A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!

I went through this thread, but wanted some clarification on some things:
1) Which hotels did you guys stay in?
2) How many top choices do you get to pick for CHC? How long did it take to find out which CHC you got after you paid the deposit?
3) If you don't get your top choice, is there a way you can still get it if people end up withdrawing their seats come May?
4) Was the interview day stressful? Or more low key coffee shop vibe?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
II!

I went through this thread, but wanted some clarification on some things:
1) Which hotels did you guys stay in?
2) How many top choices do you get to pick for CHC? How long did it take to find out which CHC you got after you paid the deposit?
3) If you don't get your top choice, is there a way you can still get it if people end up withdrawing their seats come May?
4) Was the interview day stressful? Or more low key coffee shop vibe?

Thanks!
Congrats on that II!!

1) I stayed at the sleep inn, but there are very many different options that you can find on hotels.com or Expedia.
2) After paying the deposit, you will be able to rank all 10 CHC sites, and depending on the availability they will let you know within a week or 2.
3) Say if you do get your 2nd choice school, and later in the cycle, if someone drops out from your 1st choice, the school will give you that site, also depending on how many students chose that site who made the deposit before you. Kind of complicated but you can always call the admissions and clear that up with them.
4) Interview day was long but time goes by very fast. There are so many activities planned on the day of the interview, but it was very casual and fun!! Be prepared for standard patient encounters and small group activities.

Remember that just as much as we are trying to impress the adcoms, the school is also trying their best to showcase themselves so that you can make a sound decision at the end of the day. Good Luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
hi!
anyone care to elaborate about WHY they are withdrawing their acceptance to this school?? Other than "I got into a different school." Why did you not choose this school? And how do people who go here feel about the 3+1 curriculum?
Thank you!

hi!
anyone care to elaborate about WHY they are withdrawing their acceptance to this school?? Other than "I got into a different school." Why did you not choose this school? And how do people who go here feel about the 3+1 curriculum?
Thank you!
From what I've read on this thread, most students withdraw their acceptances because they prefer a traditional medical curriculum over moving to a clinic site located anywhere between California to South Carolina. Being a non-traditional, I prefer a 1+3 curriculum, because I'm personally going to med school so that I can work with patients, and the 1+3 model helps the students to initiate their direct patient contact starting year 2! A lot of students also dread studying by themselves without lectures and being "stuck" with a group of about 10 students starting year 2 to 4. But that is something very personal which students have to decide for themselves.

So to sum it all up, it comes down to if you can personally survive the 1+3 CHC model. Obviously, SOMA is looking for students who will serve as primary care physicians, so the curriculum, I believe, is designed to make great primary doctors. I chose SOMA over KCU because I personally believe that the 1+3 model is a great fit for me. Good Luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on that II!!

1) I stayed at the sleep inn, but there are very many different options that you can find on hotels.com or Expedia.
2) After paying the deposit, you will be able to rank all 10 CHC sites, and depending on the availability they will let you know within a week or 2.
3) Say if you do get your 2nd choice school, and later in the cycle, if someone drops out from your 1st choice, the school will give you that site, also depending on how many students chose that site who made the deposit before you. Kind of complicated but you can always call the admissions and clear that up with them.
4) Interview day was long but time goes by very fast. There are so many activities planned on the day of the interview, but it was very casual and fun!! Be prepared for standard patient encounters and small group activities.

Remember that just as much as we are trying to impress the adcoms, the school is also trying their best to showcase themselves so that you can make a sound decision at the end of the day. Good Luck :)

Thanks so much for the clarification. I have follow-up questions about the CHC. Anyone who has knowledge of this, please feel free to chime in as well..pretty sure many of us interested in ATSU might be wondering too :)
1. Does it show if one CHC site is full?
2. Are the CHC basically clinics and/or small community hospitals? I'm wondering how much exposure you will get and how having less trauma center/bigger hospital exposure would put you at a disadvantage if you wanted to apply for IM.
3. Once you are at your CHC location, do you need to move again in your 3rd and 4th year or can you basically have an apt in that area and you're good until you graduation?

