2022-2023 TCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had a problem with status saying LOR not received but it showing received date of 6/22 under the document status? Wondering if I should reach out

+1 have the same LOR issue

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone had a problem with status saying LOR not received but it showing received date of 6/22 under the document status? Wondering if I should reach out
I have the same problem.
I called admissions earlier today. Nice person on the phone told me there's nothing I need to do at this point to resolve the issue (whatever that means).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I understand that we receive 60 seconds to view the question - does anyone know how long we have to answer the question itself (the actual recording). Or is this stating that we receive 60 seconds total regardless of how long it takes to answer versus read the question?
I don't know how much time the recording for your answer lasts, but you will get that information on the day you do it.

Secondary received today. OOS. Not sure I am going to submit though. Didn't know they had a genetics requirement. So random

New M2 here, happy to answer any questions! Best of luck to everyone applying.

I recently listened to the interview Dr. Sloan gave on the Raising Joy podcast and he talked about being faculty for LGBTQ Health and Wellness. Can you shed some light on how LGBTQ health education is integrated into the curriculum from your perspective as a student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone have trouble with their audio recordings for their prompts??? I didn’t see a wavelength for my 2nd prompt recording but I continued to finishing the 3rd prompt to see it happened again. The 3rd recording showed a wavelength though.

I’m sorta panicking cuz I used my AirPods. I honestly don’t remember if my 1st recording went through too! Hoping to see if anyone had a similar issue

Did anyone have trouble with their audio recordings for their prompts??? I didn’t see a wavelength for my 2nd prompt recording but I continued to finishing the 3rd prompt to see it happened again. The 3rd recording showed a wavelength though.

I’m sorta panicking cuz I used my AirPods. I honestly don’t remember if my 1st recording went through too! Hoping to see if anyone had a similar issue

If you had trouble they say to definitely reach out to them to confirm that everything was recorded correctly

If you had trouble they say to definitely reach out to them to confirm that everything was recorded correctly

For sure! Yeah I emailed them and held off from submitting! Hopefully they can open up the prompts that didn’t record properly and I can go ahead and submit.

For sure! Yeah I emailed them and held off from submitting! Hopefully they can open up the prompts that didn’t record properly and I can go ahead and submit.
They're really responsive so i'm sure they reach out to you ASAP :)

Submitted the secondary. Feeling really good about my audio responses this time around - last time I applied I felt very iffy and I didnt get an interview so

TCU's workflow is not like the other Texas schools. They take their time for a close reading of your primary application, and then spread out their secondary app invitations over a matter of months.
If you have any specific questions for them about your prereqs or that sort of thing, email the admissions office for information; they are responsive.
However, they do not take "updates" to your application , letters of interest, etc.

It's hard to be patient - if your primary app is complete there is nothing more to do right now.
Interesting. Do you know why? cause on their website it says they send a secondary application to everyone who meets their stat requriements. Ig they want to review secondaries of those who have a mission fit first?

Interesting. Do you know why? cause on their website it says they send a secondary application to everyone who meets their stat requriements. Ig they want to review secondaries of those who have a mission fit first?
I don't know. You may send specific questions to [email protected]

I have only observed that in the past secondaries are sent out over several months and not as soon as your AMCAS application is complete

Hello everyone, it’s exciting seeing secondaries go out and the application season getting into full swing. I’m a MS1 at TCU so if you have any questions lmk!

Hello everyone, it’s exciting seeing secondaries go out and the application season getting into full swing. I’m a MS1 at TCU so if you have any questions lmk!
What does TCU do to help you get settled in as an incoming medical student?

What does TCU do to help you get settled in as an incoming medical student?
So we just wrapped up our two welcome weeks! It was great it was a no pressure environment where we could meet with fellow students, staff, and faculty. It slowly introduced us to what the school expects and how our unique curriculum works. The upper classmen are awesome and hosted many socials and information sessions, all their doing and not prompted by the school. We even had coffee with our dean and department chairs. We also got our development coach’s, who are on our side and want to see us succeed! The best thing about this school are the people, so welcoming and kind.

So we just wrapped up our two welcome weeks! It was great it was a no pressure environment where we could meet with fellow students, staff, and faculty. It slowly introduced us to what the school expects and how our unique curriculum works. The upper classmen are awesome and hosted many socials and information sessions, all their doing and not prompted by the school. We even had coffee with our dean and department chairs. We also got our development coach’s, who are on our side and want to see us succeed! The best thing about this school are the people, so welcoming and kind.
that's amazing! I'm glad to hear how supportive of an environment exists at the school. Fingers crossed for that II. They are HIGH on my list :)

for the question Did you attend a junior/community college during your undergraduate years?

would taking a community college course in the summer right after HS graduation and before the start of U1 count? Im assuming no but would like to confirm

for the question Did you attend a junior/community college during your undergraduate years?

would taking a community college course in the summer right after HS graduation and before the start of U1 count? Im assuming no but would like to confirm
I would say yes. you weren't in HS and you hadn't graduated college so it sounds like it fits to me? Also, you could email them and ask. I had a question and they were really responsive

I recently listened to the interview Dr. Sloan gave on the Raising Joy podcast and he talked about being faculty for LGBTQ Health and Wellness. Can you shed some light on how LGBTQ health education is integrated into the curriculum from your perspective as a student?
bumping this question because I'm interested in pursuing LGBTQ+ health and would love to know more about TCU and LGBTQ+ health from current medical students that would be willing to share some insight

Honestly i really enjoyed this secondary!! The voice recording is NOT BAD AT ALL! Don't stress about it becuase i know i was kinda anxious but it was actually really nice. Anyways, do you guys know how long it takes to be complete after submission of secondary?

