CUSM VS NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheeeeesh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to two medical schools I am currently deciding between. These are two very different schools that appeal to me for different reasons, and I know ill have to be the one to make the decision based on whats most important to me but I would love some feedback and insight into each school and how it may affect me long term.

CUSM

Pros
1. An hour away from home. My mom is sick and being close to her would mean the world to me
2. I'm a little scared of being away from my friends. They're my main support system and I give a lot of credit to them for my sanity. Being so close to home means I could see them on the weekends.

Cons
1. Most obvious- this is a new school. No graduated class so no one has matched yet and I can't see how well people have done. I'm terribly scared to go somewhere where I may be limited in my future career because the specialties I consider myself interested in are all highly competitive. I don't want to limit myself
2. From what I could tell at interview day, there weren't too many research opportunities. Research is really important to me because im interested in it and also because it seems to be a key part of residency apps.
3. In riverside.. kinda in the middle of nowhere. Hate the immediate area.
4. This is dumb but I guess their commit to enroll deadline is in 2 weeks ??? That would mean I have to take myself off the waitlist for Stanford and UCSD, which are my top schools.

NYMC

Pros
1. Such an amazing sense of community I got from interviewing there. Really everyone seemed like family and it seems like people are for the most part happy there.
2. I love how the school has a Jewish vibe to it. I grew up Jewish and actually would love to be in an atmosphere that supports Jews and gives off for holidays like they do.
3. Compared to CUSM, felt like there'd be lot more opportunities to do research there and really get involved.
4. This is an established school, and while its not even a top 50 school, I'd feel more confident that I would get where I would want to go after medical school if I were to go here.

Cons
1. This is huge for me. I'd be 3000 miles away from my mom. I dont want to have regrets later. She's gone through such a difficult time already and shes been praying everyday to have me close by. It's too hard to imagine to leave her.
2. No support system out in New York. I'd be forced to make new friends which would be great but from experience, I have had a hard time with this.
3. In Valhalla, a bit of a drive from the city. I'm a city boy myself having grown up in LA and I worry how I'd adapt to a less exciting and busy area to live in. I guess some students do their rotations 3rd and 4th year in the city which would be really nice.

I want to say I recognize that the main reasons I want to go to CUSM are personal while the main reasons I want to go to NYMC are for my professional future. So I know ultimately I'll have to decide myself which is more important to me. I really am coming on here to see if anyone has gone thru anything similar in making their decision or if you have any school-specific insight (for or against) to enlighten my decision.

Members don't see this ad.