2022-2023 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @flyon_littlewing9587 for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Pittsburgh Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. Include how the experience contributed to the person you are today. (250 words or less.)

At UPSOM, diversity and inclusion are measures of distinction, integral to achieving institutional excellence, and essential to the development of future physicians who become leaders in medicine. Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion in the past, and how you hope to grow that commitment in medical school. (250 words or less.)

Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
According to an adcom member, Questions 1 and 2 of the secondary will be different this year. Same/similar theme, but the exact question/wording will be new. Question 3 (anything else question) will remain the same.

Reactions: 3 users
should I even apply here...
Low gpa and sgpa even after post-bacc. Post bacc was 3.6.. For both gpa. The cgpa 3.25 and sgpa 2.92. Had to retake mcat and score is pending but on fl was scoring 508-512. I have +1000 hours of volunteering and +1000 hours working in healthcare settings. Unique background as I grew up in refugee camp until i moved here as a senior in hs. Didn’t have formal schooling till 10/11 years old. volunteers in refugee camps every summer. So gpa in undergrad was bc of adapting to america, the education system, and working full time. Do i have any chances at a?..

Members don't see this ad :)
should I even apply here...
Low gpa and sgpa even after post-bacc. Post bacc was 3.6.. For both gpa. The cgpa 3.25 and sgpa 2.92. Had to retake mcat and score is pending but on fl was scoring 508-512. I have +1000 hours of volunteering and +1000 hours working in healthcare settings. Unique background as I grew up in refugee camp until i moved here as a senior in hs. Didn’t have formal schooling till 10/11 years old. volunteers in refugee camps every summer. So gpa in undergrad was bc of adapting to america, the education system, and working full time. Do i have any chances at a?..
sgpa under 3.0 might get you screened out, especially at a school like Pitt. Any research experience? State of residence?

Does anyone know if Pitt is super research-heavy as opposed to stats-heavy?

1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. Include how the experience contributed to the person you are today. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2.At UPSOM, diversity and inclusion are measures of distinction, integral to achieving institutional excellence, and essential to the development of future physicians who become leaders in medicine. Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion in the past, and how you hope to grow that commitment in medical school. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

3. Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

Reactions: 1 user
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. Include how the experience contributed to the person you are today. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2.At UPSOM, diversity and inclusion are measures of distinction, integral to achieving institutional excellence, and essential to the development of future physicians who become leaders in medicine. Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion in the past, and how you hope to grow that commitment in medical school. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

3. Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
@wysdoc Here are this year's prompts.

sgpa under 3.0 might get you screened out, especially at a school like Pitt. Any research experience? State of residence?

Yes I have some research but no publications. State of residence is currently missouri and moving to Pennsylvania in fall or winter break as my fiancé lives there

Anybody else have Letters of Rec marked complete but it says there are no recommendations to display underneath

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble entering in their SSN? It has a designated format, but not enough characters for me to input it that way, and when I try other ways it says "invalid"

Anybody else have Letters of Rec marked complete but it says there are no recommendations to display underneath
Mine says "no documents to display" under recommendations on the application status page even though all of my recommendations are in. I guess we have to wait for them to load to the page to submit?

It worked when I put it in without spaces or dashes

So in the course requirements are you only putting the Intro Bio course or are you listing all bio courses you took all 4 years

So in the course requirements are you only putting the Intro Bio course or are you listing all bio courses you took all 4 years
I just did 2 labs and 2 Bio courses

I just did 2 labs and 2 Bio courses
How are you entering your courses. the instructions say to enter Course Name/Number.

If your transcript says: BIO-101 Introduction to Biology I

Are you doing:
Bio-101
or
Introduction to Biology I/101

How are you entering your courses. the instructions say to enter Course Name/Number.

If your transcript says: BIO-101 Introduction to Biology I

Are you doing:
Bio-101
or
Introduction to Biology I/101
Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 9.37.28 PM.png

Me now realizing I have messed up... :')

• Wow
Question— are we inputting these things purely to mark off that we fulfilled requirements or do they do an internal gpa calculation based off of what we list? I ask because of course I’d rather add in a req with an A…

Okay now that I've gotten the humor out, the anxiety can settle in LMAO in all honesty......what do we think my dudes, am I ~done~ for
Nah you're good. If they really can't figure out what college you went to they can just check your AMCAS.

• Care
Nah you're good. If they really can't figure out what college you went to they can just check your AMCAS.

This calmed me lmao, ty :') because why are they making me resubmit my primary

Question— are we inputting these things purely to mark off that we fulfilled requirements or do they do an internal gpa calculation based off of what we list? I ask because of course I’d rather add in a req with an A…

I used the grades I liked the most but I feel like doing an internal GPA calc makes no sense? Especially because you wouldn't even be listing all the courses you took under that subject

My biology and psychology prerequisites were all met by AP credit, but I took upper level coursework in both during college. I know they take AP credit, but should I add on college courses that meet the requirements too so they have grades to reference other than "CR"?

Also be warned! The course title/number section cuts you off at a certain number of characters but doesn't do so until after you save it. It cut off the "LB" after both of my biology courses with dummy long names so I had to shorten them!

For MSTP applicants: does Pitt have decent cancer research staff/infrastructure? How am I struggling to find cancer biologists in any of their graduate programs? Am I missing something?

For MSTP applicants: does Pitt have decent cancer research staff/infrastructure? How am I struggling to find cancer biologists in any of their graduate programs? Am I missing something?
Under the Integrative Systems Biology program there's a cancer biology focus. Here is a list of the cancer biology faculty.

OOS, secondary received 7/8. Submitted 6/8 and processed 7/7.

For MSTP applicants, is there any difference between "Abstracts" and "Oral/Poster Presentations" within the CV section? Why are these separate categories?

The anything else essay isn't optional? Can I just put N/A there or would that look bad?

haven't even get an email confirming app is completed :(

Same but under status it says, "Your MD application is complete and under review" so I think you should be good regardless of completion email if it says that?

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the application portal?