2021-2022 Rutgers, New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What really is the point of priority alternate if it literally means nothing..
Dead middle of January.
Irritating lmao — I interviewed 1/26…you know kind of thinking there were seats open at least. But why would you interview more students when there are people on the WL??

Members don't see this ad.

Irritating lmao — I interviewed 1/26…you know kind of thinking there were seats open at least. But why would you interview more students when there are people on the WL??
:( lol. I understand what you mean. I was actually one of those students who interviewed late with NJMS. Basically a pointless interview.

Because it is NOT "first come, first served" ANYWHERE. ALL schools place some people from the very first batch interviewed on their WL, while holding seats open for people they like more who happen to interview later.

Maybe by March or April, some schools run out of spots and place people they love on something like the "highest priority of the HPWL." But ALL schools continue to interview and accept people after they have placed people on their WL because they know, from past experience, that they are going to want to accept some of them ahead of some people they have already interviewed and placed on the WL.

This is not unique to NJMS, or to January interviews. The fact that many of those January interviewees are also later placed on the WL is also not unusual, unique to NJMS, or indicative that the class was filled at the time of the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Priority wait list as well. Interviewed in December. This is ridiculous lol

• Wow
Because it is NOT "first come, first served" ANYWHERE. ALL schools place some people from the very first batch interviewed on their WL, while holding seats open for people they like more who happen to interview later.

Maybe by March or April, some schools run out of spots and place people they love on something like the "highest priority of the HPWL." But ALL schools continue to interview and accept people after they have placed people on their WL because they know, from past experience, that they are going to want to accept some of them ahead of some people they have already interviewed and placed on the WL.

This is not unique to NJMS, or to January interviews. The fact that many of those January interviewees are also later placed on the WL is also not unusual, unique to NJMS, or indicative that the class was filled at the time of the interview.
Mhmm I think you’re right in all regards. It was just the first time I had seen it happen first hand and still trying to just wrap my head around it. Wishing the best for everyone truly 🤞🏼🤞🏼 Tomorrow is my grad so imma try not to think about being on 4 WL rofl..

I called admissions to ask if they started reviewing the priority alternate list yet/if anyone has gotten off of it yet and they just said that the list is reviewed periodically up to matriculation.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I called admissions to ask if they started reviewing the priority alternate list yet/if anyone has gotten off of it yet and they just said that the list is reviewed periodically up to matriculation.
There has to be a better way and more efficient one for everyone. So many can’t wait that long and not only because of monetary losses people could inquire due to this ridiculous no real realistic deadline. I understand that the school has to fill their seats and have 100000% commitment from accepted, especially so, setting stricter rules and end of May deadline throughout MD programs is an absolute must must must.

There has to be a better way and more efficient one for everyone. So many can’t wait that long and not only because of monetary losses people could inquire due to this ridiculous no real realistic deadline. I understand that the school has to fill their seats and have 100000% commitment from accepted, especially so, setting stricter rules and end of May deadline throughout MD programs is an absolute must must must.
I never understand why they can’t have deadlines in May right before the new cycle starts. Such inconsideration.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Is there a High Priority Alternate List at this school or is the top waitlist called Priority Alternate List and then just Alternate List?

Does anyone know when the commit to enroll deadline is for NJMS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an ED candidate, was accepted yesterday. Interviewed last week in June.
Congrats, this is awesome! I am applying ED to NJMS this cycle. Do you know if your secondary questions were the same as the regular decision questions? If not, would you mind providing them?

Does NJMS still award the Humanism full tuition scholarships?

Emailed Dr. Heinrich to see what’s going on with alternate lists and he said as of now no positions have become available. :(

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when the last possible day for waitlist movement is??
I think it’s unclear when NJMS CTE is but most schools will have the very last waitlist movement occur around that date. But I believe it’s technically up until orientation

I think it’s unclear when NJMS CTE is but most schools will have the very last waitlist movement occur around that date. But I believe it’s technically up until orientation
Does it work that way for a school youre already committed to as well? Like you have up until orientation to give up your spot?

If ur committed, ur done. I don't think u can uncommit
Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. You can physically uncommit simply by changing the selection in the CYMS tool.

Although I haven't tried it, there is no reason to think you wouldn't be able to do it. Practically, once other schools see you are CTE elsewhere, they will remove you from their WLs, so it is unlikely you would have anywhere else to go, unless a school isn't honoring commitments made elsewhere.