Honestly i really enjoyed this secondary!! The voice recording is NOT BAD AT ALL! Don't stress about it becuase i know i was kinda anxious but it was actually really nice. Anyways, do you guys know how long it takes to be complete after submission of secondary?
It depends on when you're other items are in like Letters and MCAT. I had those in when I submitted my primary so once I completed the secondary my app was complete.

I have the same problem.
I called admissions earlier today. Nice person on the phone told me there's nothing I need to do at this point to resolve the issue (whatever that means).
Did the issue ever resolve/did you ever get the "application complete" email from TCU?

Did the issue ever resolve/did you ever get the "application complete" email from TCU?
Had a similar situation - emailed and was told no additional information was needed from me and my LORs were received. No official "application email" from TCU though

OOS secondary :') I've heard they screen but is it like a soft screen or more like a UCSF situation? Or am I telling this to make myself feel bettter lol

Gotta say thank the heavens for the example audio question because I realized I spoke during the 30 second interim and had a heart attack after I submitted that one

If you really like this school you can take a semester of physiology some time this year, as long as you are done with it by spring 2023.
Do we really need to be done by Spring 2023 or is Spring 2023 also included. I thought usually the pre-reqs need to be completed by matriculation? Am I wrong in thinking that?

Do we really need to be done by Spring 2023 or is Spring 2023 also included. I thought usually the pre-reqs need to be completed by matriculation? Am I wrong in thinking that?
Just watch the end date of your spring 2023 term, if it’s before TCU matriculation date or not

Sure! First: all incoming students have mandatory Safe Zone training during Orientation. The purpose is to increase awareness of the LGBTQ+ community and practice allyship with both colleagues and patients. As a student, I was incredibly impressed with the comprehensiveness of the training and absolutely appreciated it.

In terms of our basic science curriculum, we address LGBTQ+ health most in our Behavior/Psychiatry and Reproduction modules. In Behavior/Psych, we talk about the intersection of gender and sexual minority patients with regards to risk factors for psychiatric issues, as well as the history of pathologizing sexuality and gender.

In Clinical Skills, we have periodic encounters with Standardized Patients. In these encounters, we are given only the first initial and last name of our patient before we enter the room -- no first name or sex. The idea is to keep in mind the fact that a patient may not be identify as the name or sex reported in their medical record, and that opening the conversation by allowing the patient to introduce themselves can help build repertoire and trust.

That's off the top of my head, but if you have more specific questions, please feel free to ask! Overall I've been impressed with how the school addresses issues in LGBTQ+ health, so I'm happy to expand.

bumping this question because I'm interested in pursuing LGBTQ+ health and would love to know more about TCU and LGBTQ+ health from current medical students that would be willing to share some insight
In addition to my response to DancingHusky's question, I'd be happy to talk about extracurricular stuff -- for example, we have a Pride Alliance student interest group that has hosted a conference, has made community connections with future volunteer and research opportunities, etc. We also have current students doing research with faculty members on issues in LGBTQ+ health and medical education. Again, happy to answer any additional questions!

hi! thank you for offering to answer questions! how do you feel about the school's "newness" as a really recently established medical school in the country? have you seen any deficits due to this or are there positives or just what is your personal take there?

In addition to my response to DancingHusky's question, I'd be happy to talk about extracurricular stuff -- for example, we have a Pride Alliance student interest group that has hosted a conference, has made community connections with future volunteer and research opportunities, etc. We also have current students doing research with faculty members on issues in LGBTQ+ health and medical education. Again, happy to answer any additional questions!
All of this sounds amazing. And I saw the conference that was hosted by the pride alliance. I thought it was incredibly impressive that Admiral Levine spoke there. It really seems like TCU is committed to uplifting the LGBTQ+ community.

Sure! First: all incoming students have mandatory Safe Zone training during Orientation. The purpose is to increase awareness of the LGBTQ+ community and practice allyship with both colleagues and patients. As a student, I was incredibly impressed with the comprehensiveness of the training and absolutely appreciated it.

In terms of our basic science curriculum, we address LGBTQ+ health most in our Behavior/Psychiatry and Reproduction modules. In Behavior/Psych, we talk about the intersection of gender and sexual minority patients with regards to risk factors for psychiatric issues, as well as the history of pathologizing sexuality and gender.

In Clinical Skills, we have periodic encounters with Standardized Patients. In these encounters, we are given only the first initial and last name of our patient before we enter the room -- no first name or sex. The idea is to keep in mind the fact that a patient may not be identify as the name or sex reported in their medical record, and that opening the conversation by allowing the patient to introduce themselves can help build repertoire and trust.

That's off the top of my head, but if you have more specific questions, please feel free to ask! Overall I've been impressed with how the school addresses issues in LGBTQ+ health, so I'm happy to expand.
I really appreciate the focus on the history of pathologizing sexuality and gender and the SP encounters sound like a great opportunity to practice asking about pronouns :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Finished secondary. I feel like I messed up a little but oh well! its over! Good Luck Everyone!