Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anatomy can't possibly be 7 am-12pm, Monday through Friday all summer.....right? lol:eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anatomy can't possibly be 7 am-12pm, Monday through Friday all summer.....right? lol:eyebrow:
not all summer, and its not mandatory 95% of the time so you can sit at home and stream lecture

Reactions: 3 users
for current students, how often do you have to be on campus on average? Is it 5 days/week or less?

the reason why I'm asking is because Macomb is ~30 mins from my house. It would be a hassle to drive there everyday but if I only have to go 3-4 times/week it wouldn't be bad. I'm considering moving my seat from Lansing back to Macomb to save some $$

Members don't see this ad :)
for current students, how often do you have to be on campus on average? Is it 5 days/week or less?

the reason why I'm asking is because Macomb is ~30 mins from my house. It would be a hassle to drive there everyday but if I only have to go 3-4 times/week it wouldn't be bad. I'm considering moving my seat from Lansing back to Macomb to save some $$

Oh why the sudden change in you option on Macomb? Idk why Macomb is a last choice for people it's the most modern of most campuses and literally has everything you can want in a 3 mile radius from the site. And to answer your question it's normally btw 2-3 times a week

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Oh why the sudden change in you option on Macomb? Idk why Macomb is a last choice for people it's the most modern of most campuses and literally has everything you can want in a 3 mile radius from the site. And to answer your question it's normally btw 2-3 times a week

Good to know! 2-3 weeks is not that bad!

And honestly I'm just afraid of the drive because I'm sure during traffic/snow it would add on an extra 10 mins of driving lol. But the amount of expenses is finally hitting me and I'm considering Macomb so I don't have to pay rent/food. And yes the Macomb site is really nice!! If any of you guys saw a random girl wandering aimlessly through the hallways yesterday that was def me lol.

Good to know! 2-3 weeks is not that bad!

And honestly I'm just afraid of the drive because I'm sure during traffic/snow it would add on an extra 10 mins of driving lol. But the amount of expenses is finally hitting me and I'm considering Macomb so I don't have to pay rent/food. And yes the Macomb site is really nice!! If any of you guys saw a random girl wandering aimlessly through the hallways yesterday that was def me lol.

Us (second years ) weren't there yesterday . We had a massive lab at dmc with the dmc kids. Yes money is everything . That's the only reason I stayed home. An extra 15k - 20 k a year for rent and food is not worth moving out. If you have specific questions pm me. And that goes for anyone interested in the muc site

Question regarding the criminal background check + fingerprinting...

I understand that the fingerprinting is done by appointment only. However, do you set the appointment yourself or is the appointment assigned for you?

Question regarding the criminal background check + fingerprinting...

I understand that the fingerprinting is done by appointment only. However, do you set the appointment yourself or is the appointment assigned for you?

You do it yourself. There is specific centers that Michigan State gets their information from. I did mine in Grosse Pointe because it was the closest one near me. You have to make the appointment ahead of time

Hey, I'm on the Tier 2 Waitlist and OOS. Could anyone tell me if I still have a chance of being accepted? Do they typically take off of Tier 2 Waitlist?

Hey, I'm on the Tier 2 Waitlist and OOS. Could anyone tell me if I still have a chance of being accepted? Do they typically take off of Tier 2 Waitlist?

It's a tough call bruh, all this whole tier thing is repetitively new . But I say keep hanging on to faith

You do it yourself. There is specific centers that Michigan State gets their information from. I did mine in Grosse Pointe because it was the closest one near me. You have to make the appointment ahead of time

Sweet! Thanks so much for the info.

I read that they took all of tier 1 and around half of tier 2 in last year's class. So there is a chance, and tier 1s are getting accepted already.

I read that they took all of tier 1 and around half of tier 2 in last year's class. So there is a chance, and tier 1s are getting accepted already.
does anyone know if the tiers have limited seats? are there a limited amount of students on each tier?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my financial aid (read: loans) offer for Fall of 2017. That's earlier than expected. Haven't received the offers for summer 2017 but I filled that application out a bit later.

I live like 20 minutes from the Macomb campus but living with my parents in the suburbs until I'm 30.... ech

Last edited:
Just got my financial aid (read: loans) offer for Fall of 2017. That's earlier than expected. Haven't received the offers for summer 2017 but I filled that application out a bit later.

I live like 20 minutes from the Macomb campus but living with my parents in the suburbs until I'm 30.... ech

The struggle is real but the 20k per year of food and rent will be worth it

The struggle is real but the 20k per year of food and rent will be worth it

I agree that the cost would be worth it, but my normally accommodating wife would turn into some type of fire-breathing monster.

I agree that the cost would be worth it, but my normally accommodating wife would turn into some type of fire-breathing monster.
ah ya let me rephrase that " if you arent married, staying at home is worth suffering living with your parents at a older age"

Hey guys! Where should we send our transcripts to? You think admissions?

