Buffalo vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRock19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing some updated opinions of University at Buffalo vs New York Medical College (last thread I found was ~'09). I am having difficulty between the two. I loved the atmosphere at Buffalo more so than the one at NYMC but am unsure about residency match between the two and any other extraneous factors. I'm not considering cost as a factor at the moment (I am, but trying to keep that out of the equation until the end). Any opinions on either from prospective/current students?

Members don't see this ad.

nyc seems like a more pleasant place to spend 4 years in than upstate ny

Buffalo has more research opportunities (NYMC is not a research-focused institution) which would be helpful if you later chose to go into academic medicine or a competitive speciality and you said you liked the vibe at Buffalo more (NYMC struck me as dreary; I've never been to Buffalo). I'm not sure what the grading system is at Buff, but I know NYMC is basically graded (something like honors, high pass, pass, fail). There's no discernible difference in prestige or ranking. I know you said you weren't considering cost, but it sounds like you're in-state which makes Buffalo a lot cheaper than NYMC. I feel like Buffalo would be the move unless there's someone/something really important to you in Westchester (like a spouse or close family).

Match lists vary every year and it's hard to compare Buffalo and NYMC's match lists. NYMC is a private school, so it has students from all over the place and so their match list reflects that in geography as well as competitiveness. Buffalo is public, so it has a lot of NY residents and probs a good chunk of Western NY residents who want to stay, so I imagine their match list reflects that.