Duke-NUS GMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, sorry about the double... er.... multiple posts. The page didn't appear and I kept clicking the button...

Members don't see this ad.

Should I expect half of my tution to be paid off by FA and the rest can be loaned? *nervous*

Should I expect half of my tution to be paid off by FA and the rest can be loaned? *nervous*

Half? I dunno, man. Depends on your financial status. But you can supposedly loan up to 90% of your tuition fees.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys, i have a few questions in mind and was wondering if anyone over here would be able to provide me some form of answers. :)

firstly, do we need excellent cap or gpa scores for entry to duke-nus? i mean, i still have time to pull up my cap but in a competitive faculty like mine i'm really quite doubtful as to how much further my cap can go. Any ex-nus students(prior to entering duke-nus) here who will be able to give me an idea?

next thing would be, is research work helpful? i mean, will the chances of entry to duke-nus be higher with research work?

also, would i be able to apply to duke after the third year instead of after completing my 4th year honours degree just so i can do medicine earlier? would the honours degree still make a difference if your cap/gpa is almost perfect at the end of year 3 already?

lastly, i read about the av. mcat scores of 29-30. did you guys manage to make it in with this av scores?

sorry for the many questions and thanks alot for helping me out. :)

Hey What up ya'll,

I am applying for admissions to Duke-NUS towards the end of this year for 2010 entry. For those others who are in the same boat, lets set up an email list so we can help one another gain entry into this great school. pm me and we can keep in touch. I guess step one for us now is doing well on MCAT so msg me and we will keep in touch.

Good luck to ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got invited for an interview in 2 weeks' time :laugh:. Thank God, I thought they had forgotten about me.

Time to prepare for it hehe.

bioinformatics, your interview must be coming up very soon! good luck!!

hi guys, i have a few questions in mind and was wondering if anyone over here would be able to provide me some form of answers. :)

firstly, do we need excellent cap or gpa scores for entry to duke-nus? i mean, i still have time to pull up my cap but in a competitive faculty like mine i'm really quite doubtful as to how much further my cap can go. Any ex-nus students(prior to entering duke-nus) here who will be able to give me an idea?

next thing would be, is research work helpful? i mean, will the chances of entry to duke-nus be higher with research work?

also, would i be able to apply to duke after the third year instead of after completing my 4th year honours degree just so i can do medicine earlier? would the honours degree still make a difference if your cap/gpa is almost perfect at the end of year 3 already?

lastly, i read about the av. mcat scores of 29-30. did you guys manage to make it in with this av scores?

sorry for the many questions and thanks alot for helping me out. :)

hi, i can't answer all of your questions in terms of the NUS system. however, what I gathered at the interview day is that grades are important but what extracurricular activities you pursue and how they set you apart are essential. also, research is very very important given that they are trying to output "physician-scientists." different people seem to have listed varying amounts of research. mine was little stints in all different types of research, so i don't think you need to show one continuous project or anything - just a sincere commitment to and interest in research.

Hi, congrats to all who have gotten offers! Is anyone interested to sell/give away your MCAT books? Pls PM me. Thanks alot...

bioinformatics, your interview must be coming up very soon! good luck!!

hi, i can't answer all of your questions in terms of the NUS system. however, what I gathered at the interview day is that grades are important but what extracurricular activities you pursue and how they set you apart are essential. also, research is very very important given that they are trying to output "physician-scientists." different people seem to have listed varying amounts of research. mine was little stints in all different types of research, so i don't think you need to show one continuous project or anything - just a sincere commitment to and interest in research.

