2021-2022 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious...For anyone who recently accepted an II, what interview dates were offered?

Members don't see this ad.

After acceptance, is any action required on our part other than pay the 1st deposit? I am waiting on other school so I don't want to pay the deposit yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
For students, who interviewed, when did you receive the email for the interview? Just curious as I filled out my secondary about 4 weeks ago, but have not heard anything back yet.

For students, who interviewed, when did you receive the email for the interview? Just curious as I filled out my secondary about 4 weeks ago, but have not heard anything back yet.
I completed the secondary 7/31 and got my II 9/20

Reactions: 1 user
I just got wait-listed because they said their class is full already.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope for rollover acceptances if you don’t get accepted elsewhere. They do that— so keep that in mind.

Can you explain?
They will extend rollover admissions when they are truly full. This means they admit students for the class of 2027 (not 2026 like what this cycle is applying for.) its not usually until a little later but if this school is where you really want to go, keep that in mind when communicating with them. I was offered one since my MCAT was sent late (stil; no answer as to why) to all my programs. They interviewed me pretty late in the cycle and gave me the rollover.

I just got wait-listed because they said their class is full already.
This is interesting.....If anyone is willing to share their admission decision post 10/22 to confirm that would be much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you respond?
4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
5. How many hours per week are you willing to study in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Enter a number. Optional brief comments about your study habit
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

View attachment 340428

View attachment 340429

View attachment 340430

Source: WVSOM Supplement Application Step 1
Could you confirm that the secondaries are only 500 characters as a limit? or is it 500 words? Thank you!

I know! Exactly. Like it’s only October and I thought DO schools had late cycles! Crazy.
I can say that myself, and at least one other person I spoke to on here so I'm sure there are a decent amount of others, were accepted super late last cycle (as in July 2021) and were allowed deferred admission for the class of 2026. I'm sure that played a role in the class being full already since they already had a number of seats reserved and probably wanted to avoid another situation like that in the futre so tried to fill the class quickly.

Could you confirm that the secondaries are only 500 characters as a limit? or is it 500 words? Thank you!
Hi again! Since I'm seeing your post again and not sure if anyone will answer, I would suggest just logging into the app and starting to type a few words and seeing what happens. Truthfully, I personally don't remember if it was 500 characters or 500 words.

@chemgirl97 and @BrontoPronto did you guys end up doing the secondaries or did you not submit it? I already added them and I am almost done with my secondary but I wanted to get some input from fellow late appliers
I did not submit the primary for them...I know it's not that huge a financial loss in the grand scheme of things but I don't want to essentailly only have a chance at (maybe) interviewing for a wait list

@chemgirl97 and @BrontoPronto did you guys end up doing the secondaries or did you not submit it? I already added them and I am almost done with my secondary but I wanted to get some input from fellow late appliers
I'm gonna submit the secondary. It's free and I already paid for my primary so might as well :/

I did not submit the primary for them...I know it's not that huge a financial loss in the grand scheme of things but I don't want to essentailly only have a chance at (maybe) interviewing for a wait list
I would also take things from all 3rd parties with a grain of salt. Not saying that any information here is inaccurate per se, but it is wise to make decisions off of what you know and not what another applicant says.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call that I was accepted! Interviewed 10/22.

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!!! Do you have any advice for the interview?
It was super laid back and easy. Was 3 interviewers and they just asked about my background and why I was interested in medicine, overall and osteopathic in particular.

I did my interview today (10/28). Do I have a chance to get an A?

They may be sending IIs as seats become available due to people withdrawing acceptance in favor of other schools
Many applicants only get one acceptance, but many also get multiple acceptances. It's the same general characteristics that every school is looking for after all, just a bit of variation in mission fit. I've seen many people here with 4+ A's from DO schools already. If there are 100+ people like that, and I venture to guess there are many more than that, then something like 300+ seats will open up on December 15. That's when these people must either narrow down their multiple A's to one, or pay 2k per seat they want to hold on to.

