2021-2022 Rutgers, RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the info session, they told is that it's not rolling, that always admit students in Dec. and spring. They did say that sometimes Dean T calls people end of Feb but usually they just guarantee you will hear something end of March
Does this mean that having a later interview does not affect your chances of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Do our cameras need to be on for the pre-MMI session? Should i dress up?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering this too. Can anyone chime in on this?
My session was really chill and very much geared toward helping us feel ready/get questions answered. I don't think you're required to have cameras on but it feels a bit more in person if everyone can see each other. There is also no dress code but it's always good to look put-together (unless you're joining from clinic/lab or something, which I'm sure they understand).

My session was really chill and very much geared toward helping us feel ready/get questions answered. I don't think you're required to have cameras on but it feels a bit more in person if everyone can see each other. There is also no dress code but it's always good to look put-together (unless you're joining from clinic/lab or something, which I'm sure they understand).
Agreed, I was tuning in from work, so I had my camera off half the time. Almost everyone had their cameras on, but it was pretty laid back.

Ok. Some people have been saying they were accepted early. I'm 100% sure these people are talking about Rutgers - Newark, NOT Rutgers - RWJ. It's two completely different schools. This was confirmed in the Q&A for RWJ. Expect decision in 3rd week of March (1/2 the class).

Ok. Some people have been saying they were accepted early. I'm 100% sure these people are talking about Rutgers - Newark, NOT Rutgers - RWJ. It's two completely different schools. This was confirmed in the Q&A for RWJ. Expect decision in 3rd week of March (1/2 the class).
I interviewed with Rutgers RWJMS 01/14 and they told us during our pre-mmi session that we could find out a decision anywhere from third week of February to middle/end of March at latest! I received an acceptance call 02/21 this week from Dr. T - they had mentioned she sometimes calls early if she gets excited :)

Reactions: 4 users
Wondering this too. Can anyone chime in on this?
personally, I turned my camera on and tried to be as engaged as possible!! I did not wear a blazer but I did wear a business-casual knit sweater with a collar :) it was overall a pretty laidback and open-ended event so go with what makes you feel most confident

Rejected on friday, sad

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know anything about the Chancellor's Scholarship for accepted students to apply to? What kinds of projects ideas do they like to see, and does only 1 person get it? I doubt anyone knows tho, but i appreciate any insight!

II yesterday! Does anyone have any advice for prepping for this interview? Do the questions in the interview tab resemble some of the MMI prompts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the typical dress code is/what people wear to accepted students day? Just got the email about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it safe to say if we have not heard from this school yet it is an incoming R? I have ties to the school (complete in July), but have not heard back yet.

Is it safe to say if we have not heard from this school yet it is an incoming R? I have ties to the school (complete in July), but have not heard back yet.
Wouldn’t say it’s safe to say that! I received a II a few days ago after months of radio silence. Like you, ties to the state and complete in July.

Does anyone know if there is a “highest” high priority wait list this year? Also, does anyone know if you reach out to admissions, will they tell you where you are on the high priority wait list?

Thanks!

I would say business casual, but I will be attending it virtually.
i am also wearing business casual! not as professional as the interview but prob more business-like than the virtual pre-mmi session/q&a

Will there be interviews past March 9th? Because if we haven't heard back, then by Friday will the cycle close? I am just thinking that next week is the last week of actually scheduled interviews. This interview waitlist is confusing.

I really want an interview here 😭, I'm IS and haven't been contacted by RWJ at all :/. I wonder if the dream is basically dead now

Does anyone know if there is a “highest” high priority wait list this year? Also, does anyone know if you reach out to admissions, will they tell you where you are on the high priority wait list?

Thanks!
Does your email say something to the like of "high likelihood of being accepted"?

Does your email say something to the like of "high likelihood of being accepted"?
It doesn’t use the terms “high likelihood.” It only says that after people withdraw their acceptances, “we are indeed able to offer acceptances to applicants on our high priority alternate list.” So I don’t know how to interpret that or if they would explicitly tell you if you were in the “highest priority.”

Wow I was high priority here last cycle and this year they rejected me this year

• Care
Did any of the accepted students receive a recent personal email from a faculty member saying that they hope you consider going to RWJMS? I did receive one and am trying to find out if they send them out to all.

Does anyone else think that RWJMS match lists are arguably more impressive than "higher ranked" schools?

Have people with later interview dates like the ones in March historically received A’s. Or are we just interviewing for WL spots?

Did any of the accepted students receive a recent personal email from a faculty member saying that they hope you consider going to RWJMS? I did receive one and am trying to find out if they send them out to all.
nope i didn't!

