2020-2021 Touro University (Vallejo, California) TUCOM-CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my secondary, CA resident, verified 7/28

Members don't see this ad.

can any current students give some advise regarding the interview? How can on best increase their chances for acceptance if an interview's already been granted? What do they seem to look for in an applicant?
Here's a google presentation about med school interviews (Touro in particular). You should do your own research and practice as well. If your institution offers mock interviews, do them!

In the interview, Touro will be looking for an applicant who is genuine, clear, professional and mature. Make sure your answers hit all of those points, icing on top if you're very eloquent as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who interviewed in their panel system, how long approximately was the average answer given by applicants? (e.g. 20 secs, 1 minute etc) . Did you get a sense of how long they want each answer to be or is it all over the place with some giving short concise answers and others giving monologues? Does the panel ever ask a follow up question before moving to the next participant or is it strictly 1 questions per applicant per turn? Did you get a sense of whether there is a sweet spot for the length of the answer based on the reactions of the panel?

The total time in the interview is 1 hour and 15 min, 5 mins of introductions and 5-10ish minutes reserved for questions from applicants at the end. So about 60 min for 5 applicants to answer about 6 questions each. Everything obviously depends on the flow of the actual interview itself so you can parse through the timing math on your own to get an idea of how much time you want to spend answering. There is no rule to the order of questions so it just ends up being the prerogative of the interviewers.
One aspect of the panel interview is to evaluate if you're being respectful of everyone's time. Of course you should answer your questions fully as you deem fit, but be mindful of overly verbose answers, because not only will you be losing the interest of your interviewers, you'll be cutting into other response times. The most impressive answers are said in a clear, concise way that is appropriate in length. You can be the judge of that ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II about an hour ago!! Super excited :)
IS, ORM, Secondary Complete: 8/14

Does anyone know where I can access the match statistics for this program and/or names of programs that students matched into? I cannot find it on their webpage.

2020s match is on first page

Question for any students lurking. How’s housing here? From what I’ve seen there’s not centralized area where most students live, and from a quick search the one bedroom apartments close to campus were more expensive than I’d expect for the quality

2020s match is on first page
Thanks! Are the statistics for the match available anywhere? (percent who matched into first choice etc). Also, do DO programs not publish their match results officially?

Does anyone know how long the dedicated board study period is for TUCOM?

Question for any students lurking. How’s housing here? From what I’ve seen there’s not centralized area where most students live, and from a quick search the one bedroom apartments close to campus were more expensive than I’d expect for the quality
A large handful of students will live in the neighborhood that is on the same island as campus (Mare Island). Houses here are pretty nice, and the island is quiet and far enough from distractions, yet still close enough to the rest of the Bay to be able to have fun on the weekends and such. People also live in Vallejo and around the area (Benicia, American Canyon, Walnut Creek). Some classmates live in Oakland or will even try to commute from Sacramento or San Ramon.
Housing on the island is pretty affordable in my opinion. I'm paying $775 for my room which is pretty spacious and has a walk in closet. I know a couple of friends who are paying maybe 1200ish for an entire one bedroom house to themselves in Vallejo which is super nice.

Some locals will post their rental listings here, but nothing is directly affiliated with the school.

Does anyone know how long the dedicated board study period is for TUCOM?
At the end of second year, we finish our final exams by the end of April. That gives us the entire month of May for dedicated boards studying. Rotations officially start in June, but depending on your rotation schedule, you may end up having a free schedule for June for boards studying too (which most students do).

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of second year, we finish our final exams by the end of April. That gives us the entire month of May for dedicated boards studying. Rotations officially start in June, but depending on your rotation schedule, you may end up having a free schedule for June for boards studying too (which most students do).
Do you have any control over when you start rotations that June or is it random? Also, unrelated question- but where do most do their rotations, is it mostly out of state?

Do you have any control over when you start rotations that June or is it random? Also, unrelated question- but where do most do their rotations, is it mostly out of state?
You have some sort of control. There are several rotation sites, all of which are in CA except for one in NY (I think). You get to rank your rotation sites by preference, and then you will be put into the lottery system which will determine your final rotation site. If you're happy with your site, you keep it. If not, you have the option of trading with one of your fellow classmates. Rotation schedules are then randomly assigned as well, but you have the option of swapping your schedules with a fellow classmate who also has your rotation site.
If you have extenuating circumstances, you may be able to make a direct request to the clinical department to select your own rotation site and schedule (for instance, if you are a caretaker for someone).

For those who interviewed last week, any tips or advise that you would like to share?

Does anyone know if they take the highest scores for each section of the MCAT or is it overall score?

For those who interviewed last week, any tips or advise that you would like to share?
Ima presume you already interviewed, but if not, feel free to PM me.

