2019-2020 Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First time applicant, interviewed March 11. Was told by one of my interviewers (the former dean of admissions) I would hear back by that Friday (March 13). COVID-19 significantly ramped up the next day or two so I understand there is some delay, but in general how long did it take to receive your outcomes?

I interviewed 2/14, thought I would hear by that Friday, but didn’t hear until the last Friday of the month (as some people earlier in the thread suggested) so check this upcoming Friday!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
would anyone mind sharing their experience regarding the virtual interview? is there still a "written" prompt section?

Just got the R after sending in 2 substantial updates lol...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
got that pre ii r finally closure with the ny schoolss

Anyone hear anything? Or know if they are still on track with releasing A/waitlists due to the circumstances

Anyone hear anything? Or know if they are still on track with releasing A/waitlists due to the circumstances
Also wondering this. Did anyone who interviewed this week hear anything?

Interviewed this week. Super short interview (limited to 35mins "to be fair") with only one person with no written portion. Haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm not really expecting to hear anything back this quick. COVID-19 is really making things interesting for everyone. Past years say that interviews after a certain date go straight to waitlist anyway.

Does anyone know when we’ll start seeing more waitlist movement?

Reactions: 3 users
Have any of you guys that have interviewed been asked about COVID-19?

I hope you all achieve your dreams. Just had my interview!

Also there’s a class of 2024 page on Facebook now !

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the 8th is the last day of interviews or is it the 15th?

1. When I interviewed the financial aid person gave the example that if your permanent address was somewhere in NY but you went to school out of state and you signed a lease at a house/apartment off campus and lived there for 1 year you will be considered out of state and have to pay out of state tuition for the first year.

2. The interview day at UB is very relaxing! The only time I got nervous was the first time my name was called but other than that I felt calm throughout the entire day. My first interview was with a professor and was more of a formal interview asking me questions about my application and one ethical question but was still very easy and straightforward! My second interview was with a M2 and it was like talking to a friend and didn’t even feel like an interview! They just want to get to know you beyond what they can read on paper and are not trying to intimidate you or trip you up at all. Also they give you a writing prompt prior to your interviews and give you 10 minutes to answer it but I was never asked about it in my interviews so I think it may come into play when they re-review your app? But I really don’t know lol

I'll just chime in, they give you a questionnaire to assess if you qualify. Things like what state is your license, what state are you registered to vote, did you go to a NY high school, etc. However, if you have extenuated circumstances it doesn't hurt to write a letter to the financial aid offices. I had to do that for my first year and was approved for in-state tuition. If they still deny you, it only takes one year to qualify for in-state tuition. So at most you would pay one year out of state, and 3 years in-state tuition. Any other questions, let me know.

Virtual Interviewers: was anyone given a timeline for when we would hear back?

Has anyone received financial aid from here?
No but I reached out yesterday and they said the official offer should be coming soon. They also said if you filled out FAFSA you’re guaranteed a 40,500/year Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan

It was my understanding that UB has a lot of waitlist movement. When does the waitlist movement typically begin?

Has anyone tried reaching out to see where they are on the waitlist?

How strict is this April 15 thing because we haven’t gotten our financial aid?

How strict is this April 15 thing because we haven’t gotten our financial aid?
I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know when we will be getting our financial aid packages? Has anyone gotten theirs?

So I emailed Rosso asking about financial aid after they sent out that email about being considerate to people on the waitlist. I got two different responses. The director of admissions told me they “hope to begin making offers in early May. Until then, I would ask that you do not “plan to enroll” at any school unless you are ready to withdraw from all others to which you have paid a deposit.”

Then I got a response from their financial aid advisor saying “I was told the financial aid notification letter will be sent to medical students the beginning of this week. I can confirm that by completing the 20-21 FAFSA application, all medical students matriculated at an accredited medical college will be awarded 40,500 of graduate Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.”