Thank you. Did you have a spectacular cap/gpa then? haha. :) so it must be first class honours.. :X

Hi all,

I'm finding out if anyone is selling yr MCAT study bks etc. Pls pm me! Thanks alot :)

Thank you. Did you have a spectacular cap/gpa then? haha. :) so it must be first class honours.. :X

hahaha well, "spectacular" is a subjective word... but no. However, I did have a legitimate explanation for my academic record. They seem to be very focused on what each individual brings to the class. Focus on what makes you a unique candidate, and you should be good to go :)

hahaha well, "spectacular" is a subjective word... but no. However, I did have a legitimate explanation for my academic record. They seem to be very focused on what each individual brings to the class. Focus on what makes you a unique candidate, and you should be good to go :)

haha. but if it's not good enough won't be shortlisted is it?:X well then, is work a legitimate explanation? HAHA. i've been working with my doc for bout 2 years already and more to go. cool. i can't wait. HAHA. are you in duke already?:)

sweetsecrets, what do you work as to aid your doctor? and what field of medicine are you in? when are you planning to take the MCAT?

Dearest BlackTalon,

This thread is dead silent without your input. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dearest BlackTalon,

This thread is dead silent without your input. :)

Haha, I guess I turned this thread into my own personal soap opera.

WILL I GET IN? WHAT IF I DON'T GET IN? Listen up all prospective medical students... Do NOT become as neurotic as I am! :laugh:

Anyway, I think most of the applicants are still waiting to receive their reply from Duke? Best of luck! They probably filled only 30-odd slots, judging from the Google Group and Facebook, so there is still hope!

BTW, what are you guys/gals doing to prep for med school? I think I will go on a long holiday and also catch up on my sleep... :D

Hey guys, i hope someone here will be able to help me :) I'm really hoping on getting into Duke-NUS next year or the year after that and I'm trying to decide between volunteer options. What would be better if you could choose only one? Volunteering at the emergency room of a leading government hospital or being a lab assistant at a leading private hospital?

Go for the research position. Personally I think the admissions committee looks very favourably upon research experience. Volunteer work is definitely important as well, but I would suggest committing to a long-term project instead of a one-off stint. So my vote goes to the lab assistant position if you are deciding what to do this summer. :)

Anyway BlackTalon, looking forward to seeing you when school starts! You were in my interview group. Haha.

Hey guys, i hope someone here will be able to help me :) I'm really hoping on getting into Duke-NUS next year or the year after that and I'm trying to decide between volunteer options. What would be better if you could choose only one? Volunteering at the emergency room of a leading government hospital or being a lab assistant at a leading private hospital?

i think it will really depend on the positions themselves as well as your previous experience. both types of experiences are essential, but only if they will actually be beneficial. how hands on will the volunteer position be? if theyre just going to have you cart files or test results, etc around then it probably won't help you as much as a really solid research project. that being said, if you have a lot of research experience you can probably play up the volunteer experience. since its a physician-scientist they are trying to create, the research is important, but if you don't have a lot of experience working with patients or the floor of the hospital setting then the volunteering might be beneficial to support the physician side.

feel free to pass on some details :)

Go for the research position. Personally I think the admissions committee looks very favourably upon research experience. Volunteer work is definitely important as well, but I would suggest committing to a long-term project instead of a one-off stint. So my vote goes to the lab assistant position if you are deciding what to do this summer. :)

Anyway BlackTalon, looking forward to seeing you when school starts! You were in my interview group. Haha.

Thanks so much!Congragulations on getting in!!

UGH, it's so unfair! Everyone knows who I am, but I can't match your online nicknames to your faces! :p But looking forward to meeting you guys when school starts... or even sooner, if they organise some sort of gathering... :laugh:

Could you provide more details about yourself? Ie. undergraduate course, amount of research done, etc.

If you are studying in Singapore, the local universities require at least a sem of research, so that already gives you some research exposure.

IMO, shadowing a doc around will be more advantageous to you. My research experience was attained during my undergrad, and I didn't volunteer for research positions elsewhere. But then again, I started interning at a research lab in my second year. I doubt they will expect you to have publications or extensive research experience since you are applying right after your undergrad. As long as you can demonstrate an interest in research, and adequate research aptitude (ie. don't just follow your supervisor blindly. Understand what you are doing, and make decisions for yourself), you should be fine in the research area.

