2021-2022 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! Are there any current OHSU students on this thread that could tell me a little bit more about your rotation schedules?

Here's what I'm wondering:
-Are most rotations on-site at OHSU or do some happen at other hospitals?
-If I remember correctly, one rotation has to be in a rural area, could you give me any examples of some of the rural clinics/options?

Thank you for your help! Just trying to gather more information.
Not sure if you got a reply to this but I didn't see one. I'm a current OHSU student. For your first question regarding rotations, there are core rotations (required) and electives. For the core rotations, most if not all are offered both at OHSU as well as at community hospitals in the area as well as in some rural locations. The school sends an email ahead of time and you fill out your preferences and then you will get matched up with a site. I generally wanted to do most of my rotations away from OHSU and was successful in doing so. Electives can be either at OHSU only or in the community depending on the specific rotation.

With regards to rural clinics/options, I took a look at our 2022-2023 catalog. Some options include EM in Redmond and Seaside; rural family med (this one rotates between a few sites but none specifically are listed); Peds in South Coast and Klamath Falls; IM in Klamath Falls; gen surgery in Redmond, Klamath Falls, Grants Pass, La Grande, Gold Beach; anesthesia in Tillamook, etc. There's also always random ones that pop up (vascular surgery, a VA rotation, etc.) and I believe if you want to go through the hassle you can create your own rotation if you contact people ahead of time to get stuff set up, though this may have been put on pause with COVID. You are correct that you will need one rural rotation for graduation purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if you got a reply to this but I didn't see one. I'm a current OHSU student. For your first question regarding rotations, there are core rotations (required) and electives. For the core rotations, most if not all are offered both at OHSU as well as at community hospitals in the area as well as in some rural locations. The school sends an email ahead of time and you fill out your preferences and then you will get matched up with a site. I generally wanted to do most of my rotations away from OHSU and was successful in doing so. Electives can be either at OHSU only or in the community depending on the specific rotation.

With regards to rural clinics/options, I took a look at our 2022-2023 catalog. Some options include EM in Redmond and Seaside; rural family med (this one rotates between a few sites but none specifically are listed); Peds in South Coast and Klamath Falls; IM in Klamath Falls; gen surgery in Redmond, Klamath Falls, Grants Pass, La Grande, Gold Beach; anesthesia in Tillamook, etc. There's also always random ones that pop up (vascular surgery, a VA rotation, etc.) and I believe if you want to go through the hassle you can create your own rotation if you contact people ahead of time to get stuff set up, though this may have been put on pause with COVID. You are correct that you will need one rural rotation for graduation purposes.
Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. :)

If you don't mind another question: why did you choose to do most of your rotations elsewhere? To make connections for residency matching?

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. :)

If you don't mind another question: why did you choose to do most of your rotations elsewhere? To make connections for residency matching?
No problem, happy to answer questions and provide my opinion.

I actually think a lot of great connections for residency purposes can be made at OHSU. The faculty, at least in my experience, have been more than happy to provide guidance/mentorship and I believe would put in a good word for us at their former institutions where they trained if we impress them.

I chose to do my rotations elsewhere mainly for my own learning opportunities. At the community sites I've been at, I was generally the only med student on that specific rotation and there weren't any residents or fellows around. This made some things more challenging as there was no buffer between the attending(s) and myself, but I also got a ton of hands-on practice (that likely would have gone to someone higher up on the food chain) and direct teaching from the attending(s). I also got to see how care is delivered in different settings and how each institution/organization does certain things slightly different. I don't think you can really go wrong and the rotations I have done at OHSU have been good experiences as well.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed mid-December, accepted just under two weeks ago. Feeling pretty lucky with my <8 week turn around time. Are there any accepted student groups or does anyone know when second look will be? As a Portland native I am SO excited!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed mid-December, accepted just under two weeks ago. Feeling pretty lucky with my <8 week turn around time. Are there any accepted student groups or does anyone know when second look will be? As a Portland native I am SO excited!
1644880634453.png

haha I'm just kidding congrats doc! I think they said student FB group is made in June and I havent seen any news of a second look yet. A couple of accepted people been inquiring about that too

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 350116
haha I'm just kidding congrats doc! I think they said student FB group is made in June and I havent seen any news of a second look yet. A couple of accepted people been inquiring about that too
Lol I have been lurking this thread and watching your posts with great amusement but also empathy. To have BigPremedGuy himself respond to my Q is an honor. Thanks for the answer and hope you get good news soon too!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Lol I have been lurking this thread and watching your posts with great amusement but also empathy. To have BigPremedGuy himself respond to my Q is an honor. Thanks for the answer and hope you get good news soon too!
I care more about BigPremedGuy's cycle than my own at this point lol

Bring home that 'A' king

• Love
  • Care
Man. That was my last shot this year. 4 interviews, 4 R's. See you guys next year. Well, some of you at least.
Sorry to hear on the R. I don't know if this was your first application cycle but I would say it took me a couple attempts to make it in. Don't give up on the dream, it's totally worth it in the end and has absolutely no bearing on how qualified you are or how you'll be as a doc.

