2022-2023 Rutgers (RWJ)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was prewriting my secondary applications and I came across the question of commenting on downward trends in GPA. I was wondering if the following GPA trend should be explained. Thanks!

cGPA/sGPA
Freshman (2017-2018): 4.0/4.0 (30 credits)
Sophomore (2018-2019): 3.59/3.50 (38 credits)
Junior Year (2019-2020): 4.0/4.0 (46 credits)
Senior year (2020-2021): 3.50/3.63 (37 credits) 3 W's/1 C (not in science)

I was prewriting my secondary applications and I came across the question of commenting on downward trends in GPA. I was wondering if the following GPA trend should be explained. Thanks!

cGPA/sGPA
Freshman (2017-2018): 4.0/4.0 (30 credits)
Sophomore (2018-2019): 3.59/3.50 (38 credits)
Junior Year (2019-2020): 4.0/4.0 (46 credits)
Senior year (2020-2021): 3.50/3.63 (37 credits) 3 W's/1 C (not in science)
Hi,
Where are the secondary prompts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received

Anybody else’s Casper score marked as not received?

Reactions: 1 user
[mention]wysdoc [/mention]

1) Please use this space if you would like to provide additional information to the admissions committee. You may choose to elaborate on or clarify details you have previously provided.

2) Prompt asking to describe interest in primary care if interested in PACCE

3) Please feel free to comment on any course grades, GPA trends, or MCAT scores and what you have learned about yourself.

4) If you are applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection:

Can anyone with more experience with this school comment on the new curriculum? Curious what people's impressions are. Thanks!

What are you all putting for "1) Please use this space if you would like to provide additional information to the admissions committee. You may choose to elaborate on or clarify details you have previously provided." Usually this is where I put my GPA inconsistencies/difficultiues, etc but they already have a section for that. I dont want to just type stuff there just for the sake of typing, so I'm not sure if I should just leave it blank.

"If you are applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection:

Please explain (feel free to also use this space to discuss why you would like to attend medical school in NJ):"

Is the second prompt (use this space to discuss why you would like to attend medical school in NJ) still only referring to Out Of State applicants? I am legally an NJ resident but have been studying/working outside of the state for 7 years now... so I am wondering if I may provide some explanation here.

What are you all putting for "1) Please use this space if you would like to provide additional information to the admissions committee. You may choose to elaborate on or clarify details you have previously provided." Usually this is where I put my GPA inconsistencies/difficultiues, etc but they already have a section for that. I dont want to just type stuff there just for the sake of typing, so I'm not sure if I should just leave it blank.
I'm using that space to answer the "why us" question that isn't asked elsewhere. Not sure if that's "right" but it's also super open-ended.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone share the word/character limit for each question?
Thank you!

4) If you are applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection:

For this question ^ would it be okay to use that as a "why us" prompt and go beyond just talking about location?

"If you are applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection:

Please explain (feel free to also use this space to discuss why you would like to attend medical school in NJ):"

Is the second prompt (use this space to discuss why you would like to attend medical school in NJ) still only referring to Out Of State applicants? I am legally an NJ resident but have been studying/working outside of the state for 7 years now... so I am wondering if I may provide some explanation here.
How do you maintain a legal residence in a state that you haven't lived in for 7 years? Attending UG OOS and being a dependent of NJ residents is understandable, but claiming to be a legal resident if you don't live in a state once you are independent is not, just because you happen to be related to residents who can receive mail for you.

It doesn't matter where you work, because a TON of NJ residents work in NY or PA. What matters is where you lay your head at night. Do you pay taxes in NJ even though you don't live there? If not, and you don't live there, you are not a legal resident.

Yes, some explanation is probably going to be necessary. Otherwise, they are likely to think you are trying to game "residency" to gain an admissions advantage and IS tuition if you have not lived in the state for 3 years after graduating from college, as will be obvious from your ECs, no matter what address you use for your application. If you just moved back, that will also be obvious from your gap year ECs, and no explanation should be necessary.

Last edited:
I noticed my CASPer scores were received by other schools but not at RWJ. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed my CASPer scores were received by other schools but not at RWJ. Anyone else notice this?
I am experiencing the same thing. Casper says the results were delivered, but it's not being reflected on the portal.

if you dont have any GPA trend or MCAT to talk about should you just leave the second question blank?

II just now. IS LM 71 submitted 7/15

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone post the secondaries questions here bc they're not listed in the 1st post? I'm applying next yr and would just like to see.

Congrats! What days are they scheduling?
The first day I could do it was second week of october, but I saw a lot of days open in October, November, December etc.

Sorry, late to post, but II on 8/18. Complete 7/21. OOS, LM 75.5. Oct was also earliest to slot I could schedule.

Reactions: 1 users