As for shadowing, you could apply to the local government hospitals. If possible, apply to a few departments, and in different hospitals. For me, I applied to Singapore General Hospital, in three departments: Gastroenterology (which is part of internal medicine), General Surgery (part of Surgery, of course), and Accident and Emergency (part of Emergency Medicine). So I get a wide perspective of the medicine field.

Each attachment was 2 weeks, which is ideal. Any longer, you get bored because you are basically standing and watching. You can't have any hands-on experience (safety issues) and you won't understand the bulk of what's going on without medical training. However, any shorter and you won't give the team time to know you... it takes some time for them to open up to you. Personally, I feel this attachment played a large role in my decision to go into medicine. Reality as a doctor is so different from what most of us imagined. However, after following a doc around for 6 weeks and getting a glimpse into what being a doctor is really like, I found that I was still interested in medicine, and that was a big personal confirmation. Of course, it helps you show the admissions committee that you understand what you are getting into, and this will give u a big edge in your app.

A few parting notes. I was attached to doctors at many levels, from senior consultant, down to medical student. This broadens the experience. Second, you can't really choose your attachment dates and duration. You will give a period that you are free, and your choice of department, and they will try to match you. This means that you might have large blocks of free time in between, and you should plan to spend this time fruitfully (eg. research, or other volunteering, etc.).

Hope this helps... ;)

hmmm I wonder who is Blacktalon? :laugh: I guess I will find out soon enough ( 3 more months....)

To cclaire, assuming your name is claire,

The posts given above are good advice.

I just want to add, although these are valuable experiences (to volunteer at a hospital and to work in a lab); they should not be view as something to "check" off a list on your path to medicine.

Don't mean any offence, I have seen so many people doing this. These activities take a lot of work and dedication but it is worth it (depending how interested you are) !

I agree that it makes you think if the environment is suitable for you but in my opinion, make time to volunteer not only in the hospital or the lab but elsewhere in your community where you can "shine" and get involve in a project/work that you find interesting. Try to stand out! :)

For example, not only that I worked in 2 different labs and volunteered at several hospitals, but some of my best experiences came from volunteering and working at a summer camp for ~ 6 years at my local museum with kids. You can learn a lot from them! My interpersonal skills and problem solving skills improved and interestingly I learned I could teach kids how to model clay and tell stories. This made me think whether pediatrics research was for me! ;)

I believe Duke NUS is interested in how these experiences shape your knowledge of the field of medicine and how can you apply what you learn to advance the field (Hence their slogan: pioneers). I guess what I am trying to say is : all of your experiences are valuable; but the lessons you learn from them are the most important!

hmmm I wonder who is Blacktalon? :laugh: I guess I will find out soon enough ( 3 more months....)

To cclaire, assuming your name is claire,

The posts given above are good advice.

I just want to add, although these are valuable experiences (to volunteer at a hospital and to work in a lab); they should not be view as something to "check" off a list on your path to medicine.

Don't mean any offence, I have seen so many people doing this. These activities take a lot of work and dedication but it is worth it (depending how interested you are) !

I agree that it makes you think if the environment is suitable for you but in my opinion, make time to volunteer not only in the hospital or the lab but elsewhere in your community where you can "shine" and get involve in a project/work that you find interesting. Try to stand out! :)

For example, not only that I worked in 2 different labs and volunteered at several hospitals, but some of my best experiences came from volunteering and working at a summer camp for ~ 6 years at my local museum with kids. You can learn a lot from them! My interpersonal skills and problem solving skills improved and interestingly I learned I could teach kids how to model clay and tell stories. This made me think whether pediatrics research was for me! ;)

I believe Duke NUS is interested in how these experiences shape your knowledge of the field of medicine and how can you apply what you learn to advance the field (Hence their slogan: pioneers). I guess what I am trying to say is : all of your experiences are valuable; but the lessons you learn from them are the most important!

FINALLY!!! Someone who doesn't know who I am! I think I'm in love! :love: :laugh:

Agree with everything above. I met a YLL med school applicant in SGH. He just stayed for two days, and told me that he just wanted to tell the interviewers that he did an attachment. IMO that is very poor attitude. The attachment is for yourself, to reaffirm your interest in medicine. If you succeed in this, the adcom will see it in the way you present yourself and your interest, so you don't really have to do it for them!

