2020-2021 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you mind sharing your stats? Are you IS or OOS? And when did you submit your secondary & have your interview?
CONGRATS!!
PM me

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if one can become a resident of West Virginia after their first year to get in state tuition?

Reactions: 1 user
How do they notify you of interview invite or any update after you submit secondary? Email? Phone?

Members don't see this ad :)
II today!! Secondary submitted 8/24

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what the approximate post interview acceptance rate is?

Just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you!

• Wow
Hey everyone! I submitted my primary back in July, but didn't receive a secondary yet. My metrics wouldn't cause me to get screened out and when I called the lady said it was because I didn't have a DO letter. I have an MD letter, but most other DO schools I"ve applied to have said they will accept this or that I need one before matriculation (especially given the COVID-19 situation). I was wondering if everyone here had a DO letter?

Hey everyone! I submitted my primary back in July, but didn't receive a secondary yet. My metrics wouldn't cause me to get screened out and when I called the lady said it was because I didn't have a DO letter. I have an MD letter, but most other DO schools I"ve applied to have said they will accept this or that I need one before matriculation (especially given the COVID-19 situation). I was wondering if everyone here had a DO letter?

I have a DO letter. I know some schools are waiving the requirement for this application season (like VCOM), but I do not think WVSOM is one of the schools waiving the requirement.

Reactions: 2 users
Just out of curiosity why did you choose ICOM over WVSOM?

If we're being honest, I spoke with a few students at both places and the immediate response of one was to choose another acceptance over WVSOM. Some in fighting and lower board pass rate scores really swayed me the other way. Plus, I want to go west, not east.

If we're being honest, I spoke with a few students at both places and the immediate response of one was to choose another acceptance over WVSOM. Some in fighting and lower board pass rate scores really swayed me the other way. Plus, I want to go west, not east.
Thanks! I was accepted at WVSOM and ARCOM and still have three interviews in the future (one at ICOM). Just trying to figure out where I should go.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I was accepted at WVSOM and ARCOM and still have three interviews in the future (one at ICOM). Just trying to figure out where I should go.

Go to all of the interviews and then re-evaluate when you have all your As in order!

Hey guys, do you know if we can view our secondary application after we submitted it?

Hey guys, do you know if we can view our secondary application after we submitted it?
No you cannot haha. I worried about it too but they didn't ask me questions about it during my interview

Anyone who interviewed 10/9 get a call today?

Update-- accepted just now!

Last edited:
  • Love
I interview tomorrow.. any tips? I’m kind of nervous

I interview tomorrow.. any tips? I’m kind of nervous
Just be yourself and tell your story! They obviously already like you to invite you for an interview, just take a breath and see it as an opportunity to meet individuals from and learn about your potential future school. You've got this!!

Just be yourself and tell your story! They obviously already like you to invite you for an interview, just take a breath and see it as an opportunity to meet individuals from and learn about your potential future school. You've got this!!
I keep having this recurring fear that they are going to ask me something so different from anything I’ve seen and I just blank haha. I’m hoping it goes well!

Congrats to all the A’s out there! Did anyone get an II and/or A with sub500 MCAT or know how much weight theyre placing on scores this cycle? Is the 125 in each section a minimum requirement or just guidance? Thanks!

Congrats to all the A’s out there! Did anyone get an II and/or A with sub500 MCAT or know how much weight theyre placing on scores this cycle? Is the 125 in each section a minimum requirement or just guidance? Thanks!
Re-posting this because I wanna add this school but not sure if I should because of my MCAT... have high GPA, tons of research and clinical hours. Thanks so much!

Re-posting this because I wanna add this school but not sure if I should because of my MCAT... have high GPA, tons of research and clinical hours. Thanks so much!
I am not knowledgeable about this but I think If you can afford the primary and want to go here then you should apply. They don’t charge for your secondary unless you get an interview I’m pretty sure so it’s not too expensive. You could also call admissions and ask if they have a cut off? Doesn’t hurt to apply except financially, I say go for it.

I am not knowledgeable about this but I think If you can afford the primary and want to go here then you should apply. They don’t charge for your secondary unless you get an interview I’m pretty sure so it’s not too expensive. You could also call admissions and ask if they have a cut off? Doesn’t hurt to apply except financially, I say go for it.
Thanks maybe I will call them— do you know of a good number to get ahold of them? Or might email since they are probably working from home

I was recently accepted with a 500 MCAT score and scores of 125, 125, 126, and 124 in each section. They really consider your whole application. They also do not charge you to complete the secondary.

I was recently accepted with a 500 MCAT score and scores of 125, 125, 126, and 124 in each section. They really consider your whole application. They also do not charge you to complete the secondary.
Congrats on the acceptance! I thought it was they only charge you for your secondary if you're invited for an interview--is that correct?

So my letters appeared in the portal today? Is that a sign of an interview or?

I’m a 3rd year WVSOM student. I was in a similar situation. I was accepted to WVSOM and some other eastern/midwestern schools but I wanted to stay out west as I am from there, had the option to go to ICOM but quickly came to the opposite conclusion. Going to an established, state school like WVSOM that has the statewide resources that it does is sooo much better and stress relieving IMO than going to a relatively new school. I’m sure icom will take care of you for the first two years because they can control that environment, but third and fourth year are different beasts. WVSOM has decade long established rotation sites with years long review forms so you can pick and choose who you are rotating with to make sure you have a good fit. That is huge. I could go on and on, but to address the board scores, I’m a current third year, took USMLE and COMLEX and got in the 80th percentiles. I believe the school preps you enough, but really board prep is a personal journey - but if you are dedicated and follow a plan you’ll succeed; you could probably do that anywhere especially given the amount of board prep programs that abound now. I think the board scores are low because WVSOM caters to non traditional students and has lower admission standards so some students just aren’t great test takers, but they are great clinicians (whole picture applicant consideration). As for the in fighting - I’m a third year student here and have no idea what that is about. I’ve made some lifelong friends here. Sure there were 2 professors I wasn’t huge fans of but that will be everywhere. They also have professors who are amazing and really go above and beyond to help you. The school is constantly progressing, heeding student feedback and making changes. Last thing I’m going to mention... the shift away from numerical board scores to pass fail. I’m not sure if comlex is going to end up that way, but less and less emphasis is going to be put on your board scores. It’s a very lengthy topic, but essentially many believe matching for your class will in part end up based on social capital aka connections with residencies and preceptors and a vast alumni network - which WVSOM absolutely has. Good luck guys!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Received an II today!

Accepted!

Timeline:
Primary submitted on 6/23, secondary received on 7/9, secondary submitted on 7/17, II on 9/16, interviewed on 10/19, and accepted on 10/22

Stats:
OOS with no ties to WV, ORM, DO letter obtained, 497 (124/125/124/124) to 503 (125/123/128/127), 3.61 sGPA, and 3.72 cGPA

Edit: Updated stats

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users