Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, what are everyone's thoughts on the current sexual assault scandal going down at MSU? In which a MSUCOM doc assaulted possibly hundreds of young girls under the guise of osteopathic manipulative techniques...?

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2017/03/03/scorecard-protect-and-serve-lawrence-nassar-assault

Dean Strampel has been named in the lawsuit and apparently knew it was happening and failed to act decisively or appropriately, instead telling the doctor he was "happy to have him back" and advising the doctor to modify his procedures, which he never actually did. I can't imagine this is good press for the college and I wonder how long it will be before he steps down, considering multiple individuals have already resigned as a result of this news.

Members don't see this ad.

Got pulled off the tier 1 waitlist today! Received the call around 1 pm EST :biglove:
Interviewed feb 15

Reactions: 10 users
By the way, for anyone who is accepted but on the waiting list for EL, I got an email yesterday notifying me that EL site is open and confirmed my spot there! So it seems like there is going to be movement even before the end of April. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So, what are everyone's thoughts on the current sexual assault scandal going down at MSU? In which a MSUCOM doc assaulted possibly hundreds of young girls under the guise of osteopathic manipulative techniques...?

Could Lawrence Nassar have been stopped?

Dean Strampel has been named in the lawsuit and apparently knew it was happening and failed to act decisively or appropriately, instead telling the doctor he was "happy to have him back" and advising the doctor to modify his procedures, which he never actually did. I can't imagine this is good press for the college and I wonder how long it will be before he steps down, considering multiple individuals have already resigned as a result of this news.
Vaguely related, but the other school got an acceptance at is dealing with a similar situation except with a male professor accused of acting inappropriately with male students....

How do you win in this situation?

Could Lawrence Nassar have been stopped?

As a current student I can thankfully say that this hasn't effected our education. Although, we are definitely being taught hand placement when doing upper thoracic manipulations to avoid sensitive areas. While the evidence and disgusting acts are still being uncovered I don't think it will make that much difference to the college itself going forward.

Dean Strampel was just added to the lawsuit in the beginning of March, most likely because he is the head of the college. I personally really like the way he speaks and the message he portrays on behalf of the college but if he were to leave, MSUCOM would still move forward with the very capable staff we have now. Strampel himself will tell you that he shouldn't have any interaction with you during your time as a student. He should shake your hand during the white coat ceremony and again at graduation. Nassar's disgusting actions don't represent the MSUCOM community and I can assure you they won't negatively effect our education going forward. I hope they can bring some justice and a little healing to the victims though. It's a very sad situation.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question. Is it too late for me to apply for financial aid?

Quick question. Is it too late for me to apply for financial aid?
No not at all! You can just google FASFA and it'll take you to the gov website. Fill everything out accordingly - you'll also be prompted to plug in the school. Once you're completed and FASFA processes the request, they'll send it to MSUCOM so they can calculate your offer!

I just received my PID & PAN numbers and received notification that I've been enrolled in anatomy! This is so exciting!! :clap:

Last edited:
ANTR 510, 8 credits showing up on the schedule for the summer! Feeling more and more real every day!

Reactions: 1 users
I have such severe FOMO right now.

Dont worry! I may or may not already have access to MSU's stuinfo page(oops done outed my undergrad location), also when i was checking to make sure i applied for undergrad graduation I was also able to see the option for Doctorate of Osteopathic medicine in my account :) shoulda just clicked it and hoped they let it slide lmfao

Dont worry! I may or may not already have access to MSU's stuinfo page(oops done outed my undergrad location), also when i was checking to make sure i applied for undergrad graduation I was also able to see the option for Doctorate of Osteopathic medicine in my account :) shoulda just clicked it and hoped they let it slide lmfao
That'll save ya some time + 200K debt!

Are they still sending out II? When i called them, they said they would till mid april ish but no word since then.

No not at all! You can just google FASFA and it'll take you to the gov website. Fill everything out accordingly - you'll also be prompted to plug in the school. Once you're completed and FASFA processes the request, they'll send it to MSUCOM so they can calculate your offer!
Thank you!

Just waiting for that sweet, sweet student info.

