2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hold pool… until April 30 the latest. So sad…

any historical info regarding the hold pool?
Do they email you/update the portal for being in the hold pool? Or, do you just assume that if you haven't heard back by a certain point in time?

Members don't see this ad.

Do they email you/update the portal for being in the hold pool? Or, do you just assume that if you haven't heard back by a certain point in time?
Emailed me to check the portal. When i read this, i already knew it was a hold :(

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone recall how long the MMI typically went? I'm interviewing next week and I'm trying to reserve a library room. Their emails said when the MMI starts, but that's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone recall how long the MMI typically went? I'm interviewing next week and I'm trying to reserve a library room. Their emails said when the MMI starts, but that's it.
Looking back at my II, it said 9-12:15, but the Kira Talent email says it starts at 10. From my memory, 9-10 was check-in/brief orientation with Kari and I recall having some personal time before the interview itself started. You don't have to come back to the original zoom link after you're done with the MMI, but you can if you have any questions or wanted to raise some concerns/issues.

post-II hold today, interviewed end of September :/ do people get pulled off hold throughout the cycle or does this take place entirely at the end? I know that *most* movement occurs at the end, but I'm just curious

Is there an accepted students fb page/group me yet
Typically Facebook pages are created sometime after the new year once more acceptances are sent out - you will receive an email from a school representative when one is created with more information. Just enjoy the news for now!

post-II hold today, interviewed end of September :/ do people get pulled off hold throughout the cycle or does this take place entirely at the end? I know that *most* movement occurs at the end, but I'm just curious
There have been people accepted to OHSU that were on hold for as short as a few days or as long as six months, it is extremely variable. Hang in there!

• Care
Interviewed last week of Sept and still haven’t heard anything…. Anyone else? I’m getting worried by the silence now that more people are getting updates 😅

Interviewed last week of Sept and still haven’t heard anything…. Anyone else? I’m getting worried by the silence now that more people are getting updates 😅
I was last week of October lol, just vibing until Xmas

I finished my secondary in late July as an IS applicant with pretty good stats, activities, and letters. Should I be getting worried not to have received an interview invite as of yet?

Last edited:
I finished my secondary on 7/20 as an IS applicant with pretty good stats, activities, and letters. Should I be getting worried not to have received an interview invite as of yet?
You and me both. Complete 7/29. Last cycle, I received an invite from OHSU in late September, interview mid-October... so I'm a little worried to be honest. But, they are serious about any interviewees being seriously considered for a spot. So as long as that sweet sweet email finally comes, I'll be alright.

You and me both. Complete 7/29. Last cycle, I received an invite from OHSU in late September, interview mid-October... so I'm a little worried to be honest. But, they are serious about any interviewees being seriously considered for a spot. So as long as that sweet sweet email finally comes, I'll be alright.
I am a re applicant and re-intervieweeee(?) but I did not get the II until late January last cycle. So I would not worry!

Members don't see this ad :)
complete mid-August, glad I'm not the only IS applicant being completely ignored
Also being in state is huge of course. So as long as there aren’t any massive red flags, I think you'll unfortunately have to play the waiting game.

Just got an A for the MD/MPH program. My portal hasn’t updated yet, but Dr. Foster is making the calls. I interviewed first week of October.

• Care
Just got an A for the MD/MPH program. My portal hasn’t updated yet, but Dr. Foster is making the calls. I interviewed first week of October.
Congrats! nice to hear that they make calls for the combined degree program :)

I finished my secondary on 7/20 as an IS applicant with pretty good stats, activities, and letters. Should I be getting worried not to have received an interview invite as of yet?
Don't be worried. When I applied I had multiple acceptances in the Fall and Winter but radio silence from OHSU. I didn't hear back from them until late Jan. for a late Feb. interview, so I was fully preparing to move out of state by the time I got my acceptance.

The good news was that the way the process works at OHSU (and they explain all this during your interview day, or at least they explained it during ours) is that they they have a relatively objective (well.. as much as any of this can be objective)/score based acceptance process. So your application, MCAT/GPA, MMI and interview all give you a composite score. I can't remember the exact breakdown, but the academics portion is not weighted super heavily (I think it was only like 10% or 20% of your total score... the application and interviews definitely were weighted more). They set an acceptance threshold around thanksgiving that is pretty high; idk what the scoring system is but let's say its out of 100. They set the first round of acceptances at applications scoring of 95 or above. Then throughout the cycle they look at the scores for all the applicants and begin lowering that threshold as they approach April. So by the time I interviewed in Feb/March timeframe, my application/interview was scored and I met the acceptance threshold immediately. My turnaround from interview to acceptance was like 2 weeks which was lovely. Then there are a bunch of folks that get admitted post end of the interview cycle, where they can look at the entire potential class and set the threshold at a number that makes sense for #of offers they want to distribute.