Also is anyone else who interviewed today low key shocked that the turnaround time for a decision will be Friday? IM NOT READY FOR A REJECTION D:

Ima presume you already interviewed, but if not, feel free to PM me.

Also is anyone else who interviewed today low key shocked that the turnaround time for a decision will be Friday? IM NOT READY FOR A REJECTION D:
I still can't believe it!!! They did say they will email us Friday omg :(

I still can't believe it!!! They did say they will email us Friday omg :(
yes, it was literally a jaw-dropping moment for us all who were expecting at least a couple weeks. Kinda sucks because I didn't do so hot on this interview and am worried that my probable waitlist/R will subconsciously my mindset in the next couple weeks.

congrats on your A btw! If you don't mind where to?

yes, it was literally a jaw-dropping moment for us all who were expecting at least a couple weeks. Kinda sucks because I didn't do so hot on this interview and am worried that my probable waitlist/R will subconsciously my mindset in the next couple weeks.

congrats on your A btw! If you don't mind where to?
Im sure you did fine haha, they also look at your entire application :) my A is from LECOM-E!

For those who interviewed already, did they mention when the deadline is to confirm your acceptance and pay the deposit? Touro NV is 2-weeks after you receive the acceptance letter, so they don't following normal AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines.. Wondering if it's the same for Touro CA

For those who interviewed already, did they mention when the deadline is to confirm your acceptance and pay the deposit? Touro NV is 2-weeks after you receive the acceptance letter, so they don't following normal AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines.. Wondering if it's the same for Touro CA

For Touro CA it is also 2 weeks!

For those who received an interview, how long was it before the admissions team got back to you? I've been calling the numbers they gave for the past two days (since the interview invite) and I haven't received a response! I also left a voicemail.

For those who received an interview, how long was it before the admissions team got back to you? I've been calling the numbers they gave for the past two days (since the interview invite) and I haven't received a response! I also left a voicemail.
the first time I called I was able to talk to someone to schedule my interview

ACCEPTED!!!

edit: via email, not phone call

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted(somehow). ORM/ OOS and LM 66.5!

also the fact they spelled iniquities instead of inequities on the email .-.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Is there any flexibility on the 2-week deposit time frame? This 2 week turnaround is pretty bad timing for me

Is there any flexibility on the 2-week deposit time frame? This 2 week turnaround is pretty bad timing for me
Maybe you can ask about a payment plan? I feel like they may be more understanding than usual because of COVID, etc. :)

For those who are accepted, did you guys get accepted without an interview? Just curious...

For those who are accepted, did you guys get accepted without an interview? Just curious...
What do you mean? Every school requires an interview of some sort. We all interviewed.

Does anyone know if Touro will offer their students iPads or Laptops as a part of their tuition?

How long does it take to receive secondaries from tour-CA? I sent in a primary app about 1 week ago. Was that too late? Stats 3.2/3.2/506

How long does it take to receive secondaries from tour-CA? I sent in a primary app about 1 week ago. Was that too late? Stats 3.2/3.2/506
It’s quite awhile. Was like a month( they screen)

Does anyone know if Touro will offer their students iPads or Laptops as a part of their tuition?
nope and nope. We're a small and newer school compared to the other behemoths in our area (UCSF, Stanford, UC Davis) and not as well-resourced as they are.
We do have an emergency fund for students that you can apply for (example: you're tight on funds and your laptop got stolen and you need one ASAP to complete the remote curriculum)

Everyone has to interview to be considered for acceptance.

Sorry, my bad. I just remember somewhere on the school website, it was worded in such a weird way, sounding like not everyone needs to be interviewed to get accepted.

I was just curious wanted to clarify. Thanks for the clarification!

does this school screen for subsections of mcat before send out secondary?

Last edited:
does this school screen for subsections of mcat before send out secondary? my mcat is 503 with 121 cars, and I submitted my primary august, still did not have a secondary yet

I'm in the same boat as you. Got all my secondaries in except for this school. Completed end of August with cGPA 3.7 and a 505. They are a small school with limited resources. Looks like some people had to email to "remind them."

I'm in the same boat as you. Got all my secondaries in except for this school. Completed end of August with cGPA 3.7 and a 505. They are a small school with limited resources. Looks like some people had to email to "remind them."
similar stats and also only missing this school and liberty. did u try to email them ?

Finally received a secondary from here.... Verified on 8/6.... From the wording of their email, they apparently screen....?

• Wow
similar stats and also only missing this school and liberty. did u try to email them ?

I have NOT. Because they are a small school, I'm trying to be more considerate. So I will email them after my full month. Also they kinda favor in-state and so my chances are slim with my OOS stats.