2021-2022 Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you check the portal? I interviewed 11/18 was put on the alternate list the other day. I got an email and its reflected in my portal.
I checked my portal and there’s nothing there :/ I’m going to send them a follow up email tmrw morning

Members don't see this ad.

I checked my portal and there’s nothing there :/ I’m going to send them a follow up email tmrw morning
Let us know how that goes, I might have to do the same in about a week myself :/

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Toledo is still sending out II or is done for the cycle? It seems like it has been quiet for a bit…

Reactions: 3 users
Let us know how that goes, I might have to do the same in about a week myself :/
The AMP portals are slightly (really) behind sometimes, I didn't get the "under review" status until I interviewed, and I'm still "under review" though I've been accepted for a while now lol

If you email them, chances are the dean will email you back through the admissions email. It might be slow given holiday season and the general bustle of the app cycle but the dean was very nice and understanding when I asked her about decision release dates a couple months back!

The AMP portals are slightly (really) behind sometimes, I didn't get the "under review" status until I interviewed, and I'm still "under review" though I've been accepted for a while now lol

If you email them, chances are the dean will email you back through the admissions email. It might be slow given holiday season and the general bustle of the app cycle but the dean was very nice and understanding when I asked her about decision release dates a couple months back!
Thanks for the info! I don't think I'll email them until next week when I'm past the 7 week mark since I don't want to seem impatient, but the wait is killing me. I suspect they're delayed due to the Thanksgiving break, and I honestly just wanna know if I'll have to wait another few weeks as a result. I'll report back whenever I get a response tho lol

Just received the A!! Super stoked and can finally take a breather
I would say it's a Christmas miracle, but you earned this! I was rooting for you and knew you'd get in ;) congratulations!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Got the A yesterday! If there are any current students lurking around on this thread who are willing to answer some questions I have, let me know!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
A! Interviewed 11/18! Best of luck everyone :)

• Love
Accepted on 12/12/21 and interviewed 11/18/21! :)🥳Is there any group for accepted students yet?

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted on 12/12/21 and interviewed 11/18/21! :)🥳Is there any group for accepted students yet?
I would have crapped my pants if I had gotten an acceptance on a Sunday lmao

Congratulations!!!

• Haha
Congrats to everyone that was recently accepted/interviewed! I’m currently an M1 and happy to answer questions about UTCOM now that we’ve finished up our first thread :)

• Love
Congrats to everyone that was recently accepted/interviewed! I’m currently an M1 and happy to answer questions about UTCOM now that we’ve finished up our first thread :)
Thanks for offering to answer our questions!
1.) Are years 1 and 2 P/F or graded? How often are exams?
2.) What is the classroom style? Traditional lecture or flipped classroom where students learn ahead of time on their own?
3.) Do students hang out on campus or is it pretty quiet due to the pandemic?
4.) Are there tutors available for the students riding the struggle bus?
Thank you again!!!!

Thanks for offering to answer our questions!
1.) Are years 1 and 2 P/F or graded? How often are exams?
2.) What is the classroom style? Traditional lecture or flipped classroom where students learn ahead of time on their own?
3.) Do students hang out on campus or is it pretty quiet due to the pandemic?
4.) Are there tutors available for the students riding the struggle bus?
Thank you again!!!!
Years 1 & 2 are purely P/F, which is a huge draw for many students. Unlike other schools that are P/F but have an internal ranking system, UTCOM is true P/F (from what I know). To earn AOA/honors, it’s mostly based on rotations in your 3rd year.

We take a quiz more or less every week, which ranges between 20-45 questions and then have a final exam for every system we learn.

Classroom style is traditional lectures. They are recorded and non-mandatory to attend. We do have team-based learning sessions and pathology book clubs that are mandatory once every unit, so it’s only for those that you have to prepare ahead of time.

Campus is actually pretty busy! Masks are required currently, but the library and common study spaces are open to students. There are certain areas med students have 24 hour access to, so you can be on campus anytime if you’d like.

We do have peer tutors, but they lead group review sessions. You’re welcome to ask as many questions as you’d like during those sessions, but in terms of one-on-one tutoring, I’m not sure that that exists. There are lots of resources and staff available to guide people who are struggling through the material, but you are expected to be self sufficient in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
Years 1 & 2 are purely P/F, which is a huge draw for many students. Unlike other schools that are P/F but have an internal ranking system, UTCOM is true P/F (from what I know). To earn AOA/honors, it’s mostly based on rotations in your 3rd year.