So I emailed Rosso asking about financial aid after they sent out that email about being considerate to people on the waitlist. I got two different responses. The director of admissions told me they “hope to begin making offers in early May. Until then, I would ask that you do not “plan to enroll” at any school unless you are ready to withdraw from all others to which you have paid a deposit.”

Then I got a response from their financial aid advisor saying “I was told the financial aid notification letter will be sent to medical students the beginning of this week. I can confirm that by completing the 20-21 FAFSA application, all medical students matriculated at an accredited medical college will be awarded 40,500 of graduate Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.”
Thank you, I have till April 30 to make a decision and not lose my deposit from other schools. Buffalo is my first choice, however, I need to finalize my decision(s) and a financial aid package will help me confidently do that

Has anyone gotten word about interview decisions so far? Interviewed March 11 and still radio silence...

Has anyone gotten word about interview decisions so far? Interviewed March 11 and still radio silence...
same boat here. Dr. Severin even told me when he interviewed me that we would hear back by Friday (the 13th of March lol). Obviously COVID got really crazy that week so I understand the delay. Emailed Mr. Rosso in late March to find out about the timeline. He referred me to Dr. Marshall who said their timeline is 2-3 weeks so I felt stupid asking. But now its more than 3 weeks since that email.

same boat here. Dr. Severin even told me when he interviewed me that we would hear back by Friday (the 13th of March lol). Obviously COVID got really crazy that week so I understand the delay. Emailed Mr. Rosso in late March to find out about the timeline. He referred me to Dr. Marshall who said their timeline is 2-3 weeks so I felt stupid asking. But now its more than 3 weeks since that email.
The wait is really messing with me too

l dont know how they can send out everyones decisions for a month+ before may comes along. maybe l'm just feeding into my anxiety though

I interviewed March 30th and have not heard anything either.

You’ll probably hear on 4/30 along with people that got in from the wait list.

It might be helpful, so on 4/20 accepted students received an email requesting those who have already “Planned to Enroll” at another school using the AAMC tool to withdrawal their acceptances so the school can send acceptance to the WL. Albeit we’re already only 3 days away from April 30th anyways but hang in there WL friends! I hope to meet you soon! Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be helpful, so on 4/20 accepted students received an email requesting those who have already “Planned to Enroll” at another school using the AAMC tool to withdrawal their acceptances so the school can send acceptance to the WL. Albeit we’re already only 3 days away from April 30th anyways but hang in there WL friends! I hope to meet you soon! Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, they said about 30 students have selected plan to enroll at other places. I hate holding onto a spot but need to know what the financial aid/scholarship package is so it’s very frustrating they’re taking so long.

Yea, they said about 30 students have selected plan to enroll at other places. I hate holding onto a spot but need to know what the financial aid/scholarship package is so it’s very frustrating they’re taking so long.
I reached out about financial aid and received this response from Ms. Rice
"Congratulations and thank you for reaching. The University appreciates your patience. New medical student financial aid notification letters will be coming down the pike soon. I can confirm that by completing the 20-21 FAFSA application, you will be automatically awarded 40,500 in the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan for the academic year. This is the standard federal loan amount all medical student receive when entering an accredited medical school. I hope this information assists you in your determination."
I don't know if this will help you, but also given that its a SUNY school typically they don't offer much in scholarships/grants.

Just got an email saying my financial aid award is up

So what happens if I haven't heard anything at all going into April 30? Interviewed March 11 and haven't been accepted, WL, or rejected.

So what happens if I haven't heard anything at all going into April 30? Interviewed March 11 and haven't been accepted, WL, or rejected.
I'm in the same boat. Asked my premed advisor today and she said technically they do not have to tell you by April 30th. Hoping we hear tomorrow, though!

I'm in the same boat. Asked my premed advisor today and she said technically they do not have to tell you by April 30th. Hoping we hear tomorrow, though!
I interviewed on March 31st and still haven't heard anything about being accepted/waitlisted/ or rejected either.