I know it is a frustrating wait, but just keep your chin up! And sometimes this process is a total crapshoot, so just remember wherever you get in will be great and get you to where you need to go :)

Reactions: 3 users
Don't be worried. When I applied I had multiple acceptances in the Fall and Winter but radio silence from OHSU. I didn't hear back from them until late Jan. for a late Feb. interview, so I was fully preparing to move out of state by the time I got my acceptance.

The good news was that the way the process works at OHSU (and they explain all this during your interview day, or at least they explained it during ours) is that they they have a relatively objective (well.. as much as any of this can be objective)/score based acceptance process. So your application, MCAT/GPA, MMI and interview all give you a composite score. I can't remember the exact breakdown, but the academics portion is not weighted super heavily (I think it was only like 10% or 20% of your total score... the application and interviews definitely were weighted more). They set an acceptance threshold around thanksgiving that is pretty high; idk what the scoring system is but let's say its out of 100. They set the first round of acceptances at applications scoring of 95 or above. Then throughout the cycle they look at the scores for all the applicants and begin lowering that threshold as they approach April. So by the time I interviewed in Feb/March timeframe, my application/interview was scored and I met the acceptance threshold immediately. My turnaround from interview to acceptance was like 2 weeks which was lovely. Then there are a bunch of folks that get admitted post end of the interview cycle, where they can look at the entire potential class and set the threshold at a number that makes sense for #of offers they want to distribute.

I know it is a frustrating wait, but just keep your chin up! And sometimes this process is a total crapshoot, so just remember wherever you get in will be great and get you to where you need to go :)
Interviewed in October and accepted around Thanksgiving. The way they explained at our interview is that every applicant receives a score out of 35 based on all those factors. Please don't quote me on exact numbers or percentages, but I got the gist. Personal qualities (or something similar to that, don't remember what they called it) is based on interviews, essays, etc and is a huge portion (I want to say 50%) of your score. At certain points in the cycle, they assess what percentage of the total number of interviews they've already given of the number they're planning on giving. They then choose a threshold out of 35 points that gives them about the same percentage of their intended class size. So, if at Thanksgiving they've done half the interviews they intend to give (not saying they have, I'm just making this up) and they want a class size of 150, they'll choose the cutoff that gives them 75 acceptances to give out.

Interviewed in October and accepted around Thanksgiving. The way they explained at our interview is that every applicant receives a score out of 35 based on all those factors. Please don't quote me on exact numbers or percentages, but I got the gist. Personal qualities (or something similar to that, don't remember what they called it) is based on interviews, essays, etc and is a huge portion (I want to say 50%) of your score. At certain points in the cycle, they assess what percentage of the total number of interviews they've already given of the number they're planning on giving. They then choose a threshold out of 35 points that gives them about the same percentage of their intended class size. So, if at Thanksgiving they've done half the interviews they intend to give (not saying they have, I'm just making this up) and they want a class size of 150, they'll choose the cutoff that gives them 75 acceptances to give out.
Interviewed recently and they said the score was out of 25 total, though no one has ever gotten a 25, and, realistically, most scores range from 10-22. They said 50% was based on mission fit and motivation for medicine (gleaned from interviews, essays, etc.). 30% was based on MMIs, and 20% on academics. They're planning to give out ~520 interviews and 250 acceptances for a class of 150.

Interviewed recently and they said the score was out of 25 total, though no one has ever gotten a 25, and, realistically, most scores range from 10-22. They said 50% was based on mission fit and motivation for medicine (gleaned from interviews, essays, etc.). 30% was based on MMIs, and 20% on academics. They're planning to give out ~520 interviews and 250 acceptances for a class of 150.
heard this at my interview as well!

Current MD/MPH student, happy to answer any questions if you have any :) Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all! Super nervous about the MMI any tips for OHSU's? Thank you!
If you don't have much real life or work experience, I would practice with other people and use scenarios found online. If you have worked in a professional environment, most of the scenarios are relatable. Relax and draw from those experiences if you have them.

If you don't have much real life or work experience, I would practice with other people and use scenarios found online. If you have worked in a professional environment, most of the scenarios are relatable. Relax and draw from those experiences if you have them.
This! Definitely draw from your own experiences and elaborate on them. I tried to bring up some solid ideas/experiences that would make me stand out as more unique. I read this book to help me prepare and get an idea of how I should orient my thought process.

Amazon product

This! Definitely draw from your own experiences and elaborate on them. I tried to bring up some solid ideas/experiences that would make me stand out as more unique. I read this book to help me prepare and get an idea of how I should orient my thought process.

