2023-2024 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@NotADoctor00 What is average turnaround time for being marked complete? Secondary submitted 2/12 but portal says my app is still in screening, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I applied to VCOM in October and have not heard anything yet. I made a 502 on the MCAT with multiple takes. I have about 500 clinical hours as a medical scribe. I feel like I am not going to get accepted unless I make above 510. I am thinking about quiting my scribe job to study to full time to get my score up. Is 500 hours as a medical scribe enough? I really enjoy working as a scribe but the stats do not lie that MCAT is the most important factor to getting accepted despite adcoms saying its not.
Okay, so I just talked to the admissions coordinator. She said your MCAT and your clinical hours are good, but there are other factors at play. They also look at your GPA and whether you are within their target region. The VCOM admissions coordinator or admissions director could look at your application and tell you more specifically what might be holding you back. You can give them a call or send them an email.

Reactions: 1 user
@NotADoctor00 What is average turnaround time for being marked complete? Secondary submitted 2/12 but portal says my app is still in screening, thanks in advance!
I asked about the average turnaround time, but they didn't have a specific answer. They said it could take months. If you want to increase your chances, especially if you are outside the target region, you should reach out to them and express your interest in VCOM. Taking the initiative to contact them can really make a difference, especially if you make it clear that you're passionate about attending VCOM or being a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I just talked to the admissions coordinator. She said your MCAT and your clinical hours are good, but there are other factors at play. They also look at your GPA and whether you are within their target region. The VCOM admissions coordinator or admissions director could look at your application and tell you more specifically what might be holding you back. You can give them a call or send them an email.
Thank you you are awesome for helping people on this forum!

Hey all! Is there a GroupMe or another group chat for accepted students?

There is a Facebook
I was added to that! I was just wondering if there’s a place students can chat about smaller/random things without posting in the official Fb group. I’d be willing to create one if other students would be interested.

I was added to that! I was just wondering if there’s a place students can chat about smaller/random things without posting in the official Fb group. I’d be willing to create one if other students would be interested.
I’d be interested in something like this!

Post II-R.
I have really good stats for DO (3.7/519) but messed up the interview.
Make sure to really lean into service/ helping the under-served in rural areas specifically in your interview 100 percent. I didn't and I regretted it right away so not even surprised I got the R

Post II-R.
I have really good stats for DO (3.7/519) but messed up the interview.
Make sure to really lean into service/ helping the under-served in rural areas specifically in your interview 100 percent. I didn't and I regretted it right away so not even surprised I got the R
I'm sorry to hear that, mind me asking how quick the turn around time was?

Is VCOM a school that just rejects people at the end of the cycle? Also, when do they stop sending out interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is VCOM a school that just rejects people at the end of the cycle? Also, when do they stop sending out interview invites?
It is really weird, no communication and nothing from this school. or is it that those they interviewed and accepted are not on this thread?

It is really weird, no communication and nothing from this school. or is it that those they interviewed and accepted are not on this thread?

I was accepted awhile ago, but I honestly am not sure about whether or not they ghost :( I wish I could be more helpful. I think they do send R's out at the end of their interview cycle tho and I'm pretty sure they interview pretty late as well.

What I will say is that DO schools respond extremely well to people expressing interest. So if you haven't had an II yet, I highly recommend doing some sort of update letter or just expressing interest again.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm attending VCOM-VA in July and am currently in the VCOM/Bluefield special masters program. My current program is all online and while I understand that VCOM has a mandatory attendance policy I was wondering if there are any recorded lectures from teachers or live recorded lectures that are uploaded for VCOM students to have access to? I've heard from current students that some people treat the mandatory lectures like study hall studying for other classes or other things. What are the most commonly used study methods? How do most use lecture time? Do most people use tablets to study, take notes, or just go off slides on their computer?

Lastly, if there is any other recommendations or advice to give me please do!!!

Does anyone else's status still say "Your application is incomplete and will be marked complete by admissions after screening."?? I did get the secondary later in the cycle (January), but I submit within a couple days so I'm surprised it's still screening. I emailed admissions and they responded casually with a "you will get an email update when your application is complete", but I am still confused. Anyone else?

I received II here today and they indicated that they are ending interviews mid-April. I really not not want any waitlist thing. Does anyone know if they still have seat?

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted awhile ago, but I honestly am not sure about whether or not they ghost :( I wish I could be more helpful. I think they do send R's out at the end of their interview cycle tho and I'm pretty sure they interview pretty late as well.
How was your interview if you don't mind sharing? thanks

How was your interview if you don't mind sharing? thanks
I actually really enjoyed it! I wasn't sure how I was going to like in-person, but I think they definitely did a good job of making everything very laid back. I actually feel like I came away feeling somewhat bonded to the other interviewees. When I first went in, I wasn't sure if I was going to want to go there if I had other options, but afterwards, I definitely can see myself being happy there. So, overall, enjoyable.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there is an accepted students chat like GroupMe or something similar?

I actually really enjoyed it! I wasn't sure how I was going to like in-person, but I think they definitely did a good job of making everything very laid back. I actually feel like I came away feeling somewhat bonded to the other interviewees. When I first went in, I wasn't sure if I was going to want to go there if I had other options, but afterwards, I definitely can see myself being happy there. So, overall, enjoyable.
I agree with you. It was so welcoming, and interesting. and then the group project was so amazing. Overall, it was a great experience.

did anyone hear anything from the last week interview -4/10?

Interview invitation received today! Completed app in November