2021-2022 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a University of Iowa account following me on Twitter LOL

OOS finally got my secondary. If you haven't yet, don't worry, it'll come

What's the email address you're getting the secondary from? just in case my email hides it from me

What's the email address you're getting the secondary from? just case my email hides it from me
[email protected] However its easiest if you just set up a filter on gmail to never send things with the keywords admissions, secondary, invite, interview, medicine, etc to spam and mark them with a tag saying med school or something

You can do the same in outlook its just called "rules". I use both too
Oh cool thanks I'll do that. I was just worried because I found outlook blocked a secondary from another school until I actually searched it up.

Is anyone else still waiting on one or two letters to be verified by Carver? I have three approved, but one has been pending for days

Is anyone else still waiting on one or two letters to be verified by Carver? I have three approved, but one has been pending for days
Mine were all marked at once. Is there anything different about this letter like when it was assigned via Amcas or anything? Or if you used interfolio did the quality check pickup anything different?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine were all marked at once. Is there anything different about this letter like when it was assigned via Amcas or anything? Or if you used interfolio did the quality check pickup anything different?
Nothing at all, that’s why I thought it was strange. I’ll give them a call tomorrow!

Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS.

For this question, can we still list currently ongoing activities? A little bit thrown off by the word "completed"

For this question, can we still list currently ongoing activities? A little bit thrown off by the word "completed"
Don't put this bad juju on me. I'd lose 4000 hours of paramedic experience if this wasn't the case. I'd just throw in the towel right there.

In the context of the question, it seems pretty clear that "completed" just means things that you have done (i.e. don't project out).

For example, if you are working as an ER Tech, then talk about the time you have already worked, but don't try to predict new types of patients, a promotion, etc. etc.

It would be a bit absurd if they didn't want you to include ongoing activities because they weren't "completed".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (1500 characters)

For this question, should we include shadowing or no? I shadowed many doctors and don't think I will be able to get descriptions of them to all fit within 1500 characters.

Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (1500 characters)

For this question, should we include shadowing or no? I shadowed many doctors and don't think I will be able to get descriptions of them to all fit within 1500 characters.
It's a medically-related experience, so yes.

The medically-related experiences aren't a 1500 character essay. They are individual 175 character entries that you put in.

Reactions: 1 users
How long are LORs taking to be confirmed by Iowa? Iowa received my letters on 7/15, but they are still showing as pending verification by CCOM in the portal.

Reactions: 3 users
Ongoing is fine. It’s just means don’t list hours and experiences you are going to have after you submit your application

When you run out of characters on the "Enter all your biology coursework" section....

When you run out of characters on the "Enter all your biology coursework" section....
This happened to me on the chemistry section and I had to start abbreviating almost everything

Do we have to actually list ALL of the biology coursework we have completed? Or just the courses that fulfill their requirements? I've run out of room in the biology section and behavioral sciences section so I'm curious if we actually need to list all the courses or just the ones that meet their requirements.

Do we have to actually list ALL of the biology coursework we have completed? Or just the courses that fulfill their requirements? I've run out of room in the biology section and behavioral sciences section so I'm curious if we actually need to list all the courses or just the ones that meet their requirements.
I listed as many as I could!

I listed as many as I could!
I did that as well, but still had some courses that couldn't fit. Hopefully they are just looking at that to make sure we meet the requirements since they have our transcripts to look at the other ones we've taken.

I did that as well, but still had some courses that couldn't fit. Hopefully they are just looking at that to make sure we meet the requirements since they have our transcripts to look at the other ones we've taken.
In order to make all mine fit, I started abbreviating stuff. So instead of "University of X" try "XU" and if that isn't sufficient, you could abbreviate the class names

Application marked complete just now! Previously, status was stuck on LORs pending (submission 07/15).

Does anyone know what percentage of IS interviewees are offered admission?

i believe if youre above a 3.2 gpa and some other mcat metric, iowa residents are automatically offered an interview. the dean of carver said that in a podcast.
I was referring to the number of people already offered an interview who are then accepted. It looks like it was 119/274 last year which isn't bad considering they interview basically everyone.

How long are LORs taking to be confirmed by Iowa? Iowa received my letters on 7/15, but they are still showing as pending verification by CCOM in the portal.
Application marked complete just now! Previously, status was stuck on LORs pending (submission 07/15).
omg, so it takes about 15 days to verified the letter? That’s insane!!! I had mind ready 2 days ago, thought it is gonna to verify within a few days!

Anyone still waiting on a secondary for OOS? I only added the school two weeks ago but I'm just curious.

Reactions: 1 user