That said, people can and do get cold feet, have last minute emergencies, etc. So, while it is rare, seats do sometimes open up at the last second. Until orientation begins, schools don't know 1,000,000% for sure that everyone is going to show up. That's why they all leave at least a few people on their WLs until that time, and every once in a while you see a report on SDN from someone who received a call a day before or after classes began.

so i paid a deposit at a do school and on the waitlist for this school. Do you know how that process works?
What don't you understand? DO and MD are 2 different systems, and they don't interact with each other. Right now, you are going to the DO school. If this school calls you, and you want to attend, you will forfeit your deposit at the DO school and attend. What else is there to know?

S
What don't you understand? DO and MD are 2 different systems, and they don't interact with each other. Right now, you are going to the DO school. If this school calls you, and you want to attend, you will forfeit your deposit at the DO school and attend. What else is there to know?
Dude i just asked a question…thats what i was wanting to clarify that there is no communication with one another and paying a deposit at one school would not remove me from the waitlist at another school. Thanks.

Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. You can physically uncommit simply by changing the selection in the CYMS tool.

Although I haven't tried it, there is no reason to think you wouldn't be able to do it. Practically, once other schools see you are CTE elsewhere, they will remove you from their WLs, so it is unlikely you would have anywhere else to go, unless a school isn't honoring commitments made elsewhere.

That said, people can and do get cold feet, have last minute emergencies, etc. So, while it is rare, seats do sometimes open up at the last second. Until orientation begins, schools don't know 1,000,000% for sure that everyone is going to show up. That's why they all leave at least a few people on their WLs until that time, and every once in a while you see a report on SDN from someone who received a call a day before or after classes began.
Wtf lmao oh wow I thought once u commit, the option is sealed. I guess I was wrong

None at all???????
Yep. “we have not had any positions available.” I have to find housing soon and don’t wanna be in a position where I have to break a lease for a last minute acceptance. Tough spot.

• Care
Yep. “we have not had any positions available.” I have to find housing soon and don’t wanna be in a position where I have to break a lease for a last minute acceptance. Tough spot.
Ditto. But if that’s what it came down to - would you? I would.

Ditto. But if that’s what it came down to - would you? I would.
I think I would, after weighing the legal and financial implications. I’m moving in to a new place with my bf so I’d feel bad dragging him into a mess.

• Haha
I think I would, after weighing the legal and financial implications. I’m moving in to a new place with my bf so I’d feel bad dragging him into a mess.
I think that’s the worst part about all the waitlist shenanigans! Like….to completely flip our lives (although it would be a happy thing) in just a matter of weeks, right? Some people even have bigger families possibly with kids.

Wtf lmao oh wow I thought once u commit, the option is sealed. I guess I was wrong
Don't hold me to it, since I wouldn't dare try it myself just to report back to you for sure, but my understanding is that the tool never
"locks." It's merely used as a signal to schools, which is why AAMC still advises that we have to communicate acceptances or withdrawals directly with each school.

I know for a fact you can change PTE selections, and I am assuming CTE is just another selection you can change. FWIW, I know for a fact that at least one school has said it won't honor the selection if an applicant who wants to be called off the WL explains that they only selected CTE elsewhere because the school pressured them with an early deadline. YMMV, but this certainly implies that the selection can be changed, or, at a minimum, that you can enroll at a school without being CTE, and withdraw from a school after being CTE.

I think that’s the worst part about all the waitlist shenanigans! Like….to completely flip our lives (although it would be a happy thing) in just a matter of weeks, right? Some people even have bigger families possibly with kids.
You're right. In fact, a lot of people are unwilling to do it, and withdraw from WLs once they hit a point where it will be too disruptive or expensive to make a last minute move. This actually makes it a little easier for those with flexibility to be called last minute. On a related note, many schools avoid the drama by limiting last minute calls to people who are not PTE elsewhere.

You're right. In fact, a lot of people are unwilling to do it, and withdraw from WLs once they hit a point where it will be too disruptive or expensive to make a last minute move. This actually makes it a little easier for those with flexibility to be called last minute. On a related note, many schools avoid the drama by limiting last minute calls to people who are not PTE elsewhere.
Well that's annoying to those who are PTEd somewhere elselol

Well that's annoying to those who are PTEd somewhere elselol
Definitely. Most things about this process are annoying.

Someone else on the RWJMS thread was commenting on people with As not withdrawing from WLs to create more opportunities for those with none (see link below, along with my response), so you can't please everyone. Consistent with the theme of schools really not caring about us, the schools that do this do it because it is easier for them to fill empty seats with people who don't need time to decide, or might turn them down if they don't like fin aid, as it gets closer and closer to orientation.

Just on this thread, I've seen a few people with As already in their stats below their name but are still on a WL here. Just out of curiosity, what is holding you all back from withdrawing from the waitlists, and giving people with no As at all, a chance at moving up the waitlist?

