2022-2023 Rutgers (RWJ)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone have any tips/advice for the interview? anything in particular you suggest preparing?
Mine was a pretty straightforward MMI set--nothing too intense or stressful, but also not anything that could need to be specifically prepared for either. As with any interview, just make sure you can present qualities/experiences/abilities that will fit well with their specific mission

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone give insight into what the interviews are like? And how they are structured aside from the fact that they are MMI?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any tips/advice for the interview? anything in particular you suggest preparing?
General interview advice applies.... but for this interview one thing that definitely helped me was reminding myself that some interviewers (if not all) are trained to keep a straight face, which can throw off a lot of ppl. You could be giving an amazing response and your interviewer could look like they'd rather be anywhere else (which could be true lol) but in reality they probably like what you're saying. Also, for MMI it's very important to explain your rationale behind your decisions clearly. If you have time, try to address the what, why, and how of your decision and how it would impact the people involved.

Reactions: 1 user
I just had my interview today and they said they only give out decisions twice in the cycle -- once in December and once in March. They said we should hear back around March 17 so hopefully you should hear back then as well

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if WL emails are sent out before or after acceptance calls? I was told during my interview that we'd get a call by the 17th but I'm assuming thats not the case if you're WLed

Last edited:
Does anyone know if WL emails are sent out before or after acceptance calls? I was told during my interview that we'd get a call on the 17th but I'm assuming thats not the case if you're WLed
looking at the previous threads from the past few years, it seems like they email around the same time (like within a day or so), also they said on the 17th specifically?

Does anyone know if WL emails are sent out before or after acceptance calls? I was told during my interview that we'd get a call on the 17th but I'm assuming thats not the case if you're WLed
I interviewed in November and got the HPWL in December. For the Fall interviews, they called the As first on Thursday (12/22) beginning around midday and then emailed the WL/Rs the next day on Friday (12/23) later in the afternoon.

Just got a call telling me I’ve been accepted- it was the sweetest call ever and I wish more medical schools called you!

Reactions: 2 users
A just now!! IS, mid Jan interview. Rough week but this makes up for all of it :)

Yea heard back earlier today with the A. Call was very sweet. Only green flags with this school haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A call about 20 mins ago! First A this cycle and I was getting ready to reapply so feels surreal.

• Love
Has anyone received a "highest priority alternate list spot," or is this synonymous with "high priority alternative list spot," I was reading previous threads and heard of a top 10 ranking but there does not seem to be one for this years cycle as far as this thread goes. Also is an high priority alternate spot the same thing as a waitlist position. Sorry there's so much confusion

Last edited:
Has anyone received a "highest priority alternate list spot," or is this synonymous with "high priority alternative list spot," I was reading previous threads and heard of a top 10 ranking but there does not seem to be one for this years cycle as far as this thread goes. Also is an high priority alternate spot the same thing as a waitlist position. Sorry there's so much confusion
As far as I know, the high priority alternate list is the same thing as a waitlist position (just a “high priority waitlist” essentially). Would also be very curious to see if anyone received a “highest HPWL” designation on this thread because it seems to have been something they’ve used in the past couple cycles. It is my understanding that the “highest HPWL” is the top 10 candidates from the HPWL as of years past.

As far as I know, the high priority alternate list is the same thing as a waitlist position (just a “high priority waitlist” essentially). Would also be very curious to see if anyone received a “highest HPWL” designation on this thread because it seems to have been something they’ve used in the past couple cycles. It is my understanding that the “highest HPWL” is the top 10 candidates from the HPWL as of years past.
Does not seem like there are more than 6-7 people on this thread that received high priority alternative list, and no one has reported highest priority with a ranking, maybe they changed their waitlist procedure for this cycle?

Did they release the R/WL decisions for the Spring yet? All I’ve seen reported for the Spring decisions are As.

at the faculty q&a session they told us the new building would be ready around January. but today I came across an article saying the helix building will be done in 2026.. anyone know anything about this?

Last edited:
Sharing some pros/cons. pros: close to home for many, wellness days after exam (many 3 day weekends), community-focused school, lots of service opportunities, primary care opportunities, match list is decent/good, reputation/connections decent for a low tier school (rank 68). cons: not big focus on clinical skills teaching in first two years, many assignments that eat up time, not as much support/research opportunities for students interested in competitive fields, the building isn't good (it's pretty dingy/not cleaned so people do not like studying at school), tend to tell students no a lot/create barriers which can be limiting. Everyone drives to school so you need a car. feel free to PM for further details if you are deciding between schools. Best of luck with any decision you make!
Where do people study then? Is there not a library for group studying?

at the faculty q&a session they told us the new building would be ready around January. but today I came across an article saying the helix building will be done in 2026.. anyone know anything about this?
I thought I remember at my q&a session they said it’ll be done in 2025

Does anyone know how important it is to get AOA out of a school like RWJ if you want a competitive speciality? If you dont get AOA, will you have a harder time matching ortho for example?

