Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahahahahaha true!

I think I met you! I tried to message you but it said I couldn't send it to you

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all my fellow classmates on receiving the white coat!

Reactions: 6 users
I think I met you! I tried to message you but it said I couldn't send it to you
Haha this reply goes to show how much anatomy has taken over my life already lol.

I was private for a while that was probably why.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm a new applicant here and I'm interviewing on the 28th, but I had a question. So due to my limited knowledge I dont know how the matching system works. My first choice is MSUCOM but my fiance is from NY and though he's moving with me anywhere I go to Med School, he and I both hope I one day match into a residency program in FM or Peds in NY. How likely is that at MSUCOM or am I total noob and the school state has nothing to do with the residency placements? I'd love some input!

Hello! I'm a new applicant here and I'm interviewing on the 28th, but I had a question. So due to my limited knowledge I dont know how the matching system works. My first choice is MSUCOM but my fiance is from NY and though he's moving with me anywhere I go to Med School, he and I both hope I one day match into a residency program in FM or Peds in NY. How likely is that at MSUCOM or am I total noob and the school state has nothing to do with the residency placements? I'd love some input!
Depends..community FM/Peds in not Manhatten is totally doable. Academic hospital FM/peds in Manhatten will be difficult.

Well the school has a mission to retain physicians to train and eventually practice in MI, so there's that. But if you want to return to NY, there won't be anything stopping you from applying to all the residencies in that state and ranking them high, in order to maximize your chance of getting a residency there.

EDIT: There's also a 2017-2018 thread. This is last year's thread haha.
Yeah I noticed it was last year's, but I thought you guys would be more knowledgeable than my own class given that we're all incoming! Well MI and NY would both be my first choices, and I was just wondering if residencies preferred IS/OOS. I actually have no idea how it works.

Depends..community FM/Peds in not Manhatten is totally doable. Academic hospital FM/peds in Manhatten will be difficult.
So getting a residency in Manhattan is just difficult lol. Do you happen to know if other regions are just open to out of state students (I'm sorry if I sound dumb, I have no idea how this works)

So getting a residency in Manhattan is just difficult lol. Do you happen to know if other regions are just open to out of state students (I'm sorry if I sound dumb, I have no idea how this works)

Don't know what you mean by other regions (of NYC?), but FM or Peds anywhere except for top-ranked programs are attainable.

Heck, if you want attainable go for pathology. This year they matched BIDMC/Harvard, University of Michigan, and other awesome programs.

Don't know what you mean by other regions (of NYC?), but FM or Peds anywhere except for top-ranked programs are attainable.
I'm sorry I'm still trying to figure this out. So basically, what you're saying is that you can apply anywhere for rotations/residencies regardless of the school you attend. In other words, the school you attend doesn't put you at a disadvantage for FM/Peds residencies/rotations anywhere across the nation? (forgive me if this is wrong, I'm so afraid to sound dumb, but I have lots of questions)

I'm sorry I'm still trying to figure this out. So basically, what you're saying is that you can apply anywhere for rotations/residencies regardless of the school you attend. In other words, the school you attend doesn't put you at a disadvantage for FM/Peds residencies/rotations anywhere across the nation? (forgive me if this is wrong, I'm so afraid to sound dumb, but I have lots of questions)

Oh, not quite. Residency is after you graduate - you apply during 4th year to wherever you want in your specialty of choice, and depending on where you get interviews and how you did, you rank them and get matched through an algorithm that places you in the program that you ranked highly to the program that ranked you as a candidate highly.

Your 3rd and 4th year rotations do depend on the school. So at MSU, we have the SCS, which include a bunch of hospitals scattered across MI. But in your 4th year, you get some time to do audition rotations at a particular residency location that you're interested in if you want to impress them and improve your chances at getting matched there; that can be anywhere, but you gotta set that up.

At least in terms of FM/Peds, no school would put you at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone mind helping me ease my mind a little? I interviewed this past september 8th and was 2nd tier waitlisted as a canadian. Just looking at my chances of getting in and around what time they start pulling from the waitlist? Thanks guys :) hope your all doing well in OMS1
I actually had a phone appt. with an advisor an hour and a half ago because I am on the waitlist as well. I am not Canadian so I am not sure how much it applies to you but I can run down the stats and new info I know. This is my second year applying and they had taken all of American Tier 1 and about half of the Tier 2 waitlist both years. As for when, the usual movement is in April/May (especially tier 2) but what I had learned today is that they periodically check the waitlists in comparison to the applicants who had just interviewed. Basically, it could happen whenever.

Someone mind helping me ease my mind a little? I interviewed this past september 8th and was 2nd tier waitlisted as a canadian. Just looking at my chances of getting in and around what time they start pulling from the waitlist? Thanks guys :) hope your all doing well in OMS1

There were Canadians on the 1st tier wait list last cycle who didn't end up getting pulled from it :(

I definitely would not bank on a tier two WL. Maybe try sending a few more applications in for other DO schools?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk