2022-2023 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted 7/18 and haven’t gotten any holds yet. Praying for the best

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if they start to review your file before a casper score is received? or only after? I know its late but I'm taking casper this weekend

does anyone know if they start to review your file before a casper score is received? or only after? I know its late but I'm taking casper this weekend
I don't think Drexel sends you a complete email unless everything including Casper is in. So they probably don't look til then

Reactions: 1 users
Just to clarify, I don’t think anyone is getting ghosted in July 😂😂😂!!! We are all neurotic but I wouldn’t say ghosted til like december. But i did get ghosted last time I applied 😅
Don't you know how our brains work!? No Interview right when someone else says "got II!" that means we got R! at least that is what my brain keeps telling me. But ya it is still so early, but i understand people feeling down already seeing others get IIs especially when they submitted a while ago. Stay strong fellow applicants!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Don't you know how our brains work!? No Interview right when someone else says "got II!" that means we got R! at least that is what my brain keeps telling me. But ya it is still so early, but i understand people feeling down already seeing others get IIs especially when they submitted a while ago. Stay strong fellow applicants!
Not me reading last yr’s thread to compare this yr’s cycle 🫣🫢. But yes, still too early!!!!

Only 40 out of the 300ish students get to go there. It's so highly desired that they have to do a lottery to decide who goes. I talked to a doc who works there a little more than a year ago, so things may have changed
It's not as desirable as you make it sound; it's a new campus so there's always new campus aversion, plus many people want to be in the city area. The urban campus is established, and established is safe. Rent isn't much cheaper in Reading than it is in Philadelphia either. If you're local to the area, even more bonus points for saving a ridiculous amount of rent. When people have to move to a new place, Philadelphia probably sounds more exciting than Reading!
That being said, the West Reading campus does address a lot of things you'll commonly see Drexel criticized for, namely the no teaching hospital thing and the large class sizes which the West Reading campus sort of addresses with its small class size and really close relationship with Reading hospital. Research opportunities (both clinical and wet lab) local to the area are up and coming too, and given that there are no other medical schools in Reading, Drexel students would have a lot of room to explore and get first dibs.

Re: the lottery, you'll find that Drexel does a lot of things by lottery as its usual course of action. That would include campus assignment AND third year rotation sites, though I believe West Reading students get dibs on a year round rotation at Reading hospital. The first year (incoming M2's) they had so many people requesting to transfer to Philadelphia to the point that people who got off the waitlist towards the end could only go to West Reading. This last year (incoming M1's), they didn't grant the transfer to anybody unless you had the most dire of circumstances (so basically no one). There really is no difference in curriculum, and you have faculty and staff helping out on both sides frequently.

I've heard talks of how they'll be expanding the class size at West Reading as more classes go through; it's a campus built to accommodate ~100 students. But the good thing about this is that a lot of students right now can take on leadership in this area to establish things you wouldn't need to do in Philadelphia, which helps build connections within the community and help the students there in the long run. I'm from the area, and the Reading area loves Drexel students being there, which is always a bonus.

Hmm, quick thing. For the second question would mentioning having a daughter and the struggles I have had with maintaining a full time job, taking care of daughter, and maintaining volunteer stuff count as a challenge that have impacted my experiences (she is less than a year old so I actually took a month off to help partner care for her in the first month).

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a hold today (via email)

Incoming MS1 at WR campus here… most students put Philly as their first option. So those students who put WR first will almost definitely get that option. This may change as the campus becomes better established but for now, WR is not “highly desired”. I will say, it is a beautiful campus with a lot of potential. The building is brand new and the partnership with Reading Hospital definitely makes it desirable in my opinion. However, students still seem to want to be at the Philly campus.

Edit to say, I had this misconception and thought because only 40 students got accepted to WR, that it would be competitive and therefore I would definitely get assigned the Philly campus. This was not the case. Feel free to DM me for more information or if you have any questions!
Only 40 out of the 300ish students get to go there. It's so highly desired that they have to do a lottery to decide who goes. I talked to a doc who works there a little more than a year ago, so things may have changed
N=1 but I put WR as my desired location and they assigned me that campus. But a few things to point out - MS3 students at WR campus are guaranteed rotations at Reading Hospital. Also, Reading Hospital recently announced their opening of very competitive residency programs, so it may be good for students who rotate there. But take this with a grain of salt since I'm not sure how this all works. Good luck!

Much rather not hear anything than get a hold, especially when IIs haven’t been sent out yet
Yeah, based on the past cycle, people who got on hold typically don't get an interview. But that's just a small portion given not all are on SDN lol. So maybe there are just the few that get interviews later on.

How long are people's essays for the two prompts? Mine is 624 words for the first and just worried it's too much.

Oh god yall went in lol. I had like 416 words….

I think it really just depends on how much you have to say, more words isn't always better

Yeah definitely! I would imagine that the adcom probably dont wanna read a super long essay but if it’s meaningfully long then its definitely a plus for sure. I suck with writing so the less they see the better

Clarification!
Screenshot 2022-08-01 161327.png

Reactions: 3 users
I am trying to submit an update for my summer grades in the portal. It says that I can submit a transcript, but there isn't a drop-down option for this. Thoughts?

So I guess it’s a good sign if we were complete before this and haven’t received a hold?
it's highly likely that Drexel is not reviewing apps in chronological order. Although it seems like the general trend is that Drexel is reviewing apps that were submitted late June- early July, med schools like to order apps in a way that they would view apps that they would be more interested in. So yea, silence is good but it also doesn't mean everyone without a hold got away from getting one yet

Just got placed on hold, submitted on 7/21

Does your app say you are under review or complete? I submitted on 7/5, but haven't heard anything since. The portal has "your app is ready" for me.

just got put on hold, application complete 7/17
little bit bummed out since i interviewed and was WL two cycles ago here, but best of luck to the rest of the applicants!

• Care
  • Sad
Received and Complete 7/8...no hold or any changes really...

just got put on hold, application complete 7/17
little bit bummed out since i interviewed and was WL two cycles ago here, but best of luck to the rest of the applicants!
Dont stress! Theres a screenshot in the forum above where the school states that a hold is not a rejection, and that you can still definitely get an II from them.