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist on this forum yet?

Got my PID and PIN. Created a MSUID the same day and applied for family housing and I'm now on a waitlist...for an apartment...that only does leases in August.

Nothing can ever be easy, can it?

Got my PID and PIN. Created a MSUID the same day and applied for family housing and I'm now on a waitlist...for an apartment...that only does leases in August.

Nothing can ever be easy, can it?

Not in this profession

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys know is the application for summer financial aid the 2016-2017 FAFSA? or something separate?

Do you guys know what instruments we need to buy if any for our first year?? the budget has like 2k set aside for supplies but the anatomy book and supplies should only be around 300

Do you guys know what instruments we need to buy if any for our first year?? the budget has like 2k set aside for supplies but the anatomy book and supplies should only be around 300
The orientation supplies were something like ~500

ophthalmoscope and friends will be around another 500 in the fall (probably more if you buy new from Welch or such, ~650?)

I'm not sure where the rest comes in

Do not buy an anatomy book, you are given one

I highly recommend you all buy ipads for tests and notes, it makes things much easier. The exam software you will take tests on will destroy your laptop (personal experience and same experience for several class mates) but for some odd reason runs well on ipad

I highly recommend you all buy ipads for tests and notes, it makes things much easier. The exam software you will take tests on will destroy your laptop (personal experience and same experience for several class mates) but for some odd reason runs well on ipad
This is odd, but we are actually not permitted to use the exam software on tablets due to previous problems. Brand new policy starting with our class, it seems.

Gotcha so its orientation supplies, ophthalmoscope, and something to fulfil the tech requirements?

Gotcha so its orientation supplies, ophthalmoscope, and something to fulfil the tech requirements?
I think that's exactly right. There's a few other smaller things you need in the fall too and those add up to a chunk of money (maybe like $200?) but those are the big ones as far as I'm aware. The budget seems to be generous in general as it allots way more to transportation and personal expenses than I can imagine spending. Frugal life.

This is odd, but we are actually not permitted to use the exam software on tablets due to previous problems. Brand new policy starting with our class, it seems.
that is odd, the program works fine on the ipad. But i still stand by my original statement . Buy a crappy computer only for Exams because examsoft destroys you computer. I had 2 classmates buy chrome books while others switched to their ipads

that is odd, the program works fine on the ipad. But i still stand by my original statement . Buy a crappy computer only for Exams because examsoft destroys you computer. I had 2 classmates buy chrome books while others switched to their ipads
I'm typing on a $400 laptop at this very moment. It's ready to die for the cause.

I've never used anything electronic for note-taking before. Did you start with pen & paper and then switch? I'm definitely fine with switching if I find this method doesn't work. Thanks for the advice by the way.

I'm typing on a $400 laptop at this very moment. It's ready to die for the cause.

I've never used anything electronic for note-taking before. Did you start with pen & paper and then switch? I'm definitely fine with switching if I find this method doesn't work. Thanks for the advice by the way.
yes, paper and 5lb course pack for the first exam, and because im a visual person i need colors and picture in my notes. course pack is black and white. So second exam i switch to ipad and it worked out better because i could insert picture of diagrams, charts all from the web using the noteability app

I was also a paper and pen guy during undergrad.

Made the switch to all electronic on my Surface 4 in med school. I love it. I still handwrite and hi-light all my notes but I have the ability to search, and the coursepacks are heavy and large to tote around.

I'm sorry...Where did you find a budget for the upcoming school year?

I was also a paper and pen guy during undergrad.

Made the switch to all electronic on my Surface 4 in med school. I love it. I still handwrite and hi-light all my notes but I have the ability to search, and the coursepacks are heavy and large to tote around.

This. x100

After setting up a fingerprint appointment they charged $64.50 in addition to the $123.75. Does that sound familiar to you guys?

Just got accepted off the 1st tier waitlist around 2:40 pm :) Congrats and good luck to you all :)

Reactions: 6 users
After setting up a fingerprint appointment they charged $64.50 in addition to the $123.75. Does that sound familiar to you guys?
No, you were supposed to enter a coupon code at the checkout stage so they can bill castlebranch instead (because you paid $123 to castle ranch already). The code is on the castle branch website. Call them to see if they can give you a refund.

Can any current student elaborate on what ExamSoft did to their computers?

Can any current student elaborate on what ExamSoft did to their computers?
it slows it down, it freezes it after the exam, changes your background to exam soft logo for like a day , crashed my cpu during exam

No, you were supposed to enter a coupon code at the checkout stage so they can bill castlebranch instead (because you paid $123 to castle ranch already). The code is on the castle branch website. Call them to see if they can give you a refund.

Thanks so much! Fortunately I figured that out before paying haha