My guess is that many people sitting on the post-interview WL will receive an A and several II's also go out--on December 15. Unfortunately though, for schools that have already supposedly handed out an entire class size of A's, every interview that occurs from now until matriculation will be for a position on the WL. That can be next in line or last in line. By contrast, if the school hasn't already handed out a class size of A's, then any interview could convert directly to an A.

The lack of flux through the WL right now should be very very small compared to after December 14 because the timeline for submitting the 2k deposit after receiving an A grows smaller and smaller after December 14. Additionally, MD schools have only just begun to hand out their A's and their pace will pick up moving forward.

Just remember to treat every email, every phone call, and every interview like it's your only opportunity for an A. Research the school, take any available tour, and know your primary and applicable secondary application inside and out. We've all done so much work in order to even apply and we need to be 100% ready when opportunity comes knocking.

Reactions: 7 users
Are covid vaccinations and masks required for rotations?
As someone who works in a large teaching hospital, I can't imagine anywhere that students are doing rotations that don't require the vaccination and masks. With that being said, though, since the rotations are statewide and not just within one hospital system, I suppose it could vary? Are there hospitals that aren't requiring staff/visitors to be vaccinated or wear masks? (that was a legitimate question)

• Hmm
For those of you that were accepted, what time of day does admissions usually call? If rejected/waitlisted, do you find out via email or the portal? I want to stop nervously checking my phone for updates from last week…

Are covid vaccinations and masks required for rotations?
You know the crazy part? Nope. Masks, most places, yes. Every rotation I've had has been yes, except for 1 preceptor who would take it off as soon as he walked out of the patient's room. I always wear mine though. They're also not required on main campus.

Vaccines? Nope. It's mindboggling, but nope. They say that "some rotation sites might not allow you to rotate if you don't have it!", but they never required it as a school. It's optional. And the even sadder part is that I know multiple multiple people in my class who haven't gotten it. Why would you ever go into medicine if you don't believe in it?

I've said this before, but WVSOM 100% botched COVID response from the very beginning, and that remains true.

• Angry
  • Wow
For those of you that were accepted, what time of day does admissions usually call? If rejected/waitlisted, do you find out via email or the portal? I want to stop nervously checking my phone for updates from last week…
I got a call with an A about 30 minutes ago. I interviewed last Thursday. ORM, 508 MCAT AND 3.8 cGPA. I didn’t have DO LOR and have okay number of clinical hours. I want to thank @Faha @Goro and @KnightDoc for all the help as I nervously went about my first application cycle. I am excited and looking forward to the rest of the results.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You know the crazy part? Nope. Masks, most places, yes. Every rotation I've had has been yes, except for 1 preceptor who would take it off as soon as he walked out of the patient's room. I always wear mine though. They're also not required on main campus.

Vaccines? Nope. It's mindboggling, but nope. They say that "some rotation sites might not allow you to rotate if you don't have it!", but they never required it as a school. It's optional. And the even sadder part is that I know multiple multiple people in my class who haven't gotten it. Why would you ever go into medicine if you don't believe in it?

I've said this before, but WVSOM 100% botched COVID response from the very beginning, and that remains true.
Wow, that's shocking!! I guess that answers my question about if there are systems that don't require vaccinations.

I sent an update letter to the admissions email about a month ago and never got a response, should I email them again? I don't want to be annoying

I got a call with an A about 30 minutes ago. I interviewed last Thursday. ORM, 508 MCAT AND 3.8 cGPA. I didn’t have DO LOR and have okay number of clinical hours. I want to thank @Faha @Goro and @KnightDoc for all the help as I nervously went about my first application cycle. I am excited and looking forward to the rest of the results.
Any tips? Got mine Monday

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 10/28

After acceptance, is any action required on our part other than pay the 1st deposit? I am waiting on other school so I don't want to pay the deposit yet.
Wondering the same thing. They gave me until Dec 14th for the first deposit, but its so high that it makes me nervous having to pay that soon