This may also be a very dumb question, but paying the deposit and getting a CHC placement does not mean you are contracted to attend the school? I'm not too picky with the CHC sites but there are some sites I do not want to go due to significant other's job.

Thanks so much for the clarification. I have follow-up questions about the CHC. Anyone who has knowledge of this, please feel free to chime in as well..pretty sure many of us interested in ATSU might be wondering too :)
2. Are the CHC basically clinics and/or small community hospitals? I'm wondering how much exposure you will get and how having less trauma center/bigger hospital exposure would put you at a disadvantage if you wanted to apply for IM.
3. Once you are at your CHC location, do you need to move again in your 3rd and 4th year or can you basically have an apt in that area and you're good until you graduation?

This may also be a very dumb question, but paying the deposit and getting a CHC placement does not mean you are contracted to attend the school? I'm not too picky with the CHC sites but there are some sites I do not want to go due to significant other's job.
Glad to help!

1) I don't think it shows you how many people are signed up for the CHCs, but you can always call the admissions and get the scoop!

2) CHCs are basically chains of small clinics around a specific region. They will send you a ton of information about each clinic once you get the acceptance. CHCs primarily serve the underserved population, and you will get to work and interact with patients starting the 2nd year!! Some of the clerkships such as for IM/EM/surgery will be scheduled in an inpatient setting, so you will have some exposure to hospitals. Just keep in mind that all clerkships are preceptor-based rotations, so you won't be allowed to rotate with the GME residents, which I think is a good thing. I would rather stick with one observant preceptor (DO attending) than rotate with a group of residents and other medical students. Also, getting into residencies is all NUMBERS GAME! I have heard that from a lot of current medical students. If you score high enough, even the ACGME IM/EM residencies are possible! "All we need to do is perform." - Direct quote from an anonymous MD GME director.

3) Once you move to the CHC location, you will not return to Mesa, AZ until the day of graduation! I personally understand this question because I am moving with my SO too :)

Any current students in either the Chicago or Washington DC CHC's and can answer some questions?

1. No, it doesn't - at least, I don't think so.
2. It really depends on the CHC. I chose Tucson because students will be able to work at hospitals and small clinics as well, which is what I want. From my understanding, there are some CHCs that only have small clinics, but I wanted to be able to see patients both in clinics and in different hospitals. Initially my heart was set out for Portland , but I changed my mind after reading up on the different presentations that they provide. I like how they do that, and they also provide some student outputs too who have lived in different CHCs.
3. No, you stay there the entire 3 years. :)

No, you are not contracted to attend the school if you pay the deposit, but you do forfeit (lose) it if you choose a different school. :) Hope that helps! PM me if you have more questions. :)

Officially withdrew my acceptance here. It seems like a wonderful school though. GL everybody!

Once you pay the deposit and rank CHCs, how long until you hear back on what CHC you match into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you rank CHCs at your interview day or post-acceptance? What happens if you pay your deposit and don't get the CHC you want? Which ones would you say are the most sought after?

P.S. Sorry if this has been answered, I'm a little late to the party.

Do you rank CHCs at your interview day or post-acceptance? What happens if you pay your deposit and don't get the CHC you want?

P.S. Sorry if this has been answered, I'm a little late to the party.
You rank the CHCs post-acceptance after the deposit. If you don't get your first choice, you will be given your second choice and so forth. You may call the school and let them know that you have already put in your deposit and that you will love to get your first choice in case someone withdraws before matriculation. The school will try their best to get you your first choice, unless it's one of the most competitive sites. All deposits are non-refundable.

First time posting here, I got a II today!!! Super excited, but also questioning whether it is worth going to because it it so late in the game.... Is this an interview for the wait list?

