2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are people from the waitlist or alternative list more likely to be selected for acceptance down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

It is different. But then it asks you to select to "accept alternate offer" even if the letter stated that you are waitlisted.

It is different. But then it asks you to select to "accept alternate offer" even if the letter stated that you are waitlisted.
I was waitlisted and clicked accept alternate status and then was accepted like two days later, so it might be the same idk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview last week on 3/10 while on vacation. Probably going to withdraw from this school. The hefty deposits to pay at DO schools makes it so difficult to choose between multiple schools. Good luck to everyone!

Got an interview last week on 3/10 while on vacation. Probably going to withdraw from this school. The hefty deposits to pay at DO schools makes it so difficult to choose between multiple schools. Good luck to everyone!
Speaking of deposit, does anyone know what the deposit is at Western u?

Was totally prepared to head to another school, but just got an II from COMP! I didn't see this mentioned in the invite email, but how long is the interview day?

Congrats! I would say that it may run a bit long. They will send you a schedule the night before (at least in my experience early January). My day ran about 45 min late @caffeinator123

EDIT: Not late.. I meant later than scheduled. Sorry for any confusion!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an II for the Pomona campus last Friday as well, and am already on the waitlist for a "filled" class for the Lebanon campus from a January interview. I'm assuming we're interviewing for waitlists at the Pomona campus right now, which kinda sucks but oh well! The late cycle DO school II's are really throwing me off lol.

Anecdotally, I know someone who got into WesternU (Pomona campus) last year with a 4.0 / 502, so a 503 isn't a deal breaker but you better have something amazing in your background and fit the school mission well. An improved MCAT will go a long way here at Western. Someone last cycle on SDN was also taken off the alternate list w/ a <500 mcat. These isolated cases, are of course, the exception. From my experiences WesternU places more emphasis on the MCAT than other DO schools. I virtually interviewed here last December with a 504/3.6 but am still on their alternate list despite feeling very positive about my interview day.

If I were you, I would submit your secondary within 10d after receipt if possible, and then note your new mcat date. Keep in mind, adcom will likely hold off on giving you an interview until your new mcat score comes in though.
Did you ever end up getting off the alternate list?

I forgot to send a thank you email after my interview....does anyone think it would make a difference?

should those of us who interviewed the 11th be expecting decisions today?

For those got accepted or currently enrolled in WesternU, do you have any recommendation for where to live? Is it worth staying with Daumier? Welcome any suggestion. You can DM me directly. Thank you in advance.

Daumier is $$ and the area isnt the best. You are 100% paying for the convenience of being near campus and having a "dorm" vibe. I recommend living somewhere nearby. Chino/Chino hills/Diamond bar have good asian food. Ontario is cheap. Upland and Claremont are nice areas.

Daumier is $$ and the area isnt the best. You are 100% paying for the convenience of being near campus and having a "dorm" vibe. I recommend living somewhere nearby. Chino/Chino hills/Diamond bar have good asian food. Ontario is cheap. Upland and Claremont are nice areas.
Thank you for your information. Very helpful and much appreciated.

If I live around 30ish miles/50 minutes from campus, is it worth it to get a place closer to campus or should I just save $ and stay home. Do you gotta be on campus alot?

difficult to say. are you driving with or against traffic? No idea what the school is doing with COVID but you had to be on campus at least 2-3 days my first year. You will def save money living at home, even with today's gas prices... but you will lose time which may be more valuable as a med student

difficult to say. are you driving with or against traffic? No idea what the school is doing with COVID but you had to be on campus at least 2-3 days my first year. You will def save money living at home, even with today's gas prices... but you will lose time which may be more valuable as a med studient
It'll be 50ish minutes with traffic, I was gonna stream lectures. maybe listen during the drive.

It'll be 50ish minutes with traffic, I was gonna stream lectures. maybe listen during the drive.
I don't know about you but just passively streaming or listening to lectures while driving doesn't seem helpful. It's not like you are listening to podcast.

You will learn that streaming lectures/watching lectures doesn't really help much. Look at what the lectures cover, find corresponding material on B&B, pathoma, sketchy, premade anki decks, whatever board resource you want to use (FA if you are up for it... found it to be overkill myself) and watch those. Skim lectures and try to pick out key points or test worthy stuff that you haven't learned yet the day before the test.

Idk what the school will say with Step 1 going P/F but even when it was scored, they told us that class > boards and class will translate to boards. In my opinion (random OMS-III on the internet), studying for boards over studying for class (as long as u can pass class) will set you up better for clinical and for STEP 2 which would probably hold a lot more weight.

Reactions: 2 users
You will learn that streaming lectures/watching lectures doesn't really help much. Look at what the lectures cover, find corresponding material on B&B, pathoma, sketchy, premade anki decks, whatever board resource you want to use (FA if you are up for it... found it to be overkill myself) and watch those. Skim lectures and try to pick out key points or test worthy stuff that you haven't learned yet the day before the test.

Idk what the school will say with Step 1 going P/F but even when it was scored, they told us that class > boards and class will translate to boards. In my opinion (random OMS-III on the internet), studying for boards over studying for class (as long as u can pass class) will set you up better for clinical and for STEP 2 which would probably hold a lot more weight.
I figured this is what I would do, skim lectures and use board resources as main material. Are the lectures /material any good at all?

I figured this is what I would do, skim lectures and use board resources as main material. Are the lectures /material any good at all?
Hit or miss. The hit ones follow board prep material pretty closely. Miss ones are often PhDs who go into the nitty gritty info that you can probably ignore and still pass.

I really liked the physio teacher despite her being a PhD and going in depth in everything. I liked physio going back to undergrad. Found it helped me a lot entering second year/pathology.

Anyone waitlisted hear back yet?
not yet. Based on last years thread it looked like waitlisted people started to hear back in April. Also according to other threads all the waitlisted people were usually taken off the waitlist and then they went on to use the alternate list. So hopefully it is the same this year!

What times are classes usually, how is the library? Is there good places on campus to study

Any 3/17 interviewers hear back? I thought we were supposed to hear back Monday (yesterday)

What times are classes usually, how is the library? Is there good places on campus to study
8a-12p or 4p (depending on day)
Dont know anyone who actually studied in the library, its kinda far (2 blocks-im lazy) Heard it recent got remodeled so it might be nice?
There are a bunch of study rooms in the main building (HEC) right next to the lecture halls

Is there an accepted students Facebook group or something along those lines?

not yet. Based on last years thread it looked like waitlisted people started to hear back in April. Also according to other threads all the waitlisted people were usually taken off the waitlist and then they went on to use the alternate list. So hopefully it is the same this year!
How do you know whether you’re on the waitlist or alternate list? Will they say in the email?

How do you know whether you’re on the waitlist or alternate list? Will they say in the email?
Yeah when they release the decision on your portal they will state if you are waitlisted or alternate.

Is there an accepted students Facebook group or something along those lines?
Yes! Currently, there’s a Facebook group, GroupMe, and a Discord. The FB group does require a westernu.edu email to join though

Do they accept letters of intent? And does anyone know how/where to submit them if they do?

Was just waitlisted. I accepted the alternate status. Interviewed 03/10. I’m still confused as to whether there’s a difference between alternate and waitlist.