We take a quiz more or less every week, which ranges between 20-45 questions and then have a final exam for every system we learn.

Classroom style is traditional lectures. They are recorded and non-mandatory to attend. We do have team-based learning sessions and pathology book clubs that are mandatory once every unit, so it’s only for those that you have to prepare ahead of time.

Campus is actually pretty busy! Masks are required currently, but the library and common study spaces are open to students. There are certain areas med students have 24 hour access to, so you can be on campus anytime if you’d like.

We do have peer tutors, but they lead group review sessions. You’re welcome to ask as many questions as you’d like during those sessions, but in terms of one-on-one tutoring, I’m not sure that that exists. There are lots of resources and staff available to guide people who are struggling through the material, but you are expected to be self sufficient in a lot of ways.
Thank you so much for the in depth answers! To clarify, how many weeks worth of material are covered per “system”. As in, are you taking a cumulative final for ALL systems or just a final at the end of one particular system (and how big is that?). Also, even though there’s no “one on one” tutoring per se, students still feel supported and able to succeed when they’re struggling? Thank you again!!

Thank you so much for the in depth answers! To clarify, how many weeks worth of material are covered per “system”. As in, are you taking a cumulative final for ALL systems or just a final at the end of one particular system (and how big is that?). Also, even though there’s no “one on one” tutoring per se, students still feel supported and able to succeed when they’re struggling? Thank you again!!
Yes, you take a cumulative final every system. So we’ve had a final for human blueprint, heme/onc, immuno, and infectious disease. These range from about 100-130 questions. Then at the end of the “thread” (aka semester), you take an NBME that is cumulative for all of the material you’ve learned that thread, around 150-160 questions.

And yes, absolutely. I will say that the med school admin and faculty are overall great and really supportive. We have specific staff in the academic enrichment center (AEC) that exist to work one-on-one with you in order to identify your weaknesses and help you come up with a study plan that is better suited to you. They’ll show you where to find extra study resources based on your learning style too (which is something they make us all figure out through surveys).

Honestly, the material you learn in med school (at this stage at least) will not likely require you to need one-on-one tutoring. It’s typically easy to understand, there’s just an incredible volume of material to get through. The peer tutors run review sessions to help focus you on which material is “high yield” and AEC staff will work closely with you to ensure that you’re succeeding. They’ve put a lot of effort into accepting you, so they definitely want you to stay once you’re here :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Yes, you take a cumulative final every system. So we’ve had a final for human blueprint, heme/onc, immuno, and infectious disease. These range from about 100-130 questions. Then at the end of the “thread” (aka semester), you take an NBME that is cumulative for all of the material you’ve learned that thread, around 150-160 questions.

And yes, absolutely. I will say that the med school admin and faculty are overall great and really supportive. We have specific staff in the academic enrichment center (AEC) that exist to work one-on-one with you in order to identify your weaknesses and help you come up with a study plan that is better suited to you. They’ll show you where to find extra study resources based on your learning style too (which is something they make us all figure out through surveys).

Honestly, the material you learn in med school (at this stage at least) will not likely require you to need one-on-one tutoring. It’s typically easy to understand, there’s just an incredible volume of material to get through. The peer tutors run review sessions to help focus you on which material is “high yield” and AEC staff will work closely with you to ensure that you’re succeeding. They’ve put a lot of effort into accepting you, so they definitely want you to stay once you’re here :)
Thank you so much for this, I cannot tell you how much your answers have helped put my mind at ease! Wishing you luck on your med school journey :)

Got the A! Interview was 10/27, and the email came in around 3 pm!

LM 67, WARS 78. I also emailed the admissions team about timelines. This is truly the best Christmas present ever! Good luck everyone!

• Love
Got the A! Interview was 10/27, and the email came in around 3 pm!

LM 67, WARS 78. I also emailed the admissions team about timelines. This is truly the best Christmas present ever! Good luck everyone!
Congrats!!! Stoked for you

Hey @sheapremed , would it be possible to text you with some more specific questions? I have my interview coming up soon and I would love to get a bit more info on your experience! If you send me a DM I will give you my number/email/whatever you're comfy with :)

Hey @sheapremed , would it be possible to text you with some more specific questions? I have my interview coming up soon and I would love to get a bit more info on your experience! If you send me a DM I will give you my number/email/whatever you're comfy with :)
I’ll message you! Good luck on the interview. Anyone else who may have more specific questions can feel free to message me :)

Accepted today :) happy new year everyone!!!

