2021-2022 Rutgers, RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend and I are on the highest HPWL and can confidently confirm that zero movement has occured
Wow. I guess they over accepted enough such that withdrawals don’t go below their goal class size. That sucks :/

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else get that depressing email from admissions about WL movement?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently crying. But curious what did your email say.
"It is the time in the application cycle where we try to determine likelihood of accepting students off of the alternate lists. At this point we have had no movement into our alternate lists. We believe that we will have some movement late this month or early in June, but also believe this will be limited. We will continue to monitor our list and hope to be able to offer spots. Yet, we felt it was important to provide this status update."

Reactions: 2 users
I got a worse version of that email. Mine says "we do not anticipate offering any acceptances to the majority of applicants in our high priority list category. We know that this not the news you want to hear. We do hope that you are successful at another medical school"

Officially rejected.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I got a worse version of that email. Mine says "we do not anticipate offering any acceptances to the majority of applicants in our high priority list category. We know that this not the news you want to hear. We do hope that you are successful at another medical school"

Officially rejected.
That is a wild email to get while being on the HPWL. I am so sorry.

Officially rejected.
That’s weird. I was put on the HPWL but I got a variation of the email that someone else posted above.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like at least a portion of the list got cut. I am guessin we are going to beseeing a situation similar to 2020 with them not getting through the t10 sadly.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Can other people here who are at highest HPWL confirm if they got the craig90 version (or kang_kaisen version)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can other people here who are at highest HPWL confirm if they got the craig90 version (or kang_kaisen version)?
I seriously doubt anyone at the "highest" got the @Kang_Kaisen version. The question is whether there was a more optimistic one than the @craig90 one?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't, since @JMoneyStackzz hasn't shared exactly what their e-mail said. Regardless, history suggests many, if not all, of the "highest" will ultimately be called.

I know someone who is on the highest HPWL and they got the same exact email as me ("regular" HPWL)

Why is everyone and their cat on the hpwl I am demanding financial compensation for the false hope!!!

Why is everyone and their cat on the hpwl I am demanding financial compensation for the false hope!!!
to be fair we don't know how many people they cut from the hpwl so if they're anticipating "limited" movement maybe its a sign they kept enough for that limited movement and some extra just in case (meaning those of us who got that email actually have some sort of decent chance?). then again this is all speculation

• Care
I am on the highest HPWL and received "It is the time in the application cycle where we try to determine likelihood of accepting students off of the alternate lists. At this point we have had no movement into our alternate lists. We believe that we will have some movement late this month or early in June, but also believe this will be limited. We will continue to monitor our list and hope to be able to offer spots. Yet, we felt it was important to provide this status update."

I am on the highest HPWL and received "It is the time in the application cycle where we try to determine likelihood of accepting students off of the alternate lists. At this point we have had no movement into our alternate lists. We believe that we will have some movement late this month or early in June, but also believe this will be limited. We will continue to monitor our list and hope to be able to offer spots. Yet, we felt it was important to provide this status update."
So the same one as the the regular HPWL. Weird. Has anyone else gotten the kang_kaisen version?

Regular HPWL, craig version. I like the name dedicated to this email version; it's the same as someone discovering a disease and naming it after themselves. Very fitting for a waitlist email update

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Regular HPWL, craig version. I like the name dedicated to this email version; it's the same as someone discovering a disease and naming it after themselves. Very fitting for a waitlist email update
stay tuned for craig version 2.0... the acceptance email ;)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just on this thread, I've seen a few people with As already in their stats below their name but are still on a WL here. Just out of curiosity, what is holding you all back from withdrawing from the waitlists, and giving people with no As at all, a chance at moving up the waitlist?

Just on this thread, I've seen a few people with As already in their stats below their name but are still on a WL here. Just out of curiosity, what is holding you all back from withdrawing from the waitlists, and giving people with no As at all, a chance at moving up the waitlist?
This answer is not specific to RWJMS, but applies equally everywhere. What keeps people from withdrawing is that everyone is entitled to a shot at being accepted to every school they applied to, and remain interested in attending, without regard to whether or not they have other acceptances.

The bottom line is that every open seat at this point in the cycle WILL result in someone, somewhere, who does not already have an A receiving one, because that is the only way open seats get filled, rather than just being shuffled from one school to another. It might just be that the next vacancy at RWJMS might be created by someone being called off the WL at a "better" school and giving up their A at RWJMS!

