2022-2023 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the II this morning! OOS LM 72, complete 7/17. Good luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
pre-ii R complete 8/28, :( feels like im the only one in august who got rejected haha ORM OOS LM 74

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R here as well, complete 7/13. Pretty disappointed since I would have loved to stay in state.

Last edited:
Wishing you guys all the best who are still waiting for an II. It is quite baffling and will never understand what the adcom looks at to send an II. I see OOS applicants getting a R with high LM score and some of us getting an II with comparatively low LM score. ECs matter but I guess it is in the same ballpark for most of us. Maybe essay and PS matters.
Yield protection is also a thing for people with higher scores

Reactions: 3 users
Welp, I hope they make good use of my $130 donation.. lol I submitted much later than some here so I'm not sure if that'll kill me or if it'll be the hammer that seems to be going around anyways 🤷‍♂️
Wishing you guys all the best who are still waiting for an II. It is quite baffling and will never understand what the adcom looks at to send an II. I see OOS applicants getting a R with high LM score and some of us getting an II with comparatively low LM score. ECs matter but I guess it is in the same ballpark for most of us. Maybe essay and PS matters.
I guess they're actually taking the holistic review process seriously.. imagine it has to do with mission fit too

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
R they still sending out R's ? Its past 6.00 pm EST
Most regular business hours don't seem to apply to adcoms lol I have gotten an II at 12:30 am and other communications at all times of day and night..

Pre-II R today, complete 7/7. Had a good cry about it earlier. Wake has been my #1 choice since I chose to pursue medicine. Everything happens for a reason, but man it can still hurt haha

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Made it through the blood bath. ~Marked safe~ (for now)

Reactions: 14 users
I saw that WF's 2022 match rate was 95%. Is this a red flag at all? I've never seen a school have less than 98% match.

ETA: 2020 and 2021 both had 100% match. I'm surprised by the drastic decrease. If 5% didn't match at all, I wonder how many SOAPed?

Last edited:
I saw that WF's 2022 match rate was 95%. Is this a red flag at all? I've never seen a school have less than 98% match.

ETA: 2020 and 2021 both had 100% match. I'm surprised by the drastic decrease. If 5% didn't match at all, I wonder how many SOAPed?
The school doesn’t have any control in which specialities people apply to and if they’re making a good choice based off of their experiences and step scores.

Ok, can someone post the secondary portal link? I can’t find mine for some reason.

Current M3 here, Wake interviews until late February and for the last two years we have had a virtual second look event in late March. Unsure if they are planning a virtual or in-person second look event for this cycle.

Match rates can fluctuate every year depending on which specialties students choose to apply to and so isn't necessarily a reflection of the rigor of the program. Notoriously, students here primarily apply to competitive surgical and non surgical specialties - neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, plastics, derm, ent, optho etc. In recent years, many students have also applied to radiology, anesthesiology and OBGYN. As a whole, from a student perspective, many more students apply to/are interested in these specialties as opposed to primary care specialties such as internal medicine, family medicine etc. - although there are still successful matches in primary care specialties every year. That being said, given many students apply to primarily more competitive specialties, the respective match rate is pretty good. My year, there seems to be more interest in Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, and Anesthesiology among others. Each class is different and so match rates tend to fluctuate accordingly. As a student intending to apply to a competitive specialty, I feel very supported by the school and faculty to successfully match.

Hope this clarifies things!

Reactions: 4 users
Out of curiosity, can anyone speak to the mission fit Wake Forest is looking for? They had one of the more generic mission statements of those I've read and have never seemed that strongly drawn to any one type of applicant to me. I did get the vibe that they aren't primary-care focused, which I liked because I think I want to subspecialize in peds or internal medicine. Just interested to understand what mission so many of us didn't fit!

Out of curiosity, can anyone speak to the mission fit Wake Forest is looking for? They had one of the more generic mission statements of those I've read and have never seemed that strongly drawn to any one type of applicant to me. I did get the vibe that they aren't primary-care focused, which I liked because I think I want to subspecialize in peds or internal medicine. Just interested to understand what mission so many of us didn't fit!
Aren’t peds and IM primary care?

does anyone know when wake starts pulling from the waitlist?
Depends. Expect in the springtime and be surprised if earlier.

Does anyone know how late WF usually send out II's? If I havent heard back yet, am I a lost cause?
Nope. No news = good news. Also, for the sake of your own sanity, don't try and figure out any sort of pattern to when you think you may hear back by with regards to an interview. I've tried for years now, still got nothing helpful for you. But don't worry, plenty of space to be accepted whenever you do interview. Yes, future late February interview invitee looking back at a November comment--that means you too.

Source: a friendly M4 who remembers how frustrating it is to apply.
(I'm not on here much (this whole trying to land a residency thing is mildly stressful) but you can try asking questions. I'll try and respond but truthfully, answers might be vague (out of sheer ignorance) and sporadic (less from ignorance, more from exhaustion/enjoying first real break in years). Sorry, won't respond to DMs because someone else probably has your exact same question too, so let's just kill two birds with one stone)

Reactions: 3 users
I thought that they were more focused on population/public health research than some others (esp implementation science given that they have a department for it). Obviously could be any number of things though!

Reactions: 1 user
^ I agree with that and thought they had a special focus on implementation science too which is really cool.

OMG, II!!!!! Complete late July, LM 68!!! Didn’t think I had any chance here!

Reactions: 4 users
Any interviewees want to share their experience with WF's one-way Virtual Assessment?

Aren’t peds and IM primary care?
They are, but I was referring to subspecialties like cardiology, endocrinology, etc. (medical genetics in my case) that imo are not included in the primary care umbrella!

Any november interviewees hear back yet?
ahahah just received the email.
OOS, complete late July, waitlisted :/ Anyone know how their waitlist is built or how much movement it usually has?

Last edited:
Are the one way assessments traditional interview questions or scenario based questions... or is there a mix opf both