• Love
  • Care
Hi everyone! I was accepted 11/13 and haven't heard much since, I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about where they are in the process getting info out to accepted students?

It may still be too early, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Super excited! Can't believe I haven't thought to check SDN before lol.

Hi everyone! I was accepted 11/13 and haven't heard much since, I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about where they are in the process getting info out to accepted students?

It may still be too early, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Super excited! Can't believe I haven't thought to check SDN before lol.
GZ! Did you get the info on scholarships?

I'm trying really hard to find a match list of Toledo's graduating classes. The most I'm finding is the number of people who matched into what specialty, what states, and most common hospitals, but nothing is connected together. Does anyone know where I can find a match list with each name connected to a residency and hospital?

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I'm a current M2 at Toledo and @Conics98 DM'ed me about Toledo's match list. Was going to DM them back the info but I figured the rest of the students in this thread might also find some value in my response. Last year, I wrote quite an extensive review of UT (that includes the match list for the past 4 years) -> 2020-2021 Toledo

And the 2021 match list is here: https://www.utoledo.edu/med/student.../UToledoMed-2021-Commencement-Program-web.pdf

Best of luck!
Thank you so much!!!

I think the answer to this is all "no" but have any accepted peeps gotten info for background checks or started a Facebook group (or Discord server 👀)?

Hi! Are there any current Toledo Med students on here? I'd love to ask a couple of question! Thanks.

DMed you already, but for anyone else - current M1 here, ask away!

Any OOS students interviewed already and possibly heard back on decision yet? Got an II last week and interviewing 2/11. OOS with no ties to toledo or NW ohio but NE ohio. Strong stats and ECs. Also, HPSP recipient.

Are there any current students lurking here that could speak on the various scholarship Toledo offers and the likelihood of being granted one?

Is Toledo still sending II? I am IS southeast Ohio
I feel like there is absolutely no way they are done sending IIs, they only got to the II game in September. I remember hearing talk that adcoms across the US med schools were probably going to play with waitlists a little bit. I don't think Toledo is a school that has a massive waitlist usually (I mean they accept well over 80% of students who get IIs), but chances are they're playing the waiting game as well.

I could be wrong but I think a lot of students who have gotten accepted to Toledo so far this cycle have also gotten IIs from other schools too. If that's the case then Toledo could be waiting until February when the AMCAS "choose your medical school tool" is open. They can then see how many people drop Toledo after really successful applicants narrow down acceptances to just 3, as well as how many people click "Plan to Enroll" for Toledo. And I think more IIs will drop after that, when they have a chance to assess their numbers of interested students. So just give it a little time :)

I emailed Toledo to ask about a GroupMe or whatever for accepted applicants but they have yet to respond. So I'm going to take the liberty of making something.

Do you guys want GroupMe or Discord or smthn else? I think more people have GroupMe but Discord has the advantage of being able to create multiple channels + you don't need to share phone # or name

Last edited:
Okay so no one commented so I made a Discord server lol hopefully we can use it to try getting deposits for housing together. The nicer spots get filled really quick apparently, but beyond that we can also talk about whatever. Accepted peeps, PM me for the discord invite link!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, big congratulations to those who have been accepted or invited to interview thus far!

This account is run by UTCOMLS Ambassadors, a group of medical and graduate students at The University of Toledo. We work with the Dean's Office and the Office of Admissions to help bridge the gap between current and prospective students on the Health Science Campus. As we're in the second half of the cycle and many of you are making big decisions in the coming months, we are happy to answer any questions that you may have related to our school. Please feel free to reach out to us on this thread, through private message, or at our e-mail and we will be happy to help. Go Rockets!

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: University of Toledo COMLS Ambassadors
Instagram: @utcomls.ambassadors

Reactions: 11 users
Pre-II R this morning. Completed mid August. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Pre-II R today, complete 9/9. Good luck to everyone still in this!

• Care
I was complete mid Aug. Nothing yet. I'm probably looking at the pre II R too.

• Care