Officially 4 months waiting post II today: good luck this week everyone. I'm going crazy lol

edit: at least some sick video games are coming out this month lol
View attachment 350086
Did you get put on hold or are you still waiting for any notice? When I interviewed a few years back (in January) I didn't hear anything for quite a while. Eventually, they put me on hold, maybe in April since I think there used to be a deadline for that? I can't remember. That's the torture of interviewing so early is you end up having so much time to tear your hair out...

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Mmm yeah that’s probably a good idea. I’m sure its just some arbitrary thing with the portal site, but maybe better to be safe
Mine didn’t have this message until today! The interview survey stuff just popped up. It has been a month since I interviewed and now it says

Thank you for interviewing with us. We hope you enjoyed your interview day.
PLEASE NOTE: We will update your status here as soon as a decision has been made.

We would appreciate feedback about your interview day and hope you can spend five minutes completing this survey:

Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision”

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine didn’t have this message until today! The interview survey stuff just popped up. It has been a month since I interviewed and now it says

Thank you for interviewing with us. We hope you enjoyed your interview day.
PLEASE NOTE: We will update your status here as soon as a decision has been made.

We would appreciate feedback about your interview day and hope you can spend five minutes completing this survey:

Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision”
The same thing happened to me and I emailed and asked about this - it didn't seem like a big deal/they reiterated they hadn't reviewed my app at committee yet! Thinking they just forgot to change some applicants' statuses

The same thing happened to me and I emailed and asked about this - it didn't seem like a big deal/they reiterated they hadn't reviewed my app at committee yet! Thinking they just forgot to change some applicants' statuses
Yeah I also just got the response!

Needing some advice for anyone who can help - please :). Applying to med schools this coming summer and am moving to Oregon this summer around May - this would allow me to live in Oregon for the 12 months leading up to school starting. My partner of 5 years lives here and I am really hoping to move closer to the area. Can and if so, should I establish Oregon as my state of residency for applications or leave it as Illinois?

Thank you!

Needing some advice for anyone who can help - please :). Applying to med schools this coming summer and am moving to Oregon this summer around May - this would allow me to live in Oregon for the 12 months leading up to school starting. My partner of 5 years lives here and I am really hoping to move closer to the area. Can and if so, should I establish Oregon as my state of residency for applications or leave it as Illinois?

Thank you!
Yup, make sure to get your drivers license and have your name on the lease. You’ll need the lease for your license.

Yup, make sure to get your drivers license and have your name on the lease. You’ll need the lease for your license.
Got it thank you! Any thoughts on if I would be limiting by chances at an IS acceptance by changing IS residency to Oregon considering the Illinois health system has 3 campuses?

Got it thank you! Any thoughts on if I would be limiting by chances at an IS acceptance by changing IS residency to Oregon considering the Illinois health system has 3 campuses?
I was in the same boat as you. My partner of 5 years moved to Oregon, and I decided to follow along. I changed my residency after some consideration. I was a Texas resident, but my application is weak there even if I had home field advantage and 5+ medical schools. I decided to take the plunge because my application fit well with OHSU’s mission in addition to the advantage of being a resident. It was a calculated move that has gotten my foot in the door for an interview but not accepted yet. This is how I believe I received my other interviews, I made sure I was a mission-fit because residency will only get you so far. I also made sure to do some brief research on the IS acceptance percentages, and OHSU is fairly high for IS. I didn’t apply to Texas, but I highly doubt they would’ve given my application a chance.

So I’d take a look at 2 things to make your decision, mission-fit and statistics of IS advantage.

Thank you!
You should check what schools will consider in-state for Oregon and Illinois. For some states, you can check the "in-state applicant" box on your secondary if you meet certain requirements, even if you don't physically live there. For example, if you graduated from a high school in that state or have parents currently living there. If you grew up in Illinois but live in Oregon as a resident for 12 months, you may be considered an in-state applicant for schools in both states.

Another thing to consider is that many schools will also consider "strong ties" (like growing up in or having lived in that state for an extended time period) even if you are technically an out of state resident. It would be worth it for you to apply to Oregon and Illinois state school regardless of your residency. Although, this may also depend on the school and their specific policies.

After sixteen weeks, look as good, you will not...

10-400x225.jpg

Dear Diary,

What a peculiar and oddly expensive land this. It is much unlike the others. Ravens from the Midwestern and Californian lands arrived with correspondence within 4 weeks of interviewing, yet the Pacific Northwestern skies remain empty. It appears the ancient texts were true. OHSU is not bound by the idea of "time". Fortunately, I took heed of the warnings of past threads so I have provisions to last me until April 31st. Though much longer than that... Umbasa only knows.

