2022-2023 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who’s going to campus tour on 12/13?

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else starting to give up hope for a II lol
Having been a lifelong MD resident I'm kinda bummed ngl

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jc bc this is the only school I’ve applied to that’s not pass/fail for preclinical. Does anyone view that as a strength of the program? If so, why?

Jc bc this is the only school I’ve applied to that’s not pass/fail for preclinical. Does anyone view that as a strength of the program? If so, why?
Its only a strength if you’re able to get mostly honors through those 2 years. That would definitely look great. Otherwise, I feel like it makes you look worse than others at P/F schools. One of my best friends is a 3rd year right now and always emphasizes how hard it is to be involved in other activities because of the pressure to get honors.

Reactions: 2 users
Its only a strength if you’re able to get mostly honors through those 2 years. That would definitely look great. Otherwise, I feel like it makes you look worse than others at P/F schools. One of my best friends is a 3rd year right now and always emphasizes how hard it is to be involved in other activities because of the pressure to get honors.
Ditto on this. I got seriously bad vibes on interview day. They mainly recruited M1s to do the tours who had only JUST completed the single true p/f class before tiered grading, which definitely felt disingenuous having them share their 2month experience at UMSOM. Very unrepresentative and naive takes like "I love UMSOM and no I don't feel stressed with the grading."

The second you asked the M2s about tiered P/F and lifestyle balance, you see the light leave their faces. Its not about complaining about the stress of grades or work/life balance, its about having the mental energy and time to invest in research and extracurriculars.

Reactions: 1 users
Ditto on this. I got seriously bad vibes on interview day. They mainly recruited M1s to do the tours who had only JUST completed the single true p/f class before tiered grading, which definitely felt disingenuous having them share their 2month experience at UMSOM. Very unrepresentative and naive takes like "I love UMSOM and no I don't feel stressed with the grading."

The second you asked the M2s about tiered P/F and lifestyle balance, you see the light leave their faces. Its not about complaining about the stress of grades or work/life balance, its about having the mental energy and time to invest in research and extracurriculars.

Thank you for the input! I also don’t see this leading to the collaborative environment seen at P/F schools. Maybe they don’t grade on curves and take a “everyone can have honors if you meet a specific threshold” approach to avoid this but that feels like it defeats the purpose lol. It feels like such a massive red flag for a well ranked school I feel like I’m missing some sort of perceived benefit. Especially when higher/similarly ranked schools are pass/fail. Most residencies state they don’t care about grades in pre-clinical so I wish I knew their logic for keeping this!

Reactions: 1 user

I am really late to the party here, but I interviewed here on 9/12 and was accepted 10/31 (OOS, no ties, LM 72). I was also just at the campus for an accepted students day where I talked to many current medical students (at least 1 or 2 from each year of medical school). Even after having a long tour with an M1 and an M4 where we asked them a million questions, I do not think that the students at this school seemed overly stressed. In fact, they all seemed really excited to share their thoughts with us, and many of them were involved with research and other extracurriculars. Pure P/F certainly seems nice, but the tiered grading system at UMSOM is not done on a curve and class averages are usually no lower than high pass. Furthermore, as far as I know, it is grades from M3 and M4 which are most important, and those are tiered in most medical schools anyway.

I just wanted to share my experience, and I hope that this is helpful.

I am really late to the party here, but I interviewed here on 9/12 and was accepted 10/31 (OOS, no ties, LM 72). I was also just at the campus for an accepted students day where I talked to many current medical students (at least 1 or 2 from each year of medical school). Even after having a long tour with an M1 and an M4 where we asked them a million questions, I do not think that the students at this school seemed overly stressed. In fact, they all seemed really excited to share their thoughts with us, and many of them were involved with research and other extracurriculars. Pure P/F certainly seems nice, but the tiered grading system at UMSOM is not done on a curve and class averages are usually no lower than high pass. Furthermore, as far as I know, it is grades from M3 and M4 which are most important, and those are tiered in most medical schools anyway.

I just wanted to share my experience, and I hope that this is helpful.

