2021-2022 Rutgers, RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Competition? There were 62,432 applicants last cycle for 22,665 seats in US MD programs. That's as good a reason as any.

4 IIs are pretty good, but it's not 10 or 15, which are "a lot." There were plenty of people with far more than 4 IIs last cycle who ended up on a lot of WLs and never got the call due to the crazy number of applicants, which led to less than expected WL movement at many schools last cycle.

Edit: Based on all the negative reactions, I just want to clarify -- I never meant to imply that 4 IIs wasn't great. I only meant to say that, given how competitive last cycle was, it was not enough, for many, to come close to guaranteeing an A. Under the circumstances, not receiving an A from 4 IIs might very well have been entirely out of the person's control. That's all. I never meant to disparage 4 IIs, which is apparently how everyone is reading it. My bad!!
I think what this person is trying to say is that 4 interview invites does not guarantee an acceptance.. you’re competing amongst thousands for one spot so just because you received an interview does not mean you are automatically accepted, as well as if you received 4. While this does count as a good amount of invites, again, it doesn’t GUARANTEE and acceptance. Also like poster said, if you received 10-15 interview invites and do not have an acceptance, that’s when you can question “all those invites and not one A?”.. there’s so much that goes into an acceptance and an interview invite does not guarantee that is what I think poster was saying. I know people who received 5+ invites last cycle and finally got off the waitlist for ONE school at the end of the cycle in May. While this post is not meant to scare you, it is instead meant to push you to go after your dreams rather than thinking “oh I got this many invites, I’m forsure getting one A”

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Along with the earth being flat, the fake moon landings, and the miracle of Ivermectin, I stand by the 66-67K total number of applicants
I'm just hoping you make good on my unilateral proposal for free consulting services on my reapplication when the number comes in below 60K, as I predicted, and which is now a foregone conclusion. :cool:

Does anyone have the Zoom link for tonight's open house? I tried to register for it like last week but never got the link at all

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when in december they will start sending out acceptances? also does anyone know the post II acceptance rate? thanks!

Question for any current students or applicants who know current students: In an info session I attended recently the faculty member said that the volunteer Promise Clinic only has room for about a third of the student body. Does this mean that it is super competitive to get involved? A student clinic is definitely something I was looking for when applying to medical school, and I would be really disappointed if I couldn't get involved.

Question for any current students or applicants who know current students: In an info session I attended recently the faculty member said that the volunteer Promise Clinic only has room for about a third of the student body. Does this mean that it is super competitive to get involved? A student clinic is definitely something I was looking for when applying to medical school, and I would be really disappointed if I couldn't get involved.
There is an application/screening and interview process to be a student doctor in the promise clinic. It is competitive but if you show that you’re passionate about their mission, you’ll have a good chance of getting in. It’s a 4 year commitment and they accepted about 40 first year students to be student doctors this year. You can also apply to be a part of the committee that helps run the clinic administratively (also 4 year commitment) and I believe they accepted 20 people

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! The portal says there are three time points for decisions (December February March), but In other places they say two (December and Spring). Can someone clarify which one is true? Thanks

welp it's officially December 1st and I have 0 interview invites, reapplication is imminent

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! The portal says there are three time points for decisions (December February March), but In other places they say two (December and Spring). Can someone clarify which one is true? Thanks

Decisions are sent in December and March, respectively.

Those that have received interview invitation/interviewed and now hopefully accepted, please share your stats. Thank you and good luck everyone!

Anyone complete in late July and not hear anything (from RWJ)?

Last edited:
Anyone complete in late July and not hear anything?
Same, but have you heard back from any other schools? This is my first cycle so I don’t know how the waiting game works or if I should just give up

Same, but have you heard back from any other schools? This is my first cycle so I don’t know how the waiting game works or if I should just give up
I wouldn't worry man, I have a few friends who didn't get any interviews until January and they're med students now. There's still time

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't worry man, I have a few friends who didn't get any interviews until January and they're med students now. There's still time
Honestly starting to think I’m the only one without interviews

• Care
Thoughts on sending a combined update/interest letter if I am going to hear back in ~2 weeks? Or should I save for potential WL? I have recently started a new volunteering activity and had an abstract published/accepted in a journal and it's associated conference, but I am unsure if the timing/content of this letter will affect anything at the moment

Thoughts on sending a combined update/interest letter if I am going to hear back in ~2 weeks? Or should I save for potential WL? I have recently started a new volunteering activity and had an abstract published/accepted in a journal and it's associated conference, but I am unsure if the timing/content of this letter will affect anything at the moment
In the same boat here I wanna update on my recent job bc i've gained some incredible clinical exposure but the more I think about it I feel like they made my decision months ago... (interviewed in september)

From what I understand, decisions after interviewing are mainly driven by your interview score. Thus, if you've received an interview, you should wait until post decision to send letters of intent or update as it will likely not weigh into the decision as much as your interview performance will. If you are placed on the wait list, update letters documenting professional achievement serve to strengthen your application further.

Hello anyone who has been interviewed can share some insight on how they sent thank you letter? Dr. Copeland said to upload it as it is easier. I do not know all my interviewers name, can I just address admission as a whole.

Hello anyone who has been interviewed can share some insight on how they sent thank you letter? Dr. Copeland said to upload it as it is easier. I do not know all my interviewers name, can I just address admission as a whole.
Hey, I just sent it to the admissions committee, and tried to write my letter to be inclusive of all the interviewers. That’s what they said to do during the pre-MMI session

Yeah, likely most calls will be made from Tomorrow until before the holidays, based on last year's thread
Alexa, play Eminem Lose Yourself cuz ya boi's palms are getting sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
^Can confirm. Someone in admissions said decisions will come out after 12/15

Hi everyone. Current student here! Good luck this cycle and let me know if you have questions!
Love my experience here so far!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Historically, until when does this school extends interviews? Or if you haven’t heard still, is this a done deal? Do they send rejection letters to applicants that were not interviewed?

According to MSAR the earliest acceptance notice is December 20, 2021

According to MSAR the earliest acceptance notice is December 20, 2021

The winter break starts the 20th. The results have always come out before the break in the past and I suspect the administration would rather enjoy the break. So I would bet on Thursday and/or Friday.

The winter break starts the 20th. The results have always come out before the break in the past and I suspect the administration would rather enjoy the break. So I would bet on Thursday and/or Friday.
I wouldn't put the weekend past them. I received my II on a weekend so they might also let us know this weekend ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Wow
I totally forgot we are approaching that time! Good luck everyone waiting on the call (I have no idea when they are starting those calls, and I was spring calls my year):)

Last edited:
Got the high priority alternate list email from the medical school but nothing from the mdphd

Got the high priority alternate list email from the medical school but nothing from the mdphd
I think this means MD/PhD WL as well. One less option to choose from in April, I guess. At least you have other options :)

Last edited:
  • Haha