Reactions: 4 users
also can see my loan amount just for summer 2017 rn, no fall/spring yet. I'm assuming that doesnt come till we are registered for those classes?(which for others according to msu, fall/spring registration doesnt start till april 4th). Also is it safe to assume the 2016-2017 budget costs(latest ones posted that i can find) would be around the same for 2017-2018?

I was accepted off the tier 1 waitlist last friday, and didn't know that the EL campus was full. I signed a lease in EL right away, and today was notified that i was placed in the Macomb campus. They put me on a waitlist for the EL campus, and stated that they are unable to disclose any statistics about the waitlist. Does anyone know details about this? Like how many get moved to EL, how this waitlist works, how many people are on it, when most movement occurs, etc? Kinda freaking out

I was accepted off the tier 1 waitlist last friday, and didn't know that the EL campus was full. I signed a lease in EL right away, and today was notified that i was placed in the Macomb campus. They put me on a waitlist for the EL campus, and stated that they are unable to disclose any statistics about the waitlist. Does anyone know details about this? Like how many get moved to EL, how this waitlist works, how many people are on it, when most movement occurs, etc? Kinda freaking out

First come first , I suggest you wait it out till 3rd week of may. That's when we had a lot of movement but nothing is promised. Just be happy you got in. If it doesn't open up, usually in 2 semester el has spots, so you may have to stay at Macomb for semester.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello all! Recently accepted student here. Has anyone recently called the office to ask which campuses are still available. I really want to get placed in EL, and I've heard that it's usually the last one to get filled, but I wanted to see if anyone here could provide some insight. Thanks!!
I got placed at Macomb and would like to be in EL as well. I called them to ask about waitlist details and they did not seem happy to be bothered with these questions, which is understandable i guess since their email said that they can't disclose this info.

First come first , I suggest you wait it out till 3rd week of may. That's when we had a lot of movement but nothing is promised. Just be happy you got in. If it doesn't open up, usually in 2 semester el has spots, so you may have to stay at Macomb for semester.

Thank you! do you think i should keep my lease in EL until then?

and when you say a semester, do you mean summer semester after anatomy?

Is there a MSUCOM facebook page for Detroit location or universal MSUCOM page-- all I can find is the EL one?

I withdrew my acceptance and spot in EL so I'm sure the waitlist will be moving. I hope you are able to get a spot. If not, I'm sure you will be able to transfer the lease to someone else.

I feel like making housing arrangements when decision is not 100% finalized it too risky. For people who don't know for sure which site they are going to, I would recommend not making arrangements yet. Worst case scenario you could find a cheap sublease over the summer and make real plans for the fall once you are 100% sure.

I don't know if this is the best way to go, but it's probably what I will be doing.

I feel like making housing arrangements when decision is not 100% finalized it too risky. For people who don't know for sure which site they are going to, I would recommend not making arrangements yet. Worst case scenario you could find a cheap sublease over the summer and make real plans for the fall once you are 100% sure.

I don't know if this is the best way to go, but it's probably what I will be doing.

What? What does 100% sure in the fall mean

Thank you! do you think i should keep my lease in EL until then?
nothing is 100% but its a high, theres usually a few from each campus that dont make it past anatomy and another few who dont make it past fall so spots do open up

I guess my post was poorly worded but I'm saying it might be better to hold off on paying a deposit for rent unless you are sure you are going to be there.

I guess my post was poorly worded but I'm saying it might be better to hold off on paying a deposit for rent unless you are sure you are going to be there.
do not pay i would recommend you find a place near your site

Well I have already signed a lease for next year in EL so its a little late for that. I didn't have to pay any deposits. I feel like since its still march, there will be a good amount of movement April 30th when people have to choose their school. And since I am already in and not on a waitlist for COM in general, I could likely be on the higher end of this waitlist for the EL campus. Does that make sense? Just trying to make myself feel better.

Well I have already signed a lease for next year in EL so its a little late for that. I didn't have to pay any deposits. I feel like since its still march, there will be a good amount of movement April 30th when people have to choose their school. And since I am already in and not on a waitlist for COM in general, I could likely be on the higher end of this waitlist for the EL campus. Does that make sense? Just trying to make myself feel better.
if it helps you sleep at night but id look around MUC just incase