Does anyone know how important it is to get AOA out of a school like RWJ if you want a competitive speciality? If you dont get AOA, will you have a harder time matching ortho for example?
I'm sure it helps, but RWJ has a solid reputation looking at res. director rankings, so board scores, research, etc. probably matter more

Guys is Friday jeans or dress pants kind of day? I don’t get the vibe
They said business casual which is such an annoyingly meaningless term lol
I'm gonna go dress pants and a collared dress shirt with no tie; I'd rather slightly overdress than the alternative

hi there, i was placed on the high priority waitlist on 12/22 and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about movement on this list/when i might expect to hear on a final decision. thank you!

hi there, i was placed on the high priority waitlist on 12/22 and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about movement on this list/when i might expect to hear on a final decision. thank you!
I’m sorry if my answer is generic but if it helps at all…5/1 is when all students must narrow to one acceptance so that’s probably the earliest you will hear about your status changing. Within that month is usually most waitlist traffic. Wishing you best of luck and hope you get off this and any other waitlists you might be on, if applicable. Ik this is a frustrating and uncertain time, and my heart goes out to you. Keep your head up!

I’m sorry if my answer is generic but if it helps at all…5/1 is when all students must narrow to one acceptance so that’s probably the earliest you will hear about your status changing. Within that month is usually most waitlist traffic. Wishing you best of luck and hope you get off this and any other waitlists you might be on, if applicable. Ik this is a frustrating and uncertain time, and my heart goes out to you. Keep your head up!
thank you so much! that is very helpful actually. does anyone know if there usually is a lot of movement from the list? and if a letter of intent would hold any weight?

Dean’s scholars scholarship received yesterday. Withdrawing my A here today

Does anybody know the official dates for PTE and CTE for this school? The offer letter says:

RWJMS follows the AAMC choose your medical school guidelines and requests that you select “plan to enroll” by May 1st and “commit to enroll” by June 26th at the latest.

We then received an email later called "RWJMS: Upcoming dates for documents," where they state:

RWJMS asks you to narrow your options to three schools by April 17th. At this point you do not have to select any options. On May 8th we ask that you select “plan to enroll” if RWJMS is your top choice. You may remain on wait lists (alternate lists) at other schools, but should be holding as accepted at only one school on May 8th. We ask that you select “commit to enroll” no later than July 3rd. You may select “commit to enroll” at any point prior to that date if you have decided RWJMS is definitely the school you are attending. At the point you select "commit to enroll" you will be required to withdraw from other schools and all alternate lists.

I am thinking about calling the RWJMS admissions office on Monday to figure it out, but if somebody has done so or gotten word to clarify this, please let me know. Thanks!

Does anybody know the official dates for PTE and CTE for this school? The offer letter says:

RWJMS follows the AAMC choose your medical school guidelines and requests that you select “plan to enroll” by May 1st and “commit to enroll” by June 26th at the latest.

We then received an email later called "RWJMS: Upcoming dates for documents," where they state:

RWJMS asks you to narrow your options to three schools by April 17th. At this point you do not have to select any options. On May 8th we ask that you select “plan to enroll” if RWJMS is your top choice. You may remain on wait lists (alternate lists) at other schools, but should be holding as accepted at only one school on May 8th. We ask that you select “commit to enroll” no later than July 3rd. You may select “commit to enroll” at any point prior to that date if you have decided RWJMS is definitely the school you are attending. At the point you select "commit to enroll" you will be required to withdraw from other schools and all alternate lists.

I am thinking about calling the RWJMS admissions office on Monday to figure it out, but if somebody has done so or gotten word to clarify this, please let me know. Thanks!
After doing more searching, it seems that the PTE deadline is universally mandatory on 4/30 by the latest so that schools can begin seeing this updated yield info on May 1st and beyond. I believe the PTE deadline for RWJ should make sense as May 1st, and I have no idea why they said 5/8 in another later email...I will be calling Admissions Office to clarify their CTE deadline regardless but in the meantime not trying to risk losing a spot over this discrepancy...

Sorry if this is a silly question but do we just email admissions to withdraw our acceptance? Do we need to do anything in the portal or on CYMS? Thanks!

Sorry if this is a silly question but do we just email admissions to withdraw our acceptance? Do we need to do anything in the portal or on CYMS? Thanks!
Sorry for late response...since RWJ does not have a withdraw button on their portal, I would suggest you send an email stating it clearly and then check back with the CYMS tool to make sure it has been updated as "withdrawn after acceptance." Also, make sure to check off at least PTE at this time.

Sorry for late response...since RWJ does not have a withdraw button on their portal, I would suggest you send an email stating it clearly and then check back with the CYMS tool to make sure it has been updated as "withdrawn after acceptance." Also, make sure to check off at least PTE at this time.
What if CYMS is not updated yet and you want to PTE
however if you withdrew and only hold one
Should you contact schools

What if CYMS is not updated yet and you want to PTE
however if you withdrew and only hold one
Should you contact schools
If there is a discrepancy with your CYMS tool and your action of withdrawing, it would not hurt to contact schools to be safe.

Judging from last years thread there is little to no WL or even HPWL movement for this school, do you think its too early to expect any alternate list movement (I heard something about May 8th) or any movement at all for the rest of the cycle at all considering after every year the cycle gets more competitive?

Judging from last years thread there is little to no WL or even HPWL movement for this school, do you think its too early to expect any alternate list movement (I heard something about May 8th) or any movement at all for the rest of the cycle at all considering after every year the cycle gets more competitive?
Really depends on the year. Ngl, I have no idea how this year will play out with waitlists...but I would refer back to the sheet posted here:

Allegedly, RWJ typically takes approx 20 students off their waitlist. Mileage may vary. The may 8th thing is interesting because that is technically when RWJ said students need to put PTE (however, in the offer letter they said 5/1, so again it's confusing). First few weeks of May there tend to be waitlist movement. Trickling around June/July but not unheard of. Wishing the best of luck!