First time posting here, I got a II today!!! Super excited, but also questioning whether it is worth going to because it it so late in the game.... Is this an interview for the wait list?
I think it is still not too late and they are still filling up the seats. Go for it and give it your best shot. IIs are super exciting and really a privilege

I'm a first year at SOMA and know that there are multiple people in my class who interviewed in April. It is still worth it.

Any current students in either the Chicago or Washington DC CHC's and can answer some questions?
Wondering this also, specifically for the DC site

Aaand any accepted students choosing the DC CHC? :)

Who else is going to the Hawaii CHC with me??! And Any current students that can provide me with some information on that CHC?

Will be canceling my interview for 2/24! Hopefully one of you guys scoop it up.

Got an II for March 3rd. I feel like this is so late and I'm going to be interviewing for a wait list spot.

Got an II for March 3rd. I feel like this is so late and I'm going to be interviewing for a wait list spot.
You are not that late! They will still be giving out seats up until the end of April. Good Luck :)
I'm a first year at SOMA and know that there are multiple people in my class who interviewed in April. It is still worth it.

Interviewed 2/3. Accepted!!! So happy and humbled and proud. I was really impressed by ATSU-SOMA!!! It exceeded my expectations by far!!

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone accepted and those who have interviews coming up. I was accepted this Valentine's Day and I think they said we would be receiving an email soon...has anyone received this email yet? When should I expect it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone accepted and those who have interviews coming up. I was accepted this Valentine's Day and I think they said we would be receiving an email soon...has anyone received this email yet? When should I expect it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congratulations! It will take about a week or two. But they are in no rush so don't fret :)

Does anyone know what CHCs are still open?
This is a tough one to estimate. You should call the admissions office and ask them about the CHCs that you are interested in. Good luck!

This is a tough one to estimate. You should call the admissions office and ask them about the CHCs that you are interested in. Good luck!

Quick question:
Is attendance mandatory? Is there dedicated prep time for step 1?

Quick question:
Is attendance mandatory? Is there dedicated prep time for step 1?
Attendance is not mandatory, and there's a dedicated integrative block and time off just for the Levels.
ATSU-SOMA does a 4 week "Integrative" block at the end of year 2, which consists of no lectures and weekly cumulative, board-style exams, with the last exam being a COMSAE. Then we have 7 weeks of dedicated prep time before 3rd year orientation starts. Essentially 11 weeks of dedicated prep, but most people schedule their boards so they get a week or two off before 3rd year.

anyone know how full the class is? would a late march interview essentially be for a spot on the waitlist?

Hello,
Any current students that could help answer my question? I have ranked my CHCs, emailed my admissions agreement, and mailed my deposit. I was informed that there were only 4 CHC's available. All of which ranked pretty low on my list. From personal experience, what is the likelihood that I could move up in my spot?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello,
Any current students that could help answer my question? I have ranked my CHCs, emailed my admissions agreement, and mailed my deposit. I was informed that there were only 4 CHC's available. All of which ranked pretty low on my list. From personal experience, what is the likelihood that I could move up in my spot?

Thanks in advance! :)

Which 4 CHC's were still available? Thanks!

Does anyone know for sure when orientation and classes start? I checked online at the ATSU SOMA website, and it looks like it's on July 8th. Just want to confirm. :) @SmilingTooth ?

Does anyone know for sure when orientation and classes start? I checked online at the ATSU SOMA website, and it looks like it's on July 8th. Just want to confirm. :) @SmilingTooth ?
Since the white coat ceremony will be held on July 14, the orientation should start the Monday of that week: July 10-14. That's the best estimate having looked at the orientation dates for previous years.

Since the white coat ceremony will be held on July 14, the orientation should start the Monday of that week: July 10-14. That's the best estimate having looked at the orientation dates for previous years.

Is July 14th a confirmed date?

Just gave up my interview for mid-march, good luck to all!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

just gave up my interview spot for mid march. good luck to all who is applying.

Congrats to everyone who made it through the 3/3 interview! That was intense!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, so does anyone know which CHC's are still left? I know someone earlier in the thread mentioned there were only 4 unfilled CHCs