This is universally true at every school, so there is no point begrudging anyone the right to remain on as many WLs as they like, no matter how many other schools they have been accepted to. It's simply unreasonable to expect anyone to give up a shot at a school they prefer to what they already have, so that any potential available seat can go to an anonymous stranger instead. Every seat, at every school, will be filled by literally 22,000+ anonymous strangers, whether or not someone with an A stays on a WL hoping for a call from any particular school.

Last edited:
If they haven’t even taken anyone off the regular HPWL since before the new traffic rules, then it’s straight up disingenuous to say “we are indeed able to offer acceptances to applicants on our high priority alternate list.”

Just make the ranked HPWL the HPWL, the regular HPWL the alternate list, and reject everyone on the alternate list.

No sense in stringing along hundreds of applicants.

Of course, they do it for their own convenience - in case a huge number of applicants withdraw - so it’s easier for them but more stressful for us.

If they haven’t even taken anyone off the regular HPWL since before the new traffic rules, then it’s straight up disingenuous to say “we are indeed able to offer acceptances to applicants on our high priority alternate list.”

Just make the ranked HPWL the HPWL, the regular HPWL the alternate list, and reject everyone on the alternate list.

No sense in stringing along hundreds of applicants.

Of course, they do it for their own convenience - in case a huge number of applicants withdraw - so it’s easier for them but more stressful for us.
They outright told me that it was “quite likely” I would get in in my email and I am not even in the top 10. Still quite pissed about that

• Angry
Is RWJ open with information about their waitlists?

Like letting you know position on it and if you’re likely to get off etc?

Is RWJ open with information about their waitlists?

Like letting you know position on it and if you’re likely to get off etc?
I would imagine they’d give a generic answer like they’ve been giving to all of us, which is that they “hope to see movement” by the beginning of next month. I feel like they’d be tight lipped about the specifics of it though, such as rankings and how many people are in it. Not looking too bright though, especially being on the regular HPWL myself. It’s Thursday and there’s no news yet, so not looking too hopeful. Already have my app for next cycle tee’d up. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst right?

Just wondering if they over-enroll a ton or if this is really everyone’s first/only choice that has a seat

I would imagine they’d give a generic answer like they’ve been giving to all of us, which is that they “hope to see movement” by the beginning of next month. I feel like they’d be tight lipped about the specifics of it though, such as rankings and how many people are in it. Not looking too bright though, especially being on the regular HPWL myself. It’s Thursday and there’s no news yet, so not looking too hopeful. Already have my app for next cycle tee’d up. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst right?
How did you find out you were on the regular HPWL?

Just based on the initial waitlist email? Like do they specifically say you are on our highest priority or something?

If possible I’d def want to find out that information

How did you find out you were on the regular HPWL?

Just based on the initial waitlist email? Like do they specifically say you are on our highest priority or something?

If possible I’d def want to find out that information
From what I’ve read in prior posts to this thread, people have been explicitly told that they are the highest priority on the high priority alternate list. Other than that you’re just on the regular high priority alternate list or just the alternate list.

Just wondering if they over-enroll a ton or if this is really everyone’s first/only choice that has a seat
I feel like they overenrolled. I wonder if they prefer overenrolling instead of accepting off the WL. Maybe they started overenrolling more as a result of the new traffic rules?

From what I’ve read in prior posts to this thread, people have been explicitly told that they are the highest priority on the high priority alternate list. Other than that you’re just on the regular high priority alternate list or just the alternate list.
Damn so if your waitlist email has no mention of that “highest priority” then you’re just in the regular hpwl?

Damn so if your waitlist email has no mention of that “highest priority” then you’re just in the regular hpwl?
Oh yeah, definitely. When did you interview, and when were you placed on the HPWL?

The "highest priority" seems to be reserved for people who interviewed late and were not notified of the decision until the spring. My theory (unconfirmed) is that this category is reserved for people they wanted to accept but had no spots for in March, since they never seem to go back and give it to anyone placed on the HPWL in the fall.

I feel like they overenrolled. I wonder if they prefer overenrolling instead of accepting off the WL. Maybe they started overenrolling more as a result of the new traffic rules?
Maybe, but they have now had 4 years to adjust. I think they are just like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football. Every year their yield is high and every year they think it's going to be different when it never is.

As long as they are not over enrolled, why should they care whether or not they are going to the WL? Of course, the reason most schools would rather go to the WL to fill out the class is because they don't want the risk of being over enrolled.

As long as they are not over enrolled, why should they care whether or not they are going to the WL?
yeah, they have no incentive to care about WLd applicants
Of course, the reason most schools would rather go to the WL to fill out the class is because they don't want the risk of being over enrolled.
this is what confuses me. isnt overenrolling far worse of a logistical/infrastructure nightmare than underenrolling?