As I mentioned, you will have large blocks of empty time (I had 3 weeks between each attachment). As Onestepatatime mentioned, you could use this time for voluntary work, as they are more flexible with you having to leave occasionally for your attachment.

PM me who you are so I can finally gain back my sanity :D.

hmmmm are you on the facebook group? :p

FINALLY!!! Someone who doesn't know who I am! I think I'm in love! :love: :laugh:

Agree with everything above. I met a YLL med school applicant in SGH. He just stayed for two days, and told me that he just wanted to tell the interviewers that he did an attachment. IMO that is very poor attitude. The attachment is for yourself, to reaffirm your interest in medicine. If you succeed in this, the adcom will see it in the way you present yourself and your interest, so you don't really have to do it for them!

As I mentioned, you will have large blocks of empty time (I had 3 weeks between each attachment). As Onestepatatime mentioned, you could use this time for voluntary work, as they are more flexible with you having to leave occasionally for your attachment.

Personally, for my case, either outcomes will be positive. If rejected, I will be looking forward to beach life at Brisbane (Uni of Queensland). There's definitely a reason why Australia ranks above Singapore in terms of quality of life.

Yes, I agree with you, Australia has better quality of life compared to SG. Having been living in SG for 4 years, it's just to hectic, everyone competes, even for a seat to eat in cafetaria during lunch hours. I used to work in France too, the researchers there couldn't believe in sg we actually work past 8 pm and on Sat - Sundays too! =S

Anyway, whatever the outcome is, all the best for you!

Best wishes,

I think as a doctor/med student, you can be fairly certain that you're not going to have a quality of life (or a life, for that matter) regardless of where you go. At least not for a while.

I hope I don't get flamed for this. Just kidding around, dudes.

sweetsecrets, what do you work as to aid your doctor? and what field of medicine are you in? when are you planning to take the MCAT?

hey, so sorry bout' the late reply. i'm a clinic assistant working for my family doctor. i help out in suturing process, learn bout clinical signs etc and similarly in NUH A&E when i go for attachments as well(whenever i get a chance to go cause i like watching how the doctors work around). i'm in pharmacy currently. planning to take my mcat next year onwards and choose the best score out of the few i take. any mcat books to spare? haha. :) are you guys actually part of the facebook duke-nus gms prospective students? or you guys are in duke already? :)

anyway blacktalon, how did you apply for shadowing to other depts? i thought such requests are frequently ignored unless you liaise with the doctor beforehand already, ie you need to know some doctor by chance. The only reason why i got to do the NUH A&E is because that's my doctor's friend. Then i'm quite worried i can't get attachments at NUH A&E anymore cause i'm an undergraduate already. Apparently i was told that's only for post A'level students though i managed to continue going for another 3 day attachment just before school started, even though i wasn't shortlisted by medicine. is SGH the only hospital that offers 2 weeks shadowing? Cause it's only 3 days in NUH. :X let me know yah? cause if possible i might get to do it this summer break. thanks so much!

Last edited:
I think as a doctor/med student, you can be fairly certain that you're not going to have a quality of life (or a life, for that matter) regardless of where you go. At least not for a while.

I hope I don't get flamed for this. Just kidding around, dudes.

Why should you be flamed? That is a fact of a med student's/doc's life! :laugh:

hey, so sorry bout' the late reply. i'm a clinic assistant working for my family doctor. i help out in suturing process, learn bout clinical signs etc and similarly in NUH A&E when i go for attachments as well(whenever i get a chance to go cause i like watching how the doctors work around). i'm in pharmacy currently. planning to take my mcat next year onwards and choose the best score out of the few i take. any mcat books to spare? haha. :) are you guys actually part of the facebook duke-nus gms prospective students? or you guys are in duke already? :)

