A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long to hear back after being complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite here today. I am sitting on another acceptance and want to know if flying from Chicago to AZ is worth the money. I'm interested in infectious disease and the early clinical exposure and CHC format is intriguing. What do you guys think?

Just got an interview invite here today. I am sitting on another acceptance and want to know if flying from Chicago to AZ is worth the money. I'm interested in infectious disease and the early clinical exposure and CHC format is intriguing. What do you guys think?
When were you complete?

Weird....I haven't received anything yet. I wonder, are we supposed to pay the deposit first? I didn't see any place to in the application portal.

I haven't paid anything yet so I don't think so. I also recieved an email today from Dr. Allgood (from interview day) asking if I had any questions and what not. I would say if you don't hear anything by Monday maybe I'd look into it. They did say when I got the call that they would be emailing information out within the week.

Where's your acceptance at for starters?

anyone know how the interview here was? was it more conversational or was it more questions and answer?

anyone know how the interview here was? was it more conversational or was it more questions and answer?

We signed a confidentiality agreement so we really can't talk about it, sorry! The only thing I'll say is it varies in stress level but overall is really great and fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
finally receieved a secondary invite, it is worth sending it this late?

I completed my secondary on 10/6 and still have not heard back. I have to decide in 2 days whether to accept my spot at WVSOM. Has anyone interviewed at ATSU-SOMA and WVSOM?

Completed on 9/29, I've interviewed several other places including ATSU-KCOM, LizzyM 63 but have not heard a peep from this school since my confirmation that I was complete. Any advice on how I should proceed from here??

Completed on 9/29, I've interviewed several other places including ATSU-KCOM, LizzyM 63 but have not heard a peep from this school since my confirmation that I was complete. Any advice on how I should proceed from here??
IMO, SOMA looks for students who have significant experience in a clinical setting, especially at a community health center or a clinic which serves the underserved. The app process is very holistic, and therefore, I believe the LizzyM alone will not predict the chances of receiving an II. Good luck!

I've been complete for 5 weeks, and haven't heard anything.

Can any current students comment on the research aspect of the education? Do all students engage in this (or how does it work?)

I'm a first year here, and from what I've seen, the research is focused on osteopathic manipulative treatment, the use of ultrasound, and on community oriented primary care/public health research. In your second year when you go to your CHC, your CHC group does a Community oriented primary care research project throughout the whole second year. You spend the first half of the year researching the needs of the community, identifying one of them, and defining your study. Then you spend the second half of the year carrying it out. I've heard that a number of the students are asked about it during their residency applications. To give you an idea of what the project could be about, some examples would be increasing the rates of colon cancer screenings, increasing access to nutritious food in schools, or increasing health education in the community about some topic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Have any other accepted students been getting emails from SOMA that have subjects (today's was something about immunizations) but the email itself is blank? I can't figure out why I'm getting them!

Have any other accepted students been getting emails from SOMA that have subjects (today's was something about immunizations) but the email itself is blank? I can't figure out why I'm getting them!
Probably just reminders. I get those intermittently.

anyone else interview on 12/9 and patiently waiting on the verdict. I keep thinking about it lol :rofl:

Just received II -- but I'm cancelling it-- hope it goes to one of you lucky folks!!
Complete status WAY back like in late July.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone else interview on 12/9 and patiently waiting on the verdict. I keep thinking about it lol :rofl:
YES. Interviewed 12/9 and I can't stop thinking about it either...I remember them saying that they will do their best to send out decisions before they leave for the holiday. Lets hope!! #TeamViolet

Reactions: 1 users
YES. Interviewed 12/9 and I can't stop thinking about it either...I remember them saying that they will do their best to send out decisions before they leave for the holiday. Lets hope!! #TeamViolet
nice! #teamyellow here lol

withdrew my interview here. I hope it goes to one of y'all!

My goodness they are taking their time. :/ I recall hearing they'd aim for 12/20, but they weren't sure. Murr.....
Accepted!!! Got the call from admissions this morning around 7:30am PST. They said they'd send the email with the info after the new year. :)

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED AS WELL!! Got the call at 7:30AM...Congrats to you guys!! #TeamViolet

No email or anything. Hopefully they make a few more calls at the end of the day?

Congratulations to everyone who recently got your acceptances!! Can't wait to see yo faces next year :highfive:

Random question guys - but does anyone know the exact date of the white coat ceremony? I am trying to find a specific date on the website, but without much luck. Thanks!

Random question guys - but does anyone know the exact date of the white coat ceremony? I am trying to find a specific date on the website, but without much luck. Thanks!
I am having the same problem without much luck. Looking at the past ceremony dates, I think the second Friday of July is a good ballpark for the white coat. Let me know if you find out something more affirmative so that I can let my folks know!

I am having the same problem without much luck. Looking at the past ceremony dates, I think the second Friday of July is a good ballpark for the white coat. Let me know if you find out something more affirmative so that I can let my folks know!

Congrats on the acceptances everyone!

First year here, white coat was the Friday during orientation week, so if they tell you the orientation week then it might be that Friday. That's my guess based on last year.

Otherwise they are really good about responding to email or phone to questions about stuff like that. #benefitsofasmallchool

Looks like it's July 14th! I'll see you there haha!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get more tickets to the white coat?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get more tickets to the white coat?

Last year we only got a certain number of tickets per student, so we made a google doc that we shared with each other on the Facebook group to list how many extra tickets people had and how many tickets people still needed, and we messaged each other to exchange extra tickets among ourselves. If I remember right, we had left over tickets as a class at the end of the day so it worked out.

We weren't able to get extra tickets from the administration FYI, but the google doc worked pretty well.