2022-2023 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS II Received 11/02, Complete 08/07!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Yale accept application update pre interview invite?

Is there a place we can track how many or % of interviews have been sent out already for Yale?

Does anyone know if Yale is still sending out IIs? The school is a reach for me I was just holding out hope because I did research there for 2 years. Congrats to all who have received IIs :)

For MSTP applicants, do the MD and MSTP programs consider the applicant simultaneously, so the applicant would have a chance at the MD-only program if rejected by MSTP before or after the interview? Still hoping for an interview but I'm wondering if getting a later interview date (if at all) would hurt my chance at MD...
Yes if you don't get MSTP you are considered for MD: "Invitations to interview will be sent via email from September to February. Applicants to the MD-PhD Program who are no longer in consideration will automatically be reviewed by the School of Medicine's Committee on Admissions for the MD Program only." (https://medicine.yale.edu/mdphd/prospective/)

Also just an FYI in case you didn't know - there are threads (Physician Scientists) for MD-PhD applicants!

EDIT: @Medschoolpls2023 ig this is may be relevant to you too

Is there a place we can track how many or % of interviews have been sent out already for Yale?
CycleTrack is a great tool that can help you keep track of your cycle while giving this data (Yale). Granted, it is not unbiased, but it will get better as more applicants use it!

Yes if you don't get MSTP you are considered for MD: "Invitations to interview will be sent via email from September to February. Applicants to the MD-PhD Program who are no longer in consideration will automatically be reviewed by the School of Medicine's Committee on Admissions for the MD Program only." (https://medicine.yale.edu/mdphd/prospective/)

Also just an FYI in case you didn't know - there are threads (Physician Scientists) for MD-PhD applicants!

EDIT: @Medschoolpls2023 ig this is may be relevant to you too

I see! Since Yale doesn’t have rolling admissions, would it be right to assume when the application is reviewed by the MD only program should not impact the regular MD decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see! Since Yale doesn’t have rolling admissions, would it be right to assume when the application is reviewed by the MD only program should not impact the regular MD decision?
That logic makes sense to me, but this whole process is very unpredictable and is very much a black box so not too sure

That's correct in my experience. My classmates had interviews at all different times. I interviewed in December last year fwiw, and I was a direct admit, no WL

Can anyone who has interviewed here speak to their experience?

Can anyone who has interviewed here speak to their experience?
Pretty chill! they were very complimentary to my application and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know more about my activities and my background! Also, you have 45 mins with each interviewer so there's a lot of time for you to chat and build a connection with them hopefully!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Pretty chill! they were very complimentary to my application and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know more about my activities and my background! Also, you have 45 mins with each interviewer so there's a lot of time for you to chat and build a connection with them hopefully!

Thank you for sharing that’s comforting to hear!!

Are there any info sessions coming up for prospective students / already interviewed students?

For those who recently received IIs, what dates were available to choose?

What does the post II acceptance rate look like here? I saw 45% somewhere but that seems high?

Does Yale only send pre-II R at the end of the cycle?

It was about 46% for the 2020-2021 cycle, I don't have the info for what it was in my cycle (2021-2022)
I find it hard to believe any post-interview acceptance rate can be up to 40% when they interview over 500 people for a class of 100. Except the post-II acceptance rate accounts for people who get off waitlist, which then means we can't translate it the way most people want to.

I find it hard to believe any post-interview acceptance rate can be up to 40% when they interview over 500 people for a class of 100. Except the post-II acceptance rate accounts for people who get off waitlist, which then means we can't translate it the way most people want to.
I calculated that from numbers they gave us. But that didn't include a breakdown of waitlist vs direct admit

Is there any applicant or current student who may clarify this question I got. Are the clerkships here at Yale strictly Pass/Fail like in UCSF or are they High Honors/ Honor/ Pass/ Fail ? Thanks.

Is there any applicant or current student who may clarify this question I got. Are the clerkships here at Yale strictly Pass/Fail like in UCSF or are they High Honors/ Honor/ Pass/ Fail ? Thanks.
Strictly pass/fail! Changed after pandemic.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anybody else who interviewed receive a webinar recording link but no invitation to the live webinar? (Probably overthinking, but nervous this means an R is coming soon)

Did anybody else who interviewed receive a webinar recording link but no invitation to the live webinar? (Probably overthinking, but nervous this means an R is coming soon)
I also received the recording link without the invitations to the live webinars and have similar fears. However, I did sign up for and attended the two November webinars. Maybe they only sent the invites for the January sessions to more recent interviewees?

I also received the recording link without the invitations to the live webinars and have similar fears. However, I did sign up for and attended the two November webinars. Maybe they only sent the invites for the January sessions to more recent interviewees?
I have 0 clue why you would be afraid that a webinar info session = R

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Idk this school’s thread has been pretty dead compared to others. No idea what is going on here.

Reactions: 4 users
Idk this school’s thread has been pretty dead compared to others. No idea what is going on here.
Agreed. I was going through last year's thread and thought that was dead. It seems to be worse this year :/

We could liven it up a little - does anyone know if Yale places much weight in letters of interest? Getting a little anxious as decisions are getting closer lol

Sooo Yale wraps up earlier than other schools, but no decisions until mid March (later than most other schools)?

We could liven it up a little - does anyone know if Yale places much weight in letters of interest? Getting a little anxious as decisions are getting closer lol
They appreciate letters of intent and it helps them inform decisions, but it doesn't typically push the needle over w/r to being a borderline decision on their end. You'd probably want to send something sooner than later if you send anything at all, decisions usually come out end of Feb/start of March

Reactions: 1 users
They appreciate letters of intent and it helps them inform decisions, but it doesn't typically push the needle over w/r to being a borderline decision on their end. You'd probably want to send something sooner than later if you send anything at all, decisions usually come out end of Feb/start of March
Thank you! I’ll send a letter asap then