Does anyone else think that RWJMS match lists are arguably more impressive than "higher ranked" schools?
I don’t really think there’s big difference in school prestige until you hit the T50’s and there’s some schools like Dartmouth, Brown, Tufts, BU, etc who simply just have bigger names which might influence a PD’s view of an applicant. Even then, the match lists aren’t vastly different. Once you start comparing to the T30’s or so is when there’s a noticeable difference. That could be a reflection of any number of things, however.

Does anyone have any insight into the Chancellor’s Scholarship? Wondering what types of essays/projects have won in the past and how strict they are about implementing the specific thing you wrote about.

I received one a couple days ago

Congrats to all accepted. Feel free to ask any questions I can answer (current student!)

I have loved my experience. The faculty are amazing. I have been able to do more research that I thought (did not have access in undergrad) and have been well supported in my community service endeavors!

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, they have had insane matches (i.e. Harvard Dermatology, Harvard Optho, Columbia Plastic Surgery, Penn Neurosurgery, to name a few). I think there are many strong candidates, who have been accepted to and have interviewed at higher-ranked medical schools, but they choose to go to RWJMS because of closeness to family and friends if they are an in-state applicants (including myself). Match lists are very dependent on the candidate, their professional background, and how hard they had worked throughout medical school.

Honestly, they have had insane matches (i.e. Harvard Dermatology, Harvard Optho, Columbia Plastic Surgery, Penn Neurosurgery, to name a few). I think there are many strong candidates, who have been accepted to and have interviewed at higher-ranked medical schools, but they choose to go to RWJMS because of closeness to family and friends if they are an in-state applicants (including myself). Match lists are very dependent on the candidate, their professional background, and how hard they had worked throughout medical school.
We do well! For ease for y’all, linking the match lists for the past several years :)

Congrats to all accepted. Feel free to ask any questions I can answer (current student!)

I have loved my experience. The faculty are amazing. I have been able to do more research that I thought (did not have access in undergrad) and have been well supported in my community service endeavors!
How was your MMI experience? Any tips you may have for those preparing for their MMI interview?

How was your MMI experience? Any tips you may have for those preparing for their MMI interview?
Good luck to those preparing.

It was so long ago and I was also in person, but be yourselves. MMIs can be scary before going into them, but take a second and breath before answering. You want to get to know the school as much as they want to get to know you, so be aware of that as well!

^ would appreciate any tips! :D
Honestly, from my interview, one piece of advice I would give is to really familiarize yourself with the MMI set up. If you’re like me and your limited attention span resulted in missing over half of what was said in the pre mmi info session, refer to the document they send out. My first station definitely took a hit while I tried to navigate where the prompts are and what not.

Quite frankly, their interview day was very poorly set up; it was far less organized than any of the interviews I’ve had thus far. Once you get into the swing of things it’s a breeze, but only having 2 minutes to figure out the technical aspect of things before it’s time to start talking to your first interviewer isn’t great. Even having to click back and forth between zoom and your browser (so you can view the prompt) is distracting and detrimental. If you get the technical things sorted out beforehand, you’ll be at an advantage, as other interviewees will inevitably be distracted my these technological hurdles. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Honestly, from my interview, one piece of advice I would give is to really familiarize yourself with the MMI set up. If you’re like me and your limited attention span resulted in missing over half of what was said in the pre mmi info session, refer to the document they send out. My first station definitely took a hit while I tried to navigate where the prompts are and what not. Quite frankly, their interview day was very poorly set up; it was far less organized than any of the interviews I’ve had thus far. Once you get into the swing of things it’s a breeze, but only having 2 minutes to figure out the technical aspect of things before it’s time to start talking to your first interviewer isn’t great. Even having to click back and forth between zoom and your browser (so you can view the prompt) is distracting and detrimental. If you get the technical things sorted out beforehand, you’ll be at an advantagr as other interviewees will inevitably be distracted my these technological hurdles. Just my two cents.
Thank you for the advice!

Was told i’m on the interview waitlist and their last interview day is march 21 :/

They told us we would have our decisions by the end of the third week of march at the latest (which I thought meant by end of next week). But if they're interviewing until march 21st, does anyone know if the decision would be coming out by the end of that week instead?

Does anyone know if we get an HPWL email whether we get notified at a later point that we're in the top 10 within the HPWL or if we haven't seen that highEST priority noted in the email we got already that we're not within that rank?

anyone who has interviewed in the past week or two know when we’re supposed to hear back? or just before the end of march?

is it a requirement to include parents financial information on the FAFSA? per the rwjms website, it says we need to but i just am hoping for confirmation on that. thanks!