2022-2023 TCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone willing to share: TCU's mission statement seems to almost 100% revolve around the "emphatic scholar". Going through their website and social medias, I've interpreted this as TCU being a big advocate for science communication (and utilizing science communication to educate patients and communities about their care). Did ya'll have a different interpretation of what it means to be an "empathetic scholar" ? I'm trying to iron out my understanding of the mission statement carefully because honestly, I wasn't expecting a secondary from here due to my low stats. I can only assume that I received a secondary based on my mission fit for their "empathetic scholar" goal. Going to try my best to showcase the parts of my personal goals that align with their mission in the secondary videos :)

For anyone willing to share: TCU's mission statement seems to almost 100% revolve around the "emphatic scholar". Going through their website and social medias, I've interpreted this as TCU being a big advocate for science communication (and utilizing science communication to educate patients and communities about their care). Did ya'll have a different interpretation of what it means to be an "empathetic scholar" ? I'm trying to iron out my understanding of the mission statement carefully because honestly, I wasn't expecting a secondary from here due to my low stats. I can only assume that I received a secondary based on my mission fit for their "empathetic scholar" goal. Going to try my best to showcase the parts of my personal goals that align with their mission in the secondary videos :)
I think my perception of it is similar to yours. I get the sense that the goal is to develop physicians learn how to establish/grow patient relationships with compassionate communication while also implementing the best medicine backed by scientific research.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think my perception of it is similar to yours. I get the sense that the goal is to develop physicians learn how to establish/grow patient relationships with compassionate communication while also implementing the best medicine backed by scientific research.
Amazing !! Thank you for sharing :)

(side note: does anyone else feel like this smiley emoji :) looks awfully passive aggressive ? I'm sure there's a smile emoji on here thats more cute but I can't seem to type it out)

Rising MS3. Good luck to everyone applying! Happy to answer any questions!
Do you have any advice for preparing for TCU's secondary? Can the secondary be done as soon as you're invited or do you recommend studying and preparing for responses, similar to interview prep? How soon do you recommend doing the secondary once you received a secondary app invite?

Do you have any advice for preparing for TCU's secondary? Can the secondary be done as soon as you're invited or do you recommend studying and preparing for responses, similar to interview prep? How soon do you recommend doing the secondary once you received a secondary app invite?
If I remember correctly, the secondary can be done as soon as you're invited to complete it. As a general rule of thumb, you should complete any secondary application as soon as possible because most schools operate through a rolling admissions process.

My two cents on the secondary application for TCU is that there really isn't any "studying" that can be done. You just have to go into the secondary ready to be your whole honest, genuine self. Give genuine answers and elaborate (briefly) on them with either past experiences or whatever feels right at that time. Be yourself! The school isn't trying to trick you-they just want to get to know you and see if you are a good match.

just finished. Felt good about one but 2 of them was still talking when it ended. T.T. Hope that isn't seen as a negative.

I messed up on the first one and took a 5 second break in between my answer because the word I was looking for was at the tip of my tongue, am I screwed lol

Anyone else stutter so hard? lol
and say a lot of "umm"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them and they said that my letters were in and not to worry about it, but my portal does still say that they aren't - little weird but trying not to let it bother me!
+1 reached out to them and said the same thing and that they have to manually go through them

Submitted secondary. Don’t feel great about it (feel like I rambled my way through it) but oh well!

Triple checking before I start: this secondary is audio only, right? I don't need to go put on a suit or anything?
I also have the same question, are we expected to wear business attire for the secondary? Is there a video portion to TCU's secondary?

Submitted secondary. Don’t feel great about it (feel like I rambled my way through it) but oh well!
I know you're not allowed to say anything about the secondary prompts, but is there anything you recommend we do to prepare for the secondary that you're able to share? Should we prepare for the responses like an interview?

I know you're not allowed to say anything about the secondary prompts, but is there anything you recommend we do to prepare for the secondary that you're able to share? Should we prepare for the responses like an interview?
As someone who is complete, I would say prepare like you would for an interview.

I honestly don't think you can really prepare much, just go through possible medical school interview questions and think about how you would respond to them. Maybe you can practice speaking logically/ coherently on the spot? Not sure if that's something you can improve in a short period of time though. Good luck!!