This answer is not specific to RWJMS, but applies equally everywhere. What keeps people from withdrawing is that everyone is entitled to a shot at being accepted to every school they applied to, and remain interested in attending, without regard to whether or not they have other acceptances.

The bottom line is that every open seat at this point in the cycle WILL result in someone, somewhere, who does not already have an A receiving one, because that is the only way open seats get filled, rather than just being shuffled from one school to another. It might just be that the next vacancy at RWJMS might be created by someone being called off the WL at a "better" school and giving up their A at RWJMS!

This is universally true at every school, so there is no point begrudging anyone the right to remain on as many WLs as they like, no matter how many other schools they have been accepted to. It's simply unreasonable to expect anyone to give up a shot at a school they prefer to what they already have, so that any potential available seat can go to an anonymous stranger instead. Every seat, at every school, will be filled by literally 22,000+ anonymous strangers, whether or not someone with an A stays on a WL hoping for a call from any particular school.

Definitely. Most things about this process are annoying.

Someone else on the RWJMS thread was commenting on people with As not withdrawing from WLs to create more opportunities for those with none (see link below, along with my response), so you can't please everyone. Consistent with the theme of schools really not caring about us, the schools that do this do it because it is easier for them to fill empty seats with people who don't need time to decide, or might turn them down if they don't like fin aid, as it gets closer and closer to orientation.
fair, but i guess senidng lois won't hurt my chance. idk

fair, but i guess senidng lois won't hurt my chance. idk
Definitely won't hurt but, at this late date, it's also difficult to see how it would help. It's hard to believe they don't have people ranked right now, even though they are not sharing it with anyone. Given how they haven't had any movement at all, it also really doesn't look like any of this will matter.

On a positive note, given that their CTE deadline isn't for another month, and orientation does not begin until August 1st, it's far too early for them to feel the need to only give As to people who are not PTE elsewhere! :)

• Care
Definitely won't hurt but, at this late date, it's also difficult to see how it would help. It's hard to believe they don't have people ranked right now, even though they are not sharing it with anyone. Given how they haven't had any movement at all, it also really doesn't look like any of this will matter.

On a positive note, given that their CTE deadline isn't for another month, and orientation does not begin until August 1st, it's far too early for them to feel the need to only give As to people who are not PTE elsewhere! :)
Some people I know said they’ve accidentally kept As and WLs even after committing elsewhere. Happens ig but can u imagine if schools weren’t able to see who PTE/CTE elsewhere lol it would be mad chaotic

Some people I know said they’ve accidentally kept As and WLs even after committing elsewhere. Happens ig but can u imagine if schools weren’t able to see who PTE/CTE elsewhere lol it would be mad chaotic
That's why AAMC gave them the ability. For everyone accidentally breaking the rules, I am sure there are many doing it on purpose, especially staying on WLs after CTEing, desperately hoping for a call that will never come.

In the good old days, this was impossible, because the schools could see everything (who had As, and where). Today, AAMC gave them the ability to see almost nothing, so, unless they all want to enforce, the system breaks down and we as applicants have a lot more freedom. Even so, I just haven't seen any reports of people successfully breaking CTE commitments and enrolling elsewhere.

There is just no reason for schools to go there, given the grief they will be given by their peers, and given the huge numbers of people on their WLs who aren't CTE elsewhere.

Well hoping for some waitlist movement lol

• Haha
Maybe something still this month? The fb group is at around 176 so I'm assuming it's full now but who knows?

Maybe something still this month? The fb group is at around 176 so I'm assuming it's full now but who knows?
I have it written down that njms begins their WL review in June, is that correct? Fingers crossed :))

How many priority waitlists do we think that NJMS gave out?

Yes, but priority WL was supposed to begin in May and we saw zero movement. 😭
Ah fuuuuuuq 😭 I’m reallly banking on this call to come this week, I need to start moving my life forward. I ended up uploading my last semester grades bc at this point Y NOT!

Anyone know if out of state students can qualify for in-state tuition after a year?
Nope. As in most states, you cannot become a resident after enrolling if you were not one beforehand. If this was not the case, OOS tuition would only be a one-year thing, everywhere, and would be pretty pointless.

The following statement from the New Jersey Statutes Annotated defines residence for higher-education purposes: "Persons who have been domiciled within this State for a period of 12 months prior to initial enrollment in a public institution of higher education are presumed to be domiciled in this State for tuition purposes. Persons who have been domiciled within this State for less than 12 months prior to initial enrollment are presumed to be non-domiciliaries for tuition purposes."