Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally rejected after silence since June

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current student elaborate on what ExamSoft did to their computers?
Hasn't done a single thing to anyone at the DMC site this year. The only thing that bothers me is I notice it shuts off the Bluetooth connection to my Surface pen lol. Just have to reconnect it each time.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know anything about how the waitlist for the EL site goes and that process?

Does anyone know anything about how the waitlist for the EL site goes and that process?

You'll receive an email telling you there's an opening. You'll probably have a day or two to reply that you want to accept that spot, otherwise you'll remain in your current site.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else looking to get a health insurance waiver? $200/month for the coverage granted is mediocre when I could have either a tax credit or even medicaid. I'm just trying to figure out why we need "worldwide" coverage for being a student...seems like a pointless hurdle.

Also that SDN update tho

Any current students have any input on housing options. Do more MSUCOM students live in hannah lofts or berrytree, which one is better?

Any current students have any input on housing options. Do more MSUCOM students live in hannah lofts or berrytree, which one is better?

Both are popular apartments for medical students. In my opinion, Hannah Lofts is a bit nicer, and it's closer to Fee Hall. But Berrytree isn't bad by any means. I'd go with the less expensive option!

Members don't see this ad :)
First tuition bill. It's happening! :help:

Oh dang! Has anyone's loans been dispersed yet or does that not happen till the first week of school? I still havent completed the fafsa training :sleep:

I assume it would happen before the first week of school given we have a bill due in May and most people can't be expected to pay $4k out of pocket

I'm still under review for summer loans

For any Canadians coming from Ontario, I just found out that MSUCOM is approved by OSAP and they're willing to give up to 9k in loans per year! I just applied! Thought I'd share. :)

Oh dang! Has anyone's loans been dispersed yet or does that not happen till the first week of school? I still havent completed the fafsa training :sleep:
I got 2 loans. first was ~8k and the second was ~6k. I accepted both and the tuition for the semester and random stuff was taken out of the 8K loan. I think I need to do another FAFSA training module to get the 6K finished and the actual loans should disperse to the bank account in early May.

*DISCLAIMER: I checked this at work and wasn't paying 100% attention*

I got 2 loans. first was ~8k and the second was ~6k. I accepted both and the tuition for the semester and random stuff was taken out of the 8K loan. I think I need to do another FAFSA training module to get the 6K finished and the actual loans should disperse to the bank account in early May.

*DISCLAIMER: I checked this at work and wasn't paying 100% attention*
I need to do the entrance counseling too! Speaking of bank account, has anyone been able to set up their direct deposit info? Every time I try, I get an "unavailable" message. :shrug:

Anyone else looking to get a health insurance waiver? $200/month for the coverage granted is mediocre when I could have either a tax credit or even medicaid. I'm just trying to figure out why we need "worldwide" coverage for being a student...seems like a pointless hurdle.

Also that SDN update tho
Definitely get the waiver if you already have coverage. You need worldwide coverage in case you go on one of the study abroad trips. I just called my insurance company last year and confirmed I had it. The "waiver" is really just checking like 5 boxes online and clicking submit :laugh:

I need to do the entrance counseling too! Speaking of bank account, has anyone been able to set up their direct deposit info? Every time I try, I get an "unavailable" message. :shrug:

I talked to financial aid yesterday about the issue. They told me it was the first they heard about it. A work order would not be submitted until more people called to inform them it wasn't working or it had been over a week that it doesn't work for me.

I talked to financial aid yesterday about the issue. They told me it was the first they heard about it. A work order would not be submitted until more people called to inform them it wasn't working or it had been over a week that it doesn't work for me.

guess I will call today too

Definitely get the waiver if you already have coverage. You need worldwide coverage in case you go on one of the study abroad trips. I just called my insurance company last year and confirmed I had it. The "waiver" is really just checking like 5 boxes online and clicking submit :laugh:
I'm all over that. My insurance lapses on June 1st because I'm officially old then apparently but I'll make sure it's taken care of

Hi everyone,
The deadline for Canadian applicants to become accepted is May 1st, which is approaching fast. I'm still on WL Tier 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to improve my chances? I have already sent a letter of intent, but don't know what else to do. My final grades come out only on May 9th, so I can't even upload my marks before the deadline:(
Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi everyone,
The deadline for Canadian applicants to become accepted is May 1st, which is approaching fast. I'm still on WL Tier 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to improve my chances? I have already sent a letter of intent, but don't know what else to do. My final grades come out only on May 9th, so I can't even upload my marks before the deadline:(
This isn't what you want to hear but I do not think there is anything else you can do.

