2022-2023 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an application update email where I've been placed on hold. Complete 7/22

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Put on hold, IS. The first I have heard from them since finishing secondary in August.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats haha, +1 on this too. UMSOM really dishing out decisions like hell before christmas. Sent an update/LOI yesterday because their adcoms meet Monday night, hoped they read it
Yeah seems like they are trying to wrap things up for the year before Christmas! Congrats on your A!

Still in active review?? Complete September 9. OOS & ORM. I'm shocked they haven't rejected me yet lmao, but their email was really nice.

Is there a difference between being on hold and being under active review?

Reactions: 4 users
Is hold email different than the active review email? Also are people on hold pre or post ii?

Reactions: 1 users
Hold. IS complete early August. Wonder if historically this is a soft R? Also looks like they stop giving out II sometime in February so maybe still hope.

Is hold email different than the active review email? Also are people on hold pre or post ii?
the email said hold and active consideration so I think it's the same thing.

would someone who was placed on hold mind sharing what their email said?

The email:
The Committee on Admissions at the University of Maryland School of Medicine has made an initial review of your application and will need more time to reach a final decision as to whether or not to invite you for an interview. Please be assured that this situation is not an unusual one. The limited number of interview slots, the very large number of applicants, and the competitive nature of the selection process this year have made many of our decisions very difficult. Your application has been placed on hold.

The Committee will periodically review your application and will notify you as soon as a final decision has been reached. At that time you will either be invited to interview or you will be notified that the Committee on Admissions cannot consider your application further.

Please keep in mind that this is a year-long process. Interviews are conducted at the School of Medicine through the month of February. Therefore, you may not receive a definitive notification regarding your status for some time, and we appreciate your patience in this process. You are welcome to submit any additional significant information, or updates, in support of your application as you see fit. Updates can be uploaded directly into the application portal on the Status tab. I assure you that any new information you submit will be included in your file. Please keep all other inquiries to a minimum so that the Committee on Admissions can complete the task of selecting the next entering freshman class.

I thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland, School of Medicine. Please remember, your application is still under active consideration.

The hold email sounds like a regular hold email. The active consideration email sounds like “we haven’t read your app yet” email.

Reactions: 3 users
Now the question is which one is better to have gotten 😅
ok cool, so the active review email is different for anyone wondering, this is what I got-
"Thank you for applying to the University of Maryland School of Medicine. We know it's been a while since you submitted your application and want to provide you with an update. At this time, your application is still under active review. When the Committee on Admissions has made a decision you will be notified via email. Please keep in mind that this is a year-long process.

If you have any new information you would like to add to your application you can upload documents to the application portal on the Status tab. I assure you that any new information you submit will be included in your file. Please keep all other inquiries to a minimum so that the Committee on Admissions can complete the task of selecting the next entering freshman class."

Reactions: 3 users
Any news from anyone who interviewed 11/9? Crossing my fingers I hear something before 2023 lol

Now the question is which one is better to have gotten 😅
I think the hold means they have read your app and they are choosing to continue to consider you, meaning they read your app and did not go okay let's reject, and neither did they go okay let's interview. So you are kind of in the middle. The other email just sounds like a regular 'we are continuing to read apps" email.

the email said hold and active consideration so I think it's the same thing.

My email didn’t use the word hold anywhere so I wonder if diff people are getting diff emails

just got the active review email! OOS URM complete 8/25

Wow, I'm still under active review! Thanks UMSOM!

• Haha
active review as well, complete 8/3-ish, OOS but strong ties to MD.

I will say that last cycle I was put on hold and eventually rejected in the spring. not sure if the active consideration email is new
on a related note, i got active consideration email last january, never received hold email and was rejected in march

Reactions: 2 users
Still in active review?? Complete September 9. OOS & ORM. I'm shocked they haven't rejected me yet lmao, but their email was really nice.

Also got the email for “still under active review”, which seems to mean we are still being considered rather than on hold.

Just got the A via email telling me to check the portal. Interviewed 11/7. Good luck all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users