Def helpful! Tysm, I still don’t totally see the benefit to the school when tiered M3/M4 is what matters most. But it’s super helpful to know that the students don’t all seem to feel the potential stress of grading and ranking. Interviewing here soon and I’d rather get these qs out of the way now than to seem awkward/prying asking about it later

Last edited:
I really feel like I must have screwed up my student interview. I have close ties, LM 72, and had a great faculty interview where he basically said I was going to get in, and he wanted me in his lab. I don't know where I went wrong to get WL. I interviewed early like Dr. Quezada said to do. I can't move states right now because of family stuff and I don't know if I will be able to move when school starts either. I'm devastated and just needed to get this out. :(

• Care
I really feel like I must have screwed up my student interview. I have close ties, LM 72, and had a great faculty interview where he basically said I was going to get in, and he wanted me in his lab. I don't know where I went wrong to get WL. I interviewed early like Dr. Quezada said to do. I can't move states right now because of family stuff and I don't know if I will be able to move when school starts either. I'm devastated and just needed to get this out. :(
I'm sorry to hear that. When did you hear back and when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any interviewer that says that you’re basically getting in, in my opinion, is doing a bad job since they can’t guarantee that at all. Remember that your interview is only one part of your application and that they review everything when they make a decision. You could have been waitlisted for any reason, even just luck so don’t be hard on yourself. I’m sure your interview was great. I’ve heard others say their interview was bad and they were accepted. Who knows how they make these decisions.

They do pull people off the waitlist. You can write an LOI and really describe why you want to go to UMSOM including the personal and familial reasons. You got this!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who interviewed Late Sept/Early Nov hear back? looks like the results waves for earlier interview dates had a quicker turn around time...getting nervous

Did anyone who interviewed Late Sept/Early Nov hear back? looks like the results waves for earlier interview dates had a quicker turn around time...getting nervous
Interviewed early November and I haven't heard back. I believe they told us we would hear back 4-6 weeks after?

Did you mean late oct/early Nov?

Also they’re rolling admissions, the dean said they release decisions as they are made. Perhaps a decision wasn’t made on your file yet.

interviewed early nov and haven’t heard anything but possibly this week on wed?

Got in just moments ago via phone call. Still wiping the tears of joy.
This is me being super neurotic, but what time did you get it? Today or next Wednesday is when my decision is supposed to come out

This is me being super neurotic, but what time did you get it? Today or next Wednesday is when my decision is supposed to come out

My call was Monday evening, 5:40pm! Then Wednesday got the email.
When my interviewer called I was told that they had just left the committee meeting and my decision was made!

My call was Monday evening, 5:40pm! Then Wednesday got the email.
When my interviewer called I was told that they had just left the committee meeting and my decision was made!
Ah, I see. For some reason I thought all the calls came on Wednesday. Thanks for the quick reply

For those of us who interviewed today, when do you think we should expect to hear back by?

Edit: Never mind, based on reading this thread, it looks like 4-6 weeks generally

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this school have an accepted student chat?

Hello, any 10/26 interviewees still waiting to hear back from the Admissions office? It has been 6weeks and i was wondering if i should interpret this delay as a potential bad sign. Did anyone get acceptance after the 6wks timeline? Thank you in advance!

Hello, any 10/26 interviewees still waiting to hear back from the Admissions office? It has been 6weeks and i was wondering if i should interpret this delay as a potential bad sign. Did anyone get acceptance after the 6wks timeline? Thank you in advance!
I'm in the same boat as you. I thought my interviews went very well, but it's just radio silence. I was thinking about sending an update if I don't hear anything by Monday.

I'm in the same boat as you. I thought my interviews went very well, but it's just radio silence. I was thinking about sending an update if I don't hear anything by Monday.

I have a feeling they are behind. A friend of mine interviewed a week before you and got accepted in four weeks, and that was the last time A were given out I think. I interviewed the first week of Nov (right after you) and haven’t heard anything either. I think maybe because of Thanksgiving they’re behind. I would hold off to Wed because apparently that’s when they release decisions usually.

Reactions: 2 users
About to start another interview, but I just got the acceptance email from UMD!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
For those that got an II, how differently did the portal look? Did a new tab pop up, or did the status tab update to show you got an II?
Hi, yes, an interview tab shows and "interview" is also listed as a status update.