpar GPA for them and am banking on a higher than average mcat to be competitive(haven't gotten my score back yet though so this could end up not happening).

Their program seems amazing and from what I've noticed is getting quite competitive!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do you guys think the chances of MSUCOM breaking an average of 30/508 for MCAT this year? I have a subpar GPA for them and am banking on a higher than average mcat to be competitive(haven't gotten my score back yet though so this could end up not happening).

Their program seems amazing and from what I've noticed is getting quite competitive!

I doubt the average will top the equivalent of 30 in the near future unless we start cherrypicking applicants solely based on MCAT (not going to happen; the review process really is "holistic").

However, a higher than average MCAT, in my experience, can "make up" for a low GPA at MSUCOM moreso than other schools. Said another way, MSUCOM is more flexible with GPA and less flexible with MCAT (e.g., a low MCAT can sink you even with a decent GPA). So, hopefully your MCAT went well! :)

I doubt the average will top the equivalent of 30 in the near future unless we start cherrypicking applicants solely based on MCAT (not going to happen; the review process really is "holistic").

However, a higher than average MCAT, in my experience, can "make up" for a low GPA at MSUCOM moreso than other schools. Said another way, MSUCOM is more flexible with GPA and less flexible with MCAT (e.g., a low MCAT can sink you even with a decent GPA). So, hopefully your MCAT went well! :)

Thank you very much that's good to hear :) can't wait to get this application process rolling!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm guessing the average MCAT will stay at about a 28-29 (507?). Make an appointment with Anne Snyder and make sure to have the rest of your app perfected if you already know your GPA is weak. Good luck on the MCAT!

I'm guessing the average MCAT will stay at about a 28-29 (507?). Make an appointment with Anne Snyder and make sure to have the rest of your app perfected if you already know your GPA is weak. Good luck on the MCAT!

Thank you! I met with Lorie last semester and I'm planning on meeting with her again soon! They're all so helpful and nice! I'm still working on improving my app, and I'm taking two more classes this summer before I submit around July. I hope that's not too late in the game!

Thank you! I met with Lorie last semester and I'm planning on meeting with her again soon! They're all so helpful and nice! I'm still working on improving my app, and I'm taking two more classes this summer before I submit around July. I hope that's not too late in the game!

Late June/early July is still early. Kill that MCAT though!

Late June/early July is still early. Kill that MCAT though!

Thank you! I took it the 2nd so now we play the waiting game! I got 509 on the practice but in my opinion they've really amped up the MCAT recently so I have no idea what to expect, hoping for the best

Thank you! I took it the 2nd so now we play the waiting game! I got 509 on the practice but in my opinion they've really amped up the MCAT recently so I have no idea what to expect, hoping for the best

I think everyone feels uneasy when they are waiting for their scores. I'm sure you did fine!

Lorie is great! Everyone in admissions is awesome, but she's one of my favorites because she's the one who made my acceptance call :laugh:. Agreed with @DrPatriot that you're fine submitting in July.

Lorie is great! Everyone in admissions is awesome, but she's one of my favorites because she's the one who made my acceptance call :laugh:. Agreed with @DrPatriot that you're fine submitting in July.

Hahaha that's quite understandable then!! But awesome thank you!

I'm hoping to submit my primary tomorrow. Does anyone know how successful reapplicants are with MSUCOM? Best of luck to everyone!

I'm hoping to submit my primary tomorrow. Does anyone know how successful reapplicants are with MSUCOM? Best of luck to everyone!
I was a reapplicant and I am in the class of 2020. At our orientation it seemed like we have a lot of people who were successful reapplicants. The key is to talk with an advisor about why you weren't successful the first time and then show some improvement or added work this cycle.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

I am a reapplicant this cycle, I have met with Anne a bunch and she has been amazing. She makes me feel so confident! I am really interested in MUC because I grew up right across the street and am connected to the area. Do you think it's worth mentioning on the secondary I specifically interested in that site, since it seems to be the least popular of the three?

I was a reapplicant and I am in the class of 2020. At our orientation it seemed like we have a lot of people who were successful reapplicants. The key is to talk with an advisor about why you weren't successful the first time and then show some improvement or added work this cycle.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile
Thanks for the info. That's basically what I've done. I must say that Anne Snyder has been incredibly helpful in that regard.