MM

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
BD0E5DC5-5C6B-4E91-9A58-64D48EA838BB.jpeg

Here’s ya’lls Thursday meme, have a good weekend!!

• Haha
Pre-II R, OOS, complete 08/27.
I'm sorry to hear that man :( Did they email you or did you log in and see something? If you saw something on your portal, where do you look?

I'm sorry to hear that man :( Did they email you or did you log in and see something? If you saw something on your portal, where do you look?
I wonder why they are slowly rolling out these pre-II R. They need to rip the band aid because I have a small glimmer of hope from them and it's driving me crazy. Complete 9/24 (after submitting 7/18).

I got a status update email and then checked the portal. thank youu but it's ok, I'll just be headed to the midwest for med school looks like.

• Care
I wonder why they are slowly rolling out these pre-II R. They need to rip the band aid because I have a small glimmer of hope from them and it's driving me crazy. Complete 9/24 (after submitting 7/18).
lol, got my pre-II R right now. Good luck friends!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Invited to the accepted students FB group via email yesterday ~2 weeks post acceptance. Email stated they had sent out just over 80 acceptances at this point. Less than half the total acceptances to go out but higher than some of the numbers I've seen floated on this thread for the number of pre-April acceptances.

Invited to the accepted students FB group via email yesterday ~2 weeks post acceptance. Email stated they had sent out just over 80 acceptances at this point. Less than half the total acceptances to go out but higher than some of the numbers I've seen floated on this thread for the number of pre-April acceptances.
Gotta imagine, with a class of 140 they accept at least 200 initially? Or is that too high?

Guess it doesn’t matter but feels weird knowing they sent that many acceptances already! Thanks for this info!!

This also makes me think the “80% of decisions don’t come until May 1” is kinda inaccurate lol

Gotta imagine, with a class of 140 they accept at least 200 initially? Or is that too high?

Guess it doesn’t matter but feels weird knowing they sent that many acceptances already! Thanks for this info!!

This also makes me think the “80% of decisions don’t come until May 1” is kinda inaccurate lol
I believe last year they accepted around 230 initially.

During the interview orientation, they said that last year they interviewed 545 people and gave 233 acceptances for a final class of 140.

Things may have changed but I do want to try and give all who are waiting some optimism. I applied to med schools three times. Didn't even a single interview the first two application cycles. The third cycle I got three interviews: OHSU and two DO programs. When I applied, I received an interview for mid-January. About a month after my interview I was moved into the "hold" pool, which at least at the time was super common. Didn't hear anything again until the end of April, when I moved into the waitlist pool. I was far enough down the list that I was basically right on the cusp of whether I'd make it in given the historical data I found on here. I ended up getting accepted right at the start of June and was, as far as I can tell, the second-to-last one who got in (one person in my class found out the Monday night of orientation week!).

Overall point being, it's always super nerve-wracking waiting and wondering and trying to balance being hopeful with having no hope at all. But at the end of the day, good things will eventually come to those who wait. No news can be good news. This is the first year I've ever commented on these forums, usually I just lurk around, but I always hope everyone gets in because I've met many candidates over the years and y'all are super impressive people and would make excellent doctors. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you that you get positive news.

• Care
  • Love
Another week passes with no update. Womp Womp. I'm still hopeful though. Anyway, I was reading around, found this, and thought I'd share. Seems appropriate. Besides, it's high time you jackwagons got some culture in your lives.

Sea-Fever
John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

Sweet dreams, fellow nerds.

• Love
  • Care
Accepted an offer to another school before OHSU has gotten back to me post-interview, how would I let OHSU know? Do I need to let them know? I haven't received an acceptance offer from them, but hopefully withdrawing will give some of you an ounce more hope.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted an offer to another school before OHSU has gotten back to me post-interview, how would I let OHSU know? Do I need to let them know? I haven't received an acceptance offer from them, but hopefully withdrawing will give some of you an ounce more hope.
I sent an email to the mdadmin email account. Similar situation here, accepted in a timely manner somewhere else so I withdrew. I would have considered the school if I had not been waiting 3+ months for a post-II decision. Hope our (potential) spots go to one of you that are still waiting!

I got put on hold last week. Do you think its possible to email admissions to ask where I am on the list? Just curious whether I have a serious shot or not.

What day did final decisions and Alternate list ranking come last year? I just realized my back up school has a deposit due May 1st... hope I don't have to drop that without hearing back from OHSU just as a failsafe... May 1 is a Sunday so do we think final decisions will be that Friday before?

A little neurotic I know but I'm exceptionally poor rn, as I'm sure many of you are lol

What day did final decisions and Alternate list ranking come last year? I just realized my back up school has a deposit due May 1st... hope I don't have to drop that without hearing back from OHSU just as a failsafe... May 1 is a Sunday so do we think final decisions will be that Friday before?

A little neurotic I know but I'm exceptionally poor rn, as I'm sure many of you are lol
Looked like final pre alternate list decisions came out April 29. And the list became ranked a few days into may.