Perhaps they care far more about recruiting competitive (whatever that is in their eyes) students, rather than WLd students, and would rather risk overenrolling if it means they can fill the class with their ideal student body. So they overaccept students that are their preferred type and hope that enough of them stay at rutgers. Their preferred student is probably also sought after by other med schools, so it makes sense to offer acceptances to such students earlier rather than later.

Oh yeah, definitely. When did you interview, and when were you placed on the HPWL?

The "highest priority" seems to be reserved for people who interviewed late and were not notified of the decision until the spring. My theory (unconfirmed) is that this category is reserved for people they wanted to accept but had no spots for in March, since they never seem to go back and give it to anyone placed on the HPWL in the fall.
I was one of the last interviews so I found out pretty recently

I think after this hpwl was even ranked to have a highest high

they have now had 4 years to adjust
Also - I don't think any change in WL movement (before new traffic rules vs now) is due to their lack of adjusting. I think they have reasoned that their new optimal strategy - given the constraints of the new traffic rules - is to overenroll and not utilize the WL.

Last edited:
Also - I don't think any change in WL movement is due to their lack of adjusting. I think they have reasoned that their new optimal strategy - given the constraints of the new traffic rules - is to overenroll and not utilize the WL.
Imho the biggest issue is how unclear their messaging is. I would expect HPWL to have 70%+ chances of admissions, but there is at least 50-100 people on HPWL and I doubt we will make it through 10.

I was one of the last interviews so I found out pretty recently

I think after this hpwl was even ranked to have a highest high
Nah, it's not that the entire list was ranked. It's like I said -- a few people from the later group were given the designation, and they will be the first people called, assuming anyone is called at all. It looks like, as in the past few cycles, that their yield is higher than they thought, and, based on those e-mails they sent out last week, they are now not expecting a lot of movement at all.

Nah, it's not that the entire list was ranked. It's like I said -- a few people from the later group were given the designation, and they will be the first people called, assuming anyone is called at all. It looks like, as in the past few cycles, that their yield is higher than they thought, and, based on those e-mails they sent out last week, they are now not expecting a lot of movement at all.
When you say later group what does that mean?

I’m new to the whole waitlist process so I’m pretty out of the loop

Also - I don't think any change in WL movement (before new traffic rules vs now) is due to their lack of adjusting. I think they have reasoned that their new optimal strategy - given the constraints of the new traffic rules - is to overenroll and not utilize the WL.
They are not actually over enrolling, unless they go above their allotted class size. They are over accepting, and then hoping that enough people drop off to get to their target enrollment.

This has worked for them the past few cycles, as evidenced by the fact that they did make a least a few calls off the Highest of the HPWL, and never asked anyone to defer, but they are playing with fire by utilizing this strategy, because, if they miss, they will have a problem on their hands. I just don't think they are doing it intentionally, because, if they were, they wouldn't be sending out the e-mails earlier in the cycle that now have @Princeton Medical Student rightfully bent out of shape.

I think they just keep foolishly thinking their yield is going to drop from one year to the next, and, as a result, end up over accepting by more than they should, which results in them hitting their desired enrollment number with very minimal WL movement.

When you say later group what does that mean?

I’m new to the whole waitlist process so I’m pretty out of the loop
The process is rolling at RWJMS, as at most other schools. They had been interviewing since last summer, and started sending out decisions in the fall. There was a batch in December that included people who interviewed early enough to be included in that group. The later group included everyone after them.

Now, this is just unconfirmed speculation on my part, but, for the past 3 cycles, I have not seen anyone report being on the HPWL in December and later be told that they are in the highest priority part of the list. This leads me to believe that there are people interviewing towards the end of their interview season who they love, but cannot accept because they are already too over accepted. I think those people are told they are highest priority when the second, later batch of decisions is released in March.

They are not actually over enrolling, unless they go above their allotted class size. They are over accepting, and then hoping that enough people drop off to get to their target enrollment.

This has worked for them the past few cycles, as evidenced by the fact that they did make a least a few calls off the Highest of the HPWL, and never asked anyone to defer, but they are playing with fire by utilizing this strategy, because, if they miss, they will have a problem on their hands. I just don't think they are doing it intentionally, because, if they were, they wouldn't be sending out the e-mails earlier in the cycle that now have @Princeton Medical Student rightfully bent out of shape.

I think they just keep foolishly thinking their yield is going to drop from one year to the next, and, as a result, end up over accepting by more than they should, which results in them hitting their desired enrollment number with very minimal WL movement.
yeah i meant overaccepting, not overenrolling