2021-2022 Charles R. Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many out-of-state students they accept?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to check your junk regularly! I am interviewing tomorrow and just found out about a student zoom session scheduled for today.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
congrats! two of my friends from college went to Drew!

At what point/year does your curriculum split from the UCLA students? if at all

Our curriculum mainly had split starting in the third year where people started doing rotations. There's longitudinal lectures/simulations that all students get during the clinical years. The Drew class do it together while the other students (Geffen, MSTP, Prime) do it together. You can still meet/work with non-Drew students during your rotations in MS3 and MS4 year though!

I imagine for the incoming classes, the split may happen a little earlier, since clinical rotations start a little earlier due to the shortened preclinical emphasis in the new curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! Do you mind discussing more about the holistic review process?
Honestly I'm not sure if my answer will be that helpful in this area because I'm not well-informed about what goes behind the scenes! As far as I know, we don't have cut-off scores and we do take into account your whole application. The Drew admissions committee makes their selection of admitted applicants and have those students pass through the UCLA committee afterwards.

Faculty and students can act as interviewers for the 1on1's and MMIs, so we help comment on that for the admission committee. We value those who have demonstrated commitment to values that align with our mission whether it's from personal or extracurricular experience, so it's wise to clearly communicate that in your application/interview!

Thank you so much! I was wondering if you knew if IS or students with strong ties to LA are preferred? I'm a Canadian applicant (primary completed mid July) who hasn't received a secondary yet. I absolutely love this program and was just wondering about their process!
Yeah, great question! I don't know if this was intentional on Drew's end or CA applicants self-selecting to stay in CA, but classes are generally 60-70% IS. A majority of that percentage are people with southern California/LA ties.

Take that as you will though-- that still means a good number of people were OOS! Good luck!

Any movement on II's?

Right lol. I’m 2 days away from driving up there and knocking on doors .

“Let’s get a move on it. Put some pep in your step”

• Haha
i heard they try to do interviews before the end of December? not sure if thats true or not but if it is... ya they need to hurry up lol

i heard they try to do interviews before the end of December? not sure if thats true or not but if it is... ya they need to hurry up lol

Lmaoooooo. They got till Nov 15th before I start sending update letters that say

“???”

Reactions: 2 users
Are they still sending secondaries?
I was verified in early September but nothing yet…
Contacted them couple of times and they said I am under review….

Are they still sending secondaries?
I was verified in early September but nothing yet…
Contacted them couple of times and they said I am under review….
I've been waiting since July lol.

Does anyone know if they accept update letters? I've seen this has been asked before but could not find an answer

For those that interviewed, did you feel stressed or was it mostly chill?

For those that interviewed, did you feel stressed or was it mostly chill?
It was super chill! The Faculty interviewers were awesome. I was super worried about the Group Activity but it went smoothly.

I haven't received a secondary invitation yet and since today is the last day to submit secondaries, can I assume that I'm not going to receive one at all?

I haven't received a secondary invitation yet and since today is the last day to submit secondaries, can I assume that I'm not going to receive one at all?
I did not know today was the last day. I didn't get one either. Looks like I will be taking this school off my list.

Oof same, I thought I had hope for this school since I thought I was mission fit

Email them? Last chance effort wouldn’t hurt. Worst they can do is say no.

So since its after November 19, were basically not going to get secondaries I assume

Same oh well...I was really hoping to get one from but it is what it is :(
Getting a secondary isn't a big deal fam. I had it since October and never got an II. I fit perfectly to their mission but being an OOS might play the role for not getting an interview invite.

Me too! We should probably expect movement in the next two weeks or so considering there are no more new secondary invites for them to process.
Fingers crossed!

if you apply to both DGSOM and Charles Drew, is it possible to get II from both? I got an II from DGSOM early this month and I was wondering if I could possible get one from Drew as well.

if you apply to both DGSOM and Charles Drew, is it possible to get II from both? I got an II from DGSOM early this month and I was wondering if I could possible get one from Drew as well.

I believe so. From what a current student said above, Drew doesn’t communicate with UCLA adcom until they’ve finalized their list of As.

Yes, I interviewed at both this cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know who we should address update letter/LOI to? Is a generic "Admissions Committee" okay?