Hi everyone,

Call admissions! Tell them how much you are interested and that you are looking forward to hearing from them soon. It might help, and it definitely wont hurt. Good luck!!

Hi everyone,
try to get a new volunteering experience or a job and update your colleges! Any effort is great!

try to get a new volunteering experience or a job and update your colleges! Any effort is great!
I don't think its too late to send them update letters. If you know you'll be graduating with honors or another minor, let the college know. Also inform them of any confirmed jobs, volunteering, shadowing,etc! Good luck :)

Really?! That's crazy smh
guess I will call today too
That makes three of us lol. I'll call them up too.

Last edited:
I read that they took all of tier 1 and around half of tier 2 in last year's class. So there is a chance, and tier 1s are getting accepted already.

I know this was posted a little while ago but I was just scrolling through this thread. Where did you hear they took around half of their tier 2 WL last year? I was waitlisted tier 2 back in February and really hoping a spot opens up! I heard theres not much movement off tier 2 unfortunately :/
Btw congrats on the acceptance!

I know this was posted a little while ago but I was just scrolling through this thread. Where did you hear they took around half of their tier 2 WL last year? I was waitlisted tier 2 back in February and really hoping a spot opens up! I heard theres not much movement off tier 2 unfortunately :/
Btw congrats on the acceptance!
Admissions told us that at our interview day but it's only 1 year of data so who knows if this year will follow suit

I know this was posted a little while ago but I was just scrolling through this thread. Where did you hear they took around half of their tier 2 WL last year? I was waitlisted tier 2 back in February and really hoping a spot opens up! I heard theres not much movement off tier 2 unfortunately :/ Btw congrats on the acceptance!

Maybe they won't take half of tier 2 like last year, but certainly some number from the second tier will be accepted. So don't give up, and keep showing interest.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for repeat post, but EL question:

Would you say it's worth the extra money to get an apartment within walking distance to the med school (on Hagadorn or Grand River) or is it better to save and instead commute to the nearest parking lot (although I don't know how much is parking)? Do the parking lots just south of the med school get filled up quickly?

Question: For those of us turning 26 halfway through the school year, can I pick up the MSUCOM insurance in January? I submitted my waiver for the health insurance, but I need to get the MSUCOM one when I turn 26 in February and get kicked off my 'rents insurance.

Would you say it's worth the extra money to get an apartment within walking distance to the med school (on Hagadorn or Grand River) or is it better to save and instead commute to the nearest parking lot (although I don't know how much is parking)? Do the parking lots just south of the med school get filled up quickly?

I think its what you think would work best for you. I've been in EL for the past 4 years for undergrad and during the day it can get pretty busy driving on campus, but I personally get very impatient with traffic (which I think most people would). Then again you would be saving a lot of money going further off campus so I guess its just a personal decision of what you want. You could live closer your first year to get comfortable and situated then finding a place further for your second year if you're comfortable enough. I know of a few medical students that have done that in the past.

Parking is overpriced but hopefully not $100/month. I can't speak for parking availability. Personally I'm living nearby because I've been commuting for years and it's a big waste of my time.

Question: For those of us turning 26 halfway through the school year, can I pick up the MSUCOM insurance in January? I submitted my waiver for the health insurance, but I need to get the MSUCOM one when I turn 26 in February and get kicked off my 'rents insurance.
My understanding is that you're automatically enrolled each semester and likewise need to submit a waiver for every semester in which you do not want the coverage. I think you're totally fine.

Some good thoughts above.