WOw, looks like your supervisor is willing to let you have hands-on experience! That is very valuable, IMO. I doubt you will get that in a hospital attachment. You have decided on this route quite early, and seem to have the relevant experience to make an informed decision, and have already some experience under your belt. That's great!

anyway blacktalon, how did you apply for shadowing to other depts? i thought such requests are frequently ignored unless you liaise with the doctor beforehand already, ie you need to know some doctor by chance. The only reason why i got to do the NUH A&E is because that's my doctor's friend. Then i'm quite worried i can't get attachments at NUH A&E anymore cause i'm an undergraduate already. Apparently i was told that's only for post A'level students though i managed to continue going for another 3 day attachment just before school started, even though i wasn't shortlisted by medicine. is SGH the only hospital that offers 2 weeks shadowing? Cause it's only 3 days in NUH. :X let me know yah? cause if possible i might get to do it this summer break. thanks so much!

SGH has a system in place. It caters to A'level students, as well as university undergrads. Some courses require an "industrial attachment" and students do get posted to hospitals, though in a more administrative role. They are still considered attachment students. YOu can try contacting Ms. Sandra Subner at 63266775. She is a senior manager at SGH medical board, and was the person I first contacted to apply for the attachment.

Basically, you fill up a form, and state the period in which you are available, and your preference of dept. The person who organized the attachment would have to source the supervisor and attachment period for you. In my case, I got 2 weeks each. Your mileage may vary. Ie. it is not a guaranteed 2 wk attachment.

Good luck in your application! You sound like a competitive candidate! PM me if you want any further info.

WOw, looks like your supervisor is willing to let you have hands-on experience! That is very valuable, IMO. I doubt you will get that in a hospital attachment. You have decided on this route quite early, and seem to have the relevant experience to make an informed decision, and have already some experience under your belt. That's great!

SGH has a system in place. It caters to A'level students, as well as university undergrads. Some courses require an "industrial attachment" and students do get posted to hospitals, though in a more administrative role. They are still considered attachment students. YOu can try contacting Ms. Sandra Subner at 63266775. She is a senior manager at SGH medical board, and was the person I first contacted to apply for the attachment.

Basically, you fill up a form, and state the period in which you are available, and your preference of dept. The person who organized the attachment would have to source the supervisor and attachment period for you. In my case, I got 2 weeks each. Your mileage may vary. Ie. it is not a guaranteed 2 wk attachment.

Good luck in your application! You sound like a competitive candidate! PM me if you want any further info.

well thanks alot! i PM-ed you already. :)

any idea how much holiday we get and when that is?

i can only find a google group for the class of 2011... are you referring to that one?

Hey everyone it's been a while since I last posted, just wanna let you guys know that I received my rejection letter from Duke-NUS today, after waiting for an outcome for nearly 5 months since my interview in Dec. Disappointed as I may be, this news has placed a closure to the constant thought " Will I get in, will I not?" persisting in my head as aptly described previously by our dear friend, resident poster Blacktalon :D To be fair, I think blacktalon has shared a lot of helpful information with the rest of us and I do hope the rest appreciate this kind gesture as much as I do, thanks so much blacktalon :)

Certainly there are a number of nice people in this forum and I had a chance to talk to some of the regulars in this forum like onestep and channer earlier in the application season and I am really thankful and appreciative of the encouragement and advice given to me. After going through this entire application process, I realised my application was far from impressive and there are a number of aspects which I would need to improve on in order to present a much stronger case for acceptance into the school. Nonetheless, I am grateful to be given the chance to interview this cycle, for the opportunity to meet the faculty and current students reaffirmed my decision of applying to the school right from the start.

Having said all that,this rejection will not deter me from losing faith in my passion for medicine and reapplying for the 2010 intake. I will be graduating soon and I am planning to be involved in a number of non-academic stuff that I always wanted to do but did not have the time for like sports officiating. At the same time, I would like to stay active in the community and also try out other forms of research besides those of the basic science nature. Once again, I congratulate the applicants who have received their acceptances and will be matriculating this July, wish you guys all the best and have a smashing time at the new campus :)

Hey dukegms, while i am grieved that you are unable to fulfill your wish this time, i cannot help but be lifted up by your mature and positive post. I wish you all the best in your future achievements and next application.