Amazon product

Thank you so much! The acting situations are the ones that make me the most nervous did you guys find those to be manageable? I had had MMI's with nonacting and have had a lot of work experience, so not as concerned with those, the acting ones just make me uncomfortable lol

p
Thank you so much! The acting situations are the ones that make me the most nervous did you guys find those to be manageable? I had had MMI's with nonacting and have had a lot of work experience, so not as concerned with those, the acting ones just make me uncomfortable lol
lol the acting scenarios are a little cringe (honestly, it’s inevitable) but they’re not bad. Just keep going and do your best

Finished my secondary on 8/5, interviewed on 9/12, received a hold on 11/29 😩 IS applicant and I work full-time at OHSU haha. I guess we play the waiting game!!

• Care
Any WICHE applicants hear anything back? I submitted my certification in September so a little late but no news from them yet.

Any early movements for the ones placed on hold post II? Christmas gift maybe? Like the Thanksgiving present they gave out

On the admissions portal, it says file complete 11/28/22. I submitted my secondary back in July. What does this mean? I haven’t received any communication about this, just my status on the portal saying file complete and has been reviewed.

On the admissions portal, it says file complete 11/28/22. I submitted my secondary back in July. What does this mean? I haven’t received any communication about this, just my status on the portal saying file complete and has been reviewed.
I would message admissions; they are some of the most transparent and helpful people I have encountered in this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone's portal still not say their file is complete? Mine just has the date that I submitted my secondary and "Application processing may take several weeks."

I had the exact same question and nobody answered me, I have been sitting file complete since 11/17 and have no updates. Unsure if I'm still in consideration for an interview but I know OHSU runs late so they said OOS people will be looked at by Feb. Just a waiting game at this point, I would absolutely love to be in consideration for this program as my family lives here.

I got an email this morning to check the portal.... but I don't see anything different? The portal interface is kind of a mess.

The last thing it says is file complete 11/16. So idk what this email was about? thoughts?

Last edited:
I got an email this morning to check the portal.... but I don't see anything different? The portal interface is kind of a mess.

The last thing it says is file complete 11/16. So idk what this email was about? thoughts?
Have you been interviewed? When I got that simple email, I was just placed on hold post-II

I submitted my secondary in early Sept, and got the file complete four days later. Then it took about a month and half to hear about an interview around mid-November, and I interviewed not too long ago in early December. OOS applicant.

I know there are bunch of processes with assessing/prioritizing mission fit groups (this is pre-II), reviewing secondaries, scoring interviews (post-II), and holds/acceptances (post-II). This was mentioned at the orientation, and detailed earlier in the thread.

From the orientation, it seems they take deep, holistic review very seriously, and are meticulous in their process/review (which I think is a good thing) that may contribute to the delay you're experiencing. They said they expect to extend 518 interviews, accept 250, and then have a class of 150. Also, according to last year's thread people got IIs Jan/Feb (so the extension of interviews probably is not over yet).

Hope this helps, and you get some news soon!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users

I'm sure you figured this out by now, but there is a message there now saying that email was sent by mistake!

Is this what your portal looks like?
05F167AF-FA01-43E3-BA2E-728FF087521D.png

Reactions: 2 users
It will be very obvious if you’re rejected. You’re still under review until you get that alert, OHSU does not do ‘silent Rs’. Those images of the portal looks typical. Once you get an interview you’ll get a new purple box that says interview date x/x/x. Once you get a decision it says: DECISION: ACCEPT/ HOLD/ REJECT underneath the interview boxes.

besides those actions the portal will not change. You’ll get an email saying “check portal” if you get a status change. Emailing admissions won’t get you any new info, as Kari doesn’t know anything about the admissions meetings details or when they’re held for certain students. It’s all about when your one on one interviewer has time to show up to the admin meeting, there’s no rhyme or reason to when you get decisions.

And again, a Hold is not an R. I bet more than half our current class was on hold at some point. Interviews are still going! I know people in my class who interviewed in Feb. stay strong people and happy new year!

• Care
Have any accepted folks received a scholarship?
I was accepted early December. Still haven’t received all of the formal stuff they said would go out, but I also spoke with the person running the MD/MPH program and was told I shouldn’t expect to hear anything until later this month.

Have any accepted folks received a scholarship?
I received an invitation to interview for a scholarship a couple weeks after my acceptance came. Not sure if the process is the same for all the scholarships, but the one I'm interviewing for, you'll get an email informing you that you've been selected as a candidate and asking you to confirm your intent to apply.

Happy New Year to all! Admitted students - We aim to send out an email this weekend or early next week with info including a class FB page and more. Email with the same information will roll out to folks as more acceptances are sent out, so don't fret if you haven't gotten any news yet!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I was looking at the last year thread and noticed that OHSU gave out "A"s in the first week of Jan. Anyone got an update?