I did both; my first year I commuted in about 15-20 minutes and my second year I lived withing easy biking/walking distance (Berrytree). I personally thought it was worthwhile to live closer to campus for several aspects... 1) I absolutely hate the uncertainty of relying on a car 2) I enjoyed living closer to classmates and 3) Walking to and from class is good exercise and a nice way to clear your mind!

Yes, living closer is significantly more expensive. However, parking is certainly a substantial cost as well (I don't exactly remember the permit cost, but it's on the order of several hundred dollars per year). You also have gas to keep in mind.

Anyhow, it's a personal choice, but it comes down to weighing convenience versus a ~$100-200+ premium per month to live on campus.

For all those with less than perfect stats/feeling like you'll never get in....

I was accepted last year with a 24 MCAT and 3.6 GPA after being denied for two years. The second year I was placed on a wait list and did not get in. After being put on the wait list again the following year (third time applying) I, along with at least two others I know got accepted June 1st 2016, twelve days before orientation. I can't say they have the same timeline and process this year as they did last year but it's important to know that it's never over until the deadline has passed. In my opinion admissions is simply looking for people that they feel will make it through. That being said I think I got in mainly because I did not give up and kept working on improving my experiences. Yea it took me longer because of my stats, but I eventually got in.

I will say that, in my opinion, medical school is extremely doable. The content is not difficult there is just an unfathomable amount of material. It's the amount of time and sacrifice that goes into school that makes it "hard". You will always have something hanging over your head, something to do, that makes enjoying yourself difficult. For me, that is the hardest part. So that is just something to keep in mind. Despite my stats and my strong urges to procrastinate, I am doing very well. In my opinion, stats in no way determine how well you will do in medical school, it is more so the desire to become a physician that is most important. So for those of you that may not get in this year, it is not the end of the world. If you want it bad enough, you will get to where you want to be. I know the awful feeling of checking this thread 5 times a day every day for almost a year while being on the wait list. It sucks but if its truly what you want to do, it will all be worth it. So keep working hard and don't give up, it is definitely possible.

Reactions: 12 users

I was accepted last year with a 24 MCAT and 3.6 GPA after being denied for two years. The second year I was placed on a wait list and did not get in. After being put on the wait list again the following year (third time applying) I, along with at least two others I know got accepted June 1st 2016, twelve days before orientation. I can't say they have the same timeline and process this year as they did last year but it's important to know that it's never over until the deadline has passed. In my opinion admissions is simply looking for people that they feel will make it through. That being said I think I got in mainly because I did not give up and kept working on improving my experiences. Yea it took me longer because of my stats, but I eventually got in.

I will say that, in my opinion, medical school is extremely doable. The content is not difficult there is just an unfathomable amount of material. It's the amount of time and sacrifice that goes into school that makes it "hard". You will always have something hanging over your head, something to do, that makes enjoying yourself difficult. For me, that is the hardest part. So that is just something to keep in mind. Despite my stats and my strong urges to procrastinate, I am doing very well. In my opinion, stats in no way determine how well you will do in medical school, it is more so the desire to become a physician that is most important. So for those of you that may not get in this year, it is not the end of the world. If you want it bad enough, you will get to where you want to be. I know the awful feeling of checking this thread 5 times a day every day for almost a year while being on the wait list. It sucks but if its truly what you want to do, it will all be worth it. So keep working hard and don't give up, it is definitely possible.
There was significant wait list movement after may 20th, so everyone hang in there

Honestly don't remember where I saw this (at work right now), but we have class M-F 8am-12pm the first semester (anatomy).
Sounds about right, you will have 8 am - 12 pm lecture but you can live stream at home, unless its a clinical opc class, lab is a must though. You have clicker points and quizzes

Would you mind sharing what tier you were on?

I did the loan counseling thing and it's still saying I need to do it on StuInfo. Does this matter?

I did the loan counseling thing and it's still saying I need to do it on StuInfo. Does this matter?
That can take some time (days to weeks?) to update. As long as you've done it, you're good! You can certainly get in touch with the financial aid office if it seems to really be holding things up, however.

Cool, cool

Kind of hurts to realize I'm taking a bigger loan for 10 weeks of summer classes than all of undergraduate :prof:

Reactions: 3 users