You deserve an applause.

Hey everyone it's been a while since I last posted, just wanna let you guys know that I received my rejection letter from Duke-NUS today, after waiting for an outcome for nearly 5 months since my interview in Dec. Disappointed as I may be, this news has placed a closure to the constant thought " Will I get in, will I not?" persisting in my head as aptly described previously by our dear friend, resident poster Blacktalon :D To be fair, I think blacktalon has shared a lot of helpful information with the rest of us and I do hope the rest appreciate this kind gesture as much as I do, thanks so much blacktalon :)

Certainly there are a number of nice people in this forum and I had a chance to talk to some of the regulars in this forum like onestep and channer earlier in the application season and I am really thankful and appreciative of the encouragement and advice given to me. After going through this entire application process, I realised my application was far from impressive and there are a number of aspects which I would need to improve on in order to present a much stronger case for acceptance into the school. Nonetheless, I am grateful to be given the chance to interview this cycle, for the opportunity to meet the faculty and current students reaffirmed my decision of applying to the school right from the start.

Having said all that,this rejection will not deter me from losing faith in my passion for medicine and reapplying for the 2010 intake. I will be graduating soon and I am planning to be involved in a number of non-academic stuff that I always wanted to do but did not have the time for like sports officiating. At the same time, I would like to stay active in the community and also try out other forms of research besides those of the basic science nature. Once again, I congratulate the applicants who have received their acceptances and will be matriculating this July, wish you guys all the best and have a smashing time at the new campus :)

Hi dukegms,

I'm both sorry and happy that you were rejected. Sorry, because you did not get in this year, but happy, because I believe this rejection has helped you strengthen your passion and conviction to study medicine. I know you are probably very disappointed with the news, but do remember that medicine is a neverending journey, with many routes you can take. You may be shut off from this one temporarily, but as long as your conviction and direction stay strong, you will try again next year, or even take a different route. You never know, that other road may turn out to be more scenic and fulfilling, and we will all envy you in the years to come!

You already have the excellent attitude of treating this "set-back" as an opportunity. Perhaps you could write to the admissions committee to ask in which parts of your application they think you should improve on, or better still, make an appointment with Dr. Stenberg. Take their advice, and then reapply next year. The conviction and passion you display will be unmistakeable then! Best of luck! :luck:

Hi, everybody, I'm taking MCAT in Singapore on August. Can anybody sell me his/her reference materials? Thanks a lot!

This thread is much quieter than last year! Anyone received anything last week? Acceptances, rejections, waitlists? Everyone was supposed to know their status by end april.. I'm still waitin on mine!

Thank God! I'll be joining you guys in class of 2013!! :) :D :laugh: :soexcited:

Just received my offer letter today, almost a month after my interview hehehe. Now I can really live my signature here.

An offer for those of you who are looking for MCAT book. I'm giving away my third hand, 2007-2008 Kaplan book, complete with coffee stain and pencil scribbles to whoever PM me first.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Thank God! I'll be joining you guys in class of 2013!! :) :D :laugh: :soexcited:

Just received my offer letter today, almost a month after my interview hehehe. Now I can really live my signature here.

An offer for those of you who are looking for MCAT book. I'm giving away my third hand, 2007-2008 Kaplan book, complete with coffee stain and pencil scribbles to whoever PM me first.

Congrats Bioinformatics!!! See you in Singapore!:thumbup:

This thread is much quieter than last year! Anyone received anything last week? Acceptances, rejections, waitlists? Everyone was supposed to know their status by end april.. I'm still waitin on mine!