I recently read somewhere that the average matriculant had around 1800hrs of community service. Is this true? I understand MSU does a very good job at weighing ECs more heavily, especially volunteering. But I don't have nearly 1800hrs :O I hope that doesn't put me at more of a disadvantage

I recently read somewhere that the average matriculant had around 1800hrs of community service. Is this true? I understand MSU does a very good job at weighing ECs more heavily, especially volunteering. But I don't have nearly 1800hrs :O I hope that doesn't put me at more of a disadvantage

If I recall correctly, the COM secondary allows you to count high school hours, which can account for some of that... but even then, that sounds high. I believe I was in the range of 500-750 hours total. It can add up quickly if you take some time to think all the way back to your freshman year of high school, though! So definitely take some time to think about (and ask your parents about) volunteering experiences you may have forgotten -- things like Boy Scouts, Relay for Life, blood drives, and whatever else you did potentially 8+ years ago can be easy to forget.

Personally, I think demonstrating a wide variety of volunteer experiences is more valuable than many hours at a few places.

If I recall correctly, the COM secondary allows you to count high school hours, which can account for some of that... but even then, that sounds high. I believe I was in the range of 500-750 hours total. It can add up quickly if you take some time to think all the way back to your freshman year of high school, though! So definitely take some time to think about (and ask your parents about) volunteering experiences you may have forgotten -- things like Boy Scouts, Relay for Life, blood drives, and whatever else you did potentially 8+ years ago can be easy to forget.

Personally, I think demonstrating a wide variety of volunteer experiences is more valuable than many hours at a few places.

That's good to hear! I can't recall much off of the top of my head but I'll try and reflect on it and see what I can remember.

I'm glad you think that, because that's exactly what I've been doing. I'm hoping they don't look at my volunteering and think it's because I'm
incapable of staying somewhere or that I don't show longevity, it's just I want to get a wide variety of experiences serving different communities in different ways.

How am I supposed to remember things from HIGH SCHOOL? That was 10 years ago!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received and submitted! Good luck everyone! :)

Secondary submitted! First one of the cycle! GOOD LUCK!

Prompts: What exposure have you had to osteopathic medicine? (500)
How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skillsets? (500)
What do you want your legacy to be to your friends, family and the community in the future? (250)
OPTIONAL
Below you may provide any additional information, not previously stated, you feel will help us gain a complete picture of your life experience. This may include major life achievements or explanations of application discrepancies. (500)

@AlteredScale

As someone who hasn't shadowed a DO, how are you guys going about answering the exposure to osteopathic medicine question. I was originally going to talk about all the research I've done on the principles and the books I've read... but now I'm a little confused about how to proceed since they're not asking "why Do?" but "what exposure do you have?"

As someone who hasn't shadowed a DO, how are you guys going about answering the exposure to osteopathic medicine question. I was originally going to talk about all the research I've done on the principles and the books I've read... but now I'm a little confused about how to proceed since they're not asking "why Do?" but "what exposure do you have?"
I was fortunate enough to participate in the NYLF forum on medicine in high school and my group leader was a DO med student. I'm going to speak about that in addition to the one time I shadowed a DO. I would say if you haven't done any shadowing to speak about articles you've read by DO's or talks by DO's you've seen online. Exposure doesn't necessarily equal shadowing (at least that's my take).

I was fortunate enough to participate in the NYLF forum on medicine in high school and my group leader was a DO med student. I'm going to speak about that in addition to the one time I shadowed a DO. I would say if you haven't done any shadowing to speak about articles you've read by DO's or talks by DO's you've seen online. Exposure doesn't necessarily equal shadowing (at least that's my take).
Read Gevitz' book!

How much stuff from HS are you guys adding? I can only think of my one significant one, I don't remember all the little things.

I just did the most significant things from HS. Secondary submitted! :)

How much stuff from HS are you guys adding? I can only think of my one significant one, I don't remember all the little things.

I'm only including long term commitments, so no blood drives or smaller events. Mostly pre-university hospital volunteering and leadership.

Good luck everyone! Get those secondaries submitted quickly. Feel free to ask any questions and I'd be happy to answer and help the best I can (during a break in my studying of course).

2 weeks in and it is going well!

@SpartanWolverine , I have a random question. Do you know if there are any school sponsored research programs at MSUCOM for either the summer before entrance or during the school year (fall/spring/summer)? I wanted to get involved with research, primarily something cancer related, and trying to get a feel for what each university has to offer.