Based on the SOM FB page, looks like interviews will be all virtual and will take place on Mondays ~2x a month beginning in September and concluding in February. It looks like the first interview day might be 9/12.

is there a written timed portion to the secondary or is it all audio?

I submitted my secondary but my status is still incomplete. I checked what's missing on the status page and its saying my letters of references but they are all received on AMCAS. Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

I submitted my secondary but my status is still incomplete. I checked what's missing on the status page and its saying my letters of references but they are all received on AMCAS. Anyone know how to resolve this issue?
I am having the same issue, and it seems like a lot of others are too. I called the admissions office today, and they told me they only have one letter on file for me (my committee letter). Apparently, a committee letter only counts as one letter, and 3 individual letters need to be submitted. My friend who is also applying to TCU called and got the same response. Did anyone else have a similar response?

I'm trying to find any stuff on interview feedback to see how to prepare for TCU's secondary, but I see that TCU interviewers signed NDAs with TCU and can't say anything. 😩

I am having the same issue, and it seems like a lot of others are too. I called the admissions office today, and they told me they only have one letter on file for me (my committee letter). Apparently, a committee letter only counts as one letter, and 3 individual letters need to be submitted. My friend who is also applying to TCU called and got the same response. Did anyone else have a similar response?
Wait seriously? That's so weird...especially because most committee letters include the various letters within them

Wait seriously? That's so weird...especially because most committee letters include the various letters within them

Their website says as long as the committee letter includes at least 2 additional letters, the requirement is fulfilled, I believe.

Just did the questions. I did alright up until the last one. I had prepped my answer and then forgot to lead off with a part of it and submitted without answering all of the question. How bad of an mess up do you think that is?

Just did the questions. I did alright up until the last one. I had prepped my answer and then forgot to lead off with a part of it and submitted without answering all of the question. How bad of an mess up do you think that is?
I did something similar. I don't think it's that bad of a mess up. On prior TCU threads, I've seen countless stories of people who received IIs and As say they felt that they bombed the secondary or missed something in one of the questions.

Since they send out secondaries slowly, after looking through the primary for specific questions, does that mean receiving a secondary means something good? or does everyone eventually get a secondary?

Since they send out secondaries slowly, after looking through the primary for specific questions, does that mean receiving a secondary means something good? or does everyone eventually get a secondary?
I think everyone above the screening stats would receive secondary eventually

Submitted the secondary on 7/15 and my application is still not complete because of my LOR…

Just did the secondary and my responses were mid but its done !! Its in the hands of the committee now :D

Some un-soclicited advice for anyone who hasn't done the secondary yet: I ended up rambling and repeating myself a bit because I was trying to fill up the time. In hindsight, I should have just stopped when I completed my answer instead of trying to get closer to the three minute mark. Quality over quantity !!

Verified 7/15, submitted my secondary 8/9. I didn't get to finish what I said on one prompt, but I think I answered the best I could for the others. I'm still stressed out about it.

Verified 7/15, submitted my secondary 8/9. I didn't get to finish what I said on one prompt, but I think I answered the best I could for the others. I'm still stressed out about it.
I completed it a few days ago and I still think about the prompts and how I could've done better lol :( But it's okay! We did it and that's what matters.

Last edited:
I completed it a few days ago and I still think about the prompts and how I could've done better lol :( But it's okay! We did it and that's what matters.
I also feel like they're not expecting us to be perfect! Heads up y'all we made it through the initial gauntlet of primary and secondary apps :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just finished the secondary app and received a “your file is complete” email immediately! fingers crossed my answers were good enough!

Just finished the secondary app and received a “your file is complete” email immediately! fingers crossed my answers were good enough!
Did you send in a committee letter or individual ones?

I wonder when we will start hearing about II

Last edited:
What device did all of y'all use for the recorded portions? Can I just use the built in mic in my iPad Pro I'm worried it'll sound bad.
that should work! I used my mac. Make sure you test your audio before you begin. Be sure it's responding on screen when you're talking.

Verified today 8/15 and received secondary 8/15! A little late maybe but still plenty of time in the application season I think!