Hey Whiteprincess, don't give up hope yet. when I applied last year, I didn't hear anything in April... so I emailed them in May and found out I was put on the waiting list. So I would definitely contact Admissions if I were you. Hope this helps, and good luck!:xf:

congrats!! don't forget to join the facebook group, see you in s'pore! :D

Hey Whiteprincess, don't give up hope yet. when I applied last year, I didn't hear anything in April... so I emailed them in May and found out I was put on the waiting list. So I would definitely contact Admissions if I were you. Hope this helps, and good luck!:xf:

I called Tammie already, and apparently there are at least 15-20 more acceptances to be given out and she said that everyone would get their status by 15 May at the very latest. Her reason was that the Duke-NUS people wanted to time it as per the US of A. She explained that from now on, this would be the protocol, unlike the past 2 years.

So, free birdy, what's your status now? Accepted?!

I called Tammie already, and apparently there are at least 15-20 more acceptances to be given out and she said that everyone would get their status by 15 May at the very latest. Her reason was that the Duke-NUS people wanted to time it as per the US of A. She explained that from now on, this would be the protocol, unlike the past 2 years.

So, free birdy, what's your status now? Accepted?!

Ha! free birdy.... nice one.
Yeah, I'll be joining Duke-NUS this fall. I'm really grateful for the opportunity. There are 15-20 more acceptances going out? So you still have hope! perhaps we'll meet in Singapore this year.:D

congratulations Bioinformatics :thumbup:. can i just ask did you receive an email or just the hard copy letter? Thanks.

For me it seems its one more week of waiting sighz.

Hey everyone,

I am really lucky to have found this forum. I am intending to apply to duke-gms for the 2010 intake and would like to ask you guys a few questions.

I understand that hospital attachments, research experience and community service are a few criteria that the admission committee looks out for when making admission decisions. I have worked at a family clinic for about 6 months and have gone for a few days of attachment at an ENT clinic in a hospital. I also have a few research attachments during my undergraduate years. For community service, I volunteer with this elderly befrienders group fortnightly. My grades are reasonably good as well.

But I am not confident of performing during the interview. And I am not sure how to relate these experiences to my passion to pursue a career in medicine. Any advice on this? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

congratulations Bioinformatics :thumbup:. can i just ask did you receive an email or just the hard copy letter? Thanks.

For me it seems its one more week of waiting sighz.

Hi biomd, thanks. I got the email on Friday afternoon. Still waiting for the hardcopy and the financial aid now. Good luck for you, hope you'll hear the good news soon.

Hey everyone,

I am really lucky to have found this forum. I am intending to apply to duke-gms for the 2010 intake and would like to ask you guys a few questions.

I understand that hospital attachments, research experience and community service are a few criteria that the admission committee looks out for when making admission decisions. I have worked at a family clinic for about 6 months and have gone for a few days of attachment at an ENT clinic in a hospital. I also have a few research attachments during my undergraduate years. For community service, I volunteer with this elderly befrienders group fortnightly. My grades are reasonably good as well.

But I am not confident of performing during the interview. And I am not sure how to relate these experiences to my passion to pursue a career in medicine. Any advice on this? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi mypassion, from the looks of it you already have a good background to get in. Mine was not as whole-rounded as yours.

Just try to relax during interview and regard it as a chat. If they invite you that means they think that you are good enough to get in. It's your time to show them that they are right.

You can start with why did you choose to do all of those things, what have you learned from doing them, any specific experience that really cemented your passion to become a doc, and how would it all make you become a better doc. If you can give a good answer for all that they will want you in the class. Good luck.

By the way to all forumers, my MCAT book has been reserved. Thanks for looking. Anyway, Duke-NUS has a few copies available in the school if you want to borrow them.

I always thought that the happiest day of my life would be the day my husband-to-be kneels down in front of adoring friends and family, and pulls out a blue box from his coat pocket.

Now, I am sure that the day Duke-NUS sends me an acceptance letter would supercede that.

I will henceforth take BlackTalon's place in this forum.

WILL I GET IN OR WILL I NOT ??????

Hey whiteprincess and everyone else waiting to hear from Duke-NUS. I just wanted to let you guys know that I just withdrew from my position in this year's intake. I hope that one of you will get it. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear some news :thumbup:.

Status
Not open for further replies.