2023-2024 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email today saying my application was complete (secondary received in October/November) and would be reviewed

Members don't see this ad.

OOS A!!! I got the call this morning! Interviewed on 1/4

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m still waiting to hear back. Interviewed same day.

And they said decisions by EOD today from the 1/04 interview, as Adcom meets Tuesday, Dean decides Wednesday, phone call with f/u email Thursday and Friday, yet I’m still waiting for the promised decision, and nothing yet

Do we have any data/explanation for the supposed 93% post-II acceptance rate? Or any post-II acceptance rate found?

Reactions: 1 user
OOS (FL) II just now!! So excited especially knowing the high post II acceptance rate! AAAAAAAA

OOS II. I'm going to decline. I hope it goes to one of you guys!

One week since they told me my decision would be released by both email and phone call. Should I email admissions asking about my status?

They said I would hear back definitively by 1/12 but it’s been silence

OOS II 1/17, complete 1/10!

Last edited:
They interviewed on Monday and got back with the decision today.
Good luck to those applying: nice campus, good administration, and they are implementing a week off after each block starting next year.
Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
They interviewed on Monday and got back with the decision today.
Good luck to those applying: nice campus, good administration, and they are implementing a week off after each block starting next year.
Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Hey! How was the interview? Did you talk to any former students on their experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! How was the interview? Did you talk to any former students on their experiences?
Hello! Interview was straightforward. Included questions about yourself, study habits, addressing questions in your grades, what type of doctor you'd like to be known as, and hobbies. And yes! We talked to two first years, a second year, and a third year from OMED! The OMED person is the Junior Pre-Soma Director and she's great. Here's her email: [email protected]. She's usually quick to respond. Does this help?
I'll send you the two first-year student emails privately for their privacy!

Hello! Interview was straightforward. Included questions about yourself, study habits, addressing questions in your grades, what type of doctor you'd like to be known as, and hobbies. And yes! We talked to two first years, a second year, and a third year from OMED! The OMED person is the Junior Pre-Soma Director and she's great. Here's her email: [email protected]. She's usually quick to respond. Does this help?
I'll send you the two first-year student emails privately for their privacy!
Helps a ton! You’re awesome, thanks :)

OOS II today, but I withdrew my app due to a closer to home acceptance i have already. Hoping the II goes to one of you.

My interview is 2/05. Is the consensus that they have a really quick decision turn around? It seems like the people who interviewed on the 4th and 22nd heard back within a week. Can anyone speak to this directly?

My interview is 2/05. Is the consensus that they have a really quick decision turn around? It seems like the people who interviewed on the 4th and 22nd heard back within a week. Can anyone speak to this directly?
Interviewed today. 2 different admins both stated that acceptances should be out by Wednesday or Thursday next week.

Acceptances are that fast. WL and maybe R are slower

I was fortunate to receive an interview for this school, which will be in the upcoming month. However, one thing that is slightly concerning me is that they just started their master's program and are recruiting students for it. I'm worried that I may have received an interview to be considered for that program rather than the school itself. I'm not sure what criteria they will use to recruit students for the program. If I was a science major and had a cumulative GPA of 3.8x, would I be okay? I'm uncertain if these offers for the master's will mainly be given to those they believe do not have a strong scientific background. The reason I ask is because I would heavily prefer to be considered for their DO school rather than the master's and the interview I received was for the DO school.

I was fortunate to receive an interview for this school, which will be in the upcoming month. However, one thing that is slightly concerning me is that they just started their master's program and are recruiting students for it. I'm worried that I may have received an interview to be considered for that program rather than the school itself. I'm not sure what criteria they will use to recruit students for the program. If I was a science major and had a cumulative GPA of 3.8x, would I be okay? I'm uncertain if these offers for the master's will mainly be given to those they believe do not have a strong scientific background. The reason I ask is because I would heavily prefer to be considered for their DO school rather than the master's and the interview I received was for the DO school.
Yeah I saw that master's program. Honestly don't stress yourself out. Getting an interview is huge and means they are really interested in you. Practice answering questions, know your application, and you'll be fine!

Hey! If you got an interview, I’m assuming it’s for the DO school!! Your stats seem amazing so don’t fret about the masters. You got this - it’s like a conversation. Know yourself, your background, why DO, why WVSOM, and why medicine!! Best of luck :)

Yes! Got my decision back a week later.

I got my A today! I love that they call, such a nice touch. I also have an A for ACOM. I'm leaning toward ACOM since I live in Florida and they have rotations in my state. But WVCOM is a great school and more established. Any advice?

I got my A today! I love that they call, such a nice touch. I also have an A for ACOM. I'm leaning toward ACOM since I live in Florida and they have rotations in my state. But WVCOM is a great school and more established. Any advice?

Congrats!! When did you interview?

I am a bit worried about housing. Did current students say that there is a facebook group? How do I join it?
Look up WVSOM class of 2028 on Facebook! There’s been many posts from landlords about housing already. All close to the school and affordable, some houses and some apartments. Honestly wouldn’t be worried about housing for WVSOM, seems to be good amount of options

Awesome! I interview 2/1 and am loving the feedback from everyone about a fast turn around regarding decisions.

Any tips?
My interview was 2 to 1. They asked traditional questions such as why medicine? why WVSOM? and stuff like How do you handle stress? what do you think the hardest part of medical school will be? Just traditional interview questions, no ethics or scenario questions but idk if that's the same for everyone.

Since I'm from a major city in FL they asked me why WV and rural medicine? According to others, they have a very high post-II acceptance rate so I wouldn't stress too much as you're almost in. They just want to see if you are truly interested in their school and mission. Also, they seem to really emphasize a friendly, supportive, and collaborative environment on campus so they're looking for someone who can be a team player.

Interview 02/05 in person. This is my top choice program. Any tips, feedback, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

a question for any current students / alumni:

What’s your thoughts on the new curriculum coming up for class of 2028 students? How are golden weekends “golden” if new material is given the same week as the exam on Friday?

Also, I’ve heard so many great things ab WVSOM (yay :)) but does anyone have CONS ab the school?

Edit: just found out that the material given leading up to the exam is also ON the exam 😂 so it seems like you actually do get a golden weekend lmao.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Another question for current students: Does WVSOM offer students board prep resources (e.g., COMBANK, Pathoma, UWorld)?