A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got put on the alternate list this morning; any idea how fluid that list is?

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my acceptance, best of luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year we only got a certain number of tickets per student, so we made a google doc that we shared with each other on the Facebook group to list how many extra tickets people had and how many tickets people still needed, and we messaged each other to exchange extra tickets among ourselves. If I remember right, we had left over tickets as a class at the end of the day so it worked out.

We weren't able to get extra tickets from the administration FYI, but the google doc worked pretty well.

Thank you, @rosen855 !! Can you post/start the google doc for the new class 2021? I think the template you guys used will be very helpful to kickstart the Xchange.

Current student here, if there are any questions or whatever I can try to answer them.

II this morning, complete sometime Aug.

Will be withdrawing for one of you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
When you receive an email from "Admissions AZ" with an attachment, but see that's it's only an open house invitation....

j5uFcwd.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Officially withdrew my acceptance here yesterday! Good luck to everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete in November, and haven't heard a thing since then.

just got a II

not sure if i'll be withdrawing or attending

can anyone elaborate on what they liked most about ATSU over other DO schools?

just got a II

There may be more detailed answers in other threads, but here is my take as a current first year. (Also, if you come to the interview, they do a good job on representing what the school will be like during that day and will give you more info then)

The biggest thing for me was the focus on working with underserved populations. The school writes that into the mission of the school, so many of the aspects of its curriculum are geared towards giving students extra experience in that setting. For example, most your primary care rotations are all done in underserved areas at community health centers. This is not the case at most other medical schools, where you would only get this experience from elective rotations or volunteering.

Another thing I liked was that the students here are very helpful to each other. Since we break up into different CHCs during your 2-4 years, people have to be good at working in small groups and have a collaborative attitude instead of a competitive one. That is something that is very apparent to me in the culture of the school.

Also, you should be okay with moving after your first year. There are pros and cons to this. Pros are that you can see more of the country and get unique experience working with underserved. Cons are that during your second year you may not be around all of the friends you made in year one. Keep in mind that at most schools, your 3rd and 4th years are fairly independent anyways, so this mostly applies to second year where it is different.

Overall, I've loved it here, but I know each person may have different preferences. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
I haven't received any instructions for the email. Have you?

I just received the e-mail this morning! My username is several random letters and different numbers... I'm wondering if there is any particular way to change it? I would rather have my name on there instead of a code. :oops:

I just received the e-mail this morning! My username is several random letters and different numbers... I'm wondering if there is any particular way to change it? I would rather have my name on there instead of a code. :oops:
Yeah!! I got mine too and the username is a code. I'm hoping they will change this later! Kind of confused about the Gmail/mail thing. I suppose we use our Gmail account then..

Yeah!! I got mine too and the username is a code. I'm hoping they will change this later! Kind of confused about the Gmail/mail thing. I suppose we use our Gmail account then..

Cool - I would be lying if a small part of me thought that I was the only one who got assigned to a code and other students had their names. XD

just got a II

When were you complete? I've been complete since oct and nothing but silence so far.

Anyone have recommendations for interview day? (Traveling/hotel/interview prep tips)

Anyone have recommendations for interview day? (Traveling/hotel/interview prep tips)

When is your interview? I took a shuttle from the Phoenix airport to Mesa, and it costed me about $20 one way. Also, I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites nearby the school. They have shuttles to and from the school - you just have to task! The staff there was very friendly. As for interview prep tips, just be yourself. I really enjoyed my experience in Mesa. Good luck!

Does anyone know if they're receptive to calls for app status check? I've been complete since 10/25 and heard nothing yet at all.

Anyone from the 1/20 interview group hear what date we will have a decision by?

Also does anyone know if we get to choose our CHC location before putting the deposit down? I'd like to know where I'll be for the next 3 years before committing

Also does anyone know if we get to choose our CHC location before putting the deposit down? I'd like to know where I'll be for the next 3 years before committing
You can choose your CHCs, but from what I remember, you have to put in a deposit at the same time in order to reserve your location.

You can choose your CHCs, but from what I remember, you have to put in a deposit at the same time in order to reserve your location.
So just to clarify..... I will be able to see what locations are available prior to putting my deposit down? For instance, if all the west coast rotations are taken up, I will be able see that before I pay. I'd choose a different school in my area rather then risk spending 3 years in Ohio, Brooklyn, etc.

So just to clarify..... I will be able to see what locations are available prior to putting my deposit down? For instance, if all the west coast rotations are taken up, I will be able see that before I pay. I'd choose a different school in my area rather then risk spending 3 years in Ohio, Brooklyn, etc.
Just call the admissions to clarify and let us know

Anyone figure out how to change their ATSU email from the one they generated for us?

Anyone that interviewed here 1/20 get a survey email yet?

I'm a second year student here and please let me know if you have any questions. :hello:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a second year student here and please let me know if you have any questions. :hello:

One question I had was adjusting to moving to a CHC. I presume most people made a lot of friends their 1st year at ATSU, is it tough to move away from them to a CHC somewhere else? I guess ~10 other students go to the CHC with you from your class but is it tough meeting new people and making friends after you've moved?

One question I had was adjusting to moving to a CHC. I presume most people made a lot of friends their 1st year at ATSU, is it tough to move away from them to a CHC somewhere else? I guess ~10 other students go to the CHC with you from your class but is it tough meeting new people and making friends after you've moved?

Good question, I was wondering about this too.

For me, I became very close with those in my CHC during first year and now in second year it's like having a family. I'm so thankful there is such a great group dynamic.

I'm not sure tbh when did you submit your secondary?
11/21. From what I'm reading on this thread, it sounds like they take around two to three months before getting back to their applicants, so I do not want to call prematurely.

11/21. From what I'm reading on this thread, it sounds like they take around two to three months before getting back to their applicants, so I do not want to call prematurely.

Eh I'd call it's been a little over two months it can't hurt. Just don't call once a week haha

Is lecture/lab only held on monday during the first year? How many hours per week do we spend at the CHC during our second year, and how do they incorporate lab at the